• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale '17 Hidden Gems & Under-The-Radar Recommendations thread

so.. Darkest Dungeon or Unexplored, which one should I go for?

Darkest Dungeon is awesome, but it's not exactly... relaxing ^_^

Maybe it's because I suck at this kind of game, but DD makes me very tense. I love it, but it's not something I play every day.

bonesquad

I'm tempted by Ziggurat, a rouge-whatever fps, should i buy it? Other (better)choices?

For what it's worth, I think Ziggurat is pretty good. I've had fun running through the game now and then. Or using the game to reminisce of days playing Heretic and Hexen. The game's not easy, unless you play on Easy:)

I'm not too aware of many other choices. Though recently I saw Immortal Redneck on Twitch. I ignored the game at first with its stupid ass name, but the game looks similar to Ziggurat with more of a progression system (in Ziggurat you unlock more power-ups and characters, but Redneck has permanent character upgrades too). I haven't played Redneck, but the game looks interesting.

Ozium

AcridMeat

Banned
Always love these thread, thanks for all the awesome posts. Before I get to my personal suggestion I haven't seen posted yet I want to back the Puzzle Agent games and Call of Juarez Gunslinger.

They really surprised me with how awesome of an experience they were.

Okay my suggestion is for Splasher ($11.24).
header.jpg

It's not a huge discount but it came out earlier this year. It's made by a small team of devs who worked on the recent Rayman games.

It's a 2D platformer with tight controls similar to Super Meat Boy, but with longer levels and more emphasis on speed running. It also has different liquid mechanics (water/sticky/bouncy) which gets added on as you progress. The soundtrack is good, it gets fairly challenging at the end and it was just super enjoyable, takes about 5-6 hours with more if you're a completionist/speed runner.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
For what it's worth, I think Ziggurat is pretty good. I've had fun running through the game now and then. Or using the game to reminisce of days playing Heretic and Hexen. The game's not easy, unless you play on Easy:)

I'm not too aware of many other choices. Though recently I saw Immortal Redneck on Twitch. I ignored the game at first with its stupid ass name, but the game looks similar to Ziggurat with more of a progression system (in Ziggurat you unlock more power-ups and characters, but Redneck has permanent character upgrades too). I haven't played Redneck, but the game looks interesting.

Thanks for the infos :)

Eridani

Has anyone played A House of Many Doors? It's 50% of right now and in the vein of Sunless Sea.

Rock Paper Shotgun also has an interesting review on it: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/02/03/a-house-of-many-doors-review/

I played it, and it's pretty good. The Sunless Sea inspiration is obvious, although the gameplay is much less punishing. Supplies aren't really a problem, there's no permadeath, there's a limited form of fast travel - things like that. It's also faster paced (there's not as much downtime where you're just slowly sailing around). The writing is not quite as good as Sunless Sea (it's clearly a one man passion project, and while his writing style has a lot of charm Sunless Sea is still in a league of its own), and the setting is much less consistent - the central premise is that you "Explore the House, a parasite dimension that steals from other worlds", as the Steam page puts it. This means that pretty much every city is it's own thing, and that the cities are vastly different from one another. I quite liked that, as it meant that every city had something new to offer, but if you're looking for a world that's as absorbing as the one in Sunless Sea, you won't really get it here.

My biggest problem with the game was that it had far too many Sunless Sea callbacks and references. I get that the dev was hugely inspired by Sunless Sea, but the game stands on it's own just fine, so those references felt pretty needles and kind of distracting to me. Overall though, it's a pretty cool game with a lot of content, and if anyone is looking for more Sunless Sea like games, this is a great choice.

Aaron D.

Speaking of House of Many Doors, I really need to give Sunless Sea another go.

Had it since launch but stalled out early after several failed starts.

Just can't get into the rogue gameplay part. It kills the narrative flow (which I love and why I bought the game).

How did Tower Unite fall so far under GAF's radar? Searched and there has been only one thread with two replies, and it was about the Kickstarter in 2015. First time seeing it.

I'm not sure how such a title could have escaped GAF's notice, but its the first game I've considered making an OT for. Or at least a thread at all. Only thing is it isn't officially released yet and may not be for a bit, so that certainly can skew impressions. There is certainly a lack of marketing on behalf of the team as well, but that may not happens until they feel they are closer to release.

Its especially odd considering how many people seem to remember Gmod Tower.

mazillion

I did a forum search and can't believe no one has mentioned Tower Unite is on sale. Unless of course they did and the search failed me, in which case let me add another voice of support.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/394690/Tower_Unite/

Tower Unite is a sort of community and minigame focused vacation sandbox that is the spiritual successor to GMod Tower from Garrys Mod. Its made by the same developers only now standalone and on the Unreal engine. Do keep in mind its an early access game, but frequently updated (updated again today with a whole new minigame) Its hard to categorize, and its easier to just briefly introduce some of the high points of what you can do in the game:

The game is $10 right now.

An MMO with no microtransactions - You get currency just by doing whatever you want (playing games or gambling, etc.) and its easy to accumulate. Currency is used to buy furniture for your suite, cosmetic items, or stuff to mess around with.

Minigolf - This game doesn't even have Minigolf in the title, and its arguably the best multiplayer minigolf on Steam. Beautiful levels with their own unique gimmicks and slick design.

Code:
[IMG]https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/111860152718897181/F7C1B0A2C10094B2C9772DFF217D0D1F1F38335A/[/IMG]

Interior Design - Tower Unite allows you to freely decorate and edit your own living space sort of like Animal Crossing, only with infinitely more freedom. Place and rotate furniture, add lighting or decoration, change the weather and time of day, place a TV that can play any youtube video or music, turn any flat surface into cat memes or ground textures from Metroid Prime or something, etc. You are given a suite for free by default but other unique living spaces like an underwater hotel can be bought with game currency. What is interesting is you can buy building blocks that can be formed into whatever shape, so the only limit is imagination and in-game funds.

This was an empty beach to start with:
Code:
[IMG]https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/844837477555656248/14256B5D87AA18C0FCD754EB99C2C6974BBF728A/[/IMG]

I can't even tell what suite this was to begin with its been modified so much:
Code:
[IMG]https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/849340940341303453/BC682D9C0E4728011763B7E6D0CA0C18E87A8171/?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|2048:1152&composite-to%3D%2A%2C%2A%7C2048%3A1152&background-color=black[/IMG]

Developer Transparency - You don't realize what a breath of fresh air this is. The devs are great, and not only do they do frequent developer streams/QAs, list their upcoming and current projects, but they literally type out what they worked on EVERY DAY.

Bowling, Super Monkey Ball, Lazer Tag, Trivia, Gambling (slots, video poker/blackjack, poker tables) - the list goes on.

Code:
[IMG]http://cloud-3.steamusercontent.com/ugc/276218383183765861/0235A084552E26DA5EA12D4E38D7D7089679E65F/[/IMG]
Code:
[IMG]https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/859473804655106124/F21A5BA461F21C1A6BA60A72A944B21D982E4035/[/IMG]
Code:
[IMG]https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/844836209916449982/B094BC7F05CA33299DB2B69D4BB29F40ADDB3C86/[/IMG]

I'm not sure if it is available to anyone who played, but if you at least donated to Gmod Tower back in the day you can import some net worth and unique trophies into Tower Unite.

I completely forgot this game existed!

I remember when it was first announced, i'm so glad it's coming along so nicely. I can't wait to try it out, thanks for sharing.

Skinpop

well, I bought unexplored. on my second character I got stuck in a room I couldn't exit, then the game froze and crashed.. not the best start exactly

Vinter

My first Steam sale in years as I finally got to build a new pc.

Spent about 150 euros. For once I actually only purchased games which I have hope of finishing though. Playing through Prey now actually. Was surprised to find out Arkane made Dark Messiah back in the day. I have very fond memories of that game.

Hmmm, Ziggurat looks fun... I wonder if the Nvidia 840M in my notebook can handle it without heat issues.

JB2448

I did a forum search and can't believe no one has mentioned Tower Unite is on sale. Unless of course they did and the search failed me, in which case let me add another voice of support.

Tower Unite is a sort of community and minigame focused vacation sandbox that is the spiritual successor to GMod Tower from Garrys Mod. Its made by the same developers only now standalone and on the Unreal engine. Do keep in mind its an early access game, but frequently updated (updated again today with a whole new minigame) Its hard to categorize, and its easier to just briefly introduce some of the high points of what you can do in the game:

An MMO with no microtransactions - You get currency just by doing whatever you want (playing games or gambling, etc.) and its easy to accumulate. Currency is used to buy furniture for your suite, cosmetic items, or stuff to mess around with.

Minigolf - This game doesn't even have Minigolf in the title, and its arguably the best multiplayer minigolf on Steam. Beautiful levels with their own unique gimmicks and slick design.

Code:
[IMG]https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/111860152718897181/F7C1B0A2C10094B2C9772DFF217D0D1F1F38335A/[/IMG]

Interior Design - Tower Unite allows you to freely decorate and edit your own living space sort of like Animal Crossing, only with infinitely more freedom. Place and rotate furniture, add lighting or decoration, change the weather and time of day, place a TV that can play any youtube video or music, turn any flat surface into cat memes or ground textures from Metroid Prime or something, etc. You are given a suite for free by default but other unique living spaces like an underwater hotel can be bought with game currency. What is interesting is you can buy building blocks that can be formed into whatever shape, so the only limit is imagination and in-game funds.

Code:
[IMG]https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/844837477555656248/14256B5D87AA18C0FCD754EB99C2C6974BBF728A/[/IMG]

Code:
[IMG]https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/849340940341303453/BC682D9C0E4728011763B7E6D0CA0C18E87A8171/?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|2048:1152&composite-to%3D%2A%2C%2A%7C2048%3A1152&background-color=black[/IMG]

Developer Transparency - You don't realize what a breath of fresh air this is. The devs are great, and not only do they do frequent developer streams/QAs, list their upcoming and current projects, but they literally type out what they worked on EVERY DAY.

Bowling, Super Monkey Ball, Lazer Tag, Trivia, Gambling (slots, video poker/blackjack, poker tables) - the list goes on.

Code:
[IMG]http://cloud-3.steamusercontent.com/ugc/276218383183765861/0235A084552E26DA5EA12D4E38D7D7089679E65F/[/IMG]
Code:
[IMG]https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/859473804655106124/F21A5BA461F21C1A6BA60A72A944B21D982E4035/[/IMG]
Code:
[IMG]https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/844836209916449982/B094BC7F05CA33299DB2B69D4BB29F40ADDB3C86/[/IMG]

I'm not sure if it is available to anyone who played, but if you at least donated to Gmod Tower back in the day you can import some net worth and unique trophies into Tower Unite.
Quoting this post in order to make sure this gets as much exposure as possible. It's a great time with friends, and it's something that could use all of the exposure it can get. I made a thread about the Kickstarter way back, but no one seemed to care at the time. Hopefully a few people here'll care now.

Aaron D.

well, I bought unexplored. on my second character I got stuck in a room I couldn't exit, then the game froze and crashed.. not the best start exactly

Left-side in-game menu, at the bottom...there's 3 orange buttons, the 3rd of which is Pray For Help.

Click it to get out of any bind of that nature. The game will unlock the door you're stuck behind, teleport you out of the room, etc.

I played it, and it's pretty good. The Sunless Sea inspiration is obvious, although the gameplay is much less punishing. Supplies aren't really a problem, there's no permadeath, there's a limited form of fast travel - things like that. It's also faster paced (there's not as much downtime where you're just slowly sailing around). The writing is not quite as good as Sunless Sea (it's clearly a one man passion project, and while his writing style has a lot of charm Sunless Sea is still in a league of its own), and the setting is much less consistent - the central premise is that you "Explore the House, a parasite dimension that steals from other worlds", as the Steam page puts it. This means that pretty much every city is it's own thing, and that the cities are vastly different from one another. I quite liked that, as it meant that every city had something new to offer, but if you're looking for a world that's as absorbing as the one in Sunless Sea, you won't really get it here.

My biggest problem with the game was that it had far too many Sunless Sea callbacks and references. I get that the dev was hugely inspired by Sunless Sea, but the game stands on it's own just fine, so those references felt pretty needles and kind of distracting to me. Overall though, it's a pretty cool game with a lot of content, and if anyone is looking for more Sunless Sea like games, this is a great choice.

Thanks for the impressions. I think I'll hold off purchasing this, I still have only a couple of hours into Sunless Sea so I can just play more of that.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Sold a ton of cards and now have about $8 and change to spend on the sale.

Not against spending above that, but I do have a lot of the very cheap obvious deals.
I'm leaning toward Wolfeinstein the new order, but I have heard that the Old Blood is very good too? Should I try and get both? I did enjoy DOOM, but my PC isn't exactly top of the line (970).

Or maybe I should just jump into Neir:A? With the discount + ~$8, the price seems like it is unlikely to get that low again for quite a while.

I love me some good story stuff. Both games seem like they have that. What do I do GAF?

Hmmm, Ziggurat looks fun... I wonder if the Nvidia 840M in my notebook can handle it without heat issues.

Let me rephrase that: any under-the-radar lightweight FPS games that will play nice with my modest notebook? A good single-player campaign is a must, I don't play online.

jimboton

Let me rephrase that: any under-the-radar lightweight FPS games that will play nice with my modest notebook? A good single-player campaign is a must, I don't play online.

The Turok remaster works very well on a GPD Win. Other likely candidates (which I haven't tested in notebook grade gpus but should run well enough) are Black Mesa and Singularity.

Skinpop

Left-side in-game menu, at the bottom...there's 3 orange buttons, the 3rd of which is Pray For Help.

Click it to get out of any bind of that nature. The game will unlock the door you're stuck behind, teleport you out of the room, etc.

clicking that button is what froze and crashed the game.

The Turok remaster works very well on a GPD Win. Other likely candidates (which I haven't tested in notebook grade gpus but should run well enough) are Black Mesa and Singularity.

Man, I'm a retrogamer and I've never played Turok... I might end up buying it, thanks!

Singularity is probably too much for my notebook, but it looks fun.

Eridani

Anyone here played Drakensang? Just curious on some gaffer impressions

Yes, quoting myself from earlier in this thread:

It's basically Neverwinter Nights 2. The setting is different and slightly less generic setting, which helps. The RPG rules are also slightly different, which is a welcome change from all the roughly one million DnD 3.5 RPGs out there. But apart from that, the gameplay is very similar, so if you ever wished Bioware still made games line NWN2 this is definitely worth a shot. The first game might also be worth a look, but the beginning of that one is so painfully boring and generic that I just couldn't get past it, so I don't know.

I really enjoyed The River of Time. The combat, characters, pacing and story are all good and I basically have no complaints about the game. It's a consistently fun and solid RPG. I'd recommend just starting with that over the first game, since the pacing of that at the beginning is really bad.

Striek

Bit of a long shot but are there any games on Steam like Azure Dreams? Been thinking about that a lot lately.

It was sort of rogue-lite with town-building aspects. Also monster collecting IIRC, but thats not so important.

zdenko1

Sold a ton of cards and now have about $8 and change to spend on the sale.

Not against spending above that, but I do have a lot of the very cheap obvious deals.
I'm leaning toward Wolfeinstein the new order, but I have heard that the Old Blood is very good too? Should I try and get both? I did enjoy DOOM, but my PC isn't exactly top of the line (970).

Or maybe I should just jump into Neir:A? With the discount + ~$8, the price seems like it is unlikely to get that low again for quite a while.

I love me some good story stuff. Both games seem like they have that. What do I do GAF?

Go for Wolfenstein. Along with Doom and Titanfall it's one of the best shooters in last few years. Nier: Automata is great but that discount isn't anything special. I would say wait for better discount, 40€ is still pretty steep and I got the game cheaper than that on release.

MaxiLive

Code:

Code:

Code:

Code:
Code:
Code:

I picked this up last night and was not disappointed by the first house I visited:

xwMo5aZ.jpg

Riptastic

EDIT - I see someone already explained the pray for help button.

My vote for this thread goes to Tales of Maj'Eyal.

I have over 50 hours of this beauty, highly recommended and is currently 66% off!

nbraun80

Seen alot of good games I would recommend in here already so I'll mention one I haven't seen yet.

Chroma Squad
ss_7b1d1407dcee63a99c94fc8c16eed430c1f8fd9a.600x338.jpg
ss_230cc7f789645e3f63516a712decaf8c111c3bd0.600x338.jpg

Chroma Squad is a turn-based strategy game(think XCOM-lite), with some management sim and rpg elements as well. How it works is you're basically starting your own Power Rangers show, you'll have to do some management things like choosing equipment to upgrade when you get money and picking a marketing firm. The RPG elements come into play with getting different gear that has different attritbutes and buying and crafting that, and selecting character skills. Once you do that the main gameplay with be shooting the episodes which is where you do the turn-based fighting. Very fun game with multiple endings, and the story is humorous, especially if you grew up watching this kinds of shows.

Harlequin

Ben and Ed - 3.99€ (60% off)
Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/y8DhHUG.jpg[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/Yud6YuS.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/6OyaD9H.jpg[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/84BYQPT.jpg[/img]

A challenging, morbidly funny 3D platformer in which you play a zombie who is forced to traverse trap-riddled, deadly obstacle courses as part of a game show. (And yes, you can continue playing even if your limbs have been chopped off :p.)

Dr. A

I recently came across Low Magic Age.

ss_c1e783b786c9141eb0cd4386fdf8709ca08af221.jpg

D&D styled, turn-based RPG. Currently in Early Access and only the Arena mode is available but combat looks fun and devs are working hard on a singleplayer campaign.

Loci

luUI4sh.png

Am I missing any good "small" quality games ?

And do I need the DLC for Darkest Dungeon?
It says it will improve the game immensely :s

Am I missing any good "small" quality games ?

And do I need the DLC for Darkest Dungeon?
It says it will improve the game immensely :s

You're missing quite a lot of them, based on that picture, but suggestions depend on what you're looking for. :)

BTA

Paint it Back $3.99 (50%) Steam Page

The best nonagram/picross game on Steam. All of the puzzles in the game are carefully crafted so there is no guesswork, only logic, and the difficulty ranges from simple 5x5 puzzles to 40x40 ones. And if the harder ones are too difficult, the game gives the option to break it into multiple puzzles instead of one large one. And if you want more, there is a randomized quick fix mode where you can play a quick 15 second puzzle, or a challenge mode where you can test yourself with time limits, no mistakes and not using X marks. The game has all the QOL features that you'd want from this sort of puzzle game, so it's extremely easy to jump into and play.

And on top of all this, there is the workshop where you can download tons of user-created levels.

I'll try to think of a few recs of my own for later, but for now: strongly seconding this. I spent a ton of time last summer with the iOS version as my introduction to Picross, and it spoiled me because now I really really miss its QOL features and control options when playing any other Picross app.

h#shdem0n

I want an action game with really deep combat. Can be indie or AAA, 2d or 3d. Any suggestions?

Edit: It must have gamepad support.

Top Bottom