• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

Even though these two have zero chemistry right from the get-go, Escaflowne keeps pretending that they might be a thing
long after the audience knows they won't.
In the end all the teen drama feels like a way to pad out the show when all I really want is to see is medieval mecha bashing each other with huge swords.

Huge parts of Escaflowne would have far less emotional impact if it weren't for the shoujo romance elements. The entire middle of the series is constructed around them as a significant plot motivator, and the fact that the audience knows the outcome is absolutely key to the show's dramatic effect.

I've mentioned before that Escaflowne episode 19 is probably my favourite episode of anime of all time (alas, Photobucket has destroyed my five year old post and I haven't gotten around to reuploading the images anywhere else), and that's almost entirely constructed around its romantic elements.

Hopefully the movie does well for No Game No Life so we can get a season 2.

Its really surprising too since its Blu-ray/DVD sales did well especially for Madhouse.

SMH at all you people.

Why can't you make like Vald and watch Turn A Gundam?

Why does nobody else watch Turn A Gundam in here?

How many other people even acknowledge Turn A's existence?

e_i

SMH at all you people.

I have my Blu-rays sitting on my PS4 at home, waiting to be watched.

Restaurant Isekai 6

breh we're 6 episodes in and the black haired elf girl that is supposed to be the second server still hasn't shown up lmao. This doesn't look like it'll be more than 12-13 episodes. For a character that gets poster/OP screen time it's a bit silly. Looks like
she only now will show up in ep 7

SMH at all you people.

Turn A was a real slog to get through and I'd never recommend to anyone who didn't have the deepest of love for the franchise.

SkyOdin

SMH at all you people.

I bought the English subbed DVD release for the first half, but I only watched the first 13 episodes so far. I've been distracted by other shows. I did enjoy what I saw of those 13 episodes though. They had what was probably the most realistic politics I have seen in a Gundam series.

The Three Episode Rule...

I have to disagree with the premise set in the video. It argues against the rule because he makes the argument that the rule (implies?) that you have to watch every show and that isn't really the rule nor is it the rule's problem. If you want to watch every show every season and adhere to the three-episode rule then, yeah, you may get a little burnt out but that is your own problem.

Most people, like myself, use the rule on shows they start on their own volition—because they interested me in some way—and watch a show up until episode three to "give it a chance."

If you're using that rule and plan to watch every show in a season then that sounds like more of a personal decision to me. That's not what I do.

In closing, the three episode rule is a good rule and is fine as is. It shouldn't be rethought just to conform to that small minority of the community who watches absolutely everything. If it is that tough for you then just don't adhere to the rule. Don't redefine the rule or state that it is a useless rule. Some of the best shows I've gotten into is because of the rule. Most recent example being Gamers.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
SMH at all you people.

My excuse is I watched Xenoglossia as my first ever Gundam show. Kind of hard to watch anything else when you've already experienced the best the franchise has to offer.

Jarmel

Banned

This is an amazingly stupid video. The whole reason the Three Episode Rule was set up is because that's usually the opening arc of the show and has the highest production values. Drops in quality generally come in around the fourth episode and so if you've seen the show at its peak and still don't like it then it's likely not worth your time. First episodes by themselves can be disingenuous either on a plot/tone perspective or production quality. Also who the fuck does the Three Episode Rule for every goddamn show in a season? It was always meant to imply to shows that you might be interested in or had heard good things about.

Also this joker is talking about how Cowboy Bebop isn't that good until Episode 5 when all the early episodes were fucking fantastic and the show is generally episodic and so the earlier episodes were more representative of the tone of the show. The Three Episode Rule didn't fail for Bebop, he failed instead.

Anime, and most shows really, usually declines as it goes along.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yeah, he overly complicates it and also acting like it's a rule for every new show. Nah son, it's just simple a rule for any show you've decided to check out - including old shows people may have recommended to you. That filter of a filter line in nonsense. It's not a filter.

It's basically just about giving a show a fair shake without investing too much time. Nothing more, nothing less.

Jarmel

Banned
First three episodes of Bebop:

1.Bloody Eye/Spike Introduction-Great
2.Ein Introduction-Great
3.Faye Introduction-Great

fuck off

Kyuur

Also this joker is talking about how Cowboy Bebop isn't that good until Episode 5 when all the early episodes were fucking fantastic and the show is generally episodic and so the earlier episodes were more representative of the tone of the show. The Three Episode Rule didn't fail for Bebop, he failed instead.

I haven't watched Cowboy Bebop (well, I tried the first episode and didn't really enjoy it, maybe I should have given it 3 lol) but by your comments that it is 'generally episodic' is there some sort of multi-episode arc that starts around that point? If so, its perfectly reasonable for someone to say "that's when it gets good". Not everybody enjoys episodic/monster of the week/etc type content. I loved Samurai Champloo but if it didn't have the overarching story later on I wouldn't be so quick to recommend it.

Jarmel

Banned
I haven't watched Cowboy Bebop (well, I tried the first episode and didn't really enjoy it, maybe I should have given it 3 lol) but by your comments that it is 'generally episodic' is there some sort of multi-episode arc that starts around that point? If so, its perfectly reasonable for someone to say "that's when it gets good". Not everybody enjoys episodic/monster of the week/etc type content. I loved Samurai Champloo but if it didn't have the overarching story later on I wouldn't be so quick to recommend it.

There's like maybe 5 or 6 episodes total that are part of the longer narrative with Vicious. There's Ballad, Jupiter two-parter, and the finale two-parter. The show is almost entirely episodic.

If you absolutely despise episodic content then you'll despise Bebop.

Cowboy Bebop has a bit of an overarching plot, that mostly comes into play at the middle and end of the series, but most of its episodes have nothing to do with that. Samurai Champloo has much more of an overarching story.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Never understand the disliking for episodic content. I know, different strokes for different folks, but seems like a weird thing to dislike - it's just stories told within the length of one episode rather than stretching it across lots.

Hoozuki no Reitetsu 04

bw1IIas.jpg

me if i worked in Hell

Never understand the disliking for episodic content. I know, different strokes for different folks, but seems like a weird thing to dislike - it's just stories told within the length of one episode rather than stretching it across lots.

Yep, it's my own reasoning too.

Deep down, the truth is that some people don't really care that much for the stories themselves, and instead they specifically want the 'serial' elements, the stuff that usually is in the long stories done by episodes: the cliffhangers at the end of the episodes, the romance polygons, the twists at the end of the season, cheer-leading your favorite character that you get to know as friends, the shipping, the mysteries that get a bit solved but at the same time get deeper, etc.
It's kind of addictive.

This is an amazingly stupid video. The whole reason the Three Episode Rule was set up is because that's usually the opening arc of the show and has the highest production values. Drops in quality generally come in around the fourth episode and so if you've seen the show at its peak and still don't like it then it's likely not worth your time. First episodes by themselves can be disingenuous either on a plot/tone perspective or production quality. Also who the fuck does the Three Episode Rule for every goddamn show in a season? It was always meant to imply to shows that you might be interested in or had heard good things about.

Anime, and most shows really, usually declines as it goes along.

Exactly. Bringing up the fact that for someone who is watching everything every season that the rule doesn't work kind of goes against the premise of the rule in the first place. The rule never dictates that the watcher must watch everything. It is just a rule in place to give a show a fair shake and time to give the story room to breathe before ultimately deciding to stay with it or drop it.

Who even setup/invented the three episode rule.

I did.

From my understanding it was a general rule that was generally accepted among the larger anime community. I used the rule before I joined any community so maybe it's just the human psychology of being attracted to threes.

It's beautiful!

They have given us so much! :D

Episodic stories are good.

They're the worst...except in Bebop's case.

I find it funny you guys are upset at GR "The Ending is Paramount" Arkada's opinion that the episodic, character-building opening episodes of Bebop would be considered inferior in comparison to the central plot about Spike and Vicious. I can't say I'm surprised by his opinion, even if like you guys I disagree with it (not like I've paid attention to Arkada's opinions since I started watching and writing about anime myself).

That said, the tone of this video is really odd; it feels like he's talking to other YouTubers rather than his audience (really, who else would watch three episodes of EVERY SHOW EVERY SEASON). His comment about it being stupid to have multiple filters to weed out the best shows each season is dumb, though. How many resources do all of us use to filter out what we watch? From previous shows we've seen by certain studios, directors, animators, authors, to impressions here, synopses and/or on MAL or equivalent sites, YouTubers impressions, the list goes on.

Line_HTX

I'm sorry but that video is woefully and dreadfully wrong. There are no downsides to episodic content as it's a good way to explore some characters further and how they develop. Very disappointing coming from that Youtube user.

Here's an idea. Don't watch anime youtube.

Just don't.

You want to learn stuff about anime industry? Read some blogs or something, I dunno.

Just stay away from anime youtube.

SMH at all you people.

Turn A Gundam is really interesting. I don't know that I like it all that much, I've never been a fan of Tomino's style outside Char's Counterattack and the Original Gundam (specifically the trilogy) but I am enjoying watching this weird, supposedly future world unfold.

It also feels like the general bizarre world of Turn A Gundam better fits Tomino's style and characterization. Normally I have issues with the way people behave and express themselves in Tomino Gundam, but the odd behavior almost fits here.

Three Episode Rule/Episodic Content Etc.:

So. I didn't watch the video, nor do I care to, I rarely watch youtubers thoughts on anime, but I personally don't work by the rule of three. Part of that's for reviews, it;s impractical to watch every show for 3 episodes. Instead I watch 1 Episode, write a preview, and then reevaluate my thoughts 6 episodes in.

But I also don't agree with it entirely for casual watching. I strongly feel that first episode needs to be good. It needs to have a hook and suck you in. It doesn't have to be amazing, it just has to be decent. I think it's silly to do three episode rule for say, something like The Reflection, if you're already feeling like your time is wasted and you're not enjoying the series. So I don't really ascribe to the idea that if you've tried a show you're 'locked in' for three episodes. I mean, if the three episode rule works for you that's great, but I think people should feel they can nope out at any time.

Edit 2: I forgot to actually talk about Episodic Content:

As for Episodic anime I don't have any issues. I understand the appeal for a serialized story, and personally generally prefer those, but yeah, Episodic can be wonderful too and not every story needs an interwoven connecting narrative.

John Blade

My re-watch of Gundam Wing starts today!

The best Gundam for it's time. Without this show release in North America, we won't be discussing about it and the franchise for the most part (unless you're those hard core fans who manage to get the show from Japan with the fan sub on VHS).

I like The Canipa Effect as far as informative videos are concerned.

DemoD for the humorous ones that still pack a decent chunk of substance. Well, he hasn't posted any video in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom