• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So let's make a NeoGAF national television ad and put it on Fox News

Status
Not open for further replies.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
TheEastonator said:
Please, please let's not use memes. I cringe whenever I hear people try to use internet memes in real life. I cast a vote for the explosions/dragons/general-badassery direction for the commercial. If somebody watching has never heard of neogaf, they'll think it's a club of total badassitude.

You can use a memes as a basis, if only they are used as something both sides understand. E.g.

Guy typing on the computer slowly mumbling:
"I don't.. know about you... but I'm an expert..."
Cue Mon Tage of random good stuff/spoken "truth quotes"
"Find people who also believe they know everything. NeoGAF."

dofry said:
You can use a memes as a basis, if only they are used as something both sides understand. E.g.

Guy typing on the computer slowly mumbling:
"I don't.. know about you... but I'm an expert..."
Cue Mon Tage of random good stuff/spoken "truth quotes"
"Find people who also believe they know everything. NeoGAF."
That makes it sound like a dating site.

mcrae said:
1. if evilore is voicing it, it doesnt make sense for him to voice different characters. and genders. lol.
2. memes are a dumb draw, if the point of the commercial is to actually gain new members. including and putting emphasis on MEGATON in a way that only a gaffer would understand is a bad idea, cause it would seem weird otherwise.
3. 'otherwise we would have never met, and that is why we are thankful' is far far too mushy-gushy, and people will immediately think its a dating site regardless of the rest of the ad.
4. 'gateway to a better life' as a phrase only works if it is voiced gaudily, outlandishly, with a lot of ridiculous emphasis to stop it from being a again too mushy.
5. "It makes life worth living and it wouldn't be the same without it" is awkward phrasing, but could work.

i like sliced bread, man on street, some type of student (lawyer too professional a position perhaps?) the obama speech by pope ideas though.

1. I figured Evilore would only be voicing the words coming at the screen, not the live acting parts.
2. I agree about Megaton bomb even though I was using it to sound like an Atomic bomb. but it doesn't really fit with what went after it anyway.
3. It's meant to appeal to appeal to the female audience while throwing off the viewer as to what the commercial is even about.
4. ...I guess I was going for a little bit of the pharmaceutical "life improving" treatment center recruit vibe
5. I really wasn't sure how to word it, but you can see what I was going for.

I was trying to incorporate as much as possible without revealing what GAF actually was and show how many different types of people may be using it (whatever it is). Trying to leave a shroud of mystery over what it could be and use that to make you go look it up.

DumbNameD

Eh, general idea. Plays off of 'believe':

Sometimes there are no curveballs in life.
You kick the winning field goal with the wind at your back and ten yards to spare.
You have the wit of William Shakespeare and the tongue of Oscar Wilde.
You share your heart, and nobody laughs.

Sometimes the drive-thru burger tastes every bit as good as the ads make you think they do.
And the movie with the giant robots and the exploding cars is worth every dollar you paid.
And the person who outbids you on a complete Dreamcast video game collection shares your bed.
And all your ideas flit amongst the charged auroras in the sky like an atom bomb ready to burst in a megaton explosion.

And sometimes you get cats.

BELIEVE.
NEOGAF.

(Not really cats. Just sometimes.)

---or---

ALIENS.

BELIEVE.

NEOGAF.

"just read both facebook status and talks. :(

I've been following her for the last four years, and now I've lost my chance. My life is over. I'll just die alone, miserable and bitter. That is what I get for talking to people and getting attached."

Evilore: "Girl-age? we can help. NeoGAF. Believe."

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Just have a couple of guys, controllers in hand, shouting random, unintelligible nonsense at each other for 10 seconds then a voice over saying "NeoGAF.com - Where gamers go for reasoned debate".

Then maybe cut to them hugging and crying or holding hands at the end.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Dearie me. Go to bed for a few hours and thread fills up with project managers telling us what to do. (sigh).

Here’s a ‘fake ads’ one:

[Opening of the Sony PS3 ad]

[text] It only does …

[click click click, words scroll fast around the screen, settling on ….]

[text] ONE THING

[screen flickers, sound of scratching record, and CUT TO …]

[The Nintendo sound, over a plain white room, white sofa, two guys sitting on the sofa looking bored and using the minutest of wrist flicks to play Wii tennis]

[man standing in room, making Minority Report style gestures – clearly attempting to control a Natal setup, we see a look of disgust on his face and CUT TO …]

[over-the-shoulder shot to the screen, which shows his big beefy avatar in a rather fetching cocktail dress]

[the end of the old SEGA ads, blue lettering …]

[text] To be this good takes

[text] ONE FAG

[v/o] Fuck it [as the letters rearrange themselves to form NEOGAF and screen morphs to the GAF logo]

[v/o and text] Believe ….. nothing

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Mik2121 said:
Anyway, yes, we need storyboards first. I guess we will go with 30 sec commercials or even below that, right? I'm not a big fan of having lots of memes around and all that. Ideally, commercials over the top like the ones in MGS4 would be perfect, but all of them are CG-heavy, and after seeing what's happening with Dudebro, I'm not sure we have enough CG artists or even people who will really stick to this for a long time. I'd love to be wrong, though.
Agreed, especially about storyboards.
Memes and inside jokes no one outside GAF can understand would be completely stupid: the ad wouldn't be just for us, it would be (mostly) for people who don't know about the site. So why using a joke they can't understand at all?

DrEvil said:
All I want to do is keep people's expectations in check, and everyone who says "ooh that looks great" just because it's shiny 3d, well, it throws away any real constructive criticism that m0dus or anyone could ever get.

I think certian people are being a bit too eager about things and are producing things on a whim.. it's not the 'correct' way to do things, especially if we want to do it right.
Agreed.

Ok, here is my serious one, and the one I wanted to use for my gamer only social networking site(which I never put time into).

*24 style camera with four different people playing a game*

*Focus on each person individually now to make it look like they are playing in a separate room*

*Camera swoops into each tv revealing they've been playing in the same room. We've got a PS3 hooked up, a 360, a PC and even a Wii(that even part is a joke) and they are all using a different controller on the same screen.*

Evilore's Part or someone with a softer toned voice than Evilore:

"NeoGAF: Where people the world over enjoy playing video games together. BELIEVE!"

EDIT: I think it gets the spirit of GAF down well. We all love our respective systems, but it's the games that ultimately brought us together, and it doesn't matter which system we play on, we all enjoy the games equally(more or less).

Going from separate areas to the same room also reinforces the community we've built. We have people anywhere from China to america but we all come to the same place in order to talk about our hobby.

Anyway, this is my serious take on the commercial. If you'd like any more help or think it is a worthy idea, PM me because I want to be a part of it.

Firestorm

Going from separate areas to the same room also reinforces the community we've built. We have people anywhere from China to america but we all come to the same place in order to talk about our hobby.
In the unlikely event we do something serious, this is what I'd like it to be about.

As for your ideas about "it doesn't matter what console you play on".. pft. We should have a TF2 commercial of BLU vs RED vs GRN and them blowing the shit out of each other while WHT watches from above.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I suppose we couldn't have little puppet versions of a 360, PS3, Wii, DS, and PSP brawling in some sort of arena...

Firestorm said:
In the unlikely event we do something serious, this is what I'd like it to be about.

As for your ideas about "it doesn't matter what console you play on".. pft. We should have a TF2 commercial of BLU vs RED vs GRN and them blowing the shit out of each other while WHT watches from above.

I did say it was for serial damnit. If I were making the commercial I'd just have a string of F bombs followed by piano cat with a raptor on his back shooting a gun that only shoots pedo bears at chris hansen.

But damnit, things don't ever go my way.

mcrae said:
2. memes are a dumb draw, if the point of the commercial is to actually gain new members. including and putting emphasis on MEGATON in a way that only a gaffer would understand is a bad idea, cause it would seem weird otherwise.

Is that the point, though? I thought the idea was just for the lolz.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
EviLore said:
Seriously, let's do this :D

Doesn't have to be elaborate, but let's do something satirical. And I can narrate the ad.
Use buzz words that FOX uses such as "moderate" or "liberal" in a sentence describing NeoGAF: Our site will take a conservative approach towards restraint when given a moderate amount of video game news and prop it up with a liberal amount of hyperbole for days and days.

Ok, I got it. If we are serious about Fox news being the station, I got the perfect thing.

Remember the awesome Geoff Keighley/"Expert sex woman" interview during Mass Effect's 1 release.

We play as much of that as we can with some fun editing to make her look even more retarded than she is.*I call that Daily Show edits*

EvileLore: You want the truth? NeoGAF.com...Believe!

SmokyDave

Long panning shot of me on a chaise longue wearing nothing but hot pants and a coy smile, cuts to...

NeoGAF: It's where SmokyDave goes.

You know it makes sense.

plasmasd

Lol. I had $200 in free adwords money, so I decided to put myself on Spike, Syfy, and Comedy Central this week somewhere from 12AM to 4:30AM each night. :lol

plasmasd

Just some info for anyone doing a google ad. The deliverable needs to be 480i with a DV (.9) aspect ratio. So if this is shot in 24p, you'll need to make sure the cadence is correctly rendered to 60i for the final project. Also, if delivered in widescreen, you will get a letterbox within a vertical letterbox in HD. (meaning if you make your commercial in 16:9, you need to bake in the bars in the final render depending on your editing software) There seems to be no way to upload an HD commercial.

Corum

plasmasd said:
Lol. I had $200 in free adwords money, so I decided to put myself on Spike, Syfy, and Comedy Central this week somewhere from 12AM to 4:30AM each night. :lol

Nice one, have you got a link to your advert?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Another vote for a dinosaurs/lazers/'splosions ad, I think these symbols of awesome represent GAF in the best and most accurate way. Anyone watching that feels a connection to these elements would find a home here.

Can we have the dinosaurs shooting lazers (either with guns or through their eyes) and then making things (like watermelons, cats or Christina Hendricks) explode? And they should have the Neogaf logo but as a medalion.

It should also advertise the premium Gold service so you can upgrade the servers from the fat of all the Fox News viewers. Give them Gold but let them pay for search to be fixed.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
EviLore said:

Well, it's either that or you've gotta wear an Adult sized cat-styled playsuit and do a rap in the style of Seaseme Street circa 1989 about the benefits of joining neogaf and how it can help you with things like girls, personal hygiene and the learning the number 6 (whilst wearing the aforementioned GAF logo medallion).

At the end you must do a handstand for as long as you can hold yourself up. This must all be done to the tune of a midi version of rappers delight mashed up with Hey Mickey. In the background there must be badly greenscreened Gaf logos floating about angrily and one giant one spinning in the centre. And a dinosaur. It does not even have to be a big one. Oh, and you should shoot lazers out of your eyes at least once (maybe it could make the dinosaur explode??! :O)

oh man this is too much fun

Oh oh! Here's a better idea! Everyone loves 3d now, right. Remake the above ad but using the red/blue glasses tech. Then, right at the end you can shoot lazers out at the audience!

plasmasd

BladeoftheImmortal said:
How do you get this money?

I got a Valentines Card from google with $100 and at the same time I got another $100 adwords offer via email. I've been a youtube partner for almost 2 years, so I don't know if that's the reason they sent the offers.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
wait ... when is e.lore supposed to declare what will be done?
because i think the ideas are not getting any better from now on...

Dali said:
Glenn Beck is like a nice warm apple pie compared to the rantings of some of you nut jobs.

I give it 100%!

Commercial should a blank screen with the angry crowd sound effect from South Park, then end with a flash and the neoGAF logo and site url. :X

wwm0nkey

Couldn't we just do something simple and sweet, like have the Gaf logo slowly closing while a list of names (members on the site) get sucked into it, then after it closes and shows the Gaf logo just put a easy tag line in there? Something like " A Place for Gamers" or "Believe" something a long those lines. Then for like 2 seconds have it flash "Neogaf.com". Its short and effective.

Ydahs

wwm0nkey said:
Couldn't we just do something simple and sweet, like have the Gaf logo slowly closing while a list of names (members on the site) get sucked into it, then after it closes and shows the Gaf logo just put a easy tag line in there? Something like " A Place for Gamers" or "Believe" something a long those lines. Then for like 2 seconds have it flash "Neogaf.com". Its short and effective.
I like it.

Wellscha

I say every GAFer would take a video of himself saying "Believe" and then put it together in a short clip and then NEOGAF BELEIVE.

impirius

The Take Out Bandit said:
I give it 100%!

Commercial should a blank screen with the angry crowd sound effect from South Park, then end with a flash and the neoGAF logo and site url. :X
RAAAAAAH RABBLERABBLERABBLERABBLE

Some awesome ideas so far, keep it up everyone!!

Just a reminder- we cannot infringe on any copyrights.

South Park sounds, copy written avatars, images, music, etc are a no go.

However, we can always get around this by recreating our own media for the project (or using public domain stuff) based on whatever it is we're trying to spoof.

JoeMartin

It should be the NeoGAF Online Dating Service - chat with dubiously attractive, emotionally repressed and sexually frustrated gaming nerds/losties in your area tonight.

Text "weeaboo" to 636423.

Hits guaranteed.

Az

We need an ad that will connect with people. Evilore can narrate this...

"Do you wake up in the morning? Do you think that your taste in videogames in superior to others'? Have you fantasized about talking to a girl that is dating the captain of the football team? Well join us.. because we..... BELIEVE..." *big NeoGAF logo*

wwm0nkey

Metroid Killer said:
Wow, some people just don't get it...
Or just don't read the topic
I am honestly just throwing out random ideas here. I Just like to come up with and state random ideas that I have and draw story boards of them.
(I like to draw)

Oh also for anyone that was interested in my idea I finished my 3 page story board if anyone wants to see it.

kagete

Howabout an ad just like the Videogame Design colleges with the two wankers testing their "new level" but with Evilore doing the voiceover for the pitch? Maybe make it seem like GAF is some sort of online university with regular, GOLD, and PLATINUM degree programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom