• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SFV - Abigail Reveal Trailer

Plot twist: Abigail hates King Diamond, and is on a mission to destroy every Abigail album in existence.

The car company is only a front for him to accumulate enough funds to get started.

Ryce

rnei5Ea.png

Abigail’s tire-armed future was right under our noses this entire time. Wake up, sheeple!

MrCarter

My problem with the games style are mostly contained to the stages.

Compared to SFIVs ones they really look bland and boring, with a few exceptions.

Nah I think SFV has better stages, they just aren't cluttered and messy like most of the SFIV's stages. Sometimes simplicity with great detail goes a long way.

stage_estate_at_noon.jpg

stage_mysterious_cove.jpg

sfv-beach-stage-june2016-4.jpg

pic1.jpg

topic-05083-4.jpg

sfv_akuma_teaser_ruined_temple_stage.jpg

449030-14_abigailstage01.jpg

5Y4nO8U.jpg

Ring-Of-Pride-CPT-Stage.jpg

I understand people preferring SFIV for a lot of things but stages? No way

SFV is by no means top tier stage design but it's got some really nice stuff.

I like the drive-in stage in IV but that's about it

AlexIIDX

You know Abigail is gonna be one of those characters that gets crowds chanting with each hit. He's gonna bring hype for sure. Can't wait to see him in tournament.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Since they like to revive Street Fighter 2 stages so they should do same thing for Alpha, 3 and 4.

They really need to bring this stage back.

ntY6tuB.jpg

vg260

The safari and construction stages are as good as or better than most SFV stages. There are several other nice ones too.

Ryce

IV had a few gems like the African savannah, but most of the stages bored me to tears.

4TMxnQd.jpg

PQ8oS2E.jpg

So... bland...

And don't forget about the tacky SFxTK stages that should have never been ported over.

Scotia

Banned
There's like two stages in SF4 that I liked. The rest were either terrible or boring. I don't think there's a stage in SFV I actively dislike tbh

yurinka

Well, in the gameplay video at least he appears with his original colors and still looks ugly but not that horrible. Awful character design, the worst one since Fang and Rufus.

His theme doesn't fit with Street Fighter. I think they must stop adding vocals to gameplay themes, they ruin the experience. And in this case, the vocals and crazy drums solo doesn't fit with the style of the game, feels like a random them totally unrelated to Street Fighter.

There's like two stages in SF4 that I liked. The rest were either terrible or boring. I don't think there's a stage in SFV I actively dislike tbh
Same here. Well, I liked maybe 3 pr 4.

jett

D-Member
It not only looks bland and boring but the assets are of very low quality as well. The textures on that bench...can you actually call that a texture?

I don't think the bench texture fully loaded in that shot. It looks much more detailed here at six seconds in.

It's one of my favorite stages. The sunrise is a nice touch.

Yeah SFV has been buggy about loading high quality texture assets in the scenery since launch, not sure what's the reason for it or why hasn't it been fixed. Happens on PC too. I think it's most obvious in the China stage's signs. Seems random.

rnei5Ea.png

Abigail's tire-armed future was right under our noses this entire time. Wake up, sheeple!

Omoshiroi...

You know Abigail is gonna be one of those characters that gets crowds chanting with each hit. He's gonna bring hype for sure. Can't wait to see him in tournament.

Plus he's so (intentionally) ugly and weird, that barely anyone will use him.

He'll be so rare that he'll never get old, like Hugo and Hakan.

Yo the drive-in stage gets cooler to me every time I see it. I love the whole "neon lights against a nighttime sky" aesthetic. One of the reasons I can't wait for Cyberpunk 2077.

I was gonna say I like Crumbling Lab, but that's only because of the sick ass Round 2 theme Seth has. Outside of SFIII and SF1, this series has really solid final boss themes.

sephi22

Character introduction with combos and gameplay breakdown:
EDIT: I missed it on the page above LUL
This character is pretty legit. Legit ugly and badly designed, but legit nonetheless.
Gonna have so much fun trolling with him. The double EX combo damage and stun is insane

So... bland...

And don't forget about the tacky SFxTK stages that should have never been ported over.

It cheapened SFIV. That's just not a respectful way to treat your game, it spoke volumes about Capcom and where they were at and what they were capable of going forward. I'm surprised SFV turned out as well as it did.

Village

It cheapened SFIV. That's just not a respectful way to treat your game, it spoke volumes about Capcom and where they were at and what they were capable of going forward. I'm surprised SFV turned out as well as it did.

What does that mean? What are you even saying, companies re use assets all the time, capcom is the king of it. One of their most famous fighting games, Marvel vs capcom 2 is a basically mugen. Asset reuse saves money and provides extra content, how is that " not a respectful way"... like what?

What in the world are you even talking about?

Blackage

I liked the Diner, Africa, Volcano and Crumbling Lab version 2, that music omg, oh also that Cruise ship in SFIV. I liked the mad gear stage in sf x T but they changed the music when they put it in IV!

I like the vast majority of SFV's stages.

robot

My only real complaint with SFV stages are the background characters. A lot of goofy animations and at half the frame rate makes them look even worse. Wish there was a way to disable them. Otherwise I agree, some gorgeous locations - the night and day stuff is great too.

IV had a few gems like the African savannah, but most of the stages bored me to tears.

4TMxnQd.jpg
It's funny, because I love the idea of this stage. It's a quiet, isolated place with the kids/family/whatever cheering on from the background. Would probably look better as classic sprite art

But as it stands it's the worst in the game and what I think of when I say IV had bad stages. It's just ugly and boring

Good call on construction stage, I liked that one too

What does that mean? What are you even saying, companies re use assets all the time, capcom is the king of it. One of their most famous fighting games, Marvel vs capcom 2 is a basically mugen.

What in the world are you even talking about?

Versus games were not basically mugen, and I don't see what was confusing about my post. Sorry.

Lulubop

My only real complaint with SFV stages are the background characters. A lot of goofy animations and at half the frame rate makes them look even worse. Wish there was a way to disable them. Otherwise I agree, some gorgeous locations - the night and day stuff is great too.

Yea and some stages they have that 30 fps movement going on, it's jarring. With the dlc stages it seems they're trying to minimize the background characters which is great.

Ryce

Reusing assets with good direction is fine, like bringing Elena, Rolento, Hugo, and Poison over from SFxTK. Porting the gaudy stages over was completely unnecessary. It randomly introduced dinosaurs into Street Fighter canon without explanation, and it turned the Mad Gear Gang into slapstick. Seeing crime lord Belger beat on drums in a mainline Street Fighter game hurts my soul.

Lulubop

Reusing assets with good direction is fine, like bringing Elena, Rolento, Hugo, and Poison over from SFxTK. Porting the gaudy stages over was completely unnecessary. It randomly introduced dinosaurs into Street Fighter canon without explanation, and it turned the Mad Gear Gang into slapstick. Seeing crime lord Belger beat on drums in a mainline Street Fighter game hurts my soul.

The stage with the Neon RVs might be the worst stage in history

SFV stages are miles ahead of IV, I actually feel this is borderline un-debatable alongside comparing the soundtracks.

I'll always have a chuckle at the so called exciting street scene being rather unexciting at least.

My biggest one as well. Also the goofy background characters look out of place in certain stages like the 4 kings stage, I mean you have what is essentially the boss stage and you have dudes having lightsaber battles in the background.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Why can't they do these for reveals in MVCI? It was a good overview, and did a ncie job of stealth addressing some of our obvious burning questions (Like how he compares in size to 'gief, where the fun is in his gameplay design, and how he's suppose to function in general.)

Since they like to revive Street Fighter 2 stages so they should do same thing for Alpha, 3 and 4.

They really need to bring this stage back.

ntY6tuB.jpg

They should do this once they have characters it makes sense with. This stage become THE place I went once it was introduced, so I'd love to see it again. But I'd also love to see Elena (or a new character, even) to go along with it. I can appreciate that she got double duty in SFxT and SFIV, though, and that people grew to hate her healing stuff (not exactly her fault!), so I can see why she'd be taking a break...

Menat better have an awesome stage...

Well, in the gameplay video at least he appears with his original colors and still looks ugly but not that horrible. Awful character design, the worst one since Fang and Rufus.

His theme doesn't fit with Street Fighter. I think they must stop adding vocals to gameplay themes, they ruin the experience. And in this case, the vocals and crazy drums solo doesn't fit with the style of the game, feels like a random them totally unrelated to Street Fighter.

Same here. Well, I liked maybe 3 pr 4.
This shoulda been his theme (just switch a screeching tire for the intro).]
Tossing Gief like that, yo damn
As a Gief player this matchup legitimately scares me.

::edit::
SFV stages are miles ahead of IV, I actually feel this is borderline un-debatable alongside comparing the soundtracks.

I'll always have a chuckle at the so called exciting street scene being rather unexciting at least.
Preach on brotha

vg260

With so many DLC stages, it skews the comparison now. However, if you're just talking about the default stages, I'd take SFIV's default stages over V's just because they don't have the ugly filter and 30 fps characters all over them.

meerak

Have we seen what a grab on Abigail looks like? I can only imagine how bad the clipping will be.

Not yet.

Yeah, mega curious to see how they look.

Vega's backthrow is him jumping on top of you, grabbing your head with his legs, and throwing you over. CAN'T WAIT to see what that is like. Vega's head will be off the top of the screen...

meerak

With so many DLC stages, it skews the comparison now. However, if you're just talking about the default stages, I'd take SFIV's default stages over V's just because they don't have the ugly filter and 30 fps characters all over them.

What a bizarre... pointless idea...

Both SFIV and SFV have DLC stages. There's no use in pretending that only the original releases existed and that's what you should compare. This is what we call "grasping at straws" and you must be reaaaaaaaallllly thirsty.

oh cool I didn't see that. That's a pretty safe example of a throw though. What will the SPD look like? :D

Top Bottom