• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SE Texas: Hurricane/TS Harvey is here. And still here. Check local alerts & stay safe

MechDX

The new 12Z GFS model rolling out now looks bad.

Makes landfall as a tropical storm Friday night, loops around for several days and now its heading back onto the coast 4 days later....Moving very slowly.

Up to 47 inches in places.

Pwuyf37.png

Hopefully this model is wrong.

4 feet of rain. good god. I hope thats wrong.

No chance in hell that is right

jmdajr

Makes landfall as a tropical storm Friday night, loops around for several days and now its heading back onto the coast 4 days later....Moving very slowly.

Pwuyf37.png

wtf is that a mistake?

edit:
Greatest rainfall in 24 hours
The biggest rainfall in a day occurred with the passage of Cyclone Denise in Foc-Foc, La Réunion, an island in the southern Indian Ocean. Some 1.825 meters (71.8 inches) of rain fell over 24 hours, from January 7 to 8, 1966.

First off this is a model but fairly accurate one of late and secondly this is from the storm staying over Texas for multiple days not really moving

I will also add that no matter what this will be one of the most intense rain events in Texas history from looking at several models and remember there is no FEMA leadership currently

If you really want to go out of the way, go north to Shreveport and then head southwest to Austin or due west to DFW and down I35 to Austin. Of course you are prob going to give yourself a 12+ hour drive since that's a super inefficient route. Plus it doesn't guarantee you will miss this mess anyways.
Thanks I guess I'll just to make that call once we know more

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
First off this is a model but fairly accurate one of late and secondly this is from the storm staying over Texas for multiple days not really moving

I will also add that no matter what this will be one of the most intense rain events in Texas history from looking at several models and remember there is no FEMA leadership currently

this is what allison did. Just hovered over the area and dropped rain.

What do I do to keep my car safe from flooding? If it's anything like the flood back in, I don't know, 2003? My neighborhood got flooded bad and I think my dad's car at the time barely made it.

jmdajr

ae534489_o.png

At least almost all the Houston Creeks are at 0.00 rainfall and sorta empty. I mean I think.

The few in my area seemed pretty empty.

edit: Car in your street is bad news. Best bet is in the garage, but that's if your house has some sort of decent elevation.

Most people don't even put their cars in the garage because they are full of shit!

edit: Car in your street is bad news. Best bet is in the garage, but that's if your house has some sort of decent elevation.

Most people don't even put their cars in the garage because they are full of shit!

Nah, every time it we get flood warnings out here I make sure my car is not parked in the street.

Unfortunately we don't have a garage, never really needed one tbh, but I don't know how elevated our property is.

I swear, if this flood fucks me over I'm gonna be mad 😂

BasilZero

Just when I thought I will spend a nice relaxing weekend, I find this out.

It's gonna suck when the electricity goes out AGAIN

Houston here 😡

mid83

I wouldn't freak out over one model. Now if all the models start to trend up from the current predictions of around 10 inches (with pockets of 15+), then it's time to be more concerned.

I really do hope the predictions aren't right because if the storm lingers it could be really bad. Feel bad for the neighborhood behind my parent's. They've had flooding in 2015, 2016 and possibly again this year.

Would suck to have to remodel again for 3 straight years.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

Pwuyf37.png

That sounds alot like Allison.

Pwuyf37.png

Hopefully whataburger stays open

I wouldn't freak out over one model. Now if all the models start to trend up from the current predictions of around 10 inches (with pockets of 15+), then it's time to be more concerned.

12Z UKMET just parked the Low over the Houston area for ~3 days. Waiting on the Euro next.

My wife worked a 15 hour yesterday and ended up hitting the Kroger for waters at like 3 am. Said she got the last big bottles. Hopefully yall have picked up water and whatnot. I live in an area of Houston prone to flooding and power loss. Should be an AWESOME weekend.

cr0w

Old Member
My wife worked a 15 hour yesterday and ended up hitting the Kroger for waters at like 3 am. Said she got the last big bottles. Hopefully yall have picked up water and whatnot. I live in an area of Houston prone to flooding and power loss. Should be an AWESOME weekend.

Kemah Wal-Mart was about half out of water when I went around lunchtime. I stocked up on essentials. Business seems to be picking up.

Euro model is coming out, already predicting a much stronger storm in line with other models now. Out through 48 hours, should have the rest in 20 minutes.

I'm in Spring but northern Houston is known for getting it's fair share of storms and tornadoes after a nearby hurricane.

I'm more concerned about missing work due to flooding or storms. I know certain companies will let you skip a payment due to emergencies like a hurricane, but last time I tried that it was really difficult. (Toyota financial and Sallie Mae specifically)

Ayy from Spring! Same. Up in Dallas currently, hope the family is prepared. Hopefully it isn't much...

Latest Euro model is still rolling out but so far it starts off quite similar to the most recent GFS model posted earlier. Makes landfall in South Texas, moves inland slowly, doesn't really weaken at all, then turns back towards the coast where it first made landfall.

By Tuesday it's back over open waters in the Gulf and strengthening...

If anyone from Houston is coming through San Antonio can you grab me like 5 orders of dumplings from Lai Lai Dumpling House on Bellaire? I'll give you shelter.

Top Bottom