• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Yikes! Hope they can get that sorted out soon.

Apparently their Twitter accounts were also compromised. Seems like the hack is pretty extensive and the intent isn't to troll but to damage their business directly, which is why the DNS were all flushed after the hack and no one can access the site now.

Pretty fucked up...

Jex

Huh. That's interesting. I guess I don't agree at all. It's a little overstuffed in terms of ideas, sure, but I think the actual story it wanted to tell was pretty simple. It wasn't Nonoko's story so much as her participation being a vehicle to tell Bell's story. I don't think it was the least interesting path either, because in such a setting, any path is pretty interesting. It's mostly about people having different perspective on life and death, but ultimately no one can escape it even though they think they have more agency than others.
The way you describe it on paper is far clearer and neater than the approach the show actually took in terms of depicting its story.

Jarmel

Banned
Dragon Dentist has such a dogshit script that I don't even feel like dissecting it. Enokido might be the worst hack working in the anime industry today.

So many bad decisions on the story side along with it feeling like an entire TV cour rushed through.

duckroll

Huh. I thought it was one of Enokido's neater scripts. There are 3 components to the story: Bell and his life before. Bell and Nonoko training as Dragon Dentists. Whatshername and the guy she liked long ago. It's not confusing or messy.

Sure was a hell lot more satisfying than wasting 25 episodes of time on Captain Earth, or watching Bungo season 1, or the Star Driver movie. I really enjoyed it quite a lot.

Apparently their Twitter accounts were also compromised. Seems like the hack is pretty extensive and the intent isn't to troll but to damage their business directly, which is why the DNS were all flushed after the hack and no one can access the site now.

Pretty fucked up...

Daaaammmmnnn. My wife and I get periodic attempts to hack our website, but it sounds like whoever wanted to take down ANN did so with intense aggression.

Jarmel

Banned
Huh. I thought it was one of Enokido's neater scripts. There are 3 components to the story: Bell and his life before. Bell and Nonoko training as Dragon Dentists. Whatshername and the guy she liked long ago. It's not confusing or messy.

Sure was a hell lot more satisfying than wasting 25 episodes of time on Captain Earth, or watching Bungo season 1, or the Star Driver movie. I really enjoyed it quite a lot.
I found multiple facets to be undercooked and underdeveloped, now that I think about it everything other than Nonoko felt halfbaked.

Whatshername's heelturn comes out of left field and isn't really explored despite being the lynchpin for the events of the series. Bell is such a flat and boring character that he makes Shinji look like Kamina. Did anyone engage with him on an emotional level?

I guess it's less offensive than those other shows though purely on the merit of its runtime.

duckroll

I dunno, I stopped after that episode with the fake (?) murder of the siblings and one of them was Omigawa. Don't remember much. Didn't click, felt really forced. The flashback arc in season 2 was good though.

Bell is a pretty good character in Dragon Dentist. He is an example of someone who doesn't really know what he wants in life, but clings on to the belief that as long as he is alive maybe he can do something better. He doesn't understand why others can commit their lives to something knowing that they will die at a predestined moment. In the end though, how he dies gave meaning to him existing at all. He's not a strong person or someone who really understands the world, as seen from his first life. In the end he is mostly forgotten, but he made a difference and maybe that was enough for him. I liked how it was depicted a lot.

I watched quite a few Gundam Wing episodes last night. Funny how even with the AU series, the writers fall back to the tried and true "Earth/Space Colonies conflict" plotline.

Line_HTX

Pretty fucked up...
Daaaammmmnnn. My wife and I get periodic attempts to hack our website, but it sounds like whoever wanted to take down ANN did so with intense aggression.

That's supremely fucked up. The website better come back and whoever did this malicious shit needs to pay dearly for this.

The fuck did ANN ever do...

I watched quite a few Gundam Wing episodes last night. Funny how even with the AU series, the writers fall back to the tried and true "Earth/Space Colonies conflict" plotline.

That's most Gundam series. They need to be free to break their bonds with the UC and stop being slaves to colony wars. Like G Gundam.

Apparently Funimation launched their new PS4 App last night. I don't have one myself but I'm hearing it's running way better than their glitchy old one.

That's most Gundam series. They need to be free to break their bonds with the UC and stop being slaves to colony wars. Like G Gundam.

This.

Sunrise needs to also stop worshipping Zeta Gundam.

The more I watch Zeta the more I can see how much Gundam 00 S2 was a re-hash of it.

The A-Laws were just the Titans and Ribbons Almark was just Amuro Ray if he was a boring Haman Khan. Also aliens.

Line_HTX

Two Car produced by SILVER LINK for its 10th anniversary, starts Oct. 7th.

bg_main-visual.jpg

Got that Masamune-kun character concept and looks, hahaha

That's supremely fucked up. The website better come back and whoever did this malicious shit needs to pay dearly for this.

The fuck did ANN ever do...

Probably had too many "unflattering opinions' about certain anime.

I mean, I don't generally see eye to eye with ANNs takes on stuff, but I imagine they managed to piss off a particularly malicious fan who got sick of their shit and couldn't learn to not get worked up over their diverging opinions. That's usually how it goes if the hack doesn't have financial gain behind it.

It's certainly very stupid to go this far over anything like this.

Ascheroth

Probably had too many "unflattering opinions' about certain anime.

I mean, I don't generally see eye to eye with ANNs takes on stuff, but I imagine they managed to piss off a particularly malicious fan who got sick of their shit and couldn't learn to not get worked up over their diverging opinions. That's usually how it goes if the hack doesn't have financial gain behind it.

It's certainly very stupid to go this far over anything like this.
Anime fans continue to be the worst.

Qurupeke

The Dragon Dentist

Finally got around to watching the TV movie thing they made out of the short. At first I thought it was a sort of reboot, but it turns out to be a continuation with a lot more context. I really liked it. It had a lot of the elements I enjoyed in the short - a weird but interesting setting, a story that doesn't wrap itself up neatly but you always know what it is trying to say, and a great mix of fantasy and period historical stuff. The production values were top notch, and aside from some of the dragon CG being more plasticy than I would like compared to the hand drawn portions of the backgrounds, it's a movie that looks really good. The character animation, music, action beats, and the emotional ups and downs definitely feels like a "Gainax" sort of story, via Khara staff. It probably reminded me of the original Gunbuster most of all.

I remember there were quite a few negative impressions for this back when it first aired. I don't remember why though. What didn't people like about it?
At least now I'm not the only one that liked it. It's not really the best written story but it had some interesting ideas and the action was really cool. I didn't even like the original OVA that much, this was surprising in a good way for me.

Come one, we're self-deprecating enough already. Yes, we can speculate that it might've been someone upset at their favorite anime receiving criticism but unless we actually know that, let's keep the 'anime fans are shit' statements in check.

Come one, we're self-deprecating enough already. Yes, we can speculate that it might've been someone upset at their favorite anime receiving criticism but unless we actually know that, let's keep the 'anime fans are shit' statements in check.

I agree. There's bad apples in any fandom or group or whatever. No need to turn this incident into a self hate campaign.

Just T

Sakura Quest: 17-18

Ririko keeping in touch with Lucia is nice. Introducing the elders to technology was a pretty good idea overall and played a part in the solution for the bus, another experience they learned a good bit from. However, the somber note it ended on was unexpected. Now they just gotta get the other two treasures.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
New Game Season 2, Episode 5:

There is a very special hell for the people who came up with underwater levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom