• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So let's make a NeoGAF national television ad and put it on Fox News

Status
Not open for further replies.
pirata said:
You know, it would be pretty funny if we concentrated all of our resources on one really small area. Like, a single city, or a college town. Run a really intense campaign (it would be even funnier if the ad was tailor-made for that area...we could even do some internet detective work on some of the people who live there and make the ad call them out: "Brad, your girlfriend Jenna is pretty lame. You should dump her, hit on that hot girl Hanna in your apartment complex, and log onto NeoGAF.com for tips on where you should or should not stick it!")

I love this. :lol

If you need some flash character stuff, either along the line of cutout animation (like the old 2004 election John Kerry skit), or more caricature/semi-realistic drawn cartoon stuff, I, along with any other NeoGAF Flash people who have some time to help, can get it done quickly. Just let me know the characters (Sarah Palin, etc), and story, etc and I can get started. :D

Shanadeus

Banned
Damn I got fooled by Drinky Crow, so he just has a banned tag?
That's an awesome tag D:

Yes, you get it. Really, guys, it's best to drop the *entire* aspect of maximizing the amount of people who respond to the ad or anything along those lines. I don't give a shit about how many visits we get from this. I'm fine with zero. All I care about is getting a fun and memorable experience out of the project, so we can look back and go, "yeah, we put this on a national television network, and it was fuckin' glorious."

Working with that "do you believe" concept is fine, or something else along those lines. It's the visual component I'm concerned about. M0dus has the NeoGAF graphics covered, but we're going to need the elements leading up to that. Stock footage related to the script of the voice-over could work, probably, unless we have someone capable of making something in flash. I'm intentionally trying to stay away from live action for this, since it complicates matters heavily and has the highest chance of turning out shitty.

I am fairly sure we can get stock clips of the various "USA" symbols for the first part of your monologue if we're going with the "Do you believe"-idea, but to be honest I'm kinda stumped at what exactly the second part will consist of. We need some sort of neat transitioning between various images and clips that I assume will be NeoGAF thread titles and posts; perhaps through the use of flash or something.

I'm such an ad would be glorious and clever but I have minor doubts and am wondering if one should just remove the parody part of it to; turning it more into the very first clip you recorded with pictures and animations kinda supplementing your monologue with visual messages.

Shanadeus said:
Damn I got fooled by Drinky Crow, so he just has a banned tag?
That's an awesome tag D:

I am fairly sure we can get stock clips of the various "USA" symbols for the first part of your monologue if we're going with the "Do you believe"-idea, but to be honest I'm kinda stumped at what exactly the second part will consist of. We need some sort of neat transitioning between various images and clips that I assume will be NeoGAF thread titles and posts; perhaps through the use of flash or something.

I'm such an ad would be glorious and clever but I have minor doubts and am wondering if one should just remove the parody part of it to; turning it more into the very first clip you recorded with pictures and animations kinda supplementing your monologue with visual messages.

Some good points here. We need to decide if we want to make a parody everyone will understand and find humorous, or something that will have more of a niche gamer appeal.

So my question...
I know it's for FOX, but shouldn't games, gamers and FUN be united?!
When I saw the first prototype, I saw the USA flag... It's pretty, and represents A LOT for North Americans... But me, seeing a Portuguese flag or an European flag means more.
So, my point is this: we have to achieve a global (or kind of) consensus for the icons being shown to demonstrate our passion for games, geekness, or something else that we make in our forums! :D

If you really want to put it on FOX NEWS, maybe you might want to focus on how the forum is seen as a group of experts but then pull a Cartman and say "You can't come!" because the average FOX NEWS watcher isn't smart enough :lol (Then going on to challenge the viewer to test their worthiness by trying to register for membership)

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Willy Wanka said:
Just have a couple of guys, controllers in hand, shouting random, unintelligible nonsense at each other for 10 seconds then a voice over saying "NeoGAF.com - Where gamers go for reasoned debate".

Then maybe cut to them hugging and crying or holding hands at the end.

Better yet, why not just use your avatar but remade in HD?

This is awesome :D A GAF commercial! I agree with EviLore, it's probably best to avoid live-action video if we can help it.

I think keeping it simple, maybe text-based with voice-over, would be really great. I'm thinking something like "Ask NeoGAF".... a series of questions, with EviLore answering them as the "voice of GAF" in the commercial. The questions would be asked by various members on the forum (contributing their voice.. easy enough to record yourself and send the audio file to the people making the video).

Q. Hey GAF, there's this girl I'm really into, but I don't know how to tell her. What should I do?

A. The surest way to a girl's heart is by writing her an epic crown of sonnets.

Q. GAF, my cat just got injured outside and is bleeding. What do I do??

A. Take a slice of pizza, and feed half of it to the cat, and apply the other half directly to the wound.

... etc.

Alternatively, we could go with the same text-based approach and have a bunch of ridiculous things flying into the background. The phrases would be ridiculous things that people hold out hope for but will never happen, befitting the "BELIEVE" slogan :p Stuff like "Shenmue 3 is coming soon!" and "Dreamcast 2, 1/1/11, it's true!", all of them having a moment of focus near the screen and then flying into the background. It gets more and more intense with light, until finally the NeoGAF logo shows up, with "BELIEVE" underneath.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
anonymousAversa said:
Some good points here. We need to decide if we want to make a parody everyone will understand and find humorous, or something that will have more of a niche gamer appeal.

If this ad turns out sufficiently awesome/badass then I'd expect it to acquire a good old following on youtube or wherever.

So I'd suggest (humbly) that parody probably isn't the way to go - being as it most likely to be understood only by Americans. Probably just plain awesome is best.

Firestorm

Anybody have Tea Party footage?

Hyperbole
[footage]
Exaggeration
[footage]
Hypocrisy
[footage]
Rage
[footage]
Blind Loyalty
[footage]

NeoGAF
BELIEVE

First saw this when the thread was created.

So basically the last 10 pages have gone nowhere? Still looking for ideas? For shame, GAF, for shame. I expected more.

I am not creative in the slightest so I will stand on the sidelines and look down on the rest of people for not doing better.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
EviLore said:
Working with that "do you believe" concept is fine, or something else along those lines. It's the visual component I'm concerned about. M0dus has the NeoGAF graphics covered, but we're going to need the elements leading up to that. Stock footage related to the script of the voice-over could work, probably, unless we have someone capable of making something in flash. I'm intentionally trying to stay away from live action for this, since it complicates matters heavily and has the highest chance of turning out shitty.

Never fails.

I take it you don't read your PM's much, eh?
I make commercials for a living, I'm willing to help with the production of this. Let's get this thing moving.

Fatalah

DrEvil said:
I make commercials for a living, I'm willing to help with the production of this. Let's get this thing moving.

Awesome! We're lucky to have you. Let's get DrEvil everything he needs! Move move move!

Shanadeus

Banned
TheLegendary said:
First saw this when the thread was created.

So basically the last 10 pages have gone nowhere? Still looking for ideas? For shame, GAF, for shame. I expected more.

I am not creative in the slightest so I will stand on the sidelines and look down on the rest of people for not doing better.
Well it's not like the ideas we have aren't that bad, either going the parody route or by doing something like this:
I think keeping it simple, maybe text-based with voice-over, would be really great. I'm thinking something like "Ask NeoGAF".... a series of questions, with EviLore answering them as the "voice of GAF" in the commercial. The questions would be asked by various members on the forum (contributing their voice.. easy enough to record yourself and send the audio file to the people making the video).

Q. Hey GAF, there's this girl I'm really into, but I don't know how to tell her. What should I do?

A. Take a slice of pizza, and feed half of it to the cat, and apply the other half directly to the wound.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well it's not like the ideas we have aren't that bad, either going the parody route or by doing something like this:
That would definitely be fun. Bringing medical GAF into it somehow would be perfect. :D

Alright, we're getting there,

so far I think we've agreed

-No live action

-Not trying to get hits or attract members, just pure gloriousness.

-EvilLore voiceover

-Ridiculous graphics/text/footage

-"Believe" connection

-m0dus graphics ending

we have all the parts, just need to flesh them out. I'm getting pumped!

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Funky Functionality said:
Do we have any sort of donation account/paypal set up? I imagine $3-5 from everyone would buy the piece some great airtime.

No way. The only thing I would consider paying for is if Evilore actually implemented the fabled GAF Gold account. I would pay 10 - 20 bucks a year to be able to search my posts, search the site, and generally do everything else I could before the massive influx of new users.

Maybe that is what we should gear the commercial to NEOGAF gold. Yea, I like that.

Edit: I was going to create a thread asking GAF the same question about participation in a NEOGAF gold program. However, I don't have time to get a banner together for the OP as I envisioned it.

msv

DrEvil said:
Oh shit. Are you the guy that made that awesome commercial of his wife putting on lipstick??

anonymousAversa said:

-No live action

-EvilLore voiceover

-"Believe" connection

-m0dus graphics ending

That pretty much sums it up from what I can tell. I

I came up with an idea from school. If the GAF logo that modus made is animated we could kind do something like from the gow 3 intro. While the logo is coming into sight and forming up there could be this deep drum and when the logo finally forms a bell plays at the closing. Just an idea. From what it take though you guys are trying to make this comedic. Probably a bad idea.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
If you guys are gonna troll in a commercial, you gotta make it funny/creative/stealth, or don't even bother at all.

Nobody likes an unfunny troll on the internet - it's the same for real life, too.

Dogenzaka

Banned
ATF487 said:
I was thinking of a Cheers parody, maybe set in the GAF bar in NYC, with the logo and 'Believe.' on a black screen at the end.

edit: evilore says no live action, but i'd say pitching a communal atmosphere, animated or live > any lame attempts at humor

You wanna go where everybody knows your name!

Metiphis

I think it should be an ad about how the Africanized Killer Bees are moving further North each year! Complete with maps containing red areas spreading over the world in a number of weeks.

Then the NeoGAF symbol.

It would be cool to have a spot acting as if gaf is a freepers like forum, and have a soothing female va read some of the more ridiculous parody posts from poligaf. (or just read a drakesfortune post)

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
there should definitely be a joke about bannings

Also, if it helps I happen to know a guy who works for a very famous voice over studio. They do free independent/small projects shit all the time.

I'd name drop him now, but I'd want to approach the guy first because I think he might frequent GAF. I'll PM the boss Evilore and let him know and we can take it from there if he thinks its worth the trouble.

fanboi

Banned
Can't we just make.

Hey!

Natalie Portman! Do a search of ITT: Something I've been working on the past few weeks. @ google.

Shanadeus

Banned
anonymousAversa said:

-No live action

-EvilLore voiceover

-"Believe" connection

-m0dus graphics ending

Now the fleshing out part might be a problem, the thread is almost dead D:
I'll try to gather together everything that fits the above ideas:

fanboi said:
Natalie Portman! Do a search of ITT: Something I've been working on the past few weeks. @ google.

ATF487 said:
I was thinking of a Cheers parody, maybe set in the GAF bar in NYC, with the logo and 'Believe.' on a black screen at the end.

edit: evilore says no live action, but i'd say pitching a communal atmosphere, animated or live > any lame attempts at humor

timetokill said:

Shanadeus said:
They're up on youtube now in case anyone want to edit and improve upon them, or add in new ideas. We're still in the idea stage I reckon so the more example ads people can create the better, then Evilore should probably decide what direction it'll go.

Part 1 on youtube

Part 2 on youtube

Parts 1&2 - 55 seconds but I see plenty of parts that can be improved and shortened.

BELIEVE GAF!

Shanadeus said:
Which is why we need some input from Evilore, I think you could reduce it to 30 seconds but then you'd have to shorten the first part quite a bit and change it around. Like having a continuous monologue instead of breaking it up in bits like I have now.

"You believe in your country, in freedom and the pursuit of happyness" [Whilst showing images of the american flag, statue of liberty and a smiling happy family] - 8-10 seconds
[Sreen goes black and the following is shown on screen and said simultaniously]
"But do you believe in... neogaf?"
[Everything you said regarding the second part] - 15 seconds
"NEOGAF" [Appearing underneath the logo that's just closed up] - 3 seconds
"BELIEVE [Replacing the logo and text and being whispered like in the second part I made] - 2 seconds

msv said:
Also, perhaps we can do a subtle overlay of dramatic readings of ridiculous posts when the tension rises. Together with the pics. Animate the contents of those posts maybe, would be a good way to convey everything without having to use copyrighted stuff.

I'm gonna try to fuse together these ideas into something that is awesome, fun to make and will engage everyone wanting to be a part of the project.

Sealda

Banned
How about like a really good ad, like with Chris Cornell and Will Ferrell and Will Ferrell does a dance on a table at the same time Chris Cornell plays Black Hole Sun on guitar. Then like the screen fades and it says "Neon-its neon-nanometre its gaffy gaffy gaffy! Is Gaffy!"

Or something like this with Will Ferrell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8vvTn69aJY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom