• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade demo launches on PS5 March 29, with save data carrying over to the full game

Skifi28

Mommy
QCKkmyd.jpg

Journalists are not supposed to do any research, they just spew their thoughts like bloggers.

Aenima

This egregious impudence - stealing here means 1:1 copy without proper repackaging/zero ideas - crept into big budget console games recently. Imagine a case where you steal the neighbor's cat and paint the poor sod in the process, but leave out its head. So it's the neighbor's cat with a pink body. Even the stupidest individual would tell it's Mr. Sausage.

The baffling thing, that this is published by Sony... Well, everything goes to shit :(.

Taking inspiration and blatantly lifting something - and also fucking up the stolen loot - is an entire different thing.

:messenger_poop:: Masteeer, I'm here! Returned from the scavenging mission!
:messenger_poop:: I've collected some diarrhea during my travels. If you want, I can activate it any time you are facing some big, bad, and ugly monster. Just don't take too much time, else I'll explode in your feacy face.
1*y2lekrtT7aPwMLP-2nEetA.png

Filben

My console is broken, waiting for repair. How is the Dualsense implementation of haptic feedback and adaptative triggers? Does it feel good?
It has good haptic feedback. The DualSense reacts to picking up items, rain drops, rough terrain like puddles and mud, and menu interaction. Adaptive triggers should be supported but in the standard control scheme you don't use L2 or R2 except for picking up items and interacting with objects.

yurinka

It has good haptic feedback. The DualSense reacts to picking up items, rain drops, rough terrain like puddles and mud, and menu interaction. Adaptive triggers should be supported but in the standard control scheme you don't use L2 or R2 except for picking up items and interacting with objects.
Cool, thanks

I love how the Block and Parry noise comes out from the controller speaker, very nice feedback method there

kikii

This egregious impudence - stealing here means 1:1 copy without proper repackaging/zero ideas - crept into big budget console games recently. Imagine a case where you steal the neighbor's cat and paint the poor sod in the process, but leave out its head. So it's the neighbor's cat with a pink body. Even the stupidest individual would tell it's Mr. Sausage.

The baffling thing, that this is published by Sony... Well, everything goes to shit :(.

Taking inspiration and blatantly lifting something - and also fucking up the stolen loot - is an entire different thing.

:messenger_poop:: I've collected some diarrhea during my travels. If you want, I can activate it any time you are facing some big, bad, and ugly monster. Just don't take too much time, else I'll explode in your feacy face.
wYOoSZp.jpeg

begotten

Combat is really great. The feedback on everything is satisfying as hell.

Game is pretty mediocre outside of it however. Uninteresting level environments. Basic puzzles and janky looking traversal.

Also the weeb slop music that was playing the whole time was annoying.

Demo reminds me of PS2 action game, god I missed these. Runs great and plays great. Devs aren't trying to punch above their weight, delivering what was promised.

Game looks and plays legit super awesome. They might just have made the best action game in a decade and without crap DEI and ESG stuff in it.

This game will sell gangbusters and a shining example for studios that want to be successful after all this forced DEI shit in their games.

Unfortunately already infected studios will die, but fortunately as we can see, new studios rise to restore the balance in the force.

Also game is super fun to play, and if anything is lacking within the current game industry it’s creating fun games, this game does everything right.

SCB3

I really liked this and pre ordered almost immediately, its like a better Bayonetta 3! The girls designs are really over the top, but hey if it works, it works

But I really have to ask, what is it with these combat designers and giving bosses/elite enemies these weird wind up attacks? You know the ones where they slowly wind up an attack and then seem to frame skip and attack faster than you'd think, its a weakness of mine that I cannot seem to handle them in any game and they seem to be more common post Sekiro, Lies of P was especially horrendous for this

I really liked this and pre ordered almost immediately, its like a better Bayonetta 3! The girls designs are really over the top, but hey if it works, it works

But I really have to ask, what is it with these combat designers and giving bosses/elite enemies these weird wind up attacks? You know the ones where they slowly wind up an attack and then seem to frame skip and attack faster than you'd think, its a weakness of mine that I cannot seem to handle them in any game and they seem to be more common post Sekiro, Lies of P was especially horrendous for this
Cos gamers got good at third-person bosses and simply speeding their up attacks to make things harder gets too ridiculous. Boss moves have to play with your psychology now. If you ever played Dark Souls 3, go back and fight the Nameless King. It's so easy now because attacks are so obviously telegraphed.

Last edited:

Garibaldi

Didn’t finish the demo because I don’t have much time and kind of didn’t care to.

The game suffers from the same issues most console games do for me.

Graphics mode is unplayable.
Balanced is decent.
Performance looks horrible.

Character is too close to the camera and FOV is too narrow. Neither can be adjusted. Maybe I’m just used to ultrawide but a camera distance or FOV setting would really help.

Gameplay seems decent.

Soundtrack is really good so far.

I’ll buy it if it comes to PC.
I'm kinda of the same opinion. I like it, but I'm not paying £70 for it when I can probably get a better version with better graphical options for 2/3rd of the price. Got plenty to be getting on with while I wait.

ssringo

Just wasn't feeling it the first time around. Came back later and finished it as well as the additional boss. It's good and I'm almost certainly gonna buy it but I'm not quite gelling with the combat. The parry in particular feels a little off to me. Like I need to parry slightly before what feels appropriate. Seeing so many say it's great is making me think my eyes and brain knows the correct timing but my hands reaction time is starting to be unable to keep up :(

And space out the camp a little bit more please. Nothing crazy, just a little bit of space between the chair and anything else.

Crayon

I like it so far. I'm not seeing it as a souls-like. There's clear influence but doesn't seem close enough to call it that.

The bonfire in ds is a good mechanic but it is essentially a type of expanded checkpoint. It being used as a mechanic doesn't automatically make stellar blade a souls game.

This music is beautiful. (I'm sitting in the camp.)

So far, I'll double down on my impression from seeing the demo before: this is closer to god of war than to souls, nier, or dmc. Spacing is easy and rewarding. Eve feels light but the attacks have surprising heft. Like either the sword is heavy or she's going with all her strength in every hit. I'd kinda like some sort of quick poke to play with but even the first hit of the light attack feels pretty committed, except that the dash cancels everything. Even mid-air attacks. I don't think it's invincible though? I'll check that out to make sure.

Within the scope of adventure-arpg fighting, this feels about as original as you can reasonably ask for.

The atmosphere is nier-ish, though. I appreciate that. The world is already fucked up, so no rush. There's an absence of urgency that makes it easy to wind down between fights.

Eve is not half the character 2B is, though. Eve seems to me like a pretty mannequin. 2B has you wondering what going through her mind. Eve, I'm wondering if she has a mind at all. If Eve has any personality, it's that she's kind of... vulnerable? That's not bad but at this early point, that's all I'm getting.

On the other hand, it's interesting that I don't feel like I'm a super badass in the beginning of the game here. Refreshing. Eve seems wimpy both in story and gameplay and I'm already looking forward to leveling up the character.

I like the skinsuit. It really shows off the meat physics.

It's common in Elden Ring too, they are playing with the timing to give you a challenge because if the windup and swing are always identical, you can always dodge perfectly 100%

This game even does the super Korean thing where boss attacks flash a color for you so you know exactly what type of attack it is, this is common in Korean games but uncommon in most Soulslike titles. This means you don't have as steep a learning curve in terms of learning each attack pattern, you can just react to the color flash. So they vary the speed and timing of the attacks themselves to compensate

Last edited:

RPS37

HDR seems broken (and therefore off by default)?
Button presses don’t seem to register often.
Game looks pretty great otherwise on Balanced.

SCB3

Cos gamers got good at third-person bosses and simply speeding their up attacks to make things harder gets too ridiculous. Boss moves have to play with your psychology now. If you ever played Dark Souls 3, go back and fight the Nameless King. It's so easy now because attacks are so obviously telegraphed.
It’s only this specific kind of move, it gets me every bloody time lol

And yea I’ve played every souls game, multiple times

Tommi84

In the training area, there's a wall and this wall allows you to move the camera a bit closer:

Dem jiggle ma jiggs. GOTY
ezgif-6-bc430028d6.gif

Last edited:
Alright, finished the demo, this is what I wrote after the SoP showcase:

Will be this generation's DMC/Bayonetta, mark my words. Needless to say, day 1. First 4 months of 2024 are absolutely *owned* by PlayStation 🔥

Edit: and shout-out to the jiggle physics and variety of outfits, Eve looking *real* good.

Yes, I'm correct on all counts lol, this will absolutely be this gen's Bayo/DMC with some Nier goodness thrown in for good measure. I don't get the Souls comparisons, not that vibe *at all* and I say that as an OG Souls fanatic. Love Eve, love the combat, love the enemy design, love the sense of style, love the OST, love Eve's stellar ass, this game is going to be *real* good. Balanced mode runs at a buttery smooth 60 FPS so why even have a performance mode (I always play in perf)?

Anyway, PlayStation *owning* 2024, can't wait 👌

Edit: forgot to add, DualSense haptics coming through once again, Helldivers 2, FFVII Rebirth, Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blades all have fantastic support 💯

Last edited:

Bojji

Boj, update :
You were right, in-game balanced mode + VRR for unsupported games option on the PS5 = almost guaranteed 60fps, this is the way , finally, a new game which doesn't feel like.it needs to be on more.powerful hardware to be enjoyed properly (FF16/Alan Wake 2/Dragons Dogma 2 etc).

Now, why the heck VRR works well/actually improves things with this while it does the exact opposite with AW2...fuck knows 😉

So it's probably on game to game basis, some will be better with forced VRR and some will be worse. In theory AW2 should be amazing with VRR as it drops to 50 - something FPS in many places, it should remain smooth on VRR screen. But Remedy probably fucked something up, this port is not great to begin with.

Felt alright, cutscene production values felt a little rough but not everything can be Sony AAA in that respect.

Probably helped that I have been playing GoT as of late, so controls and game rythm clicked right away. Probably not a day one purchase for me, though.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member

See, this is part of the problem - instead of focusing on how tight and focused the gameplay is, the stellar production values etc, we're, once again, putting focus on tits and asses, just the first few pages are full of horny and child-like posts/comments, and while some might say that it's on purpose as to fight the "woke" mob, this isn't the right way.

Game is good, it's a shame that most of its features and/or positives are going to be overshadowed by the usual juvenile drive-by posts and memes all over the internet.

Big fan of vaginas and of the fair sex here, it's just that... drooling over polygon models gets idiotic after a while, it was stupid with the Dead or alive games (played 'em all), it was stupid with the Tomb raider games back in the day (played 'em all), it was stupid with Nier Automata (finished it), it was stupid with Bayonetta etc etc, and it's not about having puritanical "values" either, it's just that, simply put, it's silly (not to mention another word).

And oh, it's not a dig towards your post man, I'm generally speaking about this whole obsession with digital T and A.

Cheers

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
With the subtitles on, you can see her name is in all capitals: EVE.
It’s not Eve. So is she maybe NOT human?
All caps means something-
I mean, her sidekick is spelled Tacky.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Oh shit. Sir, I'm so sorry for noticing this game does have a few blatant "souls like" characteristics. Please don't ban me ☹️
I was being sarcastic about banning, hence the “😂” after my comment. I understand where you are coming from, but you initially called the whole game a “Souls like”, and the argument is that people too often call a game with a couple of similar mechanics a Souls like, when Souls likes took some of their mechanics from other games as well. In other words, stop calling every game a Souls like just because a couple of the mechanics are a little similar. People will definitely call you out for it on Gaf.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member

Are you 13 years old?

Salz01

I like the demo. Seems like it’s going to be a great game. Just small announces. Like the grenade icon can’t be turned off in dynamic hud. It seems like a small oversight. Eve doesn’t seem to have that much of a personality, and not sure what the story is even about. Hope they patch in photo mode. Pleasantly surprised at the exploration and combat. It seems pretty meaty. I wish we would get more games like this. Glad Sony is helping this studio out. This game is just what I was waiting for.

skit_data

HDR seems broken (and therefore off by default)?
When I turn it on, black turn to grey.

edit: at least that seems like the menu is supposed to have blacks in it…I’ll see what it looks like in game.
Weird, something off on your TV or console settings then. This game does not have elevated black levels at all
I have the exact same issue, like I mentioned earlier in the thread. It's only an issue in very specific games.
I'm thinking it might have something to do with HGIG not being supported by the TV or something? I have a LG C8 and afaik HGIG isn't supported on it.

Edit: Actually might just have been my dynamic tone mapping setting being on, the games HDR looks more correct now that I turned it off. I usually have have dynamic tone mapping on because the sceeen just gets way too dark unless it's in the middle of the night.

Last edited:

khuezy

See, this is part of the problem - instead of focusing on how tight and focused the gameplay is, the stellar production values etc, we're, once again, putting focus on tits and asses, just the first few pages are full of horny and child-like posts/comments, and while some might say that it's on purpose as to fight the "woke" mob, this isn't the right way.

Game is good, it's a shame that most of its features and/or positives are going to be overshadowed by the usual juvenile drive-by posts and memes all over the internet.

Big fan of vaginas and of the fair sex here, it's just that... drooling over polygon models gets idiotic after a while, it was stupid with the Dead or alive games (played 'em all), it was stupid with the Tomb raider games back in the day (played 'em all), it was stupid with Nier Automata (finished it), it was stupid with Bayonetta etc etc, and it's not about having puritanical "values" either, it's just that, simply put, it's silly (not to mention another word).

And oh, it's not a dig towards your post man, I'm generally speaking about this whole obsession with digital T and A.

Cheers
Hey man, what's wrong w/ drooling over polygons? Isn't real life higher fidelity polygons?

Eiknarf

Banned
Strange that the game registers as Dolby Digital/DTS 5.1, but the dialogue doesn't come isolated out of the center channel (like all other current and previous gen games). They're not utilizing sound to the best of their ability.

Last edited:

gamer82

Tried demo last night but just couldn’t get into it, it feels so janky and traversal seems slow . I was hoping it was going it be more fast and fluid kinda like bayoneta for example and that parry dodge is brutal to time 🙄 may try it down the road but not day 1 to many other games

Top Bottom