• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian General Election (OT) - #elxn42: October 19, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

mo60

if it grantees Liberal victories forever? Yes

I have little esteem for ''democracy'' when people vote the wrong way

No voting system will gurantee victories for one party forever.A poltical party will mess up eventually and they will lose in any voting system. Your wish will never come true.

maharg

idspispopd
We all vote and participate in our democracy collectively

but honnestly, deep down our hearts, we root for our own team.

So if Bill Belichick and Tom Brady can get away winning Super Bowls with shenanigans, and don't see what is the difference for taking advantage to win Politically

deed down, your root for your team and get displeased when your team doesn't win

the difference with me is that I don't hide that part in the back of my head that ''prefers'' that my team wins more often at times to all the time

My team is "functional democracy" and I don't hide that I want it to "win".

gabbo

if it grantees Liberal victories forever? Yes

I have little esteem for ''democracy'' when people vote the wrong way

I suppose we could have the Chinese on-party system and cull those who vote against the party.
Would you prefer that? I mean if 'voting' is the only real objective you have

Pedrito

This Guy Created a Petition to Rename Calgary’s Airport After Stephen Harper

There's a better petition:

https://www.change.org/p/rename-stephen-harper-to-calgary-international-airport?recruiter=416415018

I suppose we could have the Chinese on-party system and cull those who vote against the party.
Would you prefer that? I mean if 'voting' is the only real objective you have

Well, Justin himself said he admires the chinese system so the answer is probably yes.

I was watching Les Grand Reportages on Radio-Canada

the tears, the péquisites tears... so delicious (20th anniversary of the separatists losing their referendum)

20 years later, they haven't learned

Silexx

lol

on another note looking at all this recent Arctic passage, cooperation and north pole story articles that are popping up, it comes with great annoyance that are number #1 ally is literally so greedy that they want to take the Arctic from us

it isn't yours America.... stop trying to own everything

If only we had a sufficiently funded and equipped Navy that could allow us to patrol and defend our waters without any reliance on the US. Sure would be nice....

SRG01

And for the latest in ridiculous Canadian politics, the Wild Rose party in Alberta is threatening to fillibuster because... the NDP wants to start sitting hours as early as 9am. Wait, what? Are the Wild Rose opposing for the sake of opposing?

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...-ndp-proposal-to-convene-legislature-at-9-a-m

(Oh, and for extra ridiculousness, the Wild Rose was criticizing the $5000 tax credit per employed person... but that policy was also pushed by the federal CPC, which Brian Jean was a part of when he was a CPC MP.)

Pedrito

Weird, I was often told those good conservative Albertans were the hardest working people in the country. You'd think they would be ready to go at 7 am.

maharg

idspispopd
And for the latest in ridiculous Canadian politics, the Wild Rose party in Alberta is threatening to fillibuster because... the NDP wants to start sitting hours as early as 9am. Wait, what? Are the Wild Rose opposing for the sake of opposing?

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...-ndp-proposal-to-convene-legislature-at-9-a-m

(Oh, and for extra ridiculousness, the Wild Rose was criticizing the $5000 tax credit per employed person... but that policy was also pushed by the federal CPC, which Brian Jean was a part of when he was a CPC MP.)

Their claim is that the NDP will use the extra sitting (since it would make it so there are three sitting periods in a day instead of 2) to ram through legislation but.. they have a majority, so I'm not sure why they'd need to. Kinda sounds like the WR plan to do a lot of filibustering.

Really bad optics though, and I can't imagine why they thought this was a good idea.

mo60

Their claim is that the NDP will use the extra sitting (since it would make it so there are three sitting periods in a day instead of 2) to ram through legislation but.. they have a majority, so I'm not sure why they'd need to. Kinda sounds like the WR plan to do a lot of filibustering.

Really bad optics though, and I can't imagine why they thought this was a good idea.

I wonder if the way the WR is acting now will hurt their popular support eventually?

SRG01

The logic behind it is just... weird. Theoretically, more sitting time means more time to debate regardless of the NDP's majority position, so wouldn't the WR be in favor of it?!

I mean, the only way they'd be able to claim that they were going to ram through legislation is if the NDP introduced motions to limit debates in the first place. It's not like they're removing opportunities for the opposition to speak.

It's really, really surreal.

As an added note, if the WR do intend to do a lot of filibustering, then they'd need actual, real material to filibuster against. Otherwise, they'd be cast as obstructionist.

I wonder if ]the WR is acting now will hurt their popular support eventually?

The strange thing about the WR is that they've always had periods outside of the writ where they lead the governing party by a significant margin, but always drop in support once the writ is dropped. That's because not a lot of people care about politics outside of the election period aside from the hardcore WR supporters.

I mean, they've increased their seat count, but it's pretty marginal election to election.

mo60

The logic behind it is just... weird. Theoretically, more sitting time means more time to debate regardless of the NDP's majority position, so wouldn't the WR be in favor of it?!

I mean, the only way they'd be able to claim that they were going to ram through legislation is if the NDP introduced motions to limit debates in the first place. It's not like they're removing opportunities for the opposition to speak.

It's really, really surreal.

As an added note, if the WR do intend to do a lot of filibustering, then they'd need actual, real material to filibuster against. Otherwise, they'd be cast as obstructionist.

The strange thing about the WR is that they've always had periods outside of the writ where they lead the governing party by a significant margin, but always drop in support once the writ is dropped. That's because not a lot of people care about politics outside of the election period aside from the hardcore WR supporters.

I mean, they've increased their seat count, but it's pretty marginal election to election.

I noticed that while looking at some recent after election polls in Alberta. I do expect the Wildrose's support to drop eventually before the next election as long as the ndp doesn't screw up.

gabbo

They just have to appear to be fighting those leftists I guess. I mean, so long as they don't want to grow there base of support. Contrarian for the sake of it appears to be the official stance of most oppositions these days
I get the feeling Albertans (or citizens of any province) wouldn't be against politicians actually working more/longer unless they pass a huge pay increase along with it.

LakeEarth

harper-protect-our-economy.jpg

http://www.leaderpost.com/news/fras...unt+request+regina+lewvan/11481722/story.html

Recount in Regina has upheld the NDP victory over the Conservatives. Final vote count was:

Erin Weir (NDP) - 16,843
Trent Fraser (CPC) - 16,711
Louie Browne (LPC) - 13,143

The Liberals rose massively in the riding, but the NDP managed to hold by 132 votes. The recount was asked for by Fraser, but he withdrew his request partway through the recount after the judge refused to throw out uninitialled ballots.

What, exactly, is an "uninitialled ballot"?

When you return your ballot to the deputy returning officer, they make sure it is folder and initial the back to indicate they've seen it. It's to prevent box stuffing. It sounds like there were a few (Fraser insists dozens) that weren't initialled properly, which is implying that the NDP stuff the ballot boxes with fake ballots. Most likely it was a technical mistake by some returning officers forgetting the process.

Anyone following the Hydro privatization in Ontario? The FAO released a report showing the sell off will only produce $1.4 billion in 10 years instead of the $6 billion the Liberals said it would, but it's still full steam ahead with the sale which happens Thursday. Meanwhile, Wynne is on a trade mission to Colorado and California for the next two weeks. This couldn't be shadier :s

SRG01

Anyone following the Hydro privatization in Ontario? The FAO released a report showing the sell off will only produce $1.4 billion in 10 years instead of the $6 billion the Liberals said it would, but it's still full steam ahead with the sale which happens Thursday. Meanwhile, Wynne is on a trade mission to Colorado and California for the next two weeks. This couldn't be shadier :s

The Wynne government has always been super shady. It still boggles my mind how they managed to win the previous election.

I mean.

SIX BILLION?

The Wynne government has always been super shady. It still boggles my mind how they managed to win the previous election.

I mean.

SIX BILLION?

Sadly Ontario is in a pretty bad spot politically wise.

The Liberals are pretty much corrupt, as we have seen the past few years. Their only saving grace has been the fact that they have been able to keep hold of their core supporters around Toronto by focusing and promising infrastructure for the economic hubs of the province. But considering how its been nothing but scandal after scandal, burned money and deceit, day in day out people really want somebody different, so they begin shopping around the other parties.

First we look at the NDP, which because of Bob Rae in the 90's, people immediately move on, despite that being two decades ago and him having been forced into a tough spot. Bridges were burned and the population centers don't trust the NDP.

Moving on, we have the next logical movement. The Progressive Conservatives. Usually in times of need, Ontarians have jumped back to them in order to boot out the scandalous Liberals... but something interesting happened in the 90's after Bob Rae was booted out. We brought in the Progressive Conservatives with Mike Harris, and all of a sudden, infrastructure improvements made from the 90's were immediately shut down. In population centers, he ordered a stop to infrastructure upgrades, and forced Municipalities to actually fill in holes they had dug for subway routes. He sold off the 407 Highway in Toronto to a company for faar less than it cost to build, and we now get gouged on fares. Basically, we got fucked, and he stepped down because of his unpopularity, something which got the Progressive Conservatives another term under a new guy, who then proceeded to try and sell off Hydro One. Bridges were burned down, and we jumped back to the Liberals.

In the last election, it was the Liberals election to loose. They had everything going against them. Scandals, rising debt, being turned into a
"Have Not Province". Anything that you can name that could go wrong, did. In the polls, the Progressive Conservatives run by Tim Hudak were riding the high wave for awhile, but then in the last couple weeks they completely shit the bed by saying they would immediately fire or lay off something like 100,000 Government workers as one part of the solution in fixing our problems. They then went full retard and started going against the large population centers by saying they would minimize or lower infrastructure spending, and suddenly people started having flashbacks of Mike Harris and, because of the NDP bridge still being rebuilt, we jumped back on the Liberal train, who funnily enough had an extremely similar platform to the NDP....only without the corruption.

So the Liberals win a strong Majority, and now we look towards the next election. Tim Hudak of the Progressive Conservatives stepped down... so that seems perfect, "we might have a chance of defeating the Liberals next time around with a sane leader" everyone cheered... and then the Progressive Conservatives went full retard yet again and got some guy named Patrick Brown named as their leader who is against Abortion. Though over the past year he spent time trying to win over the Population centers, it was working, we assumed that we could probably deal with his abortion views as long as he doesn't get a majority, but then Steven Harper's Campaign a couple weeks ago ironically began burning every single inch of good will he obtained, and destroyed all the bridges he was planning to use to win (mainly immigrants in Toronto).

So for the next election, things are looking slim for the PC's again, and what we have to look forward to is another Liberal Government unless either the Progressive Conservatives can get their act together and begin distancing themselves from the Federal Conservatives and begin rebuilding bridges, or for the NDP to work on getting its bridge fixed (something that Andrea Howarth has been doing a good job of lately).. or we can hope that this privatization of Hydro One fails in the most spectacular way possible that forces people to take a risk on broken bridges.

And there you have it.
I may be remembering some portion of these events wrong, but the majority is correct

ItIsOkBro

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. It will produce ~6 billion, but considering the loss in revenue that Hydro One would have generated for Ontario in the next 10 years, at the end of 10 years the net profit will be ~1.4 billion. Soon after that the lost revenue will exceed the sale price, plunging Ontario into further debt. Either way, Wynne's infrastructure plan costs like 100+ billion. The Hydro One sale barely makes a dent. The sale is so stupid.

Zips

Privatizing Hydro One is a really stupid idea. Such a core utility, and one that can produce reliable revenue.

I voted NDP the election Wynne got in. Still don't like her.

SRG01

So here's a question for Ontario then: why won't the NDP and PCs merge to form something like the Saskatchewan party? I mean, that's what the Liberals and PCs did in Saskatchewan to unseat the NDP, no? The Ontario NDP and PCs are pretty much dead in the water after numerous elections, so wouldn't this be the best course of action despite the political differences?

Privatizing Hydro One is a really stupid idea. Such a core utility, and one that can produce reliable revenue.

I voted NDP the election Wynne got in. Still don't like her.
I mean realistically Mike Harris in the 90's should have never broke up Ontario Power into multiple different crown corporations to begin with. Once that happened this really was the only way it was going to turn out.

Re: Hydro One, my expectation is that this first 15% is all you're going to see sold off for a long time. It's becoming such a hot potato that it's not going to go further than that for a while.

Trudeau's in power soon and has already talked big on transit funding. If he actually offers to fully fund transit expansion in Vancouver, or at least significantly > the usual 33%, he'd have to do the same elsewhere.

So here's a question for Ontario then: why won't the NDP and PCs merge to form something like the Saskatchewan party? I mean, that's what the Liberals and PCs did in Saskatchewan to unseat the NDP, no? The Ontario NDP and PCs are pretty much dead in the water after numerous elections, so wouldn't this be the best course of action despite the political differences?

The political differences are too big; they agree on next to nothing other than contempt for Liberals (but for different reasons). In Ontario, ths parties are analogous to their federal counterparts, so imagine the NDP becoming the same party as Harper Conservatives. Yeah, not happening basically.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong. It will produce ~6 billion, but considering the loss in revenue that Hydro One would have generated for Ontario in the next 10 years, at the end of 10 years the net profit will be ~1.4 billion. Soon after that the lost revenue will exceed the sale price, plunging Ontario into further debt. Either way, Wynne's infrastructure plan costs like 100+ billion. The Hydro One sale barely makes a dent. The sale is so stupid.

Yep, that's exactly right. The Liberals said it would make $9 billion up front, but they were not taking into account the fact that the province would lose long term revenue (and $9 billion was too optimistic even by their own metric). What smells funky to me is how the deal is proven to be objectively and demonstrably bad and deeply unpopular, yet they are still going through with it. And Wynne leaving the country too as the sale goes down. I don't want to sound like some conspiracy junky, but where there's smoke, there's gotta be fire, and this whole deal is super shady. Unless someone can think of a logical reason why anyone would do this; ruling out the ideological belief in the good of privatization

Layell

I too am really frustrated with Wynne's decision to go through, of course the fact is I could never vote PC, and the NDP have no chance with older Ontario voters, plus the fact my riding runs blood red means I don't have much of a chance. Ontario liberals will get another majority unless something really blows them down (and it won't be the conservative party)

Also my submission for the Canada Poligaf thread subtitle is: "Trudeaumania 2.0"

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
If NDP sided with the conservatives, all those NDP votes would then go to the liberals further increasing their power lol

the main reason wynne won was because the conservatives and NDP were running terrible campaigns. just remember... 1 million new jobs... (for a province with half a million out of work)

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
*1.1 million

let's again remind ourselves that baby boomers are going to start retiring soon and we're going to have a massive labor shortage

projections of 200,000 jobs with no one to hire (in ontario alone)... but let's promise to add a million more because why not

Zzoram

Horrible Ontario PC party. Horrible. Can't help but lose elections.

Mike Harris was the notorious Ontario PC leader who privatized a lot of government assets in a fire sale, amalgamated the suburbs around Toronto into Metro Toronto (eventually resulting in Rob Ford getting elected mayor by offering to cut a $60 car tax and to cancel a downtown LRT transit plan that won him all the suburb wards while losing all of downtown Toronto), and laid off thousands of teachers and nurses to afford tax cuts. Mike Harris also "downloaded" a lot of costs to municipalities that used to be paid for by the province to pay for personal and business income tax cuts, causing local property taxes to go up to compensate. To be fair, the economy in Ontario did improve a lot under Mike Harris, so maybe some of his tax cuts helped.

After stepping down, Mike Harris' replacement Earnie Eaves became infamous for saying then Liberal Leader Dalton McGuinty had a pointy head, then losing the election with strong union opposition.

John Tory lost an easy win election against Dalton McGuinty's scandal plagued government by announcing that he would give everyone the ability to opt out of public school and take their vouchers to private religious schools. Most Canadians recognize that public schools are the reason our society works, they allow people of all different socioeconomic, racial, religious and cultural backgrounds to mingle and learn not to fear each other. School vouchers would inevitable lead to an extremely segregated society.

The next PC leader Tim Hudak lost an easy win against Kathleen Wynne who inherited Dalton McGuinty's scandal plagued government that paid over $1 Billion in penalty fees to cancel unpopular gas power plants to win 2 MP risings, by announcing that he would cut 100,000 government jobs and somehow create 1 Million private sector jobs in the process. People got scared of the cuts and as others have mentioned previously, there was nowhere close to 1 Million unemployed people in the province.

New PC leader Patrick Brown is against abortion, against same-sex marriage, and against sex education in schools. The Ontario PCs went from a serious of fiscal conservative leaders to now a social conservative leader, in the most diverse province in Canada, that just gave a majority government a lesbian woman Premier introducing a new sex education curriculum that acknowledges the existence of homosexuality, masturbation and oral sex. The optics on Patrick Brown vs. Kathleen Wynne are definitely not in the favour of the PC, who risk coming out of the next election looking like bigots. The Ontario PC already kinda look bigoted, with one of their MPs emphatic that Kathleen Wynne was especially unsuited for changing sex education, even though she was a teacher and education minister, the implication being that her being lesbian should disqualify her from changing sex education. Also, Stephen Harper ran an anti-Muslim federal Conservative campaign in the final weeks of the federal election, which will only further tarnish the Ontario PCs reputation with new Canadians.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom