• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So... Marvel Just SDCC

JimiNutz

Banned
Blade better by bloody and violent.

Hurry up with Spider-Man 3 as well please.

Edit: I hope they do Taskmaster right as well!

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
Ali as Blade is a fantastic choice. He wont have Snipe's physicality but he's going to kill it otherwise.
Ive noticed him in true detective season 3 for the first time and he is extremely talented. I hope to see him in much more series/movies from now on.

Arozay

Only really interested in Thor, Strange and Blade (will see them all eventually though).

Mahershala Ali was awesome in Luke Cage, so hopefully he kills it as Blade. A lot of cheesy nostalgia to compete with though.

xrnzaaas

I'm already sick of the new Thor just after reading its title. ;)

Blade is a big question mark, the actor was decent in Predators, don't remember him from any other purely action films. Also he doesn't look menacing like Wesley Snipes did. Of course Snipes wasn't going to come back to make a MCU film, but imo they should've picked someone else. Maybe the trailer will change my mind.

Last edited:

Turnt

Not one female Indian lead...typical racist Hollywood movies.
Any why is Blade not replaced with a Chinese woman and how the hell did they not replace Mandarin with Scarlett Johnson - a role ideal for her.

#BoycottMarvel

D_9uWIXXYAABOjp

II_JumPeR_I

Really getting kinda tired from super hero movies...
How many more times will earth be saved etc..

Endgame was nice but its enough already

Only a bit interested in Blade

GV82

Really getting kinda tired from super hero movies...
How many more times will earth be saved etc..

Endgame was nice but its enough already

Only a bit interested in Blade

Well I read this comment a lot and it’s the same when I read Comics in my teens there was like probably what a couple of hundred titles ongoing monthly and some weekly that they were impossible to keep up with some really silly ones especially in the 90’s

I’m talking All Marvel, All DC, All Image, Darkhorse, 2000ad (Weekly Dredd Comic other stories featured a super hero sometimes ), IDW, Valiant, All the independets & all the rest.

This has been ongoing nonstop since what the 1920’s as far as superheroes are concerned and still ongoing to this day though some titles seem to be fizzling out a bit. With the movies there doesn’t seem to be any ending to them, most of them are just getting started too, maybe they’ll last 40-80years who knows?

So you either have to pick and chose which series your going to stick with like what people started to do with comics or what some people did was walk away altogether or maybe you could follow Comic properties that are different not such as Dredd,, The Boyz (has super hero’s but follows the anti hero team) and they are going to make Sandman etc, but these are all TV shows

Kagey K

Banned
I like the books, I kind of like some of the movies.

But wether you like or hate them, some of these movies are cultural touchstones for a generation. They will be showing thier kids Infinity War and Endgame as a point of Nostalgia when they hit their 40s.

So, it’s natural that people would include their opinions in a thread dedicated to it.

Last edited:

Panda1

Banned
I like the books, I kind of like some of the movies.

But wether you like or hate them, some of these movies are cultural touchstones for a generation. They will be showing thier kids Infinity War and Endgame as a point of Nostalgia when they hit their 40s.

So, it’s natural that people would include their opinions in a thread dedicated to it.

Not quite, they are aimed at 5 to 12 year old kids to sell toys, nothing more nothing else.
Except for maybe 3 of the movies they are all forgettable and bubblegum movies to take the kids to.

Kagey K

Banned
Not quite, they are aimed at 5 to 12 year old kids to sell toys, nothing more nothing else.
Except for maybe 3 of the movies they are all forgettable and bubblegum movies to take the kids to.
Much like most of the movies I watched as a kid.

Now that my son has taken some interest we recently watched Bill and Ted, Gremlins, Goonies, ET.

Infinity War and Endgame are going to fit that bill, when these kids become parents and thier kid becomes interested in what they liked as a kid.

I'll probably check out the Dr Strange one to see what the MCU take on "horror" is.

But I can't say I'm interested in any of the other titles.

mcz117chief

Oh my Lord Blade is finally back 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍¡!¡!¡!¡! Maximum hype!!!!!!!!!!111!1!1!11!one

edit: I hope it ain't some PG13 bullshit but a proper gore fest one would expect. I want the dirty, bloody look of the originals, pls :) I want Blade to slaughter vampires by the billions, with blood and gore flyin' everywhere!

Last edited:

Boss Mog

I was down for more Waititi Thor, since Ragnarok was pretty awesome but looks like sadly Thor will probably just be holding female Thor's and Valkyrie's purses the whole movie. We'll see though. If Korg is in it prominently though, it'll be hard to skip. What about Guardians of the Galaxy 3? Is that going to come out before or after? Thor looked as if he was joining them at the end of Endgame. I would be pretty disappointed if Thor wasn't in GotG3.

I just have this bad feeling Marvel is going to go too woke will all these movies. I won't pay money to get preeched down to and force fed propaganda that's for sure.

sol_bad

Oh my Lord Blade is finally back 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍¡!¡!¡!¡! Maximum hype!!!!!!!!!!111!1!1!11!one

edit: I hope it ain't some PG13 bullshit but a proper gore fest one would expect. I want the dirty, bloody look of the originals, pls :) I want Blade to slaughter vampires by the billions, with blood and gore flyin' everywhere!

It'll be PG13.

JimiNutz

Banned
Thor is the only interest I have left in Marvel

He probably won't be fat in the next one I'm afraid.

Oh my Lord Blade is finally back
😍
😍
😍
😍
😍
😍
😍
¡!¡!¡!¡! Maximum hype!!!!!!!!!!111!1!1!11!one

edit: I hope it ain't some PG13 bullshit but a proper gore fest one would expect. I want the dirty, bloody look of the originals, pls I want Blade to slaughter vampires by the billions, with blood and gore flyin' everywhere!

I want this too but it's not gonna happen.
Best we can hope for is maybe an 'uncut' home release I fear.

Last edited:

Falcs

Banned
So are these all going to be full of more woke bullshit?

Like the way that everything else in Hollywood seems to be heading?

Last edited:

pel1300

If that's a negative comment, sorry brah, in 2007 Iron Man, Thor, Hulk and Cap America were all C tier. Look where they are now.
But Cap, Thor, and Hulk were established iconic characters to casuals - even if they didn't read the comics or watch the cartoons. Captain America was an American symbol. The Hulk 70s tv show was a huge hit back in the day, even internationally. They were very recognizable figures. Even Iron Man was pretty recognizable to casuals. Black Widow and Hawkeye were the odd ones out that casuals were unfamiliar with.

Doom85

Why are people asking for Spidey 3 already, the 2nd one is literally still in theaters. Like, Christ, let the creative team breathe for a second. It's like Daniel Craig feeling slightly agitated because after a 9-month shoot on Spectre and within 2 days people are all, "so when's the next one?"

As for the line-up:

-Black Widow, was more interested in this happening while she was alive and could go around owning the shit out of HYDRA members in hiding. Not interested as much in a prequel of someone whose story is already set
-Eternals, heard good things about the comics, so sure
-Shang-Chi, sounds cool
-Doctor Strange going more horror, sounds sweet. But weird that Mordo's actor isn't apparently confirmed to return given how the last one ended
-Thor, I liked 3 but hopefully they'll time the comedy better this time. Also, don't know why people act like Portman is a bad actress (all the bad acting in the SW prequels was clearly Lucas' fault)
-Blade, I feel Snipes is what made the character work but Mahershala Ali is a solid actor so maybe he'll pull it off
-down for FF and especially Doom finally being done right. Honestly,, I'll see a new X-men sure but wouldn't mind a break, I'd rather see X-Force and Deadpool 3 first

-Falcon/Bucky, Hawkeye, really wish these were movies instead. I want to see the characters' stories continue in the films not the shows which always feel kinda separate despite technically being in the continuity
-WandaVision, I like both by themselves but honestly their romance never clicked with me so don't know how good this will be
-Loki, I don't give a shit about alternate-timeline versions of the characters in cases like this, I was following Loki already and his story ended, if you want it to continue then just rez the original. Same thing with the "2014 Gamora", that's not the same person as the Gamora of the GOTG films, and if she's just folded into the team in 3 (and worse, if Peter actually falls for her, blech) it'll feel super icky and disrespectful to the original Gamora. Seeing as Adam Warlock can bring people back from the dead, I'm hoping that's what he'll do with Gamora in GPTG 3. I wouldn't reverse any of the other permanent deaths in IW/Endgame, but spending two Guardians movies building this crew up as a family and having her die with none of them being there with her in her final moments just made it feel less emotional and more like, "oh, well I guess that happened". Like, maybe if they had let the whole team reflect on it, but Peter only gets a scene to react to it and then Rocket and Nebula are later focused on grieving all of them despite us knowing the others will return and then there's no time to do much with them in the final act
-WhatIf, I dunno, DC always seemed much better at "Elseworlds" type of one-offs, but we'll see

They need to take a year and not release anything. Then flood a year when people have had a break. There’s a good possibility of burning people out faster now with the extra shows and content.

If they can give a good variety of tone between the movies it may help but I hope by the time X-men comes out people won’t be burnt out as bad.

And I swear to god if they change the X-men name I won’t see it.

Doom85

But Cap, Thor, and Hulk were established iconic characters to casuals - even if they didn't read the comics or watch the cartoons. Captain America was an American symbol. The Hulk 70s tv show was a huge hit back in the day, even internationally. They were very recognizable figures. Even Iron Man was pretty recognizable to casuals. Black Widow and Hawkeye were the odd ones out that casuals were unfamiliar with.

Well, I don't know why the other guy was trying to pretend Cap and the others were barely known, but the success of Guardians of the Galaxy proves you can take a barely-known title and make both magic and box office success with it. Seriously, 10 years ago barely anyone outside of comic readers knew who the hell they were.

sol_bad

Well, I don't know why the other guy was trying to pretend Cap and the others were barely known, but the success of Guardians of the Galaxy proves you can take a barely-known title and make both magic and box office success with it. Seriously, 10 years ago barely anyone outside of comic readers knew who the hell they were.

I'm not pretending. Some people who were my age in 2007 knew the characters, but not everyone. When I say "some", I mean people in geek circles or who saw the cartoons. Everyone else my age had no idea who they were just like they had no idea who Daredevil and Ghost Rider

People older and younger than me, knew about as much of them as they knew GOTG when that was announced. The olders only knew Hulk because of the old show.

JimiNutz

Banned
This is what I’m concerned/curious about. Will MCU do a rated R Blade? If so, will we see a Blade/Deadpool crossover at some point?

I'm hoping that Blade is the start of R Rated Marvel - especially if they are planning to do a Deadpool 3.
I have a funny feeling I'm gonna be disappointed though.

like them or hate them, you have to give it to Marvel. they know how to hype things up and hook you in. leaving it til the end to just mention BP2, GotG3, Cap Mar 2, and just flash Blade like that. and on top of it all just confirm FF out of the blue along with mutants. those magnificence bastards!

I'm definitely in for all the movies, especially Blade and Dr. Strange. would LOVE to know more about FF and all the mutant business too.

quickwhips

Stuff like this is what my problem with movies is. So now it has to be a lgbtq thing? It cant be just a movie? https://io9.gizmodo.com/its-official-valkyrie-will-be-the-mcus-first-lgbtq-her-1836569528?

It could have been just valkyrie will date a chick or something but nope it has to be the first marvel LGBTQ. Great its done lets move on to the story now?

I dont have a problem with gay characters just how they push stuff that doesnt probably have any impact on the story just to be first.

Mihos

Gold Member
man, I need to start getting in better shape so I live long enough to see all these.

I hated the Jane as Thor comics, but Waititi doing it has me hyped.

nocsi

Stuff like this is what my problem with movies is. So now it has to be a lgbtq thing? It cant be just a movie? https://io9.gizmodo.com/its-official-valkyrie-will-be-the-mcus-first-lgbtq-her-1836569528?

It could have been just valkyrie will date a chick or something but nope it has to be the first marvel LGBTQ. Great its done lets move on to the story now?

I dont have a problem with gay characters just how they push stuff that doesnt probably have any impact on the story just to be first.
Gotta get those woke brownie points

man, I need to start getting in better shape so I live long enough to see all these.

I hated the Jane as Thor comics, but Waititi doing it has me hyped.

I’ll spoiler this in case the movies follow the same beat and people don’t want to know, though I don’t think this is really a spoiler.

I felt like there were some powerful moments/imagery in regards to the cancer angle. She was so powerful as Thor and so weakened as Jane

female_thor_3302517b.jpg

I dunno if the movie will go this route tho

Last edited:

Doom85

I’ll spoiler this in case the movies follow the same beat and people don’t want to know, though I don’t think this is really a spoiler.

I felt like there were some powerful moments/imagery in regards to the cancer angle. She was so powerful as Thor and so weakened as Jane

female_thor_3302517b.jpg

I dunno if the movie will go this route tho

Yeah, I should read more of that run, I only read the first trade. I remember liking Malketh in it, he was very intense but also had this dark sense of humor. I mean, IIRC his first words upon meeting female Thor were, "a female Thor? Now what sort of factory would make something like this?" then says a little more softly, "and how would I go about ordering one?"

Like, you cast Christopher fucking Eccleston as this guy and only had ramble on about the darkness like he's a Kingdom Hearts villain and had none of this funny stuff? Shame, Dark World, SHAME.

Top Bottom