• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

The disconnection issues seem to vary week by week, though the last update did something funky, especially to some weapons. Just ask Toadsili T about the .96D.

Regiruler

I still think it's a "melting" thing, despite what it looks like in single player.

This is the strongest conclusion IMO. Unless ink has some space-defying properties and incredible surface tension, it's only a layer.

All of the sound effects while in humanoid form point to this.

J@hranimo

Banned
I really do hope deep down Splatoon Switch does enough to "stay fresh" cause right now I haven't been feeling it.

And to add to the previous discussion...what is ink really?

J@hranimo

Banned
Everything about that video is on my side.

Everything about them being coated over really points towards "EAD didn't care".

If anything, squids are clearly not as heavy as octoweapons that are made of metal and are big as hell.

I always had this idea that with being non-skeletal humanoid squid creatures that can superjump really far, they have to be light enough to not go that deep into ink :p

phanphare

Banned
I really do hope deep down Splatoon Switch does enough to "stay fresh" cause right now I haven't been feeling it.

And to add to the previous discussion...what is ink really?

yeah same. not that I'm not feeling it I just want some new freshness and a better feature set. if they keep the gameplay the same, refine how re-rolls are done, add some new maps, weapons and gear, maybe some new single player stuff, and make the game better in terms of online and rotations and stuff (maybe voice chat with friends at the system level) then I'd be pretty happy with that. honestly I just want to be able to play splat zones whenever I want.

Man I dunno what was going on, but last evening/night was just one loss after another. I dropped from upper A to lower B-. Either I got disconnected while we were winning, we got completely btfo, or the rest of my team was jacking off going after the other team instead of completing the mission (either getting the rainmaker pushed a bit or actually painting the splat zone)

I will say there were a few battles in both Rainmaker and Splat Zone where it was pretty much an even match. I'm talking about one where it was 100/97 for the entirety of the match. That was pretty incredible....just wish we would have pushed a bit more to have won.

I wonder if we'll see a surge in new players this Christmas?

Jims

Just saw this on YouTube. Adorable and sweet.
DUDE got Specter an E-Liter 3K for Christmas

yeah same. not that I'm not feeling it I just want some new freshness and a better feature set. if they keep the gameplay the same, refine how re-rolls are done, add some new maps, weapons and gear, maybe some new single player stuff, and make the game better in terms of online and rotations and stuff (maybe voice chat with friends at the system level) then I'd be pretty happy with that. honestly I just want to be able to play splat zones whenever I want.

It really does feel like the stuff they need to do for a half-sequel or whatever is the little stuff. Just tweak the re-roll and rotation system, add equipment and maps, and maybe 2-3 new game modes and they're pretty much there.

Will be interesting to see if they do another round of balancing too. They seemed to do smaller and smaller changes as they went, but I could see them doing a lot for the new one.

Would love to see a Dual Squelcher buff. I don't know what (maybe improve ink efficiency? fire rate?) but it needs something to go against the Pro. Wouldn't mind seeing them nerf the Stealth Jump/Quick Respawn combo as well.

Azure J

wiiu_screenshot_tv_015lsls.jpg

All it took was the right combination of salt and a desire to remind myself that my Kelp is my baby.

J@hranimo

Banned
I guess I was in the holiday spirit thanks to Squidmas and I got back into the solo queue
like a madman

I think I'm having fun with the game again. I don't rage and get angry at weird hitboxes or terrible players as much. Feels good man.

Also congrats on the S+99 Azure! The true final boss of the game haha.

Chiramii

Just got this game and decided to jump straight to online. Got grouped with people that were level 1-7 and won some really close games. Went to the shop and bought some gear and all I see now is level 40-50 people kicking my ass. What's up with that? Will ranked games fix this. The road to level 10 will be a long one.

Regiruler

Just got this game and decided to jump straight to online. Got grouped with people that were level 1-7 and won some really close games. Went to the shop and bought some gear and all I see now is level 40-50 people kicking my ass. What's up with that? Will ranked games fix this. The road to level 10 will be a long one.
Long? I can't really say that.

Especially since it's easier with the 1k win bonus now. Used to be 300.

You basically just triggered the anti-smurfing mechanisms.

Ranked doesn't use those, it just uses your rank, so it won't be an issue there.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Just played a Rainmaker match on Mahi Mahi Resort where the other team took the rainmaker back to their base and got it stuck somewhere you can't jump to without the Rainmaker. That was the cheapest, least fun match I've ever played and I've seen some shit in the 500 hours I've played. Ugh.

Just played a Rainmaker match on Mahi Mahi Resort where the other team took the rainmaker back to their base and got it stuck somewhere you can't jump to without the Rainmaker. That was the cheapest, least fun match I've ever played and I've seen some shit in the 500 hours I've played. Ugh.
Yikes :X imo, if they want to fix the problem of stranding the fish in shitty places for the next iteration, one of the following needs to happen:

1) Add map modifiers to every map such that every drop off is accessible without going near enemy spawn.
2) Expand or place way more "no rainmaker zones".

Ouch, didn't know that. Won't complaint then. Not that I'll ever get the win bonus anyway, It's basically a 3v4 battlefield.

Nice.
Think of it this way, you're already doing so well in turf wars such that the game is compelled to match you up vs lv 40+ players ;P

All it took was the right combination of salt and a desire to remind myself that my Kelp is my baby.
Dunno how I missed this, but congrats Azure! :)

L95

Has anyone in here mentioned that an english print of the Splatoon art book is coming out in June? I just stumbled across it on amazon. I'm upset with myself I hadn't heard about an english print earlier.

Regiruler

Has anyone in here mentioned that an english print of the Splatoon art book is coming out in June? I just stumbled across it on amazon. I'm upset with myself I hadn't heard about an english print earlier.
Wario64 posted about it once on twitter, that's the only time I've seen it.

Grakl

Yarp!

I think it's been awhile though... and I'm not sure if you're still on my friend list :(

If you come to SplatGAF discord you can coordinate more easily with us :)
Got a link? And yeah I haven't played for like a year so im awful rn. Rank doesn't depreciate tho so im still being paired with S and S+ players rip

Edit: nevermind got it thanx

Got a link? And yeah I haven't played for like a year so im awful rn. Rank doesn't depreciate tho so im still being paired with S and S+ players rip

I think I kept you on my friend list, so you can join through me and then add anyone else you might not have.

Toadsili T

Neo Member

I wouldn't worry about your rank if you were an S/S+ player a long time ago. Steady-state analysis has shown that over 45% of the player base is now in S rank, which means you probably shouldn't have any more trouble than your average player.

Hope to see you around in the Discord some time; we're still rather active there. :)

RiggyRob

I'm thinking of jumping back into Splatoon and streaming it on Twitch & YouTube, but I haven't played since before the August 2015 update - is there a list/summary of all the major changes to date?

Talking about maps, modes, what skills are best to have on your equipment, weapon balancing (damn I wish the Kraken hadn't been nerfed so that you can push them back) and so on.

Toadsili T

Neo Member
I'm thinking of jumping back into Splatoon and streaming it on Twitch & YouTube, but I haven't played since before the August 2015 update - is there a list/summary of all the major changes to date?

Talking about maps, modes, what skills are best to have on your equipment, weapon balancing (damn I wish the Kraken hadn't been nerfed so that you can push them back) and so on.

There have been a LOT of changes since the August 2015 Update; the list of changes is quite sizable, but the important ones off the top of my head include:

* All weapons now have different levels of Special loss, instead of the flat 50% loss on Death. Three categories now exist; Light Loss (40%), Medium loss (60%) and Heavy Loss (75%).

* All Chargers received a massive rework, with dramatically reduced range before hitting full charge. This prevented getting easier kills at max range with partial charges from heavy Damage Up Stacking. Same range as before when fully charged, however.

* Burst Bombs now cost 40% of the Ink Tank (was 25%), have dramatically reduced knockback, and pretty much require direct impacts to deal full damage. Massive Hit to E-Litre Burst Bomb Spam (Coupled to heavy Damage Up Stacking).

* Splash Walls have been nerfed from their OP tier back down to earth. Still useful, but not a giant "STOP!" sign now. Can't recover Ink for 2.3s after deployment (IIRC), and is taken down much faster than before.

* Bubbles and Krakens had their duration reduced (now 4.5s and 5s respectively, was 5s and 6s respectively), and receive even MORE knockback when riding the Tower in Tower Control.

* Splattershot Pros got a range and bullet velocity buff, allowing it to outrange 96 Deco and land easier hits at range.

* 96 Deco got hit with so many nerfs, both direct and indirect, that it's pretty much only played by the best of the best now. Only deals 52 Damage now (Was 62), and had its accuracy cone tightened.

* Stealth Jump got nerfed so you can't attack until you finish landing.

* All Ink Efficiency Perks received buffs to their effect magnitude.

* Cold Blooded got nerfed so that it only shortens marking time by Echolocator etc by 50% (was 75%). However, Echolocator now only marks for 8s (was 12s). Point Sensors got buffed to also mark for 8s (was 6s).

* Tentatek and Quick Respawn are still as powerful as ever.

* Splatlings are a thing now. Beware the Hydra.

* Dynamo Roller has been hit with numerous nerfs, but still remains an extremely powerful and dangerous force. If you used it before, you may find yourself having to adjust to the long ink recovery time it now has.

* Several new maps have been added since August 2015; best to play them as they come up, or in some Private Battles.

Others are welcome to chime in other important changes.

RiggyRob

There have been a LOT of changes since the August 2015 Update; the list of changes is quite sizable, but the important ones off the top of my head include:

* All weapons now have different levels of Special loss, instead of the flat 50% loss on Death. Three categories now exist; Light Loss (40%), Medium loss (60%) and Heavy Loss (75%).

* All Chargers received a massive rework, with dramatically reduced range before hitting full charge. This prevented getting easier kills at max range with partial charges from heavy Damage Up Stacking. Same range as before when fully charged, however.

* Burst Bombs now cost 40% of the Ink Tank (was 25%), have dramatically reduced knockback, and pretty much require direct impacts to deal full damage. Massive Hit to E-Litre Burst Bomb Spam (Coupled to heavy Damage Up Stacking).

* Splash Walls have been nerfed from their OP tier back down to earth. Still useful, but not a giant "STOP!" sign now. Can't recover Ink for 2.3s after deployment (IIRC), and is taken down much faster than before.

* Bubbles and Krakens had their duration reduced (now 4.5s and 5s respectively, was 5s and 6s respectively), and receive even MORE knockback when riding the Tower in Tower Control.

* Splattershot Pros got a range and bullet velocity buff, allowing it to outrange 96 Deco and land easier hits at range.

* 96 Deco got hit with so many nerfs, both direct and indirect, that it's pretty much only played by the best of the best now. Only deals 52 Damage now (Was 62), and had its accuracy cone tightened.

* Stealth Jump got nerfed so you can't attack until you finish landing.

* All Ink Efficiency Perks received buffs to their effect magnitude.

* Cold Blooded got nerfed so that it only shortens marking time by Echolocator etc by 50% (was 75%). However, Echolocator now only marks for 8s (was 12s). Point Sensors got buffed to also mark for 8s (was 6s).

* Tentatek and Quick Respawn are still as powerful as ever.

* Splatlings are a thing now. Beware the Hydra.

* Dynamo Roller has been hit with numerous nerfs, but still remains an extremely powerful and dangerous force. If you used it before, you may find yourself having to adjust to the long ink recovery time it now has.

* Several new maps have been added since August 2015; best to play them as they come up, or in some Private Battles.

Others are welcome to chime in other important changes.

Damn that's a lot, and I'll bet I would have never known about most of them. My favourite weapon was the Krak-On Roller previously, but it sounds like that was relatively untouched.

I'll have to get used to playing against the gatling gun and paint bucket style weapons too!

My favourite weapon was the Krak-On Roller previously, but it sounds like that was relatively untouched.
Nah, it got hit with the big Roller Nerf. If you're not dead center with your aim you won't get the OHKO.

I still die regularly because of that nonsense while a Tentatek just runs up to me while holding ZR.

I like plugging splatoonwiki whenever I get the chance, so here :3

http://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Version_history

This is a big list of all the changes that Splatoon has gone through. If you're interested in changes to specific kits, you can just look them up.

RiggyRob

Nah, it got hit with the big Roller Nerf. If you're not dead center with your aim you won't get the OHKO.

I still die regularly because of that nonsense while a Tentatek just runs up to me while holding ZR.

Oh, damn - maybe I'd be better off restarting with a more beginner-friendly weapon like a Splattershot.

I like plugging splatoonwiki whenever I get the chance, so here :3

http://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Version_history

This is a big list of all the changes that Splatoon has gone through. If you're interested in changes to specific kits, you can just look them up.

This is great! Thanks, I'll probably spend ages looking everything up now.

Oh dang, another Splatoon streamer is joining the frqy? That's exciting news! =D As it is, the NeoGAF Splatoon community has 1 practically daily streamer, several biweekly (at minimum) streamers, and a few occasional streamers. The dream (at least mine) is to have 8 streamers all at once streaming so that we can get everyone's POV during a game.

But yeah, Splattershot or even Splash-o-Matic might be a good type of weapon to come back to the game with.

RiggyRob

Oh dang, another Splatoon streamer is joining the frqy? That's exciting news! =D As it is, the NeoGAF Splatoon community has 1 practically daily streamer, several biweekly (at minimum) streamers, and a few occasional streamers. The dream (at least mine) is to have 8 streamers all at once streaming so that we can get everyone's POV during a game.

But yeah, Splattershot or even Splash-o-Matic might be a good type of weapon to come back to the game with.

The main problem you'd run into is timezones - I'm planning on playing tonight at 6pm UK/1pm EST/10am PST, which is probably too early for the majority of US Splatooners. Plus I'm doing it as a weekly series type of deal, because there's other games we want to stream.

It'd be interesting to see if you could cut together 4v4 POVs though.

I'll have to try the weapons out - starting again with the Splattershot to begin with is probably the best plan, but man do I like the sound of the Slosher.

Regiruler

This is inaccurate: Splat Chargers got a 4% range increase when fully charged and never had a damage modification: instead it was just a range reduction when not fully charged.

RiggyRob

Finished playing a little while ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFFz7xVX_uk&list=PLnhwVsYSH1o34JyompKMvElDRGtgdzRus&index=1

Well, it wasn't awful - I only ended up -12 points from where I started, for a while it looked like I was going to drop a whole rank lower into B+!

Tried out the Slosher Deco - while I like it in theory, I feel like I should be getting 1HKOs at point-blank range, not 2HKOs. I think I might end up using one of the Splatlings next week considering how many times I got destroyed by them.

Finished playing a little while ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFFz7xVX_uk&list=PLnhwVsYSH1o34JyompKMvElDRGtgdzRus&index=1

Well, it wasn't awful - I only ended up -12 points from where I started, for a while it looked like I was going to drop a whole rank lower into B+!

Tried out the Slosher Deco - while I like it in theory, I feel like I should be getting 1HKOs at point-blank range, not 2HKOs. I think I might end up using one of the Splatlings next week considering how many times I got destroyed by them.
Thanks for streaming (and recording)! :3

Why should you be getting 1HKOs? :O I mean, I guess I wouldn't mind personally since I use Soda Slosher a lot, but I think the Slosher main weapon has fantastic flexibility and range. And even then, 70 base damage is still pretty good!

Edit: Oh gosh yes Sheldon's pitches if you haven't played in awhile X3

RiggyRob

Thanks for streaming (and recording)! :3

Why should you be getting 1HKOs? :O I mean, I guess I wouldn't mind personally since I use Soda Slosher a lot, but I think the Slosher main weapon has fantastic flexibility and range. And even then, 70 base damage is still pretty good!

Edit: Oh gosh yes Sheldon's pitch if you haven't played in awhile X3

The good thing about streaming to YouTube is that it automatically uploads an archive, so using Restream.io made perfect sense to combine Twitch and YouTube.

It does have better range than I was expecting, and being able to shoot over walls is great utility. I guess I'm just too used to Rollers - I'll probably default to the Carbon Roller at some point since 'it has the quickest 1HKO in the game' according to the wiki.

Toadsili T

Neo Member
This is inaccurate: Splat Chargers got a 4% range increase when fully charged and never had a damage modification: instead it was just a range reduction when not fully charged.

Ah yeah, you are correct. I was getting the E-Litre Damage changes muddled up with the general changes to all Charger range modifications (when combined, they greatly reduced its ability to partial charge kill at great distances). Thanks for the correction. Apparently echolocator is also 9s instead of 8s.. dunno how I came to that conclusion.

Sloshers require good spacing to make best use of their maximum range, and shouldn't be attacking at point-blank. They also suffer from fairly low damage falloff, so they're pretty consistent in their 2HKO, plus they are great at attacking things at higher elevations (or painting high walls). Just takes a lot to get used to; might be why so few people use them over other weapons.

@RiggyRob: One thing I want to point out, I think you need to make yourself more audible over the game audio, it's a little hard to hear you sometimes.

Top Bottom