• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So let's make a NeoGAF national television ad and put it on Fox News

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinFonda

Are you tired of government ramming and jamming unwanted legislation down YOUR throat?

There's a solution THEY don't want you to know about.

<FHUTA appears on screen>

It's time we demand congress to stop their backdoor politics.

Find out more about FHUTA at NeoGAF.com. The truth may be hard to swallow.

m0dus said:
Sounds like things are starting to come together. Are we doing this in HD? also, who will compile?

I would expect we're doing it in HD, 1920x1080 NTSC 29.97 fps

We can always downscale at a later time if need be.

I don't think we're far enough along to worry about compiling - but surely there are plenty of members with the appropriate setup to do so (I bet you've got a nice editing rig :D )

gillFTR said:
lol get some kevin butler up in here

While he is hilarious, we really can't use his likeness.

We could have a spokesperson similar to Butler, but that reaks of unoriginality and we're trying to stay away from live action.

Filldough

Been trolling this thread for a little while. No concept yet?

I read two things that I thought were funny, someone said something about a nerd screaming about how someone on the internet it wrong. Then someone also suggested Cosplay be involved.

I pictured the gaf screen with someone typing something ridiculous like, "Mortal Combat on the Sega Genesis is the best game ever." (billy madison ripoff, easy to make bold ridiculous statements though like... I dunno, Waterworld is the best movie of all time!)

Show someone at their desk flipping out. WHAT!?!?!!! (preferably cosplayed out or maybe if ripping the billy madison line you could just put Donkey Kong at a computer flipping out)

Have mom call from the other room, "Dinner is ready!"

Responds, "JUST A MINUTE! SOMEONE ON THE INTERNET IS WRONG!!"

Furious typing

Gaf logo

Don't know what kind of length is needed or if there is a solid direction even. But seems like this could be easy enough in Flash or live action even (though I completely understand wanting to avoid live action)

Thread seems to be slowing down so I thought I'd contribute. Would be ridiculously awesome for this project to actually come to fruition.

Filldough said:
Been trolling this thread for a little while. No concept yet?

I read two things that I thought were funny, someone said something about a nerd screaming about how someone on the internet it wrong. Then someone also suggested Cosplay be involved.

I pictured the gaf screen with someone typing something ridiculous like, "Mortal Combat on the Sega Genesis is the best game ever." (billy madison ripoff, easy to make bold ridiculous statements though like... I dunno, Waterworld is the best movie of all time!)

Show someone at their desk flipping out. WHAT!?!?!!! (preferably cosplayed out or maybe if ripping the billy madison line you could just put Donkey Kong at a computer flipping out)

Have mom call from the other room, "Dinner is ready!"

Responds, "JUST A MINUTE! SOMEONE ON THE INTERNET IS WRONG!!"

Furious typing

Gaf logo

Don't know what kind of length is needed or if there is a solid direction even. But seems like this could be easy enough in Flash or live action even (though I completely understand wanting to avoid live action)

Thread seems to be slowing down so I thought I'd contribute. Would be ridiculously awesome for this project to actually come to fruition.

awesome idea, and definitely funny but

-its from an XKCD comic and we probably don't want to borrow so blatantly
-still trying to stay away from live action as per the above discussion

Filldough

anonymousAversa said:
awesome idea, and definitely funny but

-its from an XKCD comic and we probably don't want to borrow so blatantly
-still trying to stay away from live action as per the above discussion

Ah, I didnt realize someone had lifted that idea! Though I was well aware of my ripping off of Billy Madison but I figured pop culture references are ok. I figured it could be done via flash animation or something but yeah, just trying to contribute :) I want gaf to take over the interwebs and television. I suppose it wont happen until we can breed gaf with the hypnotoad though :(

impirius

Metiphis said:
I think it should be an ad about how the Africanized Killer Bees are moving further North each year! Complete with maps containing red areas spreading over the world in a number of weeks.

Then the NeoGAF symbol.
Why is this not on Fox News yet?

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I just want to be sure if a consensus has been reached
I;m having trouble making sense of this thread for some reason...
"Do You Believe"
is the what its gonna be right?

I liked the idea of maybe a quick scroll of "GAF famous" usernames people were throwing around.
Maybe refer to it as a "coalition of the willing"?

I also like the bees idea.

I was also thinking "Come sip your favorite tea with all your imaginary friends!"

I just feel like there is a lot of noise in the thread. Maybe I'm just tired.

Shanadeus

Banned
Staccat0 said:
I just want to be sure if a consensus has been reached
I;m having trouble making sense of this thread for some reason...
"Do You Believe"
is the what its gonna be right?

I liked the idea of maybe a quick scroll of "GAF famous" usernames people were throwing around.
Maybe refer to it as a "coalition of the willing"?

I also like the bees idea.

I was also thinking "Come sip your favorite tea with all your imaginary friends!"

I just feel like there is a lot of noise in the thread. Maybe I'm just tired.
You're right, there is a lot of noise in this thread and without a lack of direction or authority we're pretty much still in the idea stage.
Not that that's anything bad or so, but we need to compile everything together into something doable and fun and start working on it more focused.
I'm kinda busy with life at the moment so I can't do much more, but I will once that changes.

Shanadeus said:
You're right, there is a lot of noise in this thread and without a lack of direction or authority we're pretty much still in the idea stage.
Not that that's anything bad or so, but we need to compile everything together into something doable and fun and start working on it more focused.
I'm kinda busy with life at the moment so I can't do much more, but I will once that changes.

Yup, same here.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
It should be something very simple for sure.

Maybe the NEOGAF sign with a countdown to E3 (the biggest moment of Neogaf for me and I'm sure many) with the sound of a ticking bomb.

and then "Believe" pops up.

Followed by Neogaf.com

And then that gif of the bullet bill crashing onto a city with the huge explosion.

The End.

Shanadeus

Banned
Mr. E. Yis said:
Really, any groups or ideas can NOT take shape without EviLore's input, so the waiting game will continue.
Pretty much, though if I wasn't busy with the age-thread I'd start developing the current ideas into something more tangible and hope EviLore would give his okay.
And I really think other people should as well, if they can accept that their work might not end up as the final ad.

Mudkips

Banned
Snuggler said:
It should be nothing but complete silence and a still image of the NeoGAF logo for 30 seconds.

This is pretty much the only thing in this thread that isn't stupid.
A lot of you guys have really bad ideas.

Haunted

Snuggler said:
It should be nothing but complete silence and a still image of the NeoGAF logo for 30 seconds.
hypnotoad.gif

Snuggler said:

Yes awesome. Something like this:

rlb60o.gif

The only sounds being screams when the respective pictures show up.

Mr. E. Yis said:
Yes awesome. Something like this:

http://i44.tinypic.com/rlb60o.gif[/IMG]

The only sounds being screams when the respective pictures show up.

As far as I know it's not allowed to air something like that on TV since the 60s or 70s.

If you guys want to make this ad effective, (don't know if that's the goal) then we gotta be careful of the in-jokes and memes that people simply won't get.

If we're shelling out a thousand dollars for this, it might as well actually bring in people we want.

Otherwise, if we're just doing this for an epic awesome fun, go wild. :)

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
radiantdreamer said:
If you guys want to make this ad effective, (don't know if that's the goal) then we gotta be careful of the in-jokes and memes that people simply won't get.

If we're shelling out a thousand dollars for this, it might as well actually bring in people we want.

Otherwise, if we're just doing this for an epic awesome fun, go wild. :)
Why can't people just read the thread, or parts of it, before posting? We're not looking to bring people in, that would be ridiculous.

Shanadeus

Banned
KimiSan said:
Why can't people just read the thread, or parts of it, before posting? We're not looking to bring people in, that would be ridiculous.
Time for a summary:

What Evilore has said so far said:
Lol mang. Regardless of the contents of the advertisement, this is not meant to be a serious way to attract visitors to the forum. I've never advertised NeoGAF before, for good reason: the site is constantly growing on its own, and moderate, steady growth is the best way to keep the site healthy and sustainable financially.

Did you watch the video in the OP? They got 1300 visits for like $1000, that's an incredibly bad value for advertising an internet forum. It's not about silly things like driving traffic. It's about doing something totally badass.

Yes, you get it. Really, guys, it's best to drop the *entire* aspect of maximizing the amount of people who respond to the ad or anything along those lines. I don't give a shit about how many visits we get from this. I'm fine with zero. All I care about is getting a fun and memorable experience out of the project, so we can look back and go, "yeah, we put this on a national television network, and it was fuckin' glorious."

Working with that "do you believe" concept is fine, or something else along those lines. It's the visual component I'm concerned about. M0dus has the NeoGAF graphics covered, but we're going to need the elements leading up to that. Stock footage related to the script of the voice-over could work, probably, unless we have someone capable of making something in flash. I'm intentionally trying to stay away from live action for this, since it complicates matters heavily and has the highest chance of turning out shitty.

I uhhh kinda want to do a voice over though

Entirely minimalist like that sort of sucks the fun out of the project, *shrug*

Keep throwing out ideas for the time being, and we'll figure out the direction to go in. But no copyrighted material, and try to stay realistic. Like I said, something flash-based with a voice-over is highly doable.

We have a few different directions we can go in. The main thing we absolutely shouldn't do is go with stupid internet meme shit. This is the sort of project that, if done right, could be memorable and classic. So we should be able to look at it on youtube in a few years and get a big smile, not roll our eyes at whatever stupid played out meme was on display.

So:

A) Subtle satire @ the Fox News audience

or

B) Playing it relatively straight, like something similar to my little audio clip.

What he has recorded so far:
http://www.abjecthubris.com/believe.mp3
http://www.abjecthubris.com/neogafadtest.mp3

Some ideas that's been made:

fanboi said:
Natalie Portman! Do a search of ITT: Something I've been working on the past few weeks. @ google.

ATF487 said:
I was thinking of a Cheers parody, maybe set in the GAF bar in NYC, with the logo and 'Believe.' on a black screen at the end.

edit: evilore says no live action, but i'd say pitching a communal atmosphere, animated or live > any lame attempts at humor

timetokill said:
I think keeping it simple, maybe text-based with voice-over, would be really great. I'm thinking something like "Ask NeoGAF".... a series of questions, with EviLore answering them as the "voice of GAF" in the commercial. The questions would be asked by various members on the forum (contributing their voice.. easy enough to record yourself and send the audio file to the people making the video).

Q. Hey GAF, there's this girl I'm really into, but I don't know how to tell her. What should I do?

A. The surest way to a girl's heart is by writing her an epic crown of sonnets.

Q. GAF, my cat just got injured outside and is bleeding. What do I do??

A. Take a slice of pizza, and feed half of it to the cat, and apply the other half directly to the wound.

Shanadeus said:
They're up on youtube now in case anyone want to edit and improve upon them, or add in new ideas. We're still in the idea stage I reckon so the more example ads people can create the better, then Evilore should probably decide what direction it'll go.

Part 1 on youtube

Part 2 on youtube

Parts 1&2 - 55 seconds but I see plenty of parts that can be improved and shortened.

BELIEVE GAF!

Shanadeus said:
Which is why we need some input from Evilore, I think you could reduce it to 30 seconds but then you'd have to shorten the first part quite a bit and change it around. Like having a continuous monologue instead of breaking it up in bits like I have now.

"You believe in your country, in freedom and the pursuit of happyness" [Whilst showing images of the american flag, statue of liberty and a smiling happy family] - 8-10 seconds
[Sreen goes black and the following is shown on screen and said simultaniously]
"But do you believe in... neogaf?"
[Everything you said regarding the second part] - 15 seconds
"NEOGAF" [Appearing underneath the logo that's just closed up] - 3 seconds
"BELIEVE [Replacing the logo and text and being whispered like in the second part I made] - 2 seconds

msv said:
Also, perhaps we can do a subtle overlay of dramatic readings of ridiculous posts when the tension rises. Together with the pics. Animate the contents of those posts maybe, would be a good way to convey everything without having to use copyrighted stuff.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Mudkips said:
This is pretty much the only thing in this thread that isn't stupid.
A lot of you guys have really bad ideas.

:(

I thought my idea was pretty good actually....

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
To elaborate on my previous idea, I think it should just start with a completely white screen.
Then the Neogaf logo moves in, kind of like how the LOST intro goes. After like 15 seconds or so when the logo is in place then the "believe" motto fades in and as it happens a voice quietly whispers "....believe". It shows that for like 5 seconds or whatever and the end. It would be kind of creepy and ominous in a cool way.
We shouldn't have a clever critique of Fox News or do some inside joke from here on TV, we don't need to make it complicated.
This will never happen if we keep getting bogged down with all these different ideas for clever or comical spots, if we're actually gonna do this we should just keep it simple. It wouldn't be a historic moment for GAF because we made a funny joke or a clever jab, it would be historic because we were on fucking NATIONAL TELEVISION for 30 seconds.

Skiesofwonder said:
:(

I thought my idea was pretty good actually....

Eh, ignore him. It's a brainstorm thread, and one of the rules of brainstorming is to not call other ideas "stupid" or "bad" but instead to offer constructive criticism or suggest ideas you prefer yourself.

Mato

Why are we to help exactly? Is evilore going to share his forum profits with the users if we do?

Firestorm

Mato said:
Why are we to help exactly? Is evilore going to share his forum profits with the users if we do?
You can have 100% of the return he gets on this investment.

Read the goddamn thread.

How about people reading through some of GAFs legendary threads. GAF has enough of those to make a few commercial spots. Cramming it into 30 seconds might be tough though.

Jewbacca

Banned
I can make a video of myself hip thrusting my crotch back and forth then catching my junk between my legs. Then I hop 180 degrees and reveal my nuts and dick under my ass with neogaf.com fading in while i give two reverse thumbs ups.

Jme

Jewbacca said:
I can make a video of myself hip thrusting my crotch back and forth then catching my junk between my legs. Then I hop 180 degrees and reveal my nuts and dick under my ass with neogaf.com fading in while i give two reverse thumbs ups.

A fruitbowl? Somehow I don't see it making past the FCC.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I still vote for the meme idea that I saw.

at least have it end with a picture of a plane taking off, then the neogaf logo, then "believe."

Xapati

Jamesfrom818 said:
How about people reading through some of GAFs legendary threads. GAF has enough of those to make a few commercial spots. Cramming it into 30 seconds might be tough though.

Would that not raise legal issues though? I imagine you could get sued by the person you are quoting for steeling his material for advertising purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom