• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read the short story for I want to eat your pancreas. Wonder how the adaptation for the short story will go. I'm looking forward to it.

Cornbread78

Gal Girlfriend ep.5
G3tQ46j.png

Will someone, for the love of God, please kill this piece of shit? At least jail time, a punch in the face? WTF.. why even highlight this pos friend...

Now on tbe rest of the show, another day, another harem member for this loser MC..

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Relena?

Lacus??

UNE???

This must be the opposite of the male readers' favorites/hated list.

SkyOdin

I'm about half way through Wing now and I don't see anything particularly impressive about Relena.
I'm not surprised. Relena is one of the major perspective characters of Wing and has some major story arcs centered around her where the Gundam pilots serve as supporting characters. She is written as a main character in Wing's ensemble cast, and thus experiences a lot of conflict and growth across the series. In a franchise where most women are side characters, love interests, or objects of the writers' scorn, Relena stands out.

For similar reasons, I am not surprised to see main villains like Haman or Cima on the list.

Likewise, I am not surprised to see the Reccoa and Nina topping the hated list.

I will say that Season 2 of UBW does make a valiant attempt to give context to why exactly Shirou is such an insufferable protagonist, your opinion of the show as a whole will definitely depend on how you feel they handle that story element. Even though I like UBW more than most people I've seen talk about it here, I definitely understand why it's more divisive than Zero.

Against my better judgment I had UBW running as I was working from home today and watched the rest of it.

Ughhhh it just did not work for me.

Everytime Shirou opened his mouth, I just wanted him to die just because his dialogue is SO cringey and his actions are just awful all around. He could have gotten Rin skewered by Gilgamesh when he decided to open his mouth after Gil kills Illya and he just shrugs it off after like "welp I just wanted to help even though I can't do shit".

Shinji - why is this guy even in this show? He's awful in all of the least interesting ways that I applauded when Gil screwed him.

Gilgamesh was cooler in Zero when he was just fucking around instead of the generic anime destroyer of worlds guy that he was here.

I still enjoyed Archer, Saber, and Rin to a lesser extent but this show definitely turned me off to anything else in this series if it isn't called Fate/Zero.

So Guru Guru 2017 shrunk the same material from Guru Guru 1994 from 21/22 episodes into 5....even at this pace it will not be able to cover everything in the manga without dropping even more.

moogs

Neo Member
THE iDOLM@STER: Cinderella Girls 04

Please reprimand Anzu.

Rankings: 1. Uzuki; 2. Anastasia; 3. Mika; 4. Rin; 5. ▲Kirari; 6. ▲Rika; 7. Producer and Chihiro; 9. ▲Ranko; 10. ▲Chieri; 11. ▼▼Miku; 12. Akane; 13. Rookie Trainer; 14. Trainer; 15. Miho; 16. ▲Minami; 17. ▲Riina; 18. ▼Mio; 19. Kanako; 20. Mizuki; 21. ▼▼Miria; 22. Mayu; B&. ▼▼▼Anzu

Against my better judgment I had UBW running as I was working from home today and watched the rest of it.

Ughhhh it just did not work for me.
Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it, though your appraisal of the show certainly sounds like most of the impressions you see of it here. As much of a Fate fan as I am, I can say with a fair amount of confidence if you didn't enjoy Nasu's storytelling in UBW, you're probably right not to continue into other Fate adaptations apart from Zero... at least outside of Fate/strange fake when that inevitably gets an adaptation, but that depends on how much you like Ryogo Narita's writing (of Baccano and DuRaRaRa fame). Still, sorry if you felt like you wasted your time.

Kickz

School Rumble S2 ep. 23-24

Yup, as I was warned, this is going to be a FU anime viewers "ending." Pretty funny stuff, but I'm sad there are only two episodes remaining with no conclusions possible...

Well, buckle up when you see the actual ending because the final pairing apparently pissed off alot of fans lol. I was fine with it though

I'm not surprised. Relena is one of the major perspective characters of Wing and has some major story arcs centered around her where the Gundam pilots serve as supporting characters. She is written as a main character in Wing's ensemble cast, and thus experiences a lot of conflict and growth across the series. In a franchise where most women are side characters, love interests, or objects of the writers' scorn, Relena stands out.

That makes sense. I just made it to the point where Relena is more actively getting involved in the series' politics so I can see why that would resonate with female fans.

I still enjoyed Archer, Saber, and Rin to a lesser extent but this show definitely turned me off to anything else in this series if it isn't called Fate/Zero.

If you liked the character dynamics and dialogue of Fate/Zero you might want to check out Thunderbolt Fantasy by the same writer, which does all that even better as far as I'm concerned. Now, that's not strictly speaking anime but rather a, quote, "Japanese-Taiwanese glove puppetry television series", but that in itself made for a unique experience and lots of folks here enjoyed it thoroughly.

I think it even placed on the 2016 GAF AotY Top10 but not sure.

Cornbread78

School Rumble S2 ep.25-END
THAT is how they decided to end the anime? THAT is how? What the fuck was THAT?

I know I was warned about the non-ending before I started, but not a single plotline through 52 episodes was completed; not even close.... Not a single ship was set sail or sank along the way...

*sigh* this is how I'm feeling:

POQEwmn.gif

Anyhow, shit ending aside, the show was a ton of fun from start to finish with ridiculously stupid characters, crazy hijinks and hilariously dumb misunderstandings to carry the main plot along through both seasons.
What a crazy-fun ride!

Please reprimand Anzu.

Rankings: 1. Uzuki; 2. Anastasia; 3. Mika; 4. Rin; 5. ▲Kirari; 6. ▲Rika; 7. Producer and Chihiro; 9. ▲Ranko; 10. ▲Chieri; 11. ▼▼Miku; 12. Akane; 13. Rookie Trainer; 14. Trainer; 15. Miho; 16. ▲Minami; 17. ▲Riina; 18. ▼Mio; 19. Kanako; 20. Mizuki; 21. ▼▼Miria; 22. Mayu; B&. ▼▼▼Anzu

i respect your choice of uzuki as no1, but id personally place shiburin in her place. also CGproducer needs to be higher. he is pretty damn awesome having to put up with all of the girls lol.

DiGiKerot

Please reprimand Anzu.

Anzu is actually the best. Except maybe Ranko. Maybe.

Uzuki is good too, though. Ganbaru's jike a champ.

Kickz

I know I was warned about the non-ending before I started, but not a single plotline through 52 episodes was completed; not even close.... Not a single ship was set sail or sank along the way...

POQEwmn.gif

Anyhow, shit ending aside, the show was a ton of fun from start to finish with ridiculously stupid characters, crazy hijinks and hilariously dumb misunderstandings to carry the main plot along through both seasons.
What a crazy-fun ride!

^One of my fav rom coms, the manga kinda ties things up for Harima atleast.

POQEwmn.gif

What a crazy-fun ride!

Well technically it ended with two OVA episodes that skip like 80 chapters to the end of the manga. But I don't think Funimation has those since they came with the original manga.

Cornbread78

^One of my fav rom coms, the manga kinda ties things up for Harima atleast.

It's a shame bevause the show is really fun. Makes you wonder why tgey never finished annimating the rest of the story to the finish line.

Well technically it ended with two OVA episodes that skip like 80 chapters to the end of the manga. But I don't think Funimation has those since they came with the original manga.

I looked around and couldn't find them, but MAL says they exist, lol.

Cornbread78

Sakarada Reset ep.19
Oh Kei. How can Soma say you are not going to suffer when that's exactly what is going to happen next episode. I'm interested to see how they close this show out with all the conflicting parties present.

trejo

What a crazy-fun ride!
LalaxIchijou OTP

Luigi87

[.img]http://i.imgur.com/POQEwmn.gif[/img]

What a crazy-fun ride!

I loved this series. I adored it... Then the manga "ended" and... sigh, it really soured me on everything. It was clear that the creator wanted to work on something else, so an ending was half assed and rushed out.

Cornbread78

I loved this series. I adored it... Then the manga "ended" and... sigh, it really soured me on everything. It was clear that the creator wanted to work on something else, so an ending was half assed and rushed out.

Ouch, that's a shame. What volume of the manga did they off at with the anime? Is it worth a read?

Now, I just need to find a new comedy to replace School Rumble with..

I skipped stopped after S1 of Baka to Test, so maybe I should go back to that one..

Man God

Non-Canon Member

POQEwmn.gif

What a crazy-fun ride!

Yep. It's one of my top three animes despite the ending. In fact I am definitely going to rewatch it soon.

Luigi87

Ouch, that's a shame. What volume of the manga did they off at with the anime? Is it worth a read?

Now, I just need to find a new comedy to replace School Rumble with..

I skipped stopped after S1 of Baka to Test, so maybe I should go back to that one..

I think out of the 22 volumes, the anime (not counting the OVAs that skip to the end) only covers somewhere up to volume 13.

Junji Ito Collection TV anime coming in winter 2018.

Director/Character Design: Shinobu Tagashira (she drew the above concept visual)
Studio: Studio Deen

All I have to say is good luck adapting this.

It can be done but man will it be hard giving justice to this horror series. You need really good direction.

The visual looks great tho.

Edit: Also what's up with old stuff getting adapted lately lol? Surely Vagabond will get adapted one day.

DNAbro

Director/Character Design: Shinobu Tagashira (she drew the above concept visual)

pls be good pls be good pls be good pls be good pls be good pls be good pls be good pls be good pls be good pls be good pls be good pls be good pls be good pls be good pls be good pls be good pls be good pls be good pls be good pls be good pls be good pls be good pls be good pls be good

Seriously Junji Ito is my favorite horror author and I hope they do it justice to the source material

Please reprimand Anzu.

You have Uzuki as number one but you've insulted Anzu at the same time.

I am conflicted.

XAL

Gal Girlfriend ep.5

Will someone, for the love of God, please kill this piece of shit? At least jail time, a punch in the face? WTF.. why even highlight this pos friend...

Now on tbe rest of the show, another day, another harem member for this loser MC..

So is this show like a rip-off/inferior version of prison school with a gross pedophile friend character?

XAL

I don't think it's anything remotely like Prison School

And all of them are practically paedos

Oh I just saw the 3 friends of the guy and they all looked like low rent versions of the friends from prison school minus the ant guy. Unless fat guy, glasses guy, and blonde guy friends is a thing in anime.

moogs

Neo Member
i respect your choice of uzuki as no1, but id personally place shiburin in her place. also CGproducer needs to be higher. he is pretty damn awesome having to put up with all of the girls lol.
When Rin grows to fully appreciate her profession, she might place higher. As for the producer, he may be putting up with amateur hour but it's Kirari that handles Anzu's absenteeism and it's Minami that holds Anastasia's hand. He's bad at communicating, and the longer that goes on the less I can sympathize with it. Although, it does set a precedence for the idols to develop without the producer as the catalyst.

Anzu is actually the best. Except maybe Ranko. Maybe.

Uzuki is good too, though. Ganbaru's jike a champ.
I hope this means she redeems herself.

My opinion of Ranko improved after finding her to be more tolerable than her contemporaries of delusions.
———————————————————
THE iDOLM@STER: Cinderella Girls 05

Just where are the security personnel on these premises? My suspicion that Miria is only putting on an act continues to grow... I'm getting a sinister vibe from her unsettling innocence. Also, when will Kaede be properly introduced?

Rankings: 1. Uzuki; 2. Anastasia; 3. ▲Rin and Mika; 5. Kirari; 6. ▲Ranko; 7. Chihiro; 8. ▲Miku; 9. ▲Chieri; 10. ▼Producer; 11. Akane; 12. Voice Trainer; 13. ▼▼Rika; 14. Rookie Trainer; 15. ▲Minami; 16. ▲Riina; 17. Mio and Miho; 19. Kanako; 20. Trainer; 21. Mizuki; 22. Miria; 23. Mayu; B&. Anzu

Lain

This is gonna be interesting.

Battle Girl High School 1

I couldn't last even 10 minutes. As the girls threw rocks on the bad guy and then to transform they drop down as if there is a meadow in bloom behind them I just... stopped there.

Gamers! 1

So much cringe moments but... it made me laugh. It defied my expectations with Amano's choices and so, I'm gonna keep watching.

Did the original anime not cover the whole source material? If that's the case I might have to read the source material.

Guru Guru 1994 covered up to Vol 4, Guru Guru 2000 (which has horrible Chinese to English subs for 2/3rds of it, subs that you can tell are wrong) Covered up to Vol 11 and there are 16 volumes total. Manga is 95% untranslated so....yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom