• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian General Election (OT) - #elxn42: October 19, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocky85

Banned
24 Sussex Drive should be torn down, says Maureen McTeer
"'An old, crumbling building with asbestos' does not reflect who we are as Canadians, ex PM's wife says"

The whole article is very interesting and I definitely recommend anyone in this thread that argued about 24 Sussex in the last week to read it.
Shes crazy. That 1880s interior is full of historical value.
W45E6s0.jpg

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
They should get the Property Brothers to do it. They are the most popular home Reno guys on TV, they could make it a 6 part special, and get TLC to pay for the whole renovation.

Unfortunately this is the government we are talking about, they'd probably not want to do this for fear of endorsing one business over another. I guess they could create a bidding process for which tv staton will pay for the renovations in exchange for a tv special.

Property Brothers would be amazing and I would watch the shit out of that, although I think the optics on that wouldn't be great. "Watch the PM as he spends millions of tax dollars on his house"

maharg

idspispopd
Canada Post is profitable even with home delivery. They were profitable this year. Every year that letter mail delivered goes down, parcels delivered go up to make up for it.

This is an oversimplification. They've been rolling out community mailboxes for like 20 years and it almost certainly has had an impact on their bottom line. Even with package delivery I doubt they'd be profitable now doing home delivery to all the new suburbs that have been built in that time.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Your argument is just as asinine as his is. It reads like you're simply jealous you don't have door-to-door delivery so now that means others can't either.

I actually have door to door delivery and I hate it. I *gasp* live in the city, and don't like my shit being left out where anyone can snatch it. I get all my important mail and packages mailed to my parent's community box.

it's a house that hasn't been maintained.

They should just buy a different house that is up to spec.

It has only been officially the PM's house since the 1940s, so prior to that it wasn't the official residence

Entropia

No One Remembers
"'An old, crumbling building with asbestos' does not reflect who we are as Canadians, ex PM's wife says"

The whole article is very interesting and I definitely recommend anyone in this thread that argued about 24 Sussex in the last week to read it.

A friend on facebook posted a link to some 'news' article (rebel media?) about the renovation of 24 Sussex. I'll paraphrase "The first thing he wants to do is spend $10 million of tax payer money to renovate the Prime Minister's house? It's not modern? Of course not! It's an old, heritage building".

Didn't even mention the Asbestos stuff.

Azih

Canada Post is profitable even with home delivery. They were profitable this year. Every year that letter mail delivered goes down, parcels delivered go up to make up for it.

A globeandmail article posted here says Canada Post is in loss this year and nicrease in parcel delivery does not make up for decline in letters.

jstripes

Banned

Honestly, it'll cost less to build a new, modern, efficient house than to renovate that one.

Generally I'm against tearing down historic structures, but this one, from all I've heard lately, seems to be a lost cause.

Stet

Banned
They should get the Property Brothers to do it. They are the most popular home Reno guys on TV, they could make it a 6 part special, and get TLC to pay for the whole renovation.

Unfortunately this is the government we are talking about, they'd probably not want to do this for fear of endorsing one business over another. I guess they could create a bidding process for which tv staton will pay for the renovations in exchange for a tv special.

Andrew Younghusband and the crew from Canada's Worst Handyman would be amazing.

Stet

Banned
Imagine Trudeau finally getting all fed up and yelling at everybody.

AW HELL DIDDILY DING DONG CRAP
CAN'T YOU MORONS DO ANYTHING RIGHT

Calm down, Justiniddilydiddily...they did their best shodillydiddily iddily iddily...at least the asbestos is riddilydiddilydiddily...

For anyone disappointed with the Sun's election day cover...

getimage.aspx

I just needed to see the word 'hell'.

Needs more flames or devil horns or something. It's still not terrifying enough!

So guys, is someone making the new Canada PoliGAF thread soon? Or are we waiting for Trudeau to be sworn in?

I have it mostly done, but I figured it shouldn't go up until Trudeau official gets sworn in.

Popstar

There were enough reports of irregularities that the recount didn't seem unjustified.

(also it was from 79 to 92 votes, and automatic recounts kick in at 0.1% not 0.15%)

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I appreciate the fact that our most pressing matter in politics now is what to do with 24 Sussex :) Canada you make me happy~

Walpurgis

Banned
Breaking news: Sohi confirmed to be the winner of Edmonton-Millwoods. Margin changed from 80 votes... to 79 votes.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/pol...-winner-following-edmonton-mill-woods-recount

So shame on Uppal's team for calling a recount despite the margin being over the 0.15% as per Elections Canada guidelines.
Hahaha! What a loser. Even Toet (CPC) in Elmwood-Transcona didn't call for a recount and he lost by 51 votes (like 10-12 votes away from an automatic recount).

Tabris

I'm a little surprised you're not advocating they put all MPs up in a single condo building with their out of town staff in one next to it. All within walking distance of Parliament of course.

That would make sense. We should be the first country with a prime minister penthouse instead of house. It could be a huge skyscraper. I like your thinking.

EDIT - Well not huge, but just a bit taller then Place De Ville. Have it the most predominant skyscraper on the landscape, right next to Parliament with the rest of downtown.

It should look like the Woolworth Building in NY as it matches the architecture style of parliament. Give the Prime Minister the top part, and the rest is government buildings:

SCC19-woolworth_pc.jpg

maharg

idspispopd
Breaking news: Sohi confirmed to be the winner of Edmonton-Millwoods. Margin changed from 80 votes... to 79 votes.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/pol...-winner-following-edmonton-mill-woods-recount

So shame on Uppal's team for calling a recount despite the margin being over the 0.15% as per Elections Canada guidelines.

Eh, I don't think there's any shame in it. He's entitled to ask, and I don't think it's a very high price to pay that that request be honored when it's only a bit less close than required when people's votes are at stake.

Glad he didn't win, though, even so.

Mr.Mike

I'm coming around on the idea of tearing down and rebuilding 24 Sussex. We could make it super efficient and futuristic to showcase the future of Canada instead of the past. Like one of those "green home" exhibits.

I'd just hope they don't do anything modernist. It should evoke the old architecture, without looking like a cheap imitation thing like a lot of buildings that try this seem to do.

Sean C

I'd just hope they don't do anything modernist. It should evoke the old architecture, without looking like a cheap imitation thing like a lot of buildings that try this seem to do.
Yeah, if they end up doing the rebuilding option, I'd rather something neoclassical. More modern style paradoxically tend to date much more quickly.

Sean C

Also, I wonder if some part of Randy Boissannault wasn't secretly hoping that the recount showed Sohi lost, since he'd pretty much be guaranteed a ministerial post if that happened.

lacinius

I'm coming around on the idea of tearing down and rebuilding 24 Sussex. We could make it super efficient and futuristic to showcase the future of Canada instead of the past. Like one of those "green home" exhibits.

I would also tie in a website showing the monthly savings from what it used to cost to heat and cool the place, and if they do something with solar, then the power savings as well. All to generate interest in "going green" and making improvements to your own home. Granted 24 Sussex isn't a typical home in Canada, but it still is a home... and a good way to showcase what is possible, showing actual monthly results, and can be part of the green initiatives they campaigned on.

SRG01

Hahaha! What a loser. Even Toet (CPC) in Elmwood-Transcona didn't call for a recount and he lost by 51 votes (like 10-12 votes away from an automatic recount).

Eh, I don't think there's any shame in it. He's entitled to ask, and I don't think it's a very high price to pay that that request be honored when it's only a bit less close than required when people's votes are at stake.

Glad he didn't win, though, even so.

Ooops, for some reason, some sites last week were reporting that the percentage was 0.15%. It's actually less than 1/1000th of the total votes cast according to EC documentation here: http://www.elections.ca/ele/pas/39ge/jud_e.pdf

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'll eat another nacho hat if they tear it down and rebuild it and it doesn't look horribly dated within 10 years.
A new house would be one of those glass box modernist things that people seem to like so much. lol

That said, a new house would them to pretend to do the green power thing - they could install the Tesla home battery and have the house be an example of a "green" house.

Well I'll be damned. The height restriction law was only until 1973.

Edit: there still are height restrictions, but it's a lot more specific than "in Ottawa". I don't think you'd be able to build a skyscraper as close as you're talking.

Tabris

Ottawa is such an ugly downtown though. I've only been there once so wasn't able to experience much of it, but still walked around Parliament, checked out Rideau centre, and the area of downtown between them. We drove by the Prime Ministers home.

Parliament was nice but everything across the street was ugly.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
No building can be taller than the peace tower in Ottawa.

This hasn't been true for 30-40 years, the NCC has strict control over the height of buildings around the Parliament area, but there are many buildings taller than the peace tower in Ottawa (and there's one being built in little Italy that's going to be over 45 stories tall).

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Ottawa is such an ugly downtown though. I've only been there once so wasn't able to experience much of it, but still walked around Parliament, checked out Rideau centre, and the area of downtown between them. We drove by the Prime Ministers home.

Downtown Ottawa is basically dead after 7pm, so no one cares too much.

Tabris

It's weird, only really the US and Canada have such low profile cities as their capitals.

Japan's capital is Tokyo, France is Paris, UK is London, South Korea is Seoul, etc.

Essentially the biggest city or one of the biggest cities tends to be the capital city everywhere in the world except for North America.

EDIT - It's probably just due to the nature of our countries and/or colonies being formed before they were developed. Also a lot of other countries moved their capital cities after war or revolution events which we haven't experienced.

EDIT 2 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_purpose-built_national_capitals I guess there's also countries like Australia that have same thing.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

Dude, you've only visited once. You sound like my dad when he visited Vancouver once and told me that it was a terrible city. And your view runs counter to pretty much everyone who visits the city. the Parliament area of Ottawa has a European flavour to it that you won't find in other cities, except maybe Montreal or Quebec city.

Downtown Ottawa is basically dead after 7pm, so no one cares too much.

That's true for weekdays but not weekends, the market is busy on the weekends because we have two universities and a college in the city and all the university students come out.

That area is nice, but I was mostly referring to the area just south west of parliament, where all the financial buildings are.

Pretty much every financial neighbourhood of every city is dead after working hours. I was staying in the financial area of Gangnam while I was in Seoul, it too was pretty much dead after 7 everyday(including weekends).

Eh, the market isn't dead by 7. Don't base your view of the city by the one day you spent there.

Pretty much, some people here, especially Tabris, have a misguided and outdated view of the city.

It's weird, only really the US and Canada have such low profile cities as their capitals.

Japan's capital is Tokyo, France is Paris, UK is London, South Korea is Seoul, etc.

Essentially the biggest city or one of the biggest cities tends to be the capital city everywhere in the world except for North America.

EDIT - It's probably just due to the nature of our countries and/or colonies being formed before they were developed. Also a lot of other countries moved their capital cities after war or revolution events which we haven't experienced.

EDIT 2 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_purpose-built_national_capitals I guess there's also countries like Australia that have same thing.

There's a reason why Ottawa is the capital, it lies right between the two financial hubs of Canada, Montreal and Toronto. And it's not as low key as you make it sound, I'm in Korea right now and a lot of South Koreans know about Ottawa before I even mentioned where I'm from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom