• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors - E3 Trailer + screens

AniHawk

MiamiWesker said:
I played through ALL of it. I mean all, every character, got the true ending and completed the game. It was horrendous from beginning to end. So many glitches and weird shit, loading times that would drive people insane. One fight against Silver where you literally couldn't move and you would slowly die. I played it all so that I know what a true bad game is like.

The sad part of it all is that there was a good game somewhere in there. Many of the stages had great potential.

I think the idea of using different characters as needed to progress was a better idea than playing straight through as one character at a time (like in Sonic Adventure), but the amount of characters and the way they changed up the gameplay really sucked. Maybe a Trine system would have been better like what was presented at the final final boss for this type of idea.

RobbieNick

MiamiWesker said:
I played through ALL of it. I mean all, every character, got the true ending and completed the game. It was horrendous from beginning to end. So many glitches and weird shit, loading times that would drive people insane. One fight against Silver where you literally couldn't move and you would slowly die. I played it all so that I know what a true bad game is like.

It's like that loose tooth that causes you pain every time you touch it with your tongue, but you keep touching it anyway........or Howard Stern.

thomasos

brochiller said:
Sonic and the Black Knight - 8.0
Sonic and the Secret Rings - 8.5
Sonic Unleashed - 8.0

I wrote the Sonic Colors review for NP, and for what it's worth, I didn't review any of those previous titles. If I had, I probably would have given Sonic and the Secret Rings a 7.0 and Sonic Unleashed a 6.5. (I haven't played through Sonic and the Black Knight yet.) I'm not saying that to throw my colleagues under the bus--reviews are just one person's opinion--but to help folks calibrate where that 9.0 for Sonic Colors is coming from. It's a hell of a lot of fun, and I think you guys are really going to enjoy it.

Kard8p3

thomasos said:
I wrote the Sonic Colors review for NP, and for what it's worth, I didn't review any of those previous titles. If I had, I probably would have given Sonic and the Secret Rings a 7.0 and Sonic Unleashed a 6.5. (I haven't played through Sonic and the Black Knight yet.) I'm not saying that to throw my colleagues under the bus--reviews are just one person's opinion--but to help folks calibrate where that 9.0 for Sonic Colors is coming from. It's a hell of a lot of fun, and I think you guys are really going to enjoy it.

So would you say it's without a doubt the best 3D sonic and the best sonic since the Genesis era?

thomasos said:
Yeah I was gonna say it was silly of me to want to group all of an organization's reviews under one umbrella.

I just discovered the music for Starlight Carnival's map. <3 Officially on the hype train.

Quick question, are all of the acts in the zones consistently good? I was thinking there would be some filler acts just because there seems to be so many acts.

Sciz

thomasos said:
Always a pleasure when reviewers drop by and elaborate, so thanks for that.

You're making the wait damned hard, though. D:

thomasos

Crumpet Trumpet said:
Yeah I was gonna say it was silly of me to want to group all of an organization's reviews under one umbrella.

I just discovered the music for Starlight Carnival's map. <3 Officially on the hype train.

Quick question, are all of the acts in the zones consistently good? I was thinking there would be some filler acts just because there seems to be so many acts.

I probably shouldn't get into too much detail here, but none of the acts felt like filler to me. Some are a bit on the short side, but as you mention, there are a LOT of them (more than 40, if I remember correctly), so the game certainly doesn't feel like it's hurting for content.

And to answer the question above yours, it's definitely my favorite Sonic game since the 16-bit days. That's largely because it's more of a platformer than any of the games since then.

thomasos said:
I probably shouldn't get into too much detail here, but none of the acts felt like filler to me. Some are a bit on the short side, but as you mention, there are a LOT of them (more than 40, if I remember correctly), so the game certainly doesn't feel like it's hurting for content.

And to answer the question above yours, it's definitely my favorite Sonic game since the 16-bit days. That's largely because it's more of a platformer than any of the games since then.

Get hype!!

Kard8p3

thomasos said:

Very nice to hear. It shocking to me how it's the 3D sonic getting all the praise.

AniHawk said:
I was actually surprised at the Knuckles and Rouge sections or, more accurately, how not as completely frustrating they appeared to be compared to the rest of the game. These were the worst segments of the Sonic Adventure games and, despite changing nothing about how they play (except making them control worse), those segments appeared to be the least nerve-wracking.

Until you climb on a wall that you cannot jump off of because the collision detection fucked up.

AniHawk said:
Then there's the story, which is skippable, and that is awesome, but it takes itself way too fucking seriously, and I think that's where a lot of the game's problems stem from. It was really meant to be Sonic and His Ensemble Team of Super Friends, this awesome epic about Sonic and his buddies, but the story ends up being this awful thing that makes no sense. I doubt that Sonic Unleashed, like Secret Rings, makes much sense either, but I bet because it doesn't take itself too seriously that Sonic Team was able to focus on just making better and more straightforward Sonic stuff without worrying about extra bullshit. That formula seems to be working well for Colors too.

Sonic Unleashed's storyline is vastly more streamlined and is more comparable to a Saturday Morning Cartoon. By virtue of picking a subject matter that wasn't time travel, it is immediately easier to understand and "keep straight". It keeps its cast small and its simplistic goals clear, unless you start chasing side missions - but the game never once actually requires you to. Outside of a couple of mandatory things at the beginning of the game, basically every NPC you see (and the side missions they offer) can be ignored and has no bearing on the actual game's storyline.

AniHawk said:
Really, I had no idea Sonic 06 was that horrible. I had seen compilations of glitches, examples of Silver and Sonic levels, and I had played the demo, which had its problems. And the impression I got was that it was bad game with annoying and boring design decisions and lots of bugs, but that was just the tip of the iceburg. It boggles the mind that anyone could defend this game, that anyone could like this game. I got on some people's cases for enjoying it before, but it was mostly ribbing them. Now I am genuinely interested in how they could reach a conclusion outside of "wow, this was extraordinarily bad." I just can't wrap my head around it.

I still don't think you have the appropriate perspective. Imagine:

Sega releases a demo for Sonic 2006. It is not very good. Sonic's controls are super weird, the game is kind of buggy, and the camera control is outright abysmal. Sega's official line is that the demo is more than a year old and "all of those problems have been fixed" in the retail version.

On its surface, Sonic 2006 looks like a return to the ideals from the original Sonic Adventure. That's probably a good thing; People point back to Sonic Adventure as a good game. Therefore, the more Sonic 2006 is trying to be like SA1, the better, right? On top of that, this is a Sonic game being made to celebrate Sonic's 15th Anniversary. However shitty the past Sonic games have been, they can't half-ass something like this. It's a new generation! A new beginning! The game's going to be awesome.

You have just enough money to buy an Xbox 360, pre-order the game (the first and only game you've ever pre-ordered), and get a couple of Xbox 1 games. While everybody else is getting excited for the upcoming Gears of War and the launch of the Playstation 3, you're going to get the new Sonic game. Though there are lots of Xbox 360 games you want, you could technically say that it was Sonic 2006 that pushed you over the edge and made you buy a 360.

With your hopes that high, now imagine the game you saw Pokecapn play through. It is your only Xbox 360 game. It's all you could afford.

Two weeks later, your Xbox red rings. Friends jest that it committed seppuku. Upon sending it in for repair, Microsoft loses your Xbox 360 for three months. Considering the only games you have to play are Ninja Gaiden, Forza 1, Sonic 2006, and Sneak King, it's really not that big of a deal, but they give you a free copy of PGR3 as an apology.

This is my experience with Sonic 2006. Hindsight is 20/20 and the warning signs were there. I have nobody to blame but myself, but damn if it wasn't a hard fall regardless.

Oh my god, Sega1991. Good god. I don't know if I could ever forgive the Sonic series :lol

I've never actually played Sonic 06, but Heroes and Shadow were enough to sour me on the series.

Crumpet Trumpet said:
Oh my god, Sega1991. Good god. I don't know if I could ever forgive the Sonic series :lol

By the time Sonic Unleashed had come out, I had been hired by TSSZnews.com as their reviews editor and was provided a copy of the game to write about. Believe me, I was still incredibly bitter about the Sonic 2006 experience, but since I wasn't the one paying for Sonic Unleashed, I was a little more open to try the game. Plus, you know, it was technically my job.

Amazingly, I enjoyed Sonic Unleashed quite a bit! The Werehog stuff was a bit dumb and collecting medals was a silly way to pad out the length of the game by forcing you to replay and explore existing levels, but I do not hesitate to say that I genuinely had fun with the Xbox 360 version of Sonic Unleashed.

Funny story: I own Sonic 06 so I can say I own the worst game of the generation.

I convinced a friend on another board to play through it with me (with his own copy) and promptly left the country (on a planned study abroad trip).

He played for four hours and never let me hear the end of it.

Attention Sonic the Hedgehog fans! We just got a confirmation from a very reliable source that Sonic Cycle might be broken, i repeat there is a high chance of Sonic Cycle being broken. This is not a test. We know it's all a shock to you but what seemed impossible for the last 16 years might happening right now. Please hold to your hats, Takashi Iizuka is about to make a comeback!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
NonexistentK said:
Attention Sonic the Hedgehog fans! We just got a confirmation from a very reliable source that Sonic Cycle might be broken, i repeat there is a high chance of Sonic Cycle being broken. This is not a test. We know it's all a shock to you but what seemed impossible for the last 16 years might happening right now. Please hold to your hats, Takashi Iizuka is about to make a comeback!

Surely this has to be one of the warning signs to Armageddon.

Has anybody been to Hell lately? Can you confirm the existence of snowballs?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
thomasos said:

That's exactly whats had me hyped since the first videos. It looks like the best 3D adaption of Genesis level design I've seen.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
thomasos said:
Have you also reviewed the DS version? I'm a bit worried about this one because of NP's score, as I really thought this would be safe. But it's rated remarkably worse than the Rush games. What's the problem with this game?

.la1n

ZealousD said:
Surely this has to be one of the warning signs to Armageddon.

Has anybody been to Hell lately? Can you confirm the existence of snowballs?

I have in fact been to hell and can confirm their are snowballs falling.

Iv'e played colors

RobbieNick

Yoshi said:
Have you also reviewed the DS version? I'm a bit worried about this one because of NP's score, as I really thought this would be safe. But it's rated remarkably worse than the Rush games. What's the problem with this game?

Maybe too much like the last two Rush games?

Kard8p3

farnham said:
Colors looks great

The special powers and the theme gives me a super mario galaxy vibe!

I believe they've actually said they took inspiration from Mario Galaxy so that would make sense.

Zen

Banned
Sega1991 said:
I still don't think you have the appropriate perspective. Imagine:

Sega releases a demo for Sonic 2006. It is not very good. Sonic's controls are super weird, the game is kind of buggy, and the camera control is outright abysmal. Sega's official line is that the demo is more than a year old and "all of those problems have been fixed" in the retail version.

On its surface, Sonic 2006 looks like a return to the ideals from the original Sonic Adventure. That's probably a good thing; People point back to Sonic Adventure as a good game. Therefore, the more Sonic 2006 is trying to be like SA1, the better, right? On top of that, this is a Sonic game being made to celebrate Sonic's 15th Anniversary. However shitty the past Sonic games have been, they can't half-ass something like this. It's a new generation! A new beginning! The game's going to be awesome.

You have just enough money to buy an Xbox 360, pre-order the game (the first and only game you've ever pre-ordered), and get a couple of Xbox 1 games. While everybody else is getting excited for the upcoming Gears of War and the launch of the Playstation 3, you're going to get the new Sonic game. Though there are lots of Xbox 360 games you want, you could technically say that it was Sonic 2006 that pushed you over the edge and made you buy a 360.

With your hopes that high, now imagine the game you saw Pokecapn play through. It is your only Xbox 360 game. It's all you could afford.

Two weeks later, your Xbox red rings. Friends jest that it committed seppuku. Upon sending it in for repair, Microsoft loses your Xbox 360 for three months. Considering the only games you have to play are Ninja Gaiden, Forza 1, Sonic 2006, and Sneak King, it's really not that big of a deal, but they give you a free copy of PGR3 as an apology.

This is my experience with Sonic 2006. Hindsight is 20/20 and the warning signs were there. I have nobody to blame but myself, but damn if it wasn't a hard fall regardless.

That hurt to read, I can't imagine actually having gone through that. :lol You have my utmost respect for surviving to this day still being a fan. I had a pretty good BS detector and just ended up skipping everything post Adventure 2 until Sonic Unleashed (not that I didn't buy Rush 1 for 2 dollars or try the demo for Sonic Heroes/Sonic 2006, mind you).

Wow those power ups look sweet! I almost regret spoiling them for myself!

Glitchers are gonna have fun trying to use these wisps outside of their intended purpose I imagine :lol

AniHawk

Got through the lp of Sonic Unleashed. I can totally see why the game was well received by certain people, especially after Sonic 06. While Unleashed apparently had some bad controls and detection during the werehog sections, and there was still some bugginess left during the daytime levels (which was probably more on par with a Sonic Adventure title), the game was cleaned up in a big way.

I'm glad I never purchased it, strictly because the werehog levels did take at least 3 times longer than your standard Sonic level, apparently, and the collectathoning involved in getting those medals. It reminds me of the padding in Sonic Rush Adventure.

Visually speaking, it was a lot more charming, and I think it did a good job mixing the real world with Sonic. It was nice to see some platforming on both types of levels, although I hope none of the "surprises" like platforms that fall without warning don't make it into Colors. I think the double jump and the wall jump were good additions though, and it's nice to see them carry over. I know that some people are against double jumping, but it's kinda needed in Sonic since he doesn't grab onto platforms
and he still controls kinda floaty.

It's also interesting seeing Unleashed as part of the progression of Sonic games since 2001. It borrows a little RPGness from Secret Rings, and tries one more time at the character-changing gameplay that most of the 3D Sonics had at that point. It's also interesting because it's the basis for Colors, except now levels are shorter and each one will probably have wisp-related challenges and some platforming. I think replacing actual QTE events with mashing A will be a welcome change as well (it was one of the only things that annoyed me in the daytime levels).

Suzuki Yu

AniHawk said:
Got through the lp of Sonic Unleashed. I can totally see why the game was well received by certain people, especially after Sonic 06. While Unleashed apparently had some bad controls and detection during the werehog sections, and there was still some bugginess left during the daytime levels (which was probably more on par with a Sonic Adventure title), the game was cleaned up in a big way.
the walkthrough was covering the whole game which is nice.
but the player actually suck so much even by the end of the game! he failed to handle the game system and control decently.

Zen

Banned
SwiftSketcher said:
Wow those power ups look sweet! I almost regret spoiling them for myself!

Glitchers are gonna have fun trying to use these wisps outside of their intended purpose I imagine :lol

The blue block power up made me so happy; something that's lifted straight out of Mario, more of less, but seems like a cool addition.

And to think everyone was giving Sega shit for the 'we've redesigned Sonic to appeal more to Mario fans (for Sonic Colors).'

Top Bottom