• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So let's make a NeoGAF national television ad and put it on Fox News

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronito

DarkWish said:
We should totally have something about the Homeless-Age topic: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=370505.

Very inspirational and shows everyone that GAF can do amazing things. Heck, those watching on Fox will be surprised to see a gaming forum could accomplish such a thing.
Are you kidding. Helping out a homeless/poor person? that's enough to give half of FoxNews watcher rage induced heart attacks.....wait, on second thought...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
How about we do something to purposely try and piss off a political group or ideal and add in a mail bag to the site for them to write us? See how many people we can get to write in supporting us/damning us to hell.

kassatsu said:
pewpewpew.gif

Dino Riders was the shit son!

I would love to help. I have limited funds, but would be willing to pledge some of them to the cause. I have a few skills that could possibly come in handy...

joelseph

I think we should stuff it full of youtube clips and obscure memes, people love it when you are constantly showing them these things. "It's a cat that plays a keyboard!"

Javaman

ronito said:
Are you kidding. Helping out a homeless/poor person? that's enough to give half of FoxNews watcher rage induced heart attacks.....wait, on second thought...

Is it really that surprising?
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/03/conservatives_more_liberal_giv.html
-- Although liberal families' incomes average 6 percent higher than those of conservative families, conservative-headed households give, on average, 30 percent more to charity than the average liberal-headed household ($1,600 per year vs. $1,227).

-- Conservatives also donate more time and give more blood.

-- Residents of the states that voted for John Kerry in 2004 gave smaller percentages of their incomes to charity than did residents of states that voted for George Bush.

-- Bush carried 24 of the 25 states where charitable giving was above average.

-- In the 10 reddest states, in which Bush got more than 60 percent majorities, the average percentage of personal income donated to charity was 3.5. Residents of the bluest states, which gave Bush less than 40 percent, donated just 1.9 percent.

-- People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition.

Brooks demonstrates a correlation between charitable behavior and "the values that lie beneath" liberal and conservative labels. Two influences on charitable behavior are religion and attitudes about the proper role of government.

The single biggest predictor of someone's altruism, Willett says, is religion. It increasingly correlates with conservative political affiliations because, as Brooks' book says, "the percentage of self-described Democrats who say they have 'no religion' has more than quadrupled since the early 1970s." America is largely divided between religious givers and secular nongivers, and the former are disproportionately conservative. One demonstration that religion is a strong determinant of charitable behavior is that the least charitable cohort is a relatively small one -- secular conservatives.

Shanadeus

Banned
Here we go, disregard the choice of music:
Part 1
Part 2

Soooomething like that, with of course Evilore narrating it and better music for both first and second part, the second part being an sudden change in style and message where Neogaf is shown off.

Shanadeus said:
Here we go, disregard the choice of music:
Part 1
Part 2

Soooomething like that, with of course Evilore narrating it and better music for both first and second part, the second part being an sudden change in style and message where Neogaf is shown off.

Absolutely love it. I think the last part needs adjusting though. I don't think it gets across the rediculousness of NeoGAF and of course we don't have MODUS' final stuff to go in there yet. Great work!

I still like the idea of having the NeoGAF ball closing with various image captures of message board posts and non-copyright images gravitating around it and being sucked into the center as it seals.

Still, I think this looks really good.

Like Evilore has said, I do think we need to avoid delving into Memes. NeoGAF is much more than that. That last half needs something that will contrast everything you see in those first few images.

Definitely on the right track.

Edit: LAWL at the new tag.

EDIT 2: For that last half. I can imagine floating windows with message board posts highlighting some of the more popular threads on GAF. They'd have a graphical MODUS created boarder around them and feature PoliGAF, NDPGAF, plus some threads that feature our sillier side.

Shanadeus

Banned
DoctorWho said:
Absolutely love it. I think the last part needs adjusting though. I don't think it gets across the rediculousness of NeoGAF and of course we don't have MODUS' final stuff to go in there yet. Great work!

I still like the idea of having the NeoGAF ball closing with various image captures of message board posts and non-copyright images gravitating around it and being sucked into the center as it seals.

Still, I think this looks really good.

Like Evilore has said, I do think we need to avoid delving into Memes. NeoGAF is much more than that. That last half needs something that will contrast everything you see in those first few images.

Definitely on the right track.

Edit: LAWL at the new tag.

EDIT 2: For that last half. I can imagine floating windows with message board posts highlighting some of the more popular threads on GAF. They'd have a graphical MODUS created boarder around them and feature PoliGAF, NDPGAF, plus some threads that feature our sillier side.

I had precisely that idea with MODUS neogaf ball, we see a stream of neogaf messages and topics and images kinda appearing in a pretty rapid succession, and it's all swallowed up by the neogaf logo, and then "NeoGAF" appears underneath it, and maybe whispered, and logo and text is replaced by "Believe" and whispered at the same time like I did. That site is pretty much the only way I could create an prototype, and I'm afraid I won't be of use in creating any more elaborate shifts and events. But I'm sure there are plenty of people on gaf that can create something in a similar fashion, and better.

I also think that changing back the "DO YOU BELIEVE..." to "YOU BELIEVE IN", making it more of a statement and re-affirmation of traditional Foxnews/american values and viewpoint. And then you phrase the question "DO YOU BELIEVE IN... NEOGAF?" and you make the crazy and contrasting sideshow like you said.

I think it could all fit into 45 seconds or so which should be short enough.

Shanadeus said:
I had precisly that idea with MODUS neogaf ball, we see a stream of neogaf messages and topics and images kinda appearing in a pretty rapid succession, and it's all swallowed up by the neogaf logo, and then "NeoGAF" appears underneath it, and maybe whispered, and logo and text is replaced by "Believe" and whispered at the same time like I did. That site is pretty much the only way I could create an prototype, and I'm afraid I won't be of use in creating any more eloborate shifts and events. But I'm sure there are plenty of people on gaf that can create something in a similar fashion, and better.

I also think that changing back the "DO YOU BELIEVE..." to "YOU BELIEVE IN", making it more of a statement and re-affirmation of traditional Foxnews/american values and viewpoint. And then you phrase the question "DO YOU BELIEVE IN... NEOGAF?" and you make the crazy and contrasting slideshow like you said.

I think it could all fit into 45 seconds or so which should be short enough.

Sounds great. You make a good case for switching back to the "You Believe In" statement. I love that the first half pushes all the FOX NEWS audience buttons that is why the second half has to contrast as much as possible. I'm trying to keep in mind Evilore's original intent that this is meant to be silly and fun and that second half definitely has to capture that.

We definitely need some input from Evilore at this point.

EDIT: I wonder if 45 seconds might be running too long. I would think 30 seconds would be the maximum.

Shanadeus

Banned
DoctorWho said:
Sounds great. You make a good case for switching back to the "You Believe In" statement. I love that the first half pushes all the FOX NEWS audience buttons that is why the second half has to contrast as much as possible. I'm trying to keep in mind Evilore's original intent that this is meant to be silly and fun and that second half definitely has to capture that.

We definitely need some input from Evilore at this point.

EDIT: I wonder if 45 seconds might be running too long. I would think 30 seconds would be the maximum.
Which is why we need some input from Evilore, I think you could reduce it to 30 seconds but then you'd have to shorten the first part quite a bit and change it around. Like having a continuous monologue instead of breaking it up in bits like I have now.

"You believe in your country, in freedom and the pursuit of happyness" [Whilst showing images of the american flag, statue of liberty and a smiling happy family] - 8-10 seconds
[Sreen goes black and the following is shown on screen and said simultaniously]
"But do you believe in... neogaf?"
[Everything you said regarding the second part] - 15 seconds
"NEOGAF" [Appearing underneath the logo that's just closed up] - 3 seconds
"BELIEVE [Replacing the logo and text and being whispered like in the second part I made] - 2 seconds

EDIT: Made a slightly improved one, the more examples the better:

Part 1 revised

Part 2 revised

msv

Awesome, I like it. The last BELIEVE, written one, should be big and with an awesome impact. I can see it, gj Shanadeus.

Also, perhaps we can do a subtle overlay of dramatic readings of ridiculous posts when the tension rises. Together with the pics. Animate the contents of those posts maybe, would be a good way to convey everything without having to use copyrighted stuff.

Shanadeus

Banned
They're up on youtube now in case anyone want to edit and improve upon them, or add in new ideas. We're still in the idea stage I reckon so the more example ads people can create the better, then Evilore should probably decide what direction it'll go.

Part 1 on youtube

Part 2 on youtube

Parts 1&2 - 55 seconds but I see plenty of parts that can be improved and shortened.

BELIEVE GAF!

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I like the idea of doing something inflammatory and then showing an email address they can write to, just so we can all get a kick out of the ridiculousness of late-night Fox viewers :lol

don't get me wrong, the vids here look sweet and a lot of good ideas, but I think the email idea really has some staying power. it'll pay it forward to the rest of us, and create an epic thread.

Shanadeus said:
Which is why we need some input from Evilore, I think you could reduce it to 30 seconds but then you'd have to shorten the first part quite a bit and change it around. Like having a continuous monologue instead of breaking it up in bits like I have now.

"You believe in your country, in freedom and the pursuit of happyness" [Whilst showing images of the american flag, statue of liberty and a smiling happy family] - 8-10 seconds
[Sreen goes black and the following is shown on screen and said simultaniously]
"But do you believe in... neogaf?"
[Everything you said regarding the second part] - 15 seconds
"NEOGAF" [Appearing underneath the logo that's just closed up] - 3 seconds
"BELIEVE [Replacing the logo and text and being whispered like in the second part I made] - 2 seconds

EDIT: Made a slightly improved one, the more examples the better:

Part 1 revised

Part 2 revised

Those are some great improvements! Good stuff!

msv

whytemyke said:
I like the idea of doing something inflammatory and then showing an email address they can write to, just so we can all get a kick out of the ridiculousness of late-night Fox viewers :lol

don't get me wrong, the vids here look sweet and a lot of good ideas, but I think the email idea really has some staying power. it'll pay it forward to the rest of us, and create an epic thread.
I like it :lol We can use some free trash mail and see what kind of hate mail turns up.

Shanadeus

Banned
whytemyke said:

That sounds like a great idea as well, would be an instantly classic thread.

btkadams

whytemyke said:

i love this idea. then we can see the effect of the ad!

Binabik15

Nothing would be more inflammatory for Fox viewers than a Woodsy thread and the replies :D

Maybe add: NeoGAF*. Believe etc pp

*as seen on Stormfront

OR

If you go with the "do you believe in" add have "NeoGAF: Home of gayming-AGE"

:lol

Shanadeus

Banned
Making the fox news audience rage is a goal to strive for, but best kept subtle.
A too mocking advert might get pulled in from Google or something.
I like what someone else suggested in the thread, to just temporarily change the front of the neogaf.com into something like NeoGAY, Arabic text, etc while a not so inflammatory ad is on tv.

Binabik15 said:
Nothing would be more inflammatory for Fox viewers than a Woodsy thread and the replies :D

Maybe add: NeoGAF*. Believe etc pp

*as seen on Stormfront

OR

If you go with the "do you believe in" add have "NeoGAF: Home of gayming-AGE"

:lol

Actually Gayming-AGE would be a perfect thread to feature in the latter half of the ad. :lol
E-Mail seems like a great idea too.

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
whytemyke said:

great idea. you guys have to do it.

Shanadeus

Banned
I don't think displaying the e-mail address in the ad which'll be short on time will be effective, you're better off just putting something like "We would very much like to hear what you think of our site, mail us at..." where you can't miss it on the front page. That way you'll get messages from people that bothered checking up on the cryptic neogaf ad, and find a forum filled with gays, terrurists and liberals.

And am starting to think the "believe" need to be said by a female, makes for a more attractive ad (Evilore's voice is still great for the narration). My mic is pretty crappy but there are plenty of female gaffers around that can contribute I hope.

Shanadeus said:
I don't think displaying the e-mail address in the ad which'll be short on time will be effective, you're better off just putting something like "We would very much like to hear what you think of our site, mail us at..." where you can't miss it on the front page. That way you'll get messages from people that bothered checking up on the cryptic neogaf ad, and find a forum filled with gays, terrurists and liberals.

And am starting to think the "believe" need to be said by a female, makes for a more attractive ad (Evilore's voice is still great for the narration). My mic is pretty crappy but there are plenty of female gaffers around that can contribute I hope.

Yeah, I don't see too many e-mail addresses in commercials these days. Ammending the front page to prompt those who view the ad to e-mail us would be great.

Evilore believes we won't get more than 1000-1500 hits from what I recall. So i wouldn't expect much in the way of an e-mail response. Then again, maybe the cryptic nature will garner a larger response than expected.

CHARMING MIDDLE-AGED MAN IN SUIT: "do you want to talk to other retardeds"

RETARDED: "yes i do"

CHARMING MIDDLE-AGED MAN IN SUIT: "then login to neogaf, another fucking internet forum full of useless pillocks with unqualified opinions on everything, but usually confined to videogames, anime, repressed sexuality, and basic internet infantilism"

RETARDED: "yay! yay! yay!"

CHARMING MIDDLE-AGED MAN: "here's your recycled 4chan meme and tedious inside joke of a tag! welcome!"

*BEAT*

CHARMING MIDDLE-AGED MAN: "...and we'll throw in an rss feed to the borecast for absolutely FREE!"

RETARDED: "that's too retarded even for me"

BOTH: "*laugh*

CUT TO LOGO

Shanadeus

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
CHARMING MIDDLE-AGED MAN IN SUIT: "do you want to talk to other retardeds"

RETARDED: "yes i do"

CHARMING MIDDLE-AGED MAN IN SUIT: "then login to neogaf, another fucking internet forum full of useless pillocks with unqualified opinions on everything, but usually confined to videogames, anime, repressed sexuality, and basic internet infantilism"

RETARDED: "yay! yay! yay!"

CHARMING MIDDLE-AGED MAN: "here's your recycled 4chan meme and tedious inside joke of a tag! welcome!"

*BEAT*

CHARMING MIDDLE-AGED MAN: "...and we'll throw in an rss feed to the borecast for absolutely FREE!"

RETARDED: "that's too retarded even for me"

BOTH: "*laugh*

CUT TO LOGO

Haha oh wow, lame account suicide.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Has Evilore made any indications one way or the other?

I'm still recovering from the gaf skin project, but I've been keeping an eye on things here as they develop.

I don't think so, Evilore just want to narrate something fun and awesome I think.

Yes, you get it. Really, guys, it's best to drop the *entire* aspect of maximizing the amount of people who respond to the ad or anything along those lines. I don't give a shit about how many visits we get from this. I'm fine with zero. All I care about is getting a fun and memorable experience out of the project, so we can look back and go, "yeah, we put this on a national television network, and it was fuckin' glorious."

Working with that "do you believe" concept is fine, or something else along those lines. It's the visual component I'm concerned about. M0dus has the NeoGAF graphics covered, but we're going to need the elements leading up to that. Stock footage related to the script of the voice-over could work, probably, unless we have someone capable of making something in flash. I'm intentionally trying to stay away from live action for this, since it complicates matters heavily and has the highest chance of turning out shitty.

Haha oh wow, lame account suicide.

Never fails.

ATF487

I was thinking of a Cheers parody, maybe set in the GAF bar in NYC, with the logo and 'Believe.' on a black screen at the end.

edit: evilore says no live action, but i'd say pitching a communal atmosphere, animated or live > any lame attempts at humor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom