• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

School Rumble ep.16-22
WmIfksc.png

hIKwtJx.png
There was somee excellent episodes in here following the Harima/Airi/Tenma/Yakamo storylines & misunderstandings with some progress finally being made. Then the show took a weird turn and felt like it included several nonsense "filler" episodes that weren't even funny...

Oh well, on to the home stretch.

moogs

Neo Member
THE iDOLM@STER: Cinderella Girls 1

These are the best aesthetics I've seen in a while. But the transitions between scenes are rather abrupt, as if overly enthusiastic about advancing the narrative. Perhaps it's a result of cramming the content into an arrangement of a different format. Although the pacing of the story is slightly too eager, the soundtrack is exceptionally crafted, efficiently utilized, and suitably relaxed. The direction of sound and design really breathe life into the scenes, creating a pleasant atmosphere. It's refreshing to see characters that properly inhabit their settings.

Rankings: 1. Uzuki; 2/3. Producer and Rin; 4. Mio

Geist-

Princess Principal 05

I usually try to avoid "Cute girls doing violent things" anime, but I have a weakness for alternate reality industrial revolution settings and it helps that the animation in the action scenes are really, really good.
tumblr_ouahs7lwMt1syeyvqo1_500.gif

tumblr_oua31fTREm1u42o35o3_400.gif

Slice of Life shows are episodic? Dunno about that. Usually they follow arcs or are one continuous string in a story. You can't just drop into the middle of a SoL show and be like "Yup. I totally know what is going on here."

Here's an idea. Don't watch anime youtube.

Just don't.

You want to learn stuff about anime industry? Read some blogs or something, I dunno.

Just stay away from anime youtube.

Gigguk is pretty funny and right most of the time with his "TOURNAMENT ARC" and "Anime is trash and so am I" shenanigans. :p

Meh, Gigguk is kind of funny a little and that's the only one.

He makes some good content. Too bad it is sort of sporadic. GlassReflection is usually alright too on occasion. Just...this time he was woefully wrong.

DemoD for the humorous ones that still pack a decent chunk of substance. Well, he hasn't posted any video in a long time.

Now I am sad. His Kyoukai no Kanata review was hilariously amazing... :,(

Cornbread78

Blue Gender ep.11-12
Seriously, fuck this world. Everyone sucks.... Yuji should have stayed with the nomads... These pampered space humans have no humanity left and it's annoying to watch. Yuji is going to come back as a Blue or an android, isn't he...

John Blade

Blue Gender ep.11-12

Seriously, fuck this world. Everyone sucks.... Yuji should have stayed with the nomads... These pampered space humans have no humanity left and it's annoying to watch. Yuji is going to come back as a Blue or an android, isn't he...

This is why I try to avoid this anime show. I heard quite a few stuff which make me want to avoid it not because it's a bad show but it's very depressing show to watch and I need to stop looking for those now.

Look like I am going to try to watch Mars Day Break. Too many personal stuff happen too quickly and kinda need something to watch now. Hope this show will get me back to get through my backlogged of show.

Cornbread78

Love and Lies ep.6

Government propaganda at it's best, however, it this episode starts to introduce the consequences of the route Yukari wants to take and he is being forced into taking action..

On a philosophical level, this show just took a giant step forward. I mean, what is tge "right" thing to do? I mean, is there a "right" thing in this situation for himself or Ruri?

On a social/goverment level, this kind of society is scary shit...

Either way, next week should be pretty intense.

Anime YT also contains top 10 videos.

These videos tend to kill my soul.

And let's not forget the: "Funny moments"

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam - 33

I dunno why you wouldn't want to form an alliance with a woman with a face like this.

I mean, it sure seems like it'd be a better alternative than becoming enemies with her and having her join up with your enemies!

John Blade

Why they is a talking cat and dolphin in this show? Other than that, liking the show so far in this 1st 2 episodes. Look like they is a big connection between the two MC in the show from their past. Going to be interesting to see where it goes to.

Just T

Sakura Quest: 15-16

Really not feeling the new opening at all. Neat episodes though, Got a little flashback in there, Ririko has a good chance of traveling once they wrap this up and seems like the festival is the final goal.

JulianImp

Haibane Renmei - up to #8 (I think)
I really like how calm the show is, and also how plot elements are being introduced over time while still keeping some things under wraps, instead of having any one character just give Rakka an infodump and calling it a day. Looks like there won't be too much time to flesh several characters out before the show actually ends in just a couple more episodes, but even then I like how things are going regarding Reki and Rakka, and some of the minor characters that surround them such as the librarian were pretty decent.

The lack of random mood whiplash is also pretty nice, and has helped remind me that you don't necessarily have to throw cheap jokes in between more serious moments, and that things are actually better off for it most of the time.

Cornbread78

Baccano ep.9-10
To say this show is fucked up would be a huge understatement. There still really isn't one cohesive plot outside of lots of people killing, only some dying...

Maria & Issac and their eccentric personalities and activities are the best part of the show so far...

Kickz

School Rumble ep.16-22

There was somee excellent episodes in here following the Harima/Airi/Tenma/Yakamo storylines & misunderstandings with some progress finally being made. Then the show took a weird turn and felt like it included several nonsense "filler" episodes that weren't even funny...

Oh well, on to the home stretch.

They do love their tangents lol, but they always keep it somewhat interesting.

Cornbread78

They do love their tangents lol, but they always keep it somewhat interesting.

Yeah, the side stories/short skits they were showing were completely unrelated to the main plot or even any notable characters, lol.

Not sure how they are going to end this in 4 episodes..

Kickz

Yeah, the side stories/short skits they were showing were completely unrelated to the main plot or even any notable characters, lol.

Not sure how they are going to end this in 4 episodes..

Its been awhile but for the end you may need to read a few manga chapters, but I may be wrong on that.

petran79

Banned
Blue Gender ep.11-12

Lets just say that later on humanity roles get reversed

blurr

THE iDOLM@STER: Cinderella Girls 1

These are the best aesthetics I've seen in a while. But the transitions between scenes are rather abrupt, as if overly enthusiastic about advancing the narrative. Perhaps it's a result of cramming the content into an arrangement of a different format. Although the pacing of the story is slightly too eager, the soundtrack is exceptionally crafted, efficiently utilized, and suitably relaxed. The direction of sound and design really breathe life into the scenes, creating a pleasant atmosphere. It's refreshing to see characters that properly inhabit their settings.

Rankings: 1. Uzuki; 2/3. Producer and Rin; 4. Mio

Oddly, it becomes a different show in season 2 in terms of certain themes, tone and writing but it's where the show stands out for me. Season 1 feels like a hit and miss but there's some good moments. It's kind of why I don't openly recommend it as much as I want to.

Totally agree with the rankings but just wait until more of the idols are introduced.

duckroll

The Dragon Dentist

Finally got around to watching the TV movie thing they made out of the short. At first I thought it was a sort of reboot, but it turns out to be a continuation with a lot more context. I really liked it. It had a lot of the elements I enjoyed in the short - a weird but interesting setting, a story that doesn't wrap itself up neatly but you always know what it is trying to say, and a great mix of fantasy and period historical stuff. The production values were top notch, and aside from some of the dragon CG being more plasticy than I would like compared to the hand drawn portions of the backgrounds, it's a movie that looks really good. The character animation, music, action beats, and the emotional ups and downs definitely feels like a "Gainax" sort of story, via Khara staff. It probably reminded me of the original Gunbuster most of all.

I remember there were quite a few negative impressions for this back when it first aired. I don't remember why though. What didn't people like about it?

The Dragon Dentist

Finally got around to watching the TV movie thing they made out of the short. At first I thought it was a sort of reboot, but it turns out to be a continuation with a lot more context. I really liked it. It had a lot of the elements I enjoyed in the short - a weird but interesting setting, a story that doesn't wrap itself up neatly but you always know what it is trying to say, and a great mix of fantasy and period historical stuff. The production values were top notch, and aside from some of the dragon CG being more plasticy than I would like compared to the hand drawn portions of the backgrounds, it's a movie that looks really good. The character animation, music, action beats, and the emotional ups and downs definitely feels like a "Gainax" sort of story, via Khara staff. It probably reminded me of the original Gunbuster most of all.

I remember there were quite a few negative impressions for this back when it first aired. I don't remember why though. What didn't people like about it?

The Dragon Dentist took a setting overstuffed with potential avenues to explore and chose the least interesting path. The ending of the first episode ran right off the rails. (For reference.) I suppose it is a very "Gainax" sort of story in that way.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I think we're already going to have to reverse our ban on Anime YouTube links.

With the news that Anime News Network is no more, YouTubers are now our only source for Anime related news.

duckroll

The Dragon Dentist took a setting overstuffed with potential avenues to explore and chose the least interesting path. The ending of the first episode ran right off the rails. (For reference.) I suppose it is a very "Gainax" sort of story in that way.

Huh. That's interesting. I guess I don't agree at all. It's a little overstuffed in terms of ideas, sure, but I think the actual story it wanted to tell was pretty simple. It wasn't Nonoko's story so much as her participation being a vehicle to tell Bell's story. I don't think it was the least interesting path either, because in such a setting, any path is pretty interesting. It's mostly about people having different perspective on life and death, but ultimately no one can escape it even though they think they have more agency than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom