• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

That countdown on the Geass Project twitter page from last Thursday? It's revealed to be a compilation film trilogy for the whole series. The whole cast will re-record their lines, and all three films will have new scenes in some form or another.

DFykt_tUAAAmAgQ.jpg

There will also be two spinoff light novel works this fall as well. One on Suzaku and Kallen not portrayed in the original story, and the other is an omnibus about six different protagonists affected by the main story.

Damnit, and here I thought there would be something brand new too after 10 years. Kind of wish our 2017 was like their 2017.

aPBqeCd.png

JCG

I guess this gives me time to catch up on Code Geass until the inevitable S3 lol.

I don't think it'll air before at least late 2018 , so there's certainly enough time. Or you may also choose to wait for these compilations to be released, assuming Funimation or someone else gets them, since presumably they are going to be more relevant for the sequel than the initial version of the story.

Line_HTX

I mean... if the Kabaneri S2 got confirmed after the 2nd compilation film came out, I guess they could confirm R3 after the 3rd film.

Cornbread78

I continue to be surprised that the whole currency setup has not led to students being bullied for their currency.

Whelp, since we now have a student threatening to cry rape over psychotic tendencies, I'm sure they will start to monetize that type of shit soon enough..

Dali

I think that's the main reason it gets praise - it's anime for people who don't like anime.

Maybe it's because I've watched a ton of good crime drama and thrillers that in comparison monster was garbage that couldn't keep me interested. I just felt on top of it not being particularly visually compelling its story wasn't very compelling either.

I've watched many anime that would work fine as live action and kept watching because the story was actually good. Can't group monster amongst them.

Mob Psycho 100

Ok so maybe I shouldn't have skipped this because of my hate for the look of the main character. While the story stuff was nice I was more into the animation than anything else. Show almost lives up to the immese praise it has gotten.

Course I may have also enjoyed it more than I would have because I watched it with other people...

Theonik

Imagine cross ange on twitch

Mob Psycho 100

Ok so maybe I shouldn't have skipped this because of my hate for the look of the main character. While the story stuff was nice I was more into the animation than anything else. Show almost lives up to the immese praise it has gotten.

Course I may have also enjoyed it more than I would have because I watched it with other people...
Mob Mob What Do you Want Mob Mob

That countdown on the Geass Project twitter page from last Thursday? It's revealed to be a compilation film trilogy for the whole series. The whole cast will re-record their lines, and all three films will have new scenes in some form or another.

DFykt_tUAAAmAgQ.jpg

There will also be two spinoff light novel works this fall as well. One on Suzaku and Kallen not portrayed in the original story, and the other is an omnibus about six different protagonists affected by the main story.

Damnit, and here I thought there would be something brand new too after 10 years. Kind of wish our 2017 was like their 2017.

aPBqeCd.png

Should have been 4 movies. Come to america theaters nationwide, fathom events.

I remember I stopped watching Code Geass long ago so I am gonna start from the beginning since I forgot some stuff and don't know where I left off.

However, if there is one thing I fondly remember it's the amazing first Opening Jibun Woo. Shit is such a classic, but then comes the second Opening. Like wtf how can you go from an amazing first Opening to this trash one. I don't skip Openings most of the time, but I remember doing it for the second Opening of Code Geass lol.

Just T

Sakura Quest: 12

That guy's assessment is off, Yoshino deserves some props. She changed a good bit since coming to Manoyama and helped out the others along the way of their changes while genuinely trying to help the town.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So I finally saw Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie Part III: Rebellion the other day.

This certainly answers the question why most shows only tease yuri relationships, but never actually go through with them. The consequences can be dire.

No Game No Life Zero Movie PV Trailer

https://youtu.be/9ST8O7d598M

Also the AnimeNewsNetwork review of the movie said the movie has no fan service like the TV series and that it's tonally different. Basically its better than the TV series.

Now this is surprising because I found the TV series to be very enjoyable, but it did have some questionable fan service. So seeing this movie not have it should be a good thing.

Edit: Makes me excited to see it.

So I finally saw Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie Part III: Rebellion the other day.

This certainly answers the question why most shows only tease yuri relationships, but never actually go through with them. The consequences can be dire.
Yeah rewriting the universe to ensure your crush is always in the palm of your hand seemed a little extreme.

kewlmyc

No Game No Life Zero Movie PV Trailer

https://youtu.be/9ST8O7d598M

Also the AnimeNewsNetwork review of the movie said the movie has no fan service like the TV series and that it's tonally different. Basically its better than the TV series.

Now this is surprising because I found the TV series to be very enjoyable, but it did have some questionable fan service. So seeing this movie not have it should be a good thing.

Edit: Makes me excited to see it.

Wait, it's already out?

I'm pretty sure that they only had a panel with some of the staff there, and not the actual movie itself. I presume ANN probably sent someone in Japan to watch it in theatres there now that it's on general release.

Oh okay thanks for the info.

Hopefully its released in the West.

Edit: I would kill for a season 2.

JulianImp

Also started Haibane Renmei on CR, and it's been pretty nice so far. I like that it has a way more subdued pacing after the high-stakes wild ride that was Code Geass.

Jintor

tsuredure children 04

lmao the pair that just can't accept anything vaguely romantic and try and joke it away are hilarious

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
For those watching Mahoujin Guru Guru (2017), how is the remake in comparison to the original? I liked the original a lot. Did they keep the Dragon Quest sound?

For those watching Mahoujin Guru Guru (2017), how is the remake in comparison to the original? I liked the original a lot. Did they keep the Dragon Quest sound?

Yes, there is also no fillers left so the pacing is way faster now.

EP4 spoiler
They already beat the first boss in episode 4.
Which took like forever in the original show.

e_i

Gamers! episode 3

Is this a romcom or a story about a gaming club. Now that everybody been introduced, they'll get the game club stuff.

Reading up on the new Eureka Seven movies...

The other major new addition in Eureka Seven Hi-Evolution I is the inclusion of pop-up text detailing the history of nearly every character, location, and piece of technology that appears on screen. This is included in both the new sections of the film as well as the recap sections. On one hand, this means that many massive plot spoilers for the TV show are shown right up front. On the other, it gives a little bit more depth to the world for anyone with a deep interest in Eureka Seven’s lore.

...That's such a weird addition...

Baalzebup

Seriously. I'll have to end up reading what would be the third season if I can every figure out what volumes they are and if they are affordable..
I didn't see a reply to this and I like to spread the Spice & Wolf novel love, so here:
The first season covers volumes 1 and 2. Then they magically skip the 3rd one for some reason and season 2 covers volumes 4 and 5. Can't help with the affordable part doe :p

SOLDIER

Yeah rewriting the universe to ensure your crush is always in the palm of your hand seemed a little extreme.

It's incredible how the fanbase latches onto this as "the right choice" and how it cements their love.

while simultaneously ignoring the delicious irony of Sayaka being set up as the one to stop Homura.

I often can't tell if the continued marketing is meant as satire or not, since it plays off the relationships as (no pun intended) perfectly straight.

I wrote about this because I ended up watching both first episodes back to back:

Mahoujin Guru Guru (2017) 1

Mahoujin Guru Guru (1994) 1

Old anime really is better.

But seriously, I find I do prefer the 1994 anime's take on the material. It's interesting, if not unexpected, how different the two anime feel. 2017 has a very contemporary approach to comedy: extremely hyperactive, extremely loud, completely in-your-face. As is not surprising from Ikuo Geso, it feels akin to Imaishi's style of humor cultivated at Gainax and Trigger despite a softer and rounder base aesthetic inherited from the source material. It has the same fondness for manic energy, and similar animation shortcuts such as characters being slid or bounced instead of genuinely animated at times (though I should say there's moments of strong animation in 2017 as well). The incorporation of pixel art is a nice way to pay homage to the 8-bit RPGs that the series is riffing on, but it also feels rather aggressive in its stylistic switches.

Meanwhile the 1994 anime is much more relaxed in its comedic pacing, which I find more bearable. While I like Asano's 2017 character designs a bit better than the 1994 designs - they're ever so slightly better shaped - I like the overall aesthetic of 1994 better, especially with its backgrounds that conjure up a classic Disney cartoon. It's got a children's storybook vibe, especially due to the placid female narrator patiently interjecting at various points to move the story forward or simply punctuate jokes. Meanwhile, the 2017 anime feels more like someone scrubbing through a story on a smartphone. In some sense, the 2017 anime is the Half-Minute Hero to 1994's Dragon Quest.

Both anime are well made, to judge from their first episodes, but the 1994 anime is simply more appealing to my tastes.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I wrote about this because I ended up watching both first episodes back to back:

Thanks! Some of that write up was what I was worried about. I'll watch it and let you know what I think in comparison to the old one. I only ever watched the classic one last year, so it's not like I'm going to have nostalgia blinders on.

Cornbread78

I didn't see a reply to this and I like to spread the Spice & Wolf novel love, so here:
The first season covers volumes 1 and 2. Then they magically skip the 3rd one for some reason and season 2 covers volumes 4 and 5. Can't help with the affordable part doe :p

That's all they adapted? There are 17 volumes total?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom