• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian General Election (OT) - #elxn42: October 19, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
ottawa is the capital mainly because montreal and toronto are so close to the US border

not like it matters anymore

i guess it's better the way it is just because how much influence both cities could have in politics...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I still find it funny that there is a shopping mall minutes from Parliament Hill. I don't know why, but it just makes it seem rather... shabby when compared to "The Mall" in DC.

Besides, I thought Ottawa was chosen as a compromise between Quebec and Ontario since it's technically but not really on the border. Sort of like how DC and Canberra were chosen as capitals of their respective countries, actually.

Tabris

When I say downtown Ottawa is ugly, I am talking about the skyscraper (well I think they are actually high-rises as they don't meet skyscraper height requirements) architecture. Doesn't matter how much I visit, I can see that in the skyline. I was able to see it in person.

The parliament is beautiful but you cross the street and it's ugly 1980s financial building architecture.

Look at the picture I posted above. The left side is beautiful, the right side is a complete eye sore. Compare that to these:

PA312-Electric-Vancouver-Skyline-False-Creek-BC-Canada-Downtown-City-Panoramic-Panorama-Chris-Collacott-avision.ca_.jpg

Skyline1.jpg

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
ottawa is the capital mainly because montreal and toronto are so close to the US border

not like it matters anymore

i guess it's better the way it is just because how much influence both cities could have in politics...

Ottawa is 45 mins from the US border. The main reason is because it's not Montreal or Toronto but close enough to both. Also it's on the border with Quebec, and that helps the city keep it's bilingual status relevant.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
That's true for weekdays but not weekends, the market is busy on the weekends because we have two universities and a college in the city and all the university students come out.

I know, but I was referring to the financial area since that's where I think Tabris was referring to.

EDIT: Yup

Okay, I know this isn't federal but,

Does anyone have any details about the hydro deal or why we are doing it? Are we selling it a bad price? What am I missing regarding this issue?

jstripes

Banned
Ottawa is 45 mins from the US border. The main reason is because it's not Montreal or Toronto but close enough to both. Also it's on the border with Quebec, and that helps the city keep it's bilingual status relevant.

No, Ottawa was chosen as the capitol of Canada because it was so hard for a potential US invasion to get there. 45 minutes now, several days then.

Niagara on the Lake was on of the potential choices for the capitol, but that was immediately abandoned because of how close to the US it was.

fallout

Besides, I thought Ottawa was chosen as a compromise between Quebec and Ontario since it's technically but not really on the border. Sort of like how DC and Canberra were chosen as capitals of their respective countries, actually.
Kinda. It was also not doing well economically and making it the capital had a chance to fix that.

“ the location of the [Seat of Government] at the central point would tend to develop equally the growth of the two Canadas in the very region where a stimulus is required…” Memorial to Her Majesty Queen Victoria, Sir Richard Scott, 1857

http://ottawa.ca/en/residents/arts-...ge/virtual-exhibit-ottawa-becomes-capital-0-0

I mean this entire discussion is predicated on the notion that Ottawa is competing to be a global metropolis. It has a specific charm that's different from Toronto or Vancouver, more low key and less high maintenance.

Tabris is just being kind of a try hard, but like not the Ottawa kind.

Ottawa is such an ugly downtown though. I've only been there once so wasn't able to experience much of it, but still walked around Parliament, checked out Rideau centre, and the area of downtown between them. We drove by the Prime Ministers home.

Parliament was nice but everything across the street was ugly.

Next time you're in town do a biking tour of the canal & river pathways. This city is gorgeous from the right vantage point, just stay out of cars.

This hasn't been true for 30-40 years, the NCC has strict control over the height of buildings around the Parliament area, but there are many buildings taller than the peace tower in Ottawa (and there's one being built in little Italy that's going to be over 45 stories tall).
They are way over building Preston & Carling. It's going to be super weird having those giant buildings (a whole wack of them) sitting right next to single family detached homes.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
No, Ottawa was chosen as the capitol of Canada because it was so hard for a potential US invasion to get there. 45 minutes now, several days then.I

Niagara on the Lake was on of the potential choices for the capitol, but that was immediately abandoned because of how close to the US it was.

Actually, yes.

What you wrote was one of the reasons Ottawa was chosen, but being situated between Toronto and Montreal was a big reason. It's not a coincidence that Ottawa, as a capital, is located between those two cities.

Next time you're in town do a biking tour of the canal & river pathways. This city is gorgeous from the right vantage point, just stay out of cars.

They are way over building Preston & Carling. It's going to be super weird having those giant buildings (a whole wack of them) sitting right next to single family detached homes.

I think slowly they will turn Preston into a bustling second downtown with a second skyline for Ottawa(the first being the view of Parliament) without the small houses. They've already demolished some of those small houses for the Icon.

ItIsOkBro

Does anyone have any details about the hydro deal or why we are doing it? Are we selling it a bad price? What am I missing regarding this issue?

From what I can gather, it's as simple as the yearly revenue Hydro One would generate will eventually exceed whatever they sell it for. However, Ontario desperately needs money now.

Tabris

Toronto and Vancouver both have ugly skylines. In fact most of North America does. I'll take a Euro skyline anyday of the week.

Ugh, you have bad taste my good sir.

Vancouver is one of the best skylines. Modelled after the mecca of skylines, Hong Kong.

Low-rise europe is gross. Well can be pretty but not as a skyline and not what humanity wants to build towards. We need to build up and give back the rest of the land to nature so we can enjoy it as is, instead of full of ugly parking lots, roads, and houses everywhere.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Eh, I don't think there's any shame in it. He's entitled to ask, and I don't think it's a very high price to pay that that request be honored when it's only a bit less close than required when people's votes are at stake.

Glad he didn't win, though, even so.

Yeah my sense is that anything that's not trivially abusive (like a 10% candidate challenging an 80% candidate's won) should be allowed. The deference costs us a rounding error. It's worth spending on fair and open democracy.

Azih

In Ontario right?

Wynne didn't mention she wanted to sell Hydro in the campaign

She's selling more than 50% of it so losing a controlling stake

She's passing laws that exempts Hydro from public disclosure laws

Hyrdo makes money so Wynne is trading long term stable funding for a one time payoff.

It's like the 407 but worse as far as I'm concerned.

gabbo

In Ontario right?

Wynne didn't mention she wanted to sell Hydro in the campaign

She's selling more than 50% of it so losing a controlling stake

She's passing laws that exempts Hydro from public disclosure laws

Hyrdo makes money so Wynne is trading long term stable funding for a one time payoff.

It's like the 407 but worse as far as I'm concerned.

Much worse. next up the LCBO i'm sure.

I'm coming around on the idea of tearing down and rebuilding 24 Sussex. We could make it super efficient and futuristic to showcase the future of Canada instead of the past. Like one of those "green home" exhibits.

I'd just hope they don't do anything modernist. It should evoke the old architecture, without looking like a cheap imitation thing like a lot of buildings that try this seem to do.

totally agree

Stet

Banned
It's weird, only really the US and Canada have such low profile cities as their capitals.

Japan's capital is Tokyo, France is Paris, UK is London, South Korea is Seoul, etc.

Essentially the biggest city or one of the biggest cities tends to be the capital city everywhere in the world except for North America.

EDIT - It's probably just due to the nature of our countries and/or colonies being formed before they were developed. Also a lot of other countries moved their capital cities after war or revolution events which we haven't experienced.

EDIT 2 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_purpose-built_national_capitals I guess there's also countries like Australia that have same thing.

Capital of Australia
Capital of Brazil
Capital of China
Capital of New Zealand
Capital of South Africa
Capital of Turkey
Capital of Switzerland
Capital of the United Arab Emirates

it's like you don't even believe some of the things you type

our capital is still ottawa because changing the capital based on size or qualifiers like being "world-class" is a ridiculous proposition. a capital is the seat of government. get over it.

Capital of Australia
Capital of Brazil
Capital of China
Capital of New Zealand
Capital of South Africa
Capital of Turkey
Capital of Switzerland

our capital is still ottawa because changing the capital based on size or qualifiers like being "world-class" is a ridiculous proposition. a capital is the seat of government. get over it.
I agree with Stet, it is best to separate cities that are economic power centers apart from political power centers unless they are ancient old countries with lots of historical baggage.

Keep the political power in Ottawa and keep the economic power centers in the big cities.

Ottawa became the capital on the Outaouais river to bridge between Ontario and Quebec which where the two founding Provinces.

Toronto only became Canada's economic power center after 1980. Prior to 1980, Montreal was Canada's most important economic motor but Toronto can thank the PQ and Réné Lévesque for scaring many head offices, banks and financial institutions to leave Montreal.

Tabris

Capital of China

Abu Dhabi and Beijing are top 2 and 3 cities respectively in each country so it applies. Most of the world has world class cities relative to their country as their capitals. Of course there's exceptions but it's in the minority.

You're such an aggro person btw. You may want to check on that as you get older to reduce your stress.

Abu Dhabi and Beijing are top 2 and 3 cities respectively in each country so it applies. Most of the world has world class cities relative to their country as their capitals. Of course there's exceptions but it's in the minority.

You're such an aggro person btw. You may want to check on that as you get older to reduce your stress.

Like I said, it is a separation of economic power centers from the political power center.

New countries like Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Brazil decided to have their capital away from their Economic power centers.

the US's Capital isn't in New York City (the defacto capital of America's economic motor) but it Washington DC.

Even some provinces don't have their biggest city as the Capital. Quebec it's Quebec City not Montreal. Alberta it's Edmonton not Calgary. BC it's Victoria not Vancouver.

A lot of older countries started out as powerful city-states that extended their influence. Capital cities in those cases were never 'chosen', but just the defacto centers of power as the empires grew.

maharg

idspispopd
if AV guarantees Liberal victories, than that is all that matters. So i support AV

It doesn't. If you want the CPC to continue to pander to the far right and continue to sometimes form majority governments, AV is the thing for you. Last election would have resulted in a CPC minority, for example, probably, and could easily have become a CPC majority with minor differences in second choices.

It also means the Bloc (or something like it) could still become official opposition again (though they'd have been fucked in either of the last two elections). You want that, right?

maharg

idspispopd
I'm not sure how the author reached those numbers.

Well, the standard way is to take polling results for second choices and do runoff voting rounds based on that for the ridings where the riding wasn't elected with a majority. Obviously if people were building their vote strategy into their ballot they might do it differently, and usually there isn't regional breakdowns of second choices, but it still works as a hypothetical demonstration of how distorted results can get under AV with plausible scenarios.

In this case they used Nanos' final poll's numbers.

Rideau Hall grounds open to public for Justin Trudeau's swearing-in Nov. 4

Rideau Hall is opening its grounds as the new Liberal government is sworn in on Wednesday — and Canadians are invited to attend.

The public can come watch in person as prime minister-designate Justin Trudeau and his incoming cabinet ministers arrive at the official residence of the Governor General for the 10:30 a.m. ET swearing-in ceremony.

Gates will open to the public at 9 a.m. ET, the Governor General's office said in a release Friday.

This Guy Created a Petition to Rename Calgary’s Airport After Stephen Harper

Yesterday, a petition to have Calgary International Airport renamed to "Stephen J. Harper International Airport" cropped up on the internet after a Calgary man made the point that the outgoing prime minister deserves to have YYC—one of Canada's busiest places for flying machines to land at—named after him.

Although the main petition...has no exact signature count, a proxy petition on Change.org has garnered over 2,000 signatures since yesterday afternoon, thus putting it on track to go absolutely nowhere.

The man who created the petition, Ezra Levant, describes himself as a "lawyer" and ""all-around troublemaker" on Twitter. In order to learn a little bit more about him and his reasoning behind proposing the sure-to-fail idea, we gave him a call while he was, believe it or not, about to board a plane.
Cringe worthy Interview here: http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/we-i...after-stephen-harper?utm_source=vicetwitterca
lol Erza (the former Sun Media dude and now one of the main people at Rebel Media)

Canada's Federal Budget Deficit Widens To $2.3 Billion In August

OTTAWA — The federal government ran a deficit of $2.3 billion in August, according to the Finance Department's monthly fiscal monitor.

The result compares with a deficit of $300 million in the same month last year, and a surplus of $150 million a month earlier, in July.

Revenue increased by $2.8 billion, or 14.6 per cent, for the month compared to August of 2014, while program spending increased by $4.4 billion, or 24.8 per cent.

The increase in spending was due mainly to updated estimates related to pension and other employee and veteran benefit costs.

Public debt charges increased by $500 million, or 23.5 per cent, due in part to charges from a bond buyback.

For the fiscal year that began in April, Ottawa has a surplus of $2.8 billion so far.

That compares with a deficit of $1.1 billion for the same five-month period last year.

Can we all agree this guy is a moron? Please?
We all vote and participate in our democracy collectively

but honnestly, deep down our hearts, we root for our own team.

So if Bill Belichick and Tom Brady can get away winning Super Bowls with shenanigans, and don't see what is the difference for taking advantage to win Politically

deed down, your root for your team and get displeased when your team doesn't win

the difference with me is that I don't hide that part in the back of my head that ''prefers'' that my team wins more often at times to all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom