• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale '17 Hidden Gems & Under-The-Radar Recommendations thread

Can any one recommend some good puzzle games ? I just finished the 3 HexCells games, bought SquareCells en thinking about buying The Witness or Lyne. But are there any other good games I should look at ? Something relaxing (no time limit)

Definitely definitely get the Witness.

Maybe on top of that

Please Don't Touch Anything - $2
header.jpg

The Room - $1.24
header.jpg

The Talos Principle - $10
header.jpg

I got a few games suggested in this thread and, after playing them for a few hours, I would like to recommend them too.

Massive Chalice: X-COM clone from Double Fine. I like it's simplicity and sense of humor, X-COM is too complicated for me. The twist is that years pass between each battle, so you must consider the traits of each character and arrange marriages between them so that you'll get stronger soldiers in the future. It's easy to play, but still deep enough.

Faerie Solitaire: Well, it's Solitaire, but with many extras for people that need a sense of progression (like me). There are challenges, items and even a plot. It's really great and really cheap, I'm loving it.

Paper Sorcerer: My favorite so far. It's a very stylish dungeon crawler. You play as an evil sorcerer that gets trapped in a book. The game starts very simple, with a single character, and as you progress, you summon new allies. There are many interesting classes available, including werewolves (can't use weapons, but are very strong) and vampires (that sacrifice their own HP to heal party members and drain HP from enemies to recover). The plot is surprisingly well written. Awesome game!

Sanctuary RPG Black Edition: A first-person, menu-based rogue-like with ASCII art. Combat is turn-based and, by the little I've played, it looks pretty deep. You use combos and have to move around when an enemy gets too close. I haven't played much because it looks complex, so I'm focusing on Paper Sorcerer first, but I'll dive into it later.

Faerie Solitaire: Well, it's Solitaire, but with many extras for people that need a sense of progression (like me). There are challenges, items and even a plot. It's really great and really cheap, I'm loving it.

Is it sad that this is probably in my top 10 favorite games on Steam? It is so basic but fun. Steam says I have 120 hours played and 100% achievements.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I still haven't picked up any gems yet, but I do love a good deal so I'll keep looking. I really want a story driven FPS or TPS (something like Metro Redux, Order 1866, Deux Ex without the stealth element) or a full blown story experience like Telltale or Edith Finch. Nothing super old or ugly, though, and no anime. Edith Finch was actually a GAFer recommendation and I gave it 10/10, so I'm hoping for lightening to strike twice.

ViviOggi

I still haven't picked up any gems yet, but I do love a good deal so I'll keep looking. I really want a story driven FPS or TPS (something like Metro Redux, Order 1866, Deux Ex without the stealth element) or a full blown story experience like Telltale or Edith Finch. Nothing super old or ugly, though, and no anime. Edith Finch was actually a GAFer recommendation and I gave it 10/10, so I'm hoping for lightening to strike twice.

Play Wolfenstein TNO yet?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Play Wolfenstein TNO yet?

Yeah, loved them both, that's the sort of thing I'm after. I grabbed Metro Last Light as I never finished it on PS4, got about half way and stopped for some reason but did enjoy it, plus I much prefer KB+M so at £3.74 it's a good rebuy.

Purkake4

Banned
NEO Scavenger 3.74€ (75% off)

It's a really minimalist (Fallout-like) CRPG with hardcore combat, some random elements and a fun story. Quite short once you figure out what you're doing.

Also a quite good hobo simulator as you walk around in "shoes" made out of rags and carry all your worldly possessions in a plastic bag that you hope to upgrade into a shopping cart with working wheels at some point.

TheChits

Yup. Used to be that you had to buy characters and sets online, or buy the toys and use codes to get them in game, but ever since they shut down Disney Infinity, they made all content available for no extra charge on the Steam versions. So this should be everything 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0 had to offer for only $15.

I only wish there was a modding community to keep adding to this platform.

Wow I did not know this. Buying immediately

Buckle

For anybody who is looking for more Monster Hunter or MH alternatives, recommend giving Toukiden Kiwami a shot.

Like God Eater, it has its on spin on things and a focus on an actual story but it also feels like it's trying to be more faithful to MH aswell with combat thats abit slower and has more impact.

Only up to chapter three but enjoying it so far. Has a pretty crappy discount for a four year old game though so I wouldn't blame anyone for turning their attention elsewhere in the summer sale.

BossLackey

Gold Member

On Sale $5.99
From the creator of Cave Story, Kero Blaster is a steal at $6. Think this game flew under a lot of people's radars, not sure why, as what I have played of it was really fun and well done. It has that Cave Story feel, the music, controls, etc...but it also feels like its own title. Definitely check it out if you're a fan of Cave Story or platformers in general.

This game looks so damn fun. It looks so reminiscent of the games I played on PC when I was really little.

NEO Scavenger 3.74€ (75% off)

It's a really minimalist (Fallout-like) CRPG with hardcore combat, some random elements and a fun story. Quite short once you figure out what you're doing.

Also a quite good hobo simulator as you walk around in "shoes" made out of rags and carry all your worldly possessions in a plastic bag that you hope to upgrade into a shopping cart with working wheels at some point.

Second this but with the caveat that the early game is fucking brutal even by normal rogue like standards. You will die A LOT for no other reason than bad rng with nothing that you could've done about it.

Binary Domain

FoxSpirit

Can anyone suggest/ does even know a good multi genre game? I'll take whatever crossover, but it should be distinctive parts ala Actraiser.

Ventara

Can anyone suggest/ does even know a good multi genre game? I'll take whatever crossover, but it should be distinctive parts ala Actraiser.

Not sue what Actraiser is, but maybe Recettear? The shop management and dungeon crawling are segmented and don't mix outside items.

Rhoc

How about Singularity if your into a awesome story with Time Travel elements.
Or Spec Ops: The Line a game which is not the generic military story which you expect from such a game. Awesome 6-7 hours campaign.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Binary Domain

How about Singularity if your into a awesome story with Time Travel elements.
Or Spec Ops: The Line a game which is not the generic military story which you expect from such a game. Awesome 6-7 hours campaign.

I'll look into them tomorrow, and I've already finished Spec Ops. Cheers boys.

Ventara

Is it sad that this is probably in my top 10 favorite games on Steam? It is so basic but fun. Steam says I have 120 hours played and 100% achievements.

I'll probably break through the 100 hour mark soon. This is the perfect game to play during work: I'm a professional translator, and when work is too boring, I translate for 10 minutes, then play something for 2 minutes and get back to work. I can see myself playing Faerie Solitaire for hours a day this way.

Dude thanks for the recommendations exactly my taste of games and cheap too.

You're welcome!

This game looks so damn fun. It looks so reminiscent of the games I played on PC when I was really little.

The creator of Cave Story makes awesome games. There is a very simple one called "Ikachan". I played it on the 3DS, but the PC version is probably great too, and it's freely available for download:

http://www.cavestory.org/pixels-works/ikachan.php

(it's a fansite, but it links to the binary in the official Japanese website)

You can beat it in an hour or two, but I went through it many times.

I still haven't picked up any gems yet, but I do love a good deal so I'll keep looking. I really want a story driven FPS or TPS (something like Metro Redux, Order 1866, Deux Ex without the stealth element) or a full blown story experience like Telltale or Edith Finch.

Binary Domain

I love Binary Domain. If you're into cyberpunk stories with a Japanese (and kind of cheesy) flavor, that's a good pick, because the game is fun as hell.

Space Ranger 2 HD: A War Apart. The best game you never played.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/214730/Space_Rangers_HD_A_War_Apart/

Wow, this looks great! Thanks for sharing it!

I did a forum search and can't believe no one has mentioned Tower Unite is on sale. Unless of course they did and the search failed me, in which case let me add another voice of support.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/394690/Tower_Unite/

Tower Unite is a sort of community and minigame focused vacation sandbox that is the spiritual successor to GMod Tower from Garrys Mod. Its made by the same developers only now standalone and on the Unreal engine. Do keep in mind its an early access game, but frequently updated (updated again today with a whole new minigame) Its hard to categorize, and its easier to just briefly introduce some of the high points of what you can do in the game:

The game is $10 right now.

An MMO with no microtransactions - You get currency just by doing whatever you want (playing games or gambling, etc.) and its easy to accumulate. Currency is used to buy furniture for your suite, cosmetic items, or stuff to mess around with.

Minigolf - This game doesn't even have Minigolf in the title, and its arguably the best multiplayer minigolf on Steam. Beautiful levels with their own unique gimmicks and slick design.

Code:
[IMG]https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/111860152718897181/F7C1B0A2C10094B2C9772DFF217D0D1F1F38335A/[/IMG]

Interior Design - Tower Unite allows you to freely decorate and edit your own living space sort of like Animal Crossing, only with infinitely more freedom. Place and rotate furniture, add lighting or decoration, change the weather and time of day, place a TV that can play any youtube video or music, turn any flat surface into cat memes or ground textures from Metroid Prime or something, etc. You are given a suite for free by default but other unique living spaces like an underwater hotel can be bought with game currency. What is interesting is you can buy building blocks that can be formed into whatever shape, so the only limit is imagination and in-game funds.

This was an empty beach to start with:
Code:
[IMG]https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/844837477555656248/14256B5D87AA18C0FCD754EB99C2C6974BBF728A/[/IMG]

I can't even tell what suite this was to begin with its been modified so much:
Code:
[IMG]https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/849340940341303453/BC682D9C0E4728011763B7E6D0CA0C18E87A8171/?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|2048:1152&composite-to%3D%2A%2C%2A%7C2048%3A1152&background-color=black[/IMG]

Developer Transparency - You don't realize what a breath of fresh air this is. The devs are great, and not only do they do frequent developer streams/QAs, list their upcoming and current projects, but they literally type out what they worked on EVERY DAY.

Bowling, Super Monkey Ball, Lazer Tag, Trivia, Gambling (slots, video poker/blackjack, poker tables) - the list goes on.

Code:
[IMG]http://cloud-3.steamusercontent.com/ugc/276218383183765861/0235A084552E26DA5EA12D4E38D7D7089679E65F/[/IMG]
Code:
[IMG]https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/859473804655106124/F21A5BA461F21C1A6BA60A72A944B21D982E4035/[/IMG]
Code:
[IMG]https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/844836209916449982/B094BC7F05CA33299DB2B69D4BB29F40ADDB3C86/[/IMG]

I'm not sure if it is available to anyone who played, but if you at least donated to Gmod Tower back in the day you can import some net worth and unique trophies into Tower Unite.

MaLDo

If you're playing at 30FPS either way does it matter? PC port has some issues anyways so why not?

They also might have the pro hooked up to a 4K TV vs the PC hooked up to a 1080p monitor.

They were already on the fence on picking it up for the pro, so there might be a reason.

No, you said

"Pick it up. Try it out at medium settings and see if you get 60FPS. If it's not good then just give it the ol' refund."

Your logic is "if you can't 60 fps in pc, then buy it on console to play at 30". Is a faulty logic.

Tizoc

As every sale, I recommend Rabi Ribi.

I would argue its better than Axiom Verge as a Metroidvania and has a really great Soundtrack.

The boss battles are bullet hell battles in a 2d game and the devs are developing even more content, bosses etc.

It also has a NG+ mode.

My favorite song from that game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOsA-I-lHgw

It really was my pesonal GOTY 2016.
Gonna get it this sale but if it appears in a bundle later, well thankfully steam tends to be coopeative at times ;p

thenexus6

Wow. Shadow Tactics is awesome!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/418240/Shadow_Tactics_Blades_of_the_Shogun/

I'm really impressed with everything so far. Level design, sound, art... Its great and I can't believe this slipped under my radar for more than half a year.

I have been interested in this game for ages never realized there was a demo until this thread.

Took me one hour to finish the first level, then a second one unlocks so its a pretty generous demo! I think the game is a ton of fun.

Xeroblade

I did a forum search and can't believe no one has mentioned Tower Unite is on sale. Unless of course they did and the search failed me, in which case let me add another voice of support.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/394690/Tower_Unite/

Tower Unite is a sort of community and minigame focused vacation sandbox that is the spiritual successor to GMod Tower from Garrys Mod. Its made by the same developers only now standalone and on the Unreal engine. Do keep in mind its an early access game, but frequently updated (updated again today with a whole new minigame) Its hard to categorize, and its easier to just briefly introduce some of the high points of what you can do in the game:

The game is $10 right now.

An MMO with no microtransactions - You get currency just by doing whatever you want (playing games or gambling, etc.) and its easy to accumulate. Currency is used to buy furniture for your suite, cosmetic items, or stuff to mess around with.

Minigolf - This game doesn't even have Minigolf in the title, and its arguably the best multiplayer minigolf on Steam. Beautiful levels with their own unique gimmicks and slick design.

Code:
[IMG]https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/111860152718897181/F7C1B0A2C10094B2C9772DFF217D0D1F1F38335A/[/IMG]

Interior Design - Tower Unite allows you to freely decorate and edit your own living space sort of like Animal Crossing, only with infinitely more freedom. Place and rotate furniture, add lighting or decoration, change the weather and time of day, place a TV that can play any youtube video or music, turn any flat surface into cat memes or ground textures from Metroid Prime or something, etc. You are given a suite for free by default but other unique living spaces like an underwater hotel can be bought with game currency. What is interesting is you can buy building blocks that can be formed into whatever shape, so the only limit is imagination and in-game funds.

This was an empty beach to start with:
Code:
[IMG]https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/844837477555656248/14256B5D87AA18C0FCD754EB99C2C6974BBF728A/[/IMG]

I can't even tell what suite this was to begin with its been modified so much:
Code:
[IMG]https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/849340940341303453/BC682D9C0E4728011763B7E6D0CA0C18E87A8171/?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|2048:1152&composite-to%3D%2A%2C%2A%7C2048%3A1152&background-color=black[/IMG]

Developer Transparency - You don't realize what a breath of fresh air this is. The devs are great, and not only do they do frequent developer streams/QAs, list their upcoming and current projects, but they literally type out what they worked on EVERY DAY.

Bowling, Super Monkey Ball, Lazer Tag, Trivia, Gambling (slots, video poker/blackjack, poker tables) - the list goes on.

Code:
[IMG]http://cloud-3.steamusercontent.com/ugc/276218383183765861/0235A084552E26DA5EA12D4E38D7D7089679E65F/[/IMG]
Code:
[IMG]https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/859473804655106124/F21A5BA461F21C1A6BA60A72A944B21D982E4035/[/IMG]
Code:
[IMG]https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/844836209916449982/B094BC7F05CA33299DB2B69D4BB29F40ADDB3C86/[/IMG]

I'm not sure if it is available to anyone who played, but if you at least donated to Gmod Tower back in the day you can import some net worth and unique trophies into Tower Unite.

I think I need this and I don't know why. Added to wishlist at least!

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to grab Singularity on @Rhoc's recommendation, it looks fun and well made. I tried the Binary Domain demo but wasn't sold on it so I'll skip that one. Need some more of these under £5 gems to stock up on. I have never done so many Steam queues in my life.

Purkake4

Banned
Second this but with the caveat that the early game is fucking brutal even by normal rogue like standards. You will die A LOT for no other reason than bad rng with nothing that you could've done about it.
Yeah, fight off another hobo just to die to eating some sketchy berries.

cereal_killerxx

So I'm looking for good games for $3 or less. Any suggestions?

Here's what I got in my cart so far:
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
A Story about My Uncle
Polarity
The Room
The Room Two

Ploid 3.0

I haven't bought anything off steam in a long time. What is good these days, loot, rpg, party rpg even better, with builds, and awesome tactical fights? I should just expect to wait on Divinity 2, or buy more slots and stash space in Path of Exile for the upcoming mega patch.

I could probably even give FFXIV another shot (sub no expansion), or start over in FFXI. All I do these days is play Marvel Heroes, Paragon, and Dragon Age Inquisition.

NotDigital

Neo Member
Thanks to everyone that recommended Xanadu Next. I had never heard of it and quite possibly never would have without this thread, but I've played a couple hours of it now and I'm really enjoying it.

Top Bottom