• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Regiruler

Going to a hands on tomrrrow. Anything specific I should look out for? I guess I'm interested if the rumble does anything interesting for the game.

-See if Left and right on the... not d-pad... do anything when not in the menu.
-See what a and x do.
-Try the anti-camper weapon at the spawn point. Tell us anything about how it's activated and soforth.

Yeah I can check that.

How do you test for inaccuracy?
Uh... I guess you try aiming directly at the target and see how well the shots connect? In my mind the extremes in this case would be Splash-o-Matic (very accurate) all the way to 96 Gal (very inaccurate). Where would the Dualies be on that scale? At the very least, would the Dualies be closer to the splash or to the gal? Sorry if I'm still not clear :(

Needham

Going to a hands on tomrrrow. Anything specific I should look out for? I guess I'm interested if the rumble does anything interesting for the game.

If you're still taking suggestions, just something weird I'm curious about. I see you can paint the underside of the bridge, but can you swim up the wall and then swim upside down on the bottom of the bridge? It's obviously a very important thing that needs immediate testing!

There's a turret sort of thing that's right on the spawn point. I've seen it make a little noise in some footage but nobody ever uses it.

I think that's a pressure valve that let's you know someone's about to spawn.

Totakeke

I played six rounds. Didn't get to test the more intricate stuff. Quick impressions.

- First thing that I wasn't used to was the right analog stick being below the buttons, it did take a game or two to adjust
- I played on both the pro controller and the switch portable itself. The pro controller felt fine, but the switch with the joycons attached felt too heavy for the gyro movemements, and I did feel my hands were straining a bit after two rounds. It could be because of the security devices attached to it increasing its heft. But I also felt the buttons were a little bit too small coming from the Wii U. They didn't have a joycons only setup and I would be definitely interested to try that. So far the pro controller wins hands down.
- Definitely missed being able to glance down and see the map. I'm not used to switching to their on screen map for a quick glance so I'm holding my verdict on that. Also selecting jump points will require you to know which teammate is assigned to which button otherwise it feels you'll take too much time looking for it. You can move the analog stick to a point on the map as well, and it'll just jump you to the closest teammate even if there's only one alive at the opposite end of the map.
- I didn't get to test more intricate stuff like I said, but the ink usage and special meter filling felt about the same.
- If rumble hd was doing anything I definitely didn't feel it.
- There's no invulnerability on the jetpack special so you can get sniped off, also hovering over different heights felt a bit finicky. You hover a set distance over the ground so I think you want to use this on higher ground as more of a long distance weapon. Also you can't use this to access the opponent's base as it'll throw you back to your original spot when done. Didn't also seem to ink much area.
- The wail-like special on the charger turns super slowly, almost none at all. When I turned while using it, the camera rotated but the weapon didn't. So it feels like a wail with smaller area of effect. No clue about invulnerability.
- The multi-rocket special works as you expect. No clue if the range is set or how it is set.
- The splash on impact special on the roller... I dunno, it seems shitty. If you just activate it without superjumping first, you just do a quick slam on your spot. Seems best as an oh shit button when you're surrounded... as a roller? Maybe it'll pair better on a charger. This is compounded by I wasn't used to the on screen map. Unless I just want invulnerability on jump when I respawn (but you don't have special then), how do I tell when it's a good time to use this without constantly checking the map? Maybe if I see a battle ahead of me?
- Speaking of roller, the vertical splash while jumping feels like a huge nerf. You cover less area and the area to hit the enemy is also reduced. I definitely didn't like that I had to consider if I was jumping or standing while trying to hit an enemy. Maybe it'll just take some getting used to.
- Didn't spend enough time with the Dodge roll and the sniper charge to form opinions of it.
- The underneath of the bridge can be painted but you can't climb on to it, maybe some fancy acrobatics could reach it.
- The valve near the spawn point doesn't do anything afaik.

Otherwise it feels pretty much like the first Splatoon, same great gameplay holds as you expect. I did get high fives from my roller one game :p

I'll post more thoughts if I come up with any more.

Needham

I played six rounds. Didn't get to test the more intricate stuff. Quick impressions.

- The underneath of the bridge can be painted but you can't climb on to it, maybe some fancy acrobatics could reach it.

Hah, you actually tested this, thanks. Too bad, no surprise ninja death from above kills for me.

L95

I have a feeling you'd fall right out, in Splatoon 1's campaign there are some platforms that rotate, and you'd fall right out of your puddle if you stayed in as the platform turned upside down.

ChrisD

Splatoon 2 just isn't going to feel the same without Miiverse integration.

daaaang
didn't even think of that

I hope they implement an S- into Spla2n
I can get out of S pretty easily, even now after months of hiatus, but get my butt kicked in S+

I want a home ;-;

J@hranimo

Banned
I wouldn't rule out the social aspect just yet. The Switch does have the capability to take pictures and later record gameplay. They could develop their own system within the game itself.

Thanks for the impressions Totakeke. Splatoon 2 future is looking bright!

Jims

Does that new Splash Down special imply that Stealth Jump is dead in Splatoon 2?

Was thinking about how Splash Down could be used to get people who are camping people's jumps, as well as being a free (destructive) jump in Tower Control. But wouldn't this special be completely broken if combined with Stealth Jump? It would basically be a worse version of the old Stealth Jump Dynamo. It doesn't make sense to design a special like that into the game without a jump marker visible.

(Good riddance, if so.)

Jintor

I feel like a few of the additions are just disguised nerfs lol (well, adjustments). Like, the horizontal jumping roller splatbrush is to me entirely designed to stop fucking dynamo jumpers all day erry day or at least ensure that they have to aim instead of just blasting out waves of ink and hopping around like maddened flees. The jetpack inkzooker makes it so that it's incredibly clear that a certain inkling suddenly has a 1-hit KO weapon and everyone can try and gank them out of the sky.

J@hranimo

Banned
I feel like a few of the additions are just disguised nerfs lol (well, adjustments). Like, the horizontal jumping roller splatbrush is to me entirely designed to stop fucking dynamo jumpers all day erry day or at least ensure that they have to aim instead of just blasting out waves of ink and hopping around like maddened flees. The jetpack inkzooker makes it so that it's incredibly clear that a certain inkling suddenly has a 1-hit KO weapon and everyone can try and gank them out of the sky.

Yeah I definitely agree. I see the Ink Cloud as a more substantial inkstrike and the Inkray(?) Special goes through walls and requires more skill compared to the killer wail. That one Bomb Launcher from the trailer is definitely a rework of the bomb rush too.

Dynamo rollers will still have the option to do that. In Splatoon 2, if you jump, then flick, you get the roller slice. But if you flick, then jump (yes you can jump during your flick animation), you will do the regular flick, but be up in the air. The latter is how dynamos normally flick anyway.

I completely forgot about this too, but a Japanese roller demonstrated this and is quite good.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B12YvYaiF0PtUTk3VHctdDJBSmc/view?usp=sharing

If I could get the original tweet I would also share that.

The new specials just don't appeal to me. I also feel they're too much focused on killing besides the ink cloud (vaguely comparable to Inkstrike); meanwhile Splatoon 1 had more variety with area denial (Killer Wail), invincibility escape (Bubbler/Kraken), support (Echolocator).

Jintor

Dynamo rollers will still have the option to do that. In Splatoon 2, if you jump, then flick, you get the roller slice. But if you flick, then jump (yes you can jump during your flick animation), you will do the regular flick, but be up in the air. The latter is how dynamos normally flick anyway.

I completely forgot about this too, but a Japanese roller demonstrated this and is quite good.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B12YvYaiF0PtUTk3VHctdDJBSmc/view?usp=sharing

If I could get the original tweet I would also share that.

that player is damn good

The new specials just don't appeal to me. I also feel they're too much focused on killing besides the ink cloud (vaguely comparable to Inkstrike); meanwhile Splatoon 1 had more variety with area denial (Killer Wail), invincibility escape (Bubbler/Kraken), support (Echolocator).
Tbh I'm not going to miss the invincibility specials very much. The dev team might be able to balance them, but I don't blame them if they don't want to be up to the task.

Also not sure if there aren't any more specials to show. I would also like to see more support oriented specials, though that would also be difficult to balance around because they might be too toothless by themselves. An eliter can make much better use of echo than a custom jr can, and additionally doesn't need echo to be dangerous. Specials having killing power means every kit should be able to strongly contribute for a push.

Killer Wail's reincarnation seems to be the Sting Ray, which IMO is probably not going to be that great at getting kills either, and will probably be more for area denial as well. I don't recall if there's a warning on wind-up for the Sting Ray, but the beam moves very slowly, so it's not exactly a consistent killing machine.

Totakeke

Here's the original tweet https://twitter.com/arigato3taro/status/820123260293562370/video/1

This footage is wonderful. Nintendo get someone good to show off your games. The treehouse girl was BAD and this is just so much more entertaining to watch.

Some things to look at:
:21 - jump shot wide flick
:22 - prenerf roller edge damage?
:31 - glorious range shot length
:43 - that wouldn't kill in Splatoon

I don't think :21 is a jump shot due to the upwards ramp, but like CoconutTank said you could flick before jumping.

ChrisD

omg custom e-liters are still all dumb
nobody knows how to use beakons
i was complaining about this * last year how are people still so oblivious to their own kits

RedFyn

I didn't phrase that properly, the upward ramp makes it looks like he's gliding upwards rather than a very distinct jump, so he could have been on the ground when he started flicking.
Oh, in my post i was just saying that this is an example of a wide flick while in mid air. Just to show that its possible to flick and then jump and get the regular shot.

ChrisD

I've forgotten how much of a comfort food playing Blaster Control can be

It's so bad for your play because you get used to having the game aim for you, but hearing all the kills is too good lol

Ya'll saw Rig in the rotation last night right and that wasn't just a fever dream? I haven't played on that map in ages...of course it had to be paired with Museum though.

That Roller guy looks insane, Im gonna have to work on jump flinging. I've seen lots of good players doing that, but I've been relying mostly on rapid flinging with the Carbon Deco. I do still go to old faithful, the Krak-On occasionally but the speed differences are astounding.

ChrisD

If Carbon Rollers are still in, the plays by pros are going to be nuts. With how fast flicks are, you'll have horizontal kill flicks, verticals to chase and finish, and then whatever the sub is as well all being used in the span of like... a second.

ChrisD

Splatoon art book is at 36% off for pre-order.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/150670400X/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I swore off of buying games from Amazon for a bit after troubles with 'em, but for Books... Why not. Good price, thanks for the heads-up!

What do you guys think of the music?

Already said it in another thread, but I don't really like it so far. Feels low energy compared to the first.

Groovy like said above me is the right word for what you hear, I suppose. Not inherently bad, but it doesn't feel as good/fitting in fast-paced, teen punk paintgun battles.

mo60

One thing I hope for splatoon 2 is that the servers are able to handle slower but not super slow connections.My upload speed was causing me issues with the original game despite the okay download speed. Once I buy a switch splatoon 2 may be one of the first games I buy.

Robotguy

If Carbon Rollers are still in, the plays by pros are going to be nuts. With how fast flicks are, you'll have horizontal kill flicks, verticals to chase and finish, and then whatever the sub is as well all being used in the span of like... a second.
IDK about this having to aim jump flicks tbh, but the ability to hit people as the are retreating from a non-OHKO flick sounds nice.

Top Bottom