• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SE Texas: Hurricane/TS Harvey is here. And still here. Check local alerts & stay safe

When the entire city is flooding and a state emergency is happening due to a hurricane stalling out over the area for three days, as well as all flights canceling, I think they'll understand.

Yeah my company takes pride in putting employee safety first so time to our it to practice.

Dont cancel, try to work on rescheduling for a different date, but I think everyone's going to understand you're not going to be able to fly into this thing.

Well they plan the training out like college courses, meaning I can't just go whenever. You have to RSVP months in advance and all that. But who cares, if I don't get into Houston until like Thursday the course is already 90% done lol. Not worth it. I can put the flight cost towards my next Houston course in October anyways.

Seriously I don't know why if you aren't a houston local you aren't getting the fuck out or telling companies to cancel trips. It's downright stupid for anybody to have to come here. Anything major will get cancelled. If it doesn't get cancelled, it's not worth the risk.

I've lived in katy and we've had to escape a hurricane (that ended up not hitting us at the last second) and stayed through a tropical storm that left my block without electricity for like week and a half or 2 weeks.

Praying for the best for everyone in the area.

Kthulhu

Seriously I don't know why if you aren't a houston local you aren't getting the fuck out or telling companies to cancel trips. It's downright stupid for anybody to have to come here. Anything major will get cancelled. If it doesn't get cancelled, it's not worth the risk.

I've lived in katy and we've had to escape a hurricane (that ended up not hitting us at the last second) and stayed through a tropical storm that left my block without electricity for like week and a half or 2 weeks.

Praying for the best for everyone in the area.

I live with family in Spring and they don't seem to care. RIP me I guess.

I'd like my Switch and NES classic to be cremated with me so no one else can have them.

Harvey now has an eyewall. Hurricane status is probable at 11 am update.

DH_wHalWAAE-B_a.jpg

jmdajr

I'd like my Switch and NES classic to be cremated with me so no one else can have them.
Yeah we shall live. But it's gonna be a shit week and lots of homes will be fucked.

cr0w

Old Member
35 sandbags filled and put out to line the building last night. Got my water and food. Now to play the waiting game.

Gonna be a shitload of rain, but I keep feeling like this is going to end up taking a more westerly path than we're expecting. Either way, the Texas coast is in a wee bit of trouble.

35 sandbags filled and put out to line the building last night. Got my water and food. Now to play the waiting game.

Gonna be a shitload of rain, but I keep feeling like this is going to end up taking a more westerly path than we're expecting. Either way, the Texas coast is in a wee bit of trouble.

Question about sandbags. Do you put a large tarp around the bags to make a more watertight barrier? Or is that kinda pointless?

cr0w

Old Member
Question about sandbags. Do you put a large tarp around the bags to make a more watertight barrier? Or is that kinda pointless?

Well, I live in the corner of an apartment building so I kind of have to pick and choose where I place them, so I don't use tarps. If you had a more uniform barrier, a tarp might be a really good idea.

Leunam

Guess I'm going to have to buy extra supplies at lunchtime. Not worried about my apartment since it's on a third floor but my car flooded a little bit during the tax day floods so I need a better spot to park.

This is giving me eery flashbacks with how fast this is happening

People on the coast should really be careful. I wish my institution would announce its plans.

BasilZero

Company put out a message for the hurricane warning.

Gonna be bad when the electricity goes out...but will be worse if the storms effect occurs in the afternoon halfway through work...leaving work early may be a possibility but the roads are gonna be crowded tomorrow 😟

I want to move out of my current house but I can't buy a new house (can't get loan cause of some stupid Texas law saying my wife needs to be here in the US) so I am stuck living in a house that has a bayou right behind it. Gonna be fun looking for turtles and snakes in my backyard like when hurricane Ike hit 👹

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Tales From My Ass and all that but I'm beginning to think this may be something of a false alarm for the Houston/Harris County area.

I'm sure we'll see some rain over the next five days but unless it jogs east like they posit then we'll just be getting clipped by it.

jmdajr

Tales From My Ass and all that but I'm beginning to think this may be something of a false alarm for the Houston/Harris County area.

I'm sure we'll see some rain over the next five days but unless it jogs east like they posit then we'll just be getting clipped by it.

Let's hope. I don't want any of this bullshit.

If the power is out during GOT I'll be pissed! (joke)

If this storm stalls like the models have predicted, you will be getting tropical rains for nearly a week straight. That is the concern for Houston.

There is also a remote chance, being it is farther out for accuracy purposes, of this thing stallilng, re-entering the GOM next week, and then heading up the coast towards LA.

This is going to be a 4-7 day event for the entire TX coast based off all the models so far.

Hey a fellow Spring gaffer!

I just moved here in November so I don't know how bad we get it up here, but I hope it's not prone to flooding.

Media

I have tons of family in the Austin/San Antonio, Abiliene, and Amarillo areas. My MIL lives in a camper trailer between San Antonio and Austin. I don't know if they are going to evacuate or not :/

I'm moving to Austin next month lol

Pastry

Banned
I have tons of family in the Austin/San Antonio, Abiliene, and Amarillo areas. My MIL lives in a camper trailer between San Antonio and Austin. I don't know if they are going to evacuate or not :/

San Antonio/Austin will get some flooding but as long as she is not in some sort of floodplain then she will be okay.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

I lived in Spring for 10 years. There are specific areas that flood all the time. If you aren't in those areas, you should be fine. It is mostly the older neighborhoods. Your family should know what to expect. Last year when there was flooding, my neighborhood was fine, but the one right next to it was flooded. But they expect it every time there is a rough rain.

Here is footage I found on YouTube of that flood - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EbEief2Sp8

Keep in mind newer neighborhoods in the area didn't have issues at all. Not saying to be safe, but maybe your family knows the history of your hood.

I lived in Spring for 10 years. There are specific areas that flood all the time. If you aren't in those areas, you should be fine. It is mostly the older neighborhoods. Your family should know what to expect. Last year when there was flooding, my neighborhood was fine, but the one right next to it was flooded. But they expect it every time there is a rough rain.

Here is footage I found on YouTube of that flood - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EbEief2Sp8

Keep in mind newer neighborhoods in the area didn't have issues at all. Not saying to be safe, but maybe your family knows the history of your hood.
My area doesnt flood either and we still got a foot of water.

As an FYI, the storm has intensified considerably quicker then the GFS model predicted. It hasn't moved much to verify tracking yet.

Laieon

What part of Katy? I'm assuming you're talking about Rita (especially because of the "not hitting us at the last second" part) and Ike. I grew up close to Fry and Keith Harrow, we only lost power for about a day during Ike. Water always comes eerily close to the house though, those drainage ditches just can't handle the amount of rain the area gets. Neighborhood's streets flooding for an hour anytime we got major rain was pretty common.

Completely agree with everyone who said if you're not living in the area you have no reason to be here there this weekend though.

I've been living in Korea for the past few years, family still lives in Katy though. Stay safe y'all.

I would prepare for 15-25 inches of rain for Houston by this time next week. Not sure what that translates to for your location, but that is a reasonable amount to expect looking at current models. It could end up being less than that or more than that.

Media

San Antonio/Austin will get some flooding but as long as she is not in some sort of floodplain then she will be okay.

Makes me feel a bit better.

Next question: My mom is flying out of ABQ to Chicago on the 2nd, her flight shouldn't be effected right? That track I think is too far north and it's nonstop so it won't land in Lubbock or anything

dskillzhtown

Let's hope. I don't want any of this bullshit.

If the power is out during GOT I'll be pissed!

You tend to forget about things like GOT when there is a storm/hurricane going on and you are hoping no trees fall on your house or your car. Or hoping that a stray tornado doesn't hit your house. During Ike and it's aftermath I was concerned with making sure everyone was safe and the house wasn't damaged. With no power, battery operated radios were essential.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Balls I have a bachelor party in Austin Friday to Monday. Guess we'll just be huddled indoors..

Just avoid side roads and bodies of water. Generally North and east are safe. It's just like ice and people don't take this precaution and things become fatal instantly.

jmdajr

You tend to forget about things like GOT when there is a storm/hurricane going on and you are hoping no trees fall on your house or your car. Or hoping that a stray tornado doesn't hit your house. During Ike and it's aftermath I was concerned with making sure everyone was safe and the house wasn't damaged. With no power, battery operated radios were essential.

It's a joke!

IKE sucked. Lived through it. It was horrible.

cr0w

Old Member
I'm in the freakin coast and my boss/father doesn't seem to be respecting the storm.

Here on the coast it's more about the surge than anything, drainage usually isn't an issue unless we get like 9+ inches in an hour.

HOWEVER, due to the rapid strengthening overnight, it's looking like the surge may be higher than anticipated but Galveston would take the brunt of it. Either way, it's best to prepare to spend a few days at home rather than take any sort of evacuation measures.

I'd be far, far more worried if I were north or west of here.

dskillzhtown

It's a joke!

IKE sucked. Lived through it. It was horrible.

Oh, okay. Hard to detect jokes, lol! I have seen some people on social media new to the area more upset about not being able to go to the park than worrying about power being out. My power was out for 28 days after Ike.

Blue skies near Humble. The storm is fake news!

I'm going to have to actually take my car to work tomorrow instead of my motorcycle. Nooooooooo

jmdajr

This map is not working for me. You got another picture or model?

I'm in Sugar Land and I already refilled my car. Just have to get some more water and groceries, I guess.

It's not the best tool. But it was working on Firefox.

not sure this helps.

NewFEMA_real.jpg

sugar-land-flood-map01.jpg

Top Bottom