• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

RiggyRob

Ah yeah, you are correct. I was getting the E-Litre Damage changes muddled up with the general changes to all Charger range modifications (when combined, they greatly reduced its ability to partial charge kill at great distances). Thanks for the correction. Apparently echolocator is also 9s instead of 8s.. dunno how I came to that conclusion.

Sloshers require good spacing to make best use of their maximum range, and shouldn't be attacking at point-blank. They also suffer from fairly low damage falloff, so they're pretty consistent in their 2HKO, plus they are great at attacking things at higher elevations (or painting high walls). Just takes a lot to get used to; might be why so few people use them over other weapons.

Yeah, I tended to try and get right up into people's faces, which is really a Roller's job - I'm just used to shotgun style aggressive play in multiplayer shooters, it was the most fun way to play in Gears of War 1!

@RiggyRob: One thing I want to point out, I think you need to make yourself more audible over the game audio, it's a little hard to hear you sometimes.

Yeah, I realised when watching the archive back - the game audio via the Elgato HD60 wasn't reduced low enough, and I think during the intro transition the mic audio cut out a little so you miss what I saying to begin with. Thanks for the feedback though!

Point Sensors got buffed to also mark for 8s (was 6s).

Point Sensors never lasted for 6 seconds; it was 10 seconds, then 2.2.0 shortened to 8 seconds but slightly increased the effect radius.

The worst change since 2015 though is that some map/mode combinations seem to have been disabled in Ranked mode:
Port Mackerel: Tower Control
Saltspray Rig: Tower Control, Rainmaker
Blackbelly Skatepark: Rainmaker
Piranha Pit: Rainmaker

Regiruler

Point Sensors never lasted for 6 seconds; it was 10 seconds, then 2.2.0 shortened to 8 seconds but slightly increased the effect radius.

The worst change since 2015 though is that some map/mode combinations seem to have been disabled in Ranked mode:

Saltspray Tower was in rotation a few weeks ago. Don't know if it's come back since.

Yeah I was noticing today that I haven't played on Saltspray in a very long time.. but the Museum and Bridge seems to always be in some combination.

I wonder what the reasoning is behind some maps not appearing?

abd

Sorry Robotguy. I totally forgot about you, Jah, and Aqua.

And yes Coconut, myself, but I am kind of blah on Splatoon lately.

Git gud? ��
Tell that to my teammates

...Fine I'll go get it like tomorrow or something. It shouldn't be too hard since I've already done it like three times now but NNNGH, going like 10 - 4 and losing with a team of 3-11's and shit over and over is just so depressing.

Hello Splatoon OT!

My GF got me a Wii U + Splatoon for Christmas and I gotta say it's a heap of fun. I'm currently level 8 online and seem to be doing pretty well as long the matchmaking doesn't place me in a lobby with level 30+ players.

I was wondering, whats my best chances of keeping the fight fair against higher levels? I've noticed when I do get steamrolled, its usually because they've got a very powerful weapon and maxed out stat items. Does anyone have any good tips to help a scrub git gud? Is roller life or should I be using the duck hunt blaster I see everyone using?

I'm loving the game so far, the salt levels only really rise when I'm facing higher levels over and over again. I'm hoping once I hit 10 and rank unlocks the fight will be a little more even.

I was wondering, whats my best chances of keeping the fight fair against higher levels? I've noticed when I do get steamrolled, its usually because they've got a very powerful weapon and maxed out stat items. Does anyone have any good tips to help a scrub git gud? Is roller life or should I be using the duck hunt blaster I see everyone using?

I'm loving the game so far, the salt levels only really rise when I'm facing higher levels over and over again. I'm hoping once I hit 10 and rank unlocks the fight will be a little more even.
Roller life is great. I've used both the Krak-On Roller (Beakons as your sub, Kraken as the special) and the Carbon Roller...I think Deco (Seeker Sub, Bomb Rush Seeker special)

Recently, depending on the stage, particularly the Bridge, I've found myself going to a Slosher (Burst Bomb; Inkstrike) and shockingly the Luna Blaster. I've been opposed to using any guns online if possible but the broken mechanics of the Luna Blaster make it great fun, especially on stages with grated platforms like the Bridge and Kelp Dome

Hello Splatoon OT!

My GF got me a Wii U + Splatoon for Christmas and I gotta say it's a heap of fun. I'm currently level 8 online and seem to be doing pretty well as long the matchmaking doesn't place me in a lobby with level 30+ players.

Hiya Sourtreats! Welcome to the Splatoon OT! :)

If you are facing higher level players in turf wars, it usually means that the system thinks you are playing well above your level, and is trying to match you accordingly. If that is the case, then you are doing pretty well so far.

You should just use whatever weapons and kits you like to use. I feel it is important to experiment with different weapons and kits often anyway; you might find a better preference, but you will also learn what goes right and what goes wrong with that particular weapon/kit. All three N-Zap kits are honestly not bad, so give any of them a go and see if you like them :) Some quick tips I can give you are:

a. Paint everywhere! Besides that activity charging your special and being the win condition, the capacity to swim vs. not being able to swim makes an absolutely huge difference to everyone.

b. Avoid and cover up enemy ink as often as you can. If you think that patch of ink has a lurking ambusher, you should cover it up. If you do not think there is a lurking ambusher, you should cover it up just to be sure.

c. Find time to look down at your mini-map, at your squids at the top, and behind you every once in awhile. Don't lose track of what is directly visible to you by doing so, but these details sometimes go unchecked, which can end really bad.

d. Be introspective! Sometimes you will die; why was that? How would you avoid that next time?

Hopefully that'll be a good start for you! :) Also, if you feel like playing with us, I believe we have a link to our discord in the opening post.

(For the record, when I say weapon, I refer to a main weapon like the Splattershot main weapon or the N-Zap main weapon. When I say kit, it means the bundle that comes with a main weapon, sub weapon, and special, such as N-Zap 85 (which is N-Zap, Splat Bomb and Echolocator) or N-Zap 89 (which is N-Zap, Sprinkler and Inkstrike). Sometimes some folks use those terms interchangeably, but I prefer to make a distinction so that I am less ambiguous.)

RiggyRob

Hello Splatoon OT!

It's always a good idea to try playing more sneakily rather than charging head on into battle, or at least that's what I always tell myself to do and then never do it.

Roller life is great. I've used both the Krak-On Roller (Beakons as your sub, Kraken as the special) and the Carbon Roller...I think Deco (Seeker Sub, Bomb Rush Seeker special)

Recently, depending on the stage, particularly the Bridge, I've found myself going to a Slosher (Burst Bomb; Inkstrike) and shockingly the Luna Blaster. I've been opposed to using any guns online if possible but the broken mechanics of the Luna Blaster make it great fun, especially on stages with grated platforms like the Bridge and Kelp Dome

Krak-on roller is my current roller of choice, managed to splat a few people with my special whhich is always good fun. Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. :)

Hiya Sourtreats! Welcome to the Splatoon OT! :)

If you are facing higher level players in turf wars, it usually means that the system thinks you are playing well above your level, and is trying to match you accordingly. If that is the case, then you are doing pretty well so far.

You should just use whatever weapons and kits you like to use. I feel it is important to experiment with different weapons and kits often anyway; you might find a better preference, but you will also learn what goes right and what goes wrong with that particular weapon/kit. All three N-Zap kits are honestly not bad, so give any of them a go and see if you like them :) Some quick tips I can give you are:

a. Paint everywhere! Besides that activity charging your special and being the win condition, the capacity to swim vs. not being able to swim makes an absolutely huge difference to everyone.

b. Avoid and cover up enemy ink as often as you can. If you think that patch of ink has a lurking ambusher, you should cover it up. If you do not think there is a lurking ambusher, you should cover it up just to be sure.

c. Find time to look down at your mini-map, at your squids at the top, and behind you every once in awhile. Don't lose track of what is directly visible to you by doing so, but these details sometimes go unchecked, which can end really bad.

d. Be introspective! Sometimes you will die; why was that? How would you avoid that next time?

Hopefully that'll be a good start for you! :) Also, if you feel like playing with us, I believe we have a link to our discord in the opening post.

(For the record, when I say weapon, I refer to a main weapon like the Splattershot main weapon or the N-Zap main weapon. When I say kit, it means the bundle that comes with a main weapon, sub weapon, and special, such as N-Zap 85 (which is N-Zap, Splat Bomb and Echolocator) or N-Zap 89 (which is N-Zap, Sprinkler and Inkstrike). Sometimes some folks use those terms interchangeably, but I prefer to make a distinction so that I am less ambiguous.)

Some great advice there, thank you! I figured I was probably playing above my level, any time I play people at my level I'm always top, so playing high ranks gives me a good challenge I guess.

I will defiantly try out some weapons, I bought 2 new ones last night but forget what they were. Will give them a fair try and see which I like better.

Swimming is something I'm getting used to, I'm doing it more and more when I respawn to get back to the centre as quickly as possible. I've also noticed a lot of higher levels using it to move and jump on people as well as using it for defense. Will need to practice it more, but it'll no doubt come with time.

Thanks for the great welcome and the amazing tips. I'm going to be more aware thanks to these.

Doorman

Welcome to Splatoon, Sourtreats! Enjoy your complimentary salt. :p

As far as tips for newcomers and dealing with higher-leveled players...general game awareness is probably the biggest thing to keep in mind. The squids along the top-bar are a big help for that, letting you know at-a-glance how many teammates and enemies are active on the map. Try and recognize obvious ambush locations and try to set up ambushes of your own, especially if rollers are more your thing since it's harder to get in against someone that already knows where you're coming from.

As for people using weapons and gear, weapon-wise different kits have different styles and advantages, and most of that comes down to your personal preference as much as anything. There are a few "meta" weapons that you'll tend to encounter more at higher ranks, but none of that's worth sweating at level 8 and only means much in high level ranked play.Try a few different things out, and think about what sort of gear-abilities would best compliment whatever weapon you're using. If you haven't already, I'd recommend doing a bit of research into the effects of the Damage Up ability in particular, because its usefulness can vary a TON depending on what weapon you're using. Other things are usually just preference and feel-based, whatever suits your playstyle.

And if all else fails, there's always quick respawn stacking.

Have fun!

J@hranimo

Banned
Really curious how much will be switched up in Splatoon Switch. I hope they make more quality of life changes instead of "let's add more content but not change the core game!"

Doorman

Really curious how much will be switched up in Splatoon Switch. I hope they make more quality of life changes instead of "let's add more content but not change the core game!"
This really is my fear going into it. More gear, more weapons, more stages, but the same system, same hub, and same UI which is in dire need of some improvements and streamlining after this much time. If stuff like rotations and gear abilities/rerolling is all untouched, I'll be pretty disappointed.

phanphare

Banned
yeah I'll be pretty disappointed if the re-roll system isn't better

unless they want to allow me to bring all my gear with me from the Wii U version, which I doubt

UltraJay

I just finished installing Wii U homebrew to dump games for CEMU and lo and behold I see that a custom Splatfest tool has been developed. This first custom Splatfest will be held this weekend!

Pancakes vs. Waffles - 1/13/2017 11 pm UTC to 1/15/2017 11 pm UTC
Mode: Turf War
Stages: Camp Triggerfish, Walleye Warehouse, and Mahi-Mahi Resort
news_no_date.jpg

splatfest_tees.png
There are some warnings however, test matches were held with nobody being banned but they can't guarantee it. To minimize bans, they urge everyone to NOT wear the Splatfest tee in normal matches.

I wonder how the matchmaking will be with me in Australia and a much smaller amount of people using this homebrew.

Basically you just launch the tool from Homebrew Launcher and it launches Splatoon, before the event you can pick up your tee. During the event, you can participate in Splatfest battles.

You need to install Splatton to the internal storage and unplug any external drives as a bug potentially won't let it work.

I'm going to try it and see how it all works out. Definitely going for Team Waffles.

ChrisD

I would also be Team Waffles

It's hard to make a bad waffle
I can personally screw up any pancake I try to cook, it's like magic

RedFyn

That's awesome. But their waffle looks nothing like a waffle :(

And picking camp :/ Might as well throw in towers and bridge while you're at it.

phanphare

Banned
reposting from the splatoon 2 thread

some gifs and random observations

zip lines on moray towers

giphy.gif

looks like you can charge your sniper and swim with the charge held but you'll show up in the ink

giphy.gif

dat roll

OrFjCbX.gif

vertical swing for rollers

giphy.gif

side to side roll

RvyHIB6.gif

marie

sdCeWbE.gif

Jims

How does everyone feel about the overhauling of the specials and the kits for the sequel? They said in the Treehouse stream that every special in the game will be new. Not sure if future content brings back classic weapon sets, but it implies completely new kits for Splatoon 2.

Part of me will really miss some of the iconic weapon kits from the first game. Stuff like Tentatek (as one example) is so iconic now, it would be kind of weird for it not to be in Splatoon 2. But at the same time, if they're doing a true sequel and not just charging $60 for an upgraded port, they should be overhauling the whole thing and give us a completely new experience. People have played Tentatek for hundreds of hours, maybe it's time the game moves onto something new?

I'm more in favor of the complete overhaul, but was a little taken aback at the generation change. Will be really excited to see the rollout of updates and the stuff they tease. With all the weapons and stages and stuff, there will be a lot of new content to look at until this summer.

L95

I can't wait to see all the hairstyles....

(Though, tbh, of all the ones I've seen I think I like the Classic girl squid style the most so far....)

Just thinking: the vertical paint spread on the roller's jumping attack basically turns it into a giant overhead liquid sword slash for all intents and purposes :p

How does everyone feel about the overhauling of the specials and the kits for the sequel? They said in the Treehouse stream that every special in the game will be new. Not sure if future content brings back classic weapon sets, but it implies completely new kits for Splatoon 2.

Part of me will really miss some of the iconic weapon kits from the first game. Stuff like Tentatek (as one example) is so iconic now, it would be kind of weird for it not to be in Splatoon 2. But at the same time, if they're doing a true sequel and not just charging $60 for an upgraded port, they should be overhauling the whole thing and give us a completely new experience. People have played Tentatek for hundreds of hours, maybe it's time the game moves onto something new?

I'm more in favor of the complete overhaul, but was a little taken aback at the generation change. Will be really excited to see the rollout of updates and the stuff they tease. With all the weapons and stages and stuff, there will be a lot of new content to look at until this summer.

I imagine one of the reasons for new specials is to have something totally new and "FRESH" and that the experienced players have something new to learn and aren't completely crushing newbies with old strats when the game launches.

Inkstrike might have a problem coming back since the multiple controller configurations limit having the touchpad at all times. I hope it does though as it was my favorite special.

Totakeke

Going to a hands on tomrrrow. Anything specific I should look out for? I guess I'm interested if the rumble does anything interesting for the game.

Going to a hands on tomrrrow. Anything specific I should look out for? I guess I'm interested if the rumble does anything interesting for the game.
Hiya Totakeke! :3

- Can you get an idea of costs for all the specials?
- See if Dualies actually have any reasonable advantage of being able to fire from the left side ;)
- See if Splashdown (the special for the roller) can eliminate projectiles and/or bombs.
- This is probably harder to test, but see if the new weapons are more ink efficient or not compared to what we have currently.
- Let us know which kit you like most and which you like least after playing :p
- See how many kills you can get with just curling bombs ;P

This is all I can think of for now. Hopefully you will have fun no matter what!

Totakeke

Hiya Totakeke! :3

- Can you get an idea of costs for all the specials?
- See if Dualies actually have any reasonable advantage of being able to fire from the left side ;)
- See if Splashdown (the special for the roller) can eliminate projectiles and/or bombs.
- This is probably harder to test, but see if the new weapons are more ink efficient or not compared to what we have currently.
- Let us know which kit you like most and which you like least after playing :p
- See how many kills you can get with just curling bombs ;P

This is all I can think of for now. Hopefully you will have fun no matter what!

Lol, those are definitely specific. I'll turn the game on to get a feel of things.

abd

Lol, those are definitely specific. I'll turn the game on to get a feel of things.

Superjumping. How does the change feel? The recital shows on the map, can you use that to choose who to jump to? If you hold A you can use the d-pad to jump without bringing up the map?

Top Bottom