• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silicon Valley - Season 2 of the hilarious Mike Judge comedy series - HBO Sundays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
expected to hate it, was surprised at the actually good amount of very funny scenes. Now I cant wait for S2, S1 has such a great finale

Show has great potential. First season was good but didn't reach the realm of greatness I was hoping for. Crossing my fingers that the plot and characters fall into their own a little more this time around.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I don't doubt it - the show rocketed up in quality toward the end of the first season. I can't wait for Sunday.

Yeah it definitely had an identity crisis early on and then came into its own by the end of the series.

- Warming Glow: An Oral History Of That Ultra-Sophisticated ‘Silicon Valley’ Dick Joke
KUMAIL NANJIANI (Dinesh): When I first read that joke — we did a table read for it — and right there, it was awesome. It did really well at the table read. The HBO execs were there, and it just felt like something pretty special and something I hadn’t seen before.

MIKE JUDGE (Creator/Executive Producer): We wanted to have a moment like in A Beautiful Mind, where there’s this epiphany based on a real life thing, which is something that’s more silly, and it wound up being a dick joke.

ZACH WOODS (Jared Dunn): I immediately wrote a letter to HBO because my feeling is that there are things to be joked about and things not to be joked about. And I think sex — and dicks in particular — are not a joking matter. So, I protested pretty aggressively. But they insisted that I participated […] No, that’s not true! That’s not true! I’d be the biggest asshole. I loved it.

JUDGE: HBO was really happy. It’s almost the opposite of a regular network. Here, we don’t have any nudity, any love scenes. Finally, at least, there’s a long dick joke. It was almost this concern that we’re not nasty enough in the show to make it an edgy pay cable show.
Much, much more via the link.

Also, note that Twitch is going to stream the premiere early on Wednesday, April 8th if you’d like to watch it then. Please be sure to spoiler tag discussion if you do before the episode airs on HBO Sunday night. Thanks and enjoy!
Just a reminder that this is today.
You can catch the ‘Silicon Valley’ cast at Twitch on April 8 at 12 p.m. PT at twitch.tv/twitch, followed by a free episode from season one.
During the event, “Silicon Valley” cast will engage in game playing with host Jon Carnage, Twitch’s live programming director, and answer questions live from Twitch viewers. In addition, HBO will share an exclusive clip from the upcoming season, which premieres April 12 (following the “Game of Thrones” season-five debut). After the Q&A, there will be a live stream of the show’s pilot episode from season one.

When I popped in shortly this afternoon, they were playing S1E1. Though I was about 25 minutes late so I can't say for certain that they never played the actual premiere.

- Variety review
“Silicon Valley,” meanwhile, has impressively built into its storyline a real-life development that struck the show, and come away not only unbowed but with perhaps a renewed sense of vigor.
The 'real-life development' is the untimely death of Christopher Evan Welch. Some spoilers about how they handle it via the link.

Wow. Just wow.

Im dying. still cracks me the fuck up to this day.

More highlights:

T.J. MILLER (Erlich Bachmann): I thought it was likely going to be the greatest joke in the history of American comedy. That was ambitious, but eventually, we came to find out that it was the greatest dick joke in the history of American, French, British and Sri Lankan comedy.

WOODS: I thought it was brilliant and encapsulated so much of what I liked about the writing up until that point in the season, which is that it was the smartest dumb thing and the dumbest smart thing. And also it was emotionally realistic in a way.

MILLER: [At the table read] there was a lot of pausing and laughing and mutterings of “holy shit” and “that’s so funny” and “did anyone eat the rice pilaf? It’s in-fucking-credible.” We were so excited and the food was delicious.

WOODS: It’s really more of a logic joke then a dick joke. It’s like a logic joke with dick specifics. You’re just trying to solve a problem and it just happens to be about how fast you can make two guys cum or four guys, depending on whether or not you’re using both hands.

WOODS: The other day, I was leaving The Container Store, where I was buying some hangers and the guy in the parking lot was like, “Hey, man. What’s your D to F?” Which is dick to floor. Then he’s like, “What do you think the mean jerk time is in this area?” He didn’t say hi or anything.

MILLER: I get a lot of people after stand-up shows or in airports conspiratorially asking me, “Pssst. How long do you think it would take you to jerk off everyone in this room?! LOL,” or “Hey, what’s your D2F?! LOL HAR HAR! Seriously how far away from the floor is your dick?”

WOODS: I just thought it was hilarious that they got real engineers and mathematicians to think about it. So many times, you’ll see a dick joke on TV, and you’ll think, “That’s a good joke, but I don’t buy the math of it.” In this case, just having that bullet proof scientific defense, it really gave us all the confidence we needed to go forth.

JUDGE: There’s a thing on the white board, this metric for stamina, that Kumail was asking me, “Hey, what is this I’m pointing to?” And then I start looking at it and figuring it out and then I was like, “Whoa, this actually makes sense and is actually interesting.” That the graph starts at infinity because when you’re a baby you can’t ejaculate. And it dips down and gets higher around your 30s, then goes back to infinity. It all made complete sense. I suppose a little of my math background helped just so I could figure that out and explain it to Kumail. He actually has a computer science background too.

Just finished the article and now I feel weird. I think I just spent 30 minutes reading and highlighting how a long dick joke was expertly erected.

My favourite show from last year by a mile (still can't believe how amazingly epic that finale was) so I'm beyond excited for Sunday. It's just genuinely laugh out loud hilarious and it's held together by a super interesting plot and subject matter. Hope this show has loads of future seasons because I loved every second of season one.

Bring on Sunday. Looking forward to reading the GAF reactions here too.

zychi

Banned
so did they show season 2 episode 1 on twitch? or was it just an old episode? is there a vod of the actual event?

so did they show season 2 episode 1 on twitch? or was it just an old episode? is there a vod of the actual event?

Changed their minds at the last minute dude. They showed a preview clip and did some commentary but the actual episode didn't air so it's still not available yet. Until Sunday that is.

big ander

Flew through season 1 a couple weeks ago, show is hysterical. Can't wait to follow along.

Here is a review from slate, the site famous for being ultra sensitive about race and gender and sexuality on the web and in media, that mistakes Kumail Nanjiani for Kunal Nayyar of the BIG Bang Theory. Maybe the most incredible thing to happen on the internet ever.
The startup team lives together in their incubator—better known as Erlich’s house—and are tangled into each other’s lives in a faux-bromantic way that recalls “The Big Bang Theory” more than Judge’s previous cult hit, “Office Space.” (Kumail Nanjiani, who plays Dinesh, is in fact a regular on “The Big Bang Theory,” and is playing a rather similar role in “Silicon Valley.” More vulgarity and more speaking to women, but the same intense intimacy with another male character—Martin Starr’s Gilfoyle, in this case.)

Flew through season 1 a couple weeks ago, show is hysterical. Can't wait to follow along.

Here is a review from slate, the site famous for being ultra sensitive about race and gender and sexuality on the web and in media, that mistakes Kumail Nanjiani for Kunal Nayyar of the BIG Bang Theory. Maybe the most incredible thing to happen on the internet ever.
hahahaha

Mindwipe

Holy shit. That's... bad.

Have Sky Atlantic announced the UK airdate for this yet? They took way too fucking long last time.

Just caught up on s1. This show is so fun to watch. It's great understanding all of the references they make. I'm especially excited to watch it paired with Veep on Sundays. Gonna be crazy having Mad Men/GoT/The Good Wife/Silicon Valley/Veep all in one night.

I honestly don't even know what to or what not to watch live.

New episode tonight:
Sand Hill Shuffle

Following their success at TechCrunch Disrupt, the guys of Pied Piper find themselves aggressively courted; Monica deals with her new boss; Richard makes a decision about the company's future.

RangersFan

This show really grew on me towards the end of season 1. Then after a rewatch of the entire season I really did end up loving it. Can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom