• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SE Texas: Hurricane/TS Harvey is here. And still here. Check local alerts & stay safe

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
College Station here. Not even shook, we need the rain though. Weird saying that since this the last few years have seen record rainfall.

120v

ever since hurricane ike i just assume its a matter of time. like every 5-10 years

last time i just booked a room in austin, got out of dodge. i'll do that next time i guess

jmdajr

Time to ship in some from Amazon with 2 day shipping.

I just ordered an expensive cooler. Gonna need ice if the power goes out.

edit: lmao

fe877790_o.png

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Ah, that's why Austin has so much rain in the forecast.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
If it really dumps 5 inches on Austin this will be one of our wetest Summers ever. Usually by now most plants start losing half their leaves due to heat and drought and revive a bit in October, but we just had a lot of rain a week or 2 ago and now this.

Agentnibs

Weird how the first one shows us most likely having Corpus turned into an underwater city but the rain forecast doesn't.

Houston's power grid is held together by twine and twigs so good call on preparing for an outage.

That's because the rain bands generally develop on the north or northern east side.
I'm from corpus (now living in San Antonio), general these things point towards corpus and then always curve up towards Houston. I wouldn't be surprised if the same happens here.

TRios Zen

In Boerne (just north of San Antonio) and damn I'd welcome the rain, we need it.

That being said, be safe Gulf-Coast Texas peeps.

cr0w

Old Member
There are definitely two different attitudes about this storm nationally and locally. Nationally people are freaking out and calling for doomsday scenarios, while locally everyone is just saying prepare for a lot of rain, make sure you're stocked and prepared, and don't freak out. Weather Underground, in particular, is losing their minds about it.

I went out yesterday and bought $70 worth of sandbags to line the perimeter of the apartment with, but we don't have any bayous or anything to worry about so if it's sustained rain as opposed to torrential, brief downpours we should be alright. Filled up on gas this morning and I'm gonna get some water later today. Locally there's literally zero worry from the populace.

Life is Strange: A Hoot in Seabrook

You want to know something even stranger? We apparently have the same first name.

jmdajr

Weird how the first one shows us most likely having Corpus turned into an underwater city but the rain forecast doesn't.

Houston's power grid is held together by twine and twigs so good call on preparing for an outage.

Yeah I'm not worried about drowning. But the AC will be out and so will the fridge. Plumbing might not work either.

So yeah. Food, Water, Ice, Batteries.

These are good to have.

LED LANTERN

d5fafed7_o.png

Phone battery chargers

c2576470_o.png

It will potentially all suck, but no one will be dying.

Well, someone always does something stupid.

Ceej

FML I'm going to Houston for the Coldplay concert for my birthday on Friday... flying into Dallas driving down with family... chances it will be canceled?

The Gulf waters are currently 89 degrees. If this thing approaches slowly over the next 48 hours, it can easily reach Hurricane status. This storm could catch people off guard if they aren't following this closely. The current satellite plus recon info I just saw already show a closed center of circulation (not an eye for those confused) formed.

I live in North Austin, but I'm a bit concerned on how much rain this thing can dump over the course of a day or two. Probably gonna go shopping late tonight just to get some extra food for the weekend.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
eh i won't even fill up on gas

i mean, if its flooding what good is a full tank of gas going to do for you?

Anyhoo near pearland here. Of course they are finally finishing our pool like literally today, aaaaand likely wont even be able to use it this weekend. #firstwordproblems

when is this thing supposed to make landfall?

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis

Anyhoo near pearland here. Of course they are finally finishing our pool like literally today, aaaaand likely wont even be able to use it this weekend. #firstwordproblems

Friday i think.

jmdajr

You can keep your mobile devices charged with your car. Listen to the Radio. Cool off with the A/C as well.

But yeah overall, you don't need gas unless you are planning to leave.

-NeoTB1-

Between Austin and Waco here. Not too concerned about the rainfall in our area, but man... stay safe all you people on or near the coast! I'll be in Galveston next month for my wedding anniversary.

San Antonio here, wdgaf about these tropical storms or hurricanes! Bring it baby
Flood of 2003(?) was horrifying

Yeah, 2003 was bad but only for parts of town, tbh. 98 flood was way worse, since Cibolo Creek was flooded enough to reach the bottom of the railroad tracks by 78.

I'm still going to be cautious, but I'm not really all that worried, either.

You can keep your mobile devices charged with your car. Listen to the Radio. Cool off with the A/C as well.

But yeah overall, you don't need gas unless you are planning to leave.

You should always have gas ready to leave, not just for the storm but possible aftermath. You never know if there will be substantial power grid damage that may effect your area for long periods of time.

jmdajr

You should always have gas ready to leave, not just for the storm but possible aftermath. You never know if there will be substantial power grid damage that may effect your area for long periods of time.

Absolutely. Mine are gonna be full just in case. And in the garage where they belong.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
If you're like me and don't carry cash then go to the ATM and get some out. If there are widespread outages then you will have a hard time buying anything with a debit card.

NH Apache

Banned
OP is telling people not to panic, but to stock up on water and canned food in the same post? Sounds panic inducing IMO.

It's called being prepared. Panic is when you run to the grocery store when the storm is hitting.

Being prepared makes the whole process so much easier. And when you are getting gas, pick up a Powerball so you can rebuild your flooded home.

cr0w

Old Member
Im in West Houston I think I will be good :)

Current forecasts show it basically sitting West of Houston before it loops around back into the Gulf and makes another landfall around Port Arthur, possibly as a Cat 1. You should plan regardless.

Top Bottom