• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So... Marvel Just SDCC

How in the world is the DC side more respectable? They are still working their shit out. Wonder Woman was great with a shit ending. Shazam and Aquaman were both good but have tonal problems and no where near the level of Infinity War, Winter Soldier, Far From Home, Endgame, Ragnarok or Civil War.

At least the DC movies feel like they're being done with some level of honesty, there's a soul in them. Jason Momoa and Zachary Levi felt like good choices for their roles and the movies, while not perfect, at least didn't suck monster balls like Captain Marvel or Ragnarok. More than anything, both felt fresh, they felt unique unlike the Marvel movies which feel like you're watching the same shit forever. The last truly good Marvel movie was Guardians 2, everything after it is full on corporation zombie mode, it feels painfully done by a committee to lead suckers into the movies. It's just like the Star Wars movie. Disney is a cancer.

Think about it this way, DC just picked absolutely based Robert Pattinson to play Batman. Marvel thinks Natalie Portman should be Thor. I rest my case.

Last edited:
I'll see ALL of those. And they will be GLORIOUS.

giphy.gif

Generic

I dunno, if they say they intend to keep Deadpool 3 at R, there's no reason to automatically assume Blade will be PG-13.
I don't believe them. There are some rumors about Marvel re-introducing Deadpool in the next Spider Man movie.

Doom85

I don't believe them. There are some rumors about Marvel re-introducing Deadpool in the next Spider Man movie.

Rumors are a dime a dozen. I'm not saying the studios are always legit, but they're more consistent than the endless abyss that is clickbait rando theories and gossip.

At least the DC movies feel like they're being done with some level of honesty, there's a soul in them. Jason Momoa and Zachary Levi felt like good choices for their roles and the movies while not being perfect at least didn't suck monster balls like Captain Marvel or Ragnarok. More than anything, both felt fresh, they felt unique unlike the Marvel movies which feel like you're watching the same shit forever. The last truly good Marvel movie was Guardian 2, everything after it is full on corporation zombie mode, it feels painfully done by a committee to lead suckers into the movies. It's just like the Star Wars movie. Disney is a cancer.

Think about it this way, DC just picked absolutely based Robert Pattinson to play Batman. Marvel thinks Natalie Portman should be Thor. I rest my case.

My issue with DC is I dunno what’s going on with their continuity.

Is the Justice League still a thing? Who is Superman? What’s going on with Superman, in general, in this universe now? Is The Batman it’s own side universe, like Joker? What’s connected, what isn’t? Where is it all going?

I am excited for a Flash movie and Aquaman/Shazam/WW are all good movies that I look forward to sequels of, don’t get me wrong.

Also, in fairness, Lady Thor is pretty relevant from the pretty popular The Mighty Thor run. Portman will need some sort of practical effect to pull off the look as Thor, IMO, but it could work.

gatti-man

Where did I say I was getting upset about "SJW" shit? I said I didn't like that disliking the movies for legitimate reasons got you labeled as racist or sexist.
Literally the only people that think that are a niche group of internet social justice warriors. Relax it’s not that serious. They are comic book movies.

Doom85

Literally the only people that think that are a niche group of internet social justice warriors. Relax it’s not that serious. They are comic book movies.

Not to mention there's another section of the Internet who claim that the only reason people like Black Panther, Captain Marvel, etc. is because they're either black/female/etc. and/or SJW. Which is just as obnoxious as claiming anyone who disliked any of them is racist or sexist.

gatti-man

At least the DC movies feel like they're being done with some level of honesty, there's a soul in them. Jason Momoa and Zachary Levi felt like good choices for their roles and the movies, while not perfect, at least didn't suck monster balls like Captain Marvel or Ragnarok. More than anything, both felt fresh, they felt unique unlike the Marvel movies which feel like you're watching the same shit forever. The last truly good Marvel movie was Guardians 2, everything after it is full on corporation zombie mode, it feels painfully done by a committee to lead suckers into the movies. It's just like the Star Wars movie. Disney is a cancer.

If you didn’t like Ragnarok I feel bad for you son. Pretty much everyone critics and audiences agree that Rag is one of the best marvel movies to date and one of the best movies to come out that year.

cr0w

Old Member

Okay, so why do you still have a problem with me not liking the MCU then for legitimate reasons? You could just as easily fuck right off instead of putting words into my mouth.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Sorry to say, but Aquaman and Shazam! are way more "corporate" than the MCU films. DC were doing their own thing with Man of Steel, and Batman V Superman, they felt like Zack Snyder films..
The corporate bigwigs at the top felt that the dark tone wasn't working and so with Wonder Woman onward they started injecting humor to be more like the MCU films. The humor is entirely forced in Aquaman and most jokes don't land. Shazam! stepped it up with the jokes because it was actually funny. DC is literally run by Warner corporate and they even keep interfering with the production of their own films.

The MCU is run by people who are absolutely passionate about Marvel comics. Previously corporate interfered with Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World and Age of Ultron but phase 3 has not had corporate interference.
Ant-Man + Ant-man and the Wasp feel like a Peyton Reed film.
Winter Soldier, Civil War, Infinity War and Endgame all feel like Russo Bros films.
GotG 1 and 2 feel like James Gun films but less vulgar and "more mature".
Ragnarok feels like a Taika Waititi film.
Black Panther feels like a Ryan Coogler film.
The films are made by the creatives, Kein Feige lets them breath.

Generic

Sorry but Infinity War + Endgame already gave us the most epic story. I can't muster the hype for future MCU films.

It doesn't help that the final act of Endgame showed me hints of: 'Hey, the future of this franchise is not for you"
I realized this after watching The Incredibles 2. It isn't just the MCU, but almost every franchise.

Case in point:

D_-hThrW4AEsuwl

This isn't the cast I would expect for a sci-fi space epic (The Eternals)

Flintty

I’m thinking Thor 4 and/or Strange 2 might be fake titles, like they did with Civil War. They seem too out there, well Love and Thunder does at least.

Doom85

I realized this after watching The Incredibles 2. It isn't just the MCU, but almost every franchise.

Case in point:

D_-hThrW4AEsuwl

Alright, I guess that's just your way of looking at it, because I wouldn't look at any actor or actress and think, "why are they in a sci-fi epic?", it's not a genre that exactly demands specific types of actors and actresses (and really, the only genre that would do that that I can think of historical). If it's a sci-fi military story, then sure the kid is out of place, but beyond that I don't see why any of this cast don't fit with the genre.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

Case in point:

D_-hThrW4AEsuwl

Because this guy
Chris-Pratt-transformation-09.jpg

certainly looks like he would fit in a sci-fi... What the fuck are you even saying? How can you even imagine an actor being able to play or not in a sci-fi? Are you some kind of inhuman? Because it is impossible to factually state "x actor does not fit in a sci-fi". Stop being ridiculous.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Case in point:

D_-hThrW4AEsuwl

Looks legit to me.

What you didn't know is the movie's full name: The Eternals: United Nations Risk Averse Diversity Edition

Although their mix is still off. There's 4 males to 3 females, and I don't see anyone in a wheelchair or missing a limb.

Generic

Alright, I guess that's just your way of looking at it, because I wouldn't look at any actor or actress and think, "why are they in a sci-fi epic?", it's not a genre that exactly demands specific types of actors and actresses (and really, the only genre that would do that that I can think of historical). If it's a sci-fi military story, then sure the kid is out of place, but beyond that I don't see why any of this cast don't fit with the genre.
It looks like the cast of a sitcom. Or those cheap CW superhero shows. Compare to the cast of the first Avatar, for example.

The movie market is now designed around millennials' sensibilities.

Because this guy
Chris-Pratt-transformation-09.jpg

certainly looks like he would fit in a sci-fi... What the fuck are you even saying? How can you even imagine an actor being able to play or not in a sci-fi? Are you some kind of inhuman? Because it is impossible to factually state "x actor does not fit in a sci-fi". Stop being ridiculous.
Yes but Guardians is a comedy.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

Case in point:

D_-hThrW4AEsuwl

Lauren Ridloff (the tanned curly haired woman) is deaf. We used to be FB friends but she's not on FB anymore.

Not sure if it’s been discussed but my theory on how Jane gets the hammer. I think it has to do with Cap taking it back to where they borrowed it from. Jane was there and so was the hammer before it was destroyed. Maybe something happened and it split it off to another timeline.

If you didn’t like Ragnarok I feel bad for you son. Pretty much everyone critics and audiences agree that Rag is one of the best marvel movies to date and one of the best movies to come out that year.

It's a comedy movie that isn't funny at all. There isn't even a mildly amusing joke, nothing. It's pure straight shit. You should feel bad for humanity if this is what qualifies as quality entertainment.

I mean, I thought Portman gave an alright performance in Thor 1 and 2, and she did incredible in Black Swan and Annihilation. But you do you.

She's a great actress, but she's a terrible fit for the role. If you're at peace with yourself thinking that she looks like a nordic god-like figure then more power to you I guess. They should have put Idris Elba for the role, he's also already in the universe and shit.

My issue with DC is I dunno what’s going on with their continuity.

Is the Justice League still a thing? Who is Superman? What’s going on with Superman, in general, in this universe now? Is The Batman it’s own side universe, like Joker? What’s connected, what isn’t? Where is it all going?

I am excited for a Flash movie and Aquaman/Shazam/WW are all good movies that I look forward to sequels of, don’t get me wrong.

Also, in fairness, Lady Thor is pretty relevant from the pretty popular The Mighty Thor run. Portman will need some sort of practical effect to pull off the look as Thor, IMO, but it could work.

The continuity sucks, I didn't say the DC universe is perfect. Far from it in fact. My point is that the movies are way more interesting than current Marvel ones, they at least feel different from one another. Every Marvel movie nowadays feel very, VERY samey, shit just got stagnant. It's the same hip jokes that don't land, the same washed out look, even the fucking space ship dogfights are the same. It's corporate fast food. They had a good run though, up until GOTG 2 it was a god-tier experience and every movie was worth watching in the big screen completely sober. They lost their way since then.

But that's like my opinion man. You're all welcome to think otherwise.

Sorry to say, but Aquaman and Shazam! are way more "corporate" than the MCU films. DC were doing their own thing with Man of Steel, and Batman V Superman, they felt like Zack Snyder films..
The corporate bigwigs at the top felt that the dark tone wasn't working and so with Wonder Woman onward they started injecting humor to be more like the MCU films. The humor is entirely forced in Aquaman and most jokes don't land. Shazam! stepped it up with the jokes because it was actually funny. DC is literally run by Warner corporate and they even keep interfering with the production of their own films.

The MCU is run by people who are absolutely passionate about Marvel comics. Previously corporate interfered with Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World and Age of Ultron but phase 3 has not had corporate interference.
Ant-Man + Ant-man and the Wasp feel like a Peyton Reed film.
Winter Soldier, Civil War, Infinity War and Endgame all feel like Russo Bros films.
GotG 1 and 2 feel like James Gun films but less vulgar and "more mature".
Ragnarok feels like a Taika Waititi film.
Black Panther feels like a Ryan Coogler film.
The films are made by the creatives, Kein Feige lets them breath.

I disagree. Wonder Woman, Shazam and Aquaman are absolutely nothing alike. They feel like single entities. Meanwhile, and I'm officially a broken record here, every Marvel movie past GOTG 2 feature the same moronic quips, the same increasingly low budget looking fight scenes, the same kind of smartass support characters. They're more cohesive, but they feel very safe and boring. I'm just not the target audience for this shit I guess.

Last edited:

cr0w

Old Member
I thought Odinson was his title.

In the comics when Jane got th hammer and the power of Thor, he was referred to as Odinson. Beyond that I'm not sure, I don't think too much thought was put into it beyond, "Hey let's have a female Thor!"

In the comics when Jane got th hammer and the power of Thor, he was referred to as Odinson. Beyond that I'm not sure, I don't think too much thought was put into it beyond, "Hey let's have a female Thor!"

Looked it up. I guess his full name is Thor Odinson.

Guess during that run to keep people from being confused he gets called Odinson. Kinda strange. Seems like they were just banking on the Thor name to sell comics.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Looking forward to the next era of Marvel movies.
Although, I don't like/watch horror movies so may not see Dr Strange 2

I wonder how long MCU can keep going on at this height. Black Widow, Doctor Strange 2, Wanda Vision TV, Hawkeye TV and so on sounds unappealing to me. Do not see the point of that at all.

I am excited for Thor Love and Thunder and Blade. Blade could be really good. Ali was amazing in Moonlight, and with the right director it could be a fantastic movie. I loved Blade 1 and 2.

I wonder how long MCU can keep going on at this height. Black Widow, Doctor Strange 2, Wanda Vision TV, Hawkeye TV and so on sounds unappealing to me. Do not see the point of that at all.

I am excited for Thor Love and Thunder and Blade. Blade could be really good. Ali was amazing in Moonlight, and with the right director it could be a fantastic movie. I loved Blade 1 and 2.

Ali is about to be the first dude in Netflix marvel and the MCU :goog_unsure: :goog_unsure: :goog_unsure:

Kagey K

Banned

Different things appeal to different people I guess. 🤷‍♂️

WandaVision was the most exciting thing they announced for me.

I hope they play it out like an old sitcom with the 60’s aesthetic, but with the deep story they told in the comics.

The Disney+ stuff will be okay to mediocre, but who knows with this next phase of MCU movies. I gave up on reading Marvel in 99/00, been catching up on more modern stuff from the quarter bin and all I can say is:

manfestival

Wait, so Thor is his title and not his name?

So what's his name when other people are Thor?
There is an entire army of Thor's that all have mjolnirs.
I saw this coming from a mile away with Thor. People argued with me that this(portman the next Thor) wasn't going to happen. LOOKS LIKE I WON. Points for my e-peen.
Disappointed that the what ifs are going to be animated. I mean I think it is cool that they are going to happen though.
Excited for CottonMouth getting his come up as Blade. The dude is a fantastic actor.
Seems like we are going deep into the more recent lore of Marvel as opposed to sticking to the old. Not a fan of seeing Jolie as part of the Eternals(but I digress since it is just a personal thing). Though the cast looks like American politics one o one(diversity was a requirement clearly).
Count me in for Doctor Strange , Loki , Falcon and the winter soldier(he is cap now, don't call him Falcon anymore pls), and shang chi

kunonabi

There is an entire army of Thor's that all have mjolnirs.
I saw this coming from a mile away with Thor. People argued with me that this(portman the next Thor) wasn't going to happen. LOOKS LIKE I WON. Points for my e-peen.
Disappointed that the what ifs are going to be animated. I mean I think it is cool that they are going to happen though.
Excited for CottonMouth getting his come up as Blade. The dude is a fantastic actor.
Seems like we are going deep into the more recent lore of Marvel as opposed to sticking to the old. Not a fan of seeing Jolie as part of the Eternals(but I digress since it is just a personal thing). Though the cast looks like American politics one o one(diversity was a requirement clearly).
Count me in for Doctor Strange , Loki , Falcon and the winter soldier(he is cap now, don't call him Falcon anymore pls), and shang chi

Diversity being a key point for Eternals was pretty expected since they were making it a point to cast a gay lead from the beginning. It is a great cast aside from the stuber guy and Jolie so as long as they don't rewrite Ikaris to be guy it should be fine.

Funny thing about Thor was I was resigned to Valkyrie taking over which would have sucked pretty bad by itself but shoehorning Portman into it, as much I love her as an actress, is just even more ridiculous considering how she dropped off the face of the earth. It's crazy how much the MCU hates the Thor character now. I wouldn't be surprised if Valkyrie and Foster are the ones actually hooking up in the new movie.

Last edited:
No x-men influence yet. I liked the Dr Strange/X-men crossover stuff in the past. Mutants work well in the weirdness. I guess you are getting Scarlet Witch in that, but it'd be neat to see a bit of the mutant world in there. Of course, the x-men movie timeline is a total mess so that's sort of an issue.

They could gender swap Deadpool and it would work within the character and vibe of the movie, but they probably don't have an actress who could pull off the comedy. Ghostbusters reboot didn't fill me with confidence in young female comic actresses.

MrRogers

A new era of marvel, the woke at resetera are loving it. For me, well the last marvel movie i saw was black panther, which was utter shite. I wonder if they'll go woke enough, they ll start to suffer at the bank but the amount of vapid pop culture that sells gangbusters just points to the masses hunger for it.

manfestival

Diversity being a key point for Eternals was pretty expected since they were making it a point to cast a gay lead from the beginning. It is a great cast aside from the stuber guy and Jolie so as long as they don't rewrite Ikaris to be guy it should be fine.

Funny thing about Thor was I was resigned to Valkyrie taking over which would have sucked pretty bad by itself but shoehorning Portman into it, as much I love her as an actress, is just even more ridiculous considering how she dropped off the face of the earth. It's crazy how much the MCU hates the Thor character now. I wouldn't be surprised if Valkyrie and Foster are the ones actually hooking up in the new movie.
As for the diversity... I mean duh. It is the same idea as someone buying a yellow mustang. You do it for the attention. The car can still be great but it is obvious to everyone and was obviously purchased with that intent. Don't sleep on stuber, he was fine in the movie.

Fox Mulder

Im not really excited by any of these this early. The Disney+ shows are going to water things down or be completely irrelevant like Agents of Shield.

Natalie Portman Thor sounds awful, but Waititi made Ragnarok great.

Last edited:
Top Bottom