• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SE Texas: Hurricane/TS Harvey is here. And still here. Check local alerts & stay safe

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I'm digging it, we're already getting hit with scattered storms here at the arcade. One good lightning strike and our ac will be fried for another two months

Hell, seems it's even storming around David Mountains. That area is a straight up desert, and only has greener because of the elevation keeps it cool enough that such little annual rain goes a bit further.

This is very atypical. Seems there's a stationary front just north of TX, which is probably why the models are showing the tropical storm clinging to the coast. This could bring a lot of flooding to Houston.

mo60

Still just a tropical depression as of the 4pm update. Perhaps that dry air will play a factor in keeping this system from developing. It was supposed to be a TS by now already....

Most models predict it will strengthen signficantly closer to landfall. Also some models are showing it strengthening inland from what I recall.

mo60

thats strange. We don't have any massive lakes in Texas

Yeah some models were showing inland strengthening scenarios today. It's not physically impossible for a tropical cyclone to maintain strength or get stronger on land especially if it's moving through a moist area and the upper level enivornment is decent.

Arcia

Banned
Probably a good idea. It can't hurt

I can try and see if they have anything at Home Depot or Lowes. Though sandbags are too heavy for me to lift on my own. Might see if I can find some lighter, sandless ones? I'm worried they'll already be gone by the time I get there though...

Zeroro

I'm in Kingsville and wasn't sure how bad it may get, but I just got a notice that my University shuts down at 5:00 PM tomorrow through Friday. Not far from Corpus Christi, but hopefully it doesn't get too bad over here...?

The latest GFS model is showing a 972mb hurricane landfall just south of Corpus Christi. It may be deeper than 972mb in full resolution.

Yeah some models were showing inland strengthening scenarios today. It's not physically impossible for a tropical cyclone to maintain strength or get stronger on land especially if it's moving through a moist area and the upper level enivornment is decent.

The great galveston hurricane of 1900 strengthened back into a hurricane after it traveled over the Great Lakes lmao

at190001.gif

Meier

It fucking figures that this would happen after I've waited 10 months for the Coldplay in Houston show. Hope it doesn't cause any damage or anything and more selfishly cause the show to be postponed/canceled.

So this run seems weird on steering, it gets stuck over south Texas for over 100, maybe 120+, hours, before drifting back into the Gulf. Definitely shows the storm is going to stall somehow though which means rain, rain, and more rain. I mean this run basically says the coast of Texas will get tropical rain for over a week straight....

Interesting is that the weather system going up the east coast is getting closer and closer to the north east...

I'm in DFW so I should be fine... I think lol.

Had plans to go to Houston this weekend though but it looks like my friends down there are coming up here instead.

Also, slightly OT, but is there a storm chaser/weather-GAF? Seeing all these pictures of the computer models is making me happy haha. I spend half of the spring severe weather season looking at the HRRR, Texas Tech model and GFS lol.

Raven117

I'm in DFW so I should be fine... I think lol.

Had plans to go to Houston this weekend though but it looks like my friends down there are coming up here instead.

Also, slightly OT, but is there a storm chaser/weather-GAF? Seeing all these pictures of the computer models is making me happy haha. I spend half of the spring severe weather season looking at the HRRR, Texas Tech model and GFS lol.

Tell your buddies to be careful.

Driving in a tropical storm is really dangerous in terms of just how crazy other folks can be.,

So this GFS run has this storm hitting strongly in mid South Texas, stalls out for days, goes back into the gulf, goes up the coast through Houston heading towards LA.

This is like 10 days of straight tropical weather along Texas coast somewhere....

Out to 210 hours from now:

qpf_acc.us_sc.png

Culex

Banned
Hoping the remnants stay away from Vermont on Sep 2nd. I can totally see this happening while we are out for our anniversary!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
That building is cursed, I'm convinced. That one and what used to be Bailey's or something are never going to succeed.

There's a cursed spot like that in my town and it's also been a hookah lounge before.
It was a Round Table pizza for a couple decades and in the 20+ years since it closed every business has failed in a few months to a year.

mo60

The great galveston hurricane of 1900 strengthened back into a hurricane after it traveled over the Great Lakes lmao

at190001.gif

I highly doubt that tropical cyclone was even tropical when it restrengthen into a hurricane force storm.

Edit: The wiki article on the storm confirms what I just said.

Vyer

Stuck waiting on school districts and weather reports, not sure what our plan is yet.

We lost power for a week during Ike. No desire to deal with crazy flooding and no power in August

From the first aircraft data, it hasn't strengthened. The center seems to have reformed farther to the east, and the surface circulation isn't entirely attached. Basically, the center can't decide where to form up for good and is still a mess, which is holding it back. Unfortunately, it's only never more than an hour or two away from becoming a tropical storm if it feels like it.

Tell your buddies to be careful.

Driving in a tropical storm is really dangerous in terms of just how crazy other folks can be.,

I'd like to think they'll be fine as one of them escaped NOLA during Katrina but yeah, I've already told them.

They're planning to leave ASAP on Friday, probably around 5PM when they leave work, that's if they can't get out early.

10pm update just came out. Still a depression. Dry air continues to keep it from strengthening. Weathermen thought for sure it would be a TS today, but that didn't happen. Maybe tomorrow

Pagusas

Elden Member
Yeah I know. As a Texan in the middle of the state, my first thought after hearing the initial panic from locala was 'Intensify forward firepower!'. Turns out the weather threat is more like Austin Power's steamroller.

Are you saying you are the stupid guard who won't move out of the way?

Agentnibs

My parents and everyone I know is in corpus, and I'm in San Antonio. Not sure if they should stay there or come here. It looks like we're both screwed!

A massive blast of convection appeared on the opposite side of the aircraft just before the last advisory, and now that it's there it's found winds well into TS force. Probably will be upgraded at the 1am intermediate. This is enough of a jump where they might do a full extra. The core of the storm is still fairly disorganized and keeps jumping around.

Edit: Aaaaaaaaand, literally as I was writing that they gave an update statement, but to just 40mph. Until there's some steady motion it's still hard to know how far south is might turn (or not).

Top Bottom