• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made in abyss is 6 episodes in, how is it so far? Specifically, is the aspect that was holding me back after the spoilers from the Manga not as prevalent in the Anime? (aka the child nudity)

Well, it has been pretty much the definition of a slow burn. The first episode promised a lot, but while the interesting atmosphere is still there, the pace of the episodes 2 to 4 has been slow. In episode 6 things are finally getting interesting, and the payoff?? could be in episode 7 or 8.

LotusHD

Banned
Made in abyss is 6 episodes in, how is it so far? Specifically, is the aspect that was holding me back after the spoilers from the Manga not as prevalent in the Anime? (aka the child nudity)

giphy.gif

Last episode had its worst one yet. No idea on what the manga does, but the anime ain't any better.

Last episode had its worst one yet. No idea on what the manga does, but the anime ain't any better.

By "last episode" you mean episode 6? The moment of Riko's nudity in episode 5 was a worse sequence than the moment in 6, as it was longer and more narratively gratuitous. Also, I would say the anime is better than the manga, given that the anime at least makes some effort to frame the content in a more visually tasteful manner.

Made in Abyss is weird. At least they aren't framing it in a provocative manner like some others shows but why is it there multiple times in the first place? Yes people take baths but do we REALLY need to see anything beyond that?

I don't get it.

LotusHD

Banned
By "last episode" you mean episode 6? The moment of Riko's nudity in episode 5 was a worse sequence than the moment in 6, as it was longer and more narratively gratuitous. Also, I would say the anime is better than the manga, given that the anime at least makes some effort to frame the content in a more visually tasteful manner.

That was awful too, but I dunno, Ep. 6 basically did the same thing, but also showed her ass, so...

Joe Molotov

Made in Abyss is weird. At least they aren't framing it in a provocative manner like some others shows but why is it there multiple times in the first place? Yes people take baths but do we REALLY need to see anything beyond that?

I don't get it.

Wouldn't want to just make an anime you could recommend to normal people with a million caveats, that's crazy.

I don't get it.

The manga author has issues for sure. For whatever reason, whether out of respect for the source material or something else, the anime adaptation has reduced how provocative the imagery is but not eliminated it entirely.

Chase17

I don't get it.

How else do you check for wounds?

/s

Kyuur

The way the scenes have been framed should not bring discomfort to anyone. Some of you guys must go crazy watching older anime where they have no problem showing little naked boy's dick and balls if seeing the bare ass of a little girl is somehow problematic. Probably avoid public shower rooms too?

I'm just never going to get it I guess.

I don't get it.

The narrative purpose is to highlight how she doesn't see Reg as a human. She was clearly flustered when some of the boys in the orphanage saw her get punished but has no problem around him. Meanwhile, Reg is clearly flustered each time despite him being a robot. The show also does not ignore a lot of things that typically would be in a shonen adventure (cooking, bathroom, illness, bathing and changing etc) and I think the author probably purposefully tries to show off these aspects.

I don't get it.

While Riko's age of 12 years is certainly on the borderline, one usually wouldn't even have to bat an eye at nudity of children in the right, innocent context.

But I'd say the context but also framing in this show does sexualize it purposely. Like, these frontal shots with the hair obscuring the view of her underdeveloped breasts... whyyyyyyyyyyy. That's like textbook 'sensual' framing that has no place for underaged characters.

Hamst3r

Casshern '73 - 09 - I'm mildly annoyed by how little Luna uses the MF Gun. Does it have limited energy? Can it be recharged? I mean, the way it was introduced, the doctor just sort of ran around shooting it like a regular ol' gun. No mention of any limits, yet it's kind of just hand decoration for her. She poses with it.

Also how this takes place in a world that seemingly has television and radio, and there are remote security cameras and news broadcasts...Yet, all important information that has to get to Casshern or to Braiking is delivered in person by speech. If Braiking sends out a spy robot it has to get there and return to tell him what happened.

Fist of the North Star: Raoh Gaiden - This was pretty good! I don't think I've really disliked anything FOTNS yet though, so I'm seemingly easy to please with this series. All I've got left is Blue Sky and the movie pentalogy.

The way the scenes have been framed should not bring discomfort to anyone. Some of you guys must go crazy watching older anime where they have no problem showing little naked boy's dick and balls if seeing the bare ass of a little girl is somehow problematic. Probably avoid public shower rooms too?

I mean its way different when the little kids are nude in Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 or kid Goku in Dragon Ball. That's played mostly for laughs.

Made in Abyss isn't nearly as bad as Shinobu in Nisemonogatari but why the hell do they keep doing it? Its the hair over the chest that's really bad. That's 100% on purpose.

Edit: Speaking of Nisemono, August 14th Monday Morning is when the legendary toothbrush scene takes place. Watch it to celebrate!

1upsuper

So I picked up Shin Godzilla and I've been dying to watch it, but people have told me it's better if I've seen Neon Genesis Evangelion.

So now I'm trying to figure out how the hell to watch NGE legally. Is it alright if I go with the blu-ray releases of 1.11, 2.22, and 3.33 as my introduction to the franchise? It boggles my mind that a series so apparently foundational and popular has been out of print in the US for so long.

While Riko's age of 12 years is certainly on the borderline, one usually wouldn't even have to bat an eye at nudity of children in the right, innocent context.

But I'd say the context but also framing in this show does sexualize it purposely. Like, these frontal shots with the hair obscuring the view of her underdeveloped breasts... whyyyyyyyyyyy. That's like textbook 'sensual' framing that has no place for underaged characters.

I think the anime staff figured that obscuring her breasts with her hair was being more tasteful than the manga, given that the manga version shows her breasts very clearly in that scene.

While I would prefer the anime eliminate nudity entirely, I think it is important to be aware that in every scene with it the anime is less explicit than the manga. In Episode 6 too, instead of simply showing Riko's back when she gets out of the bath, the manga shows her from the front, again accentuating her breasts.

So I picked up Shin Godzilla and I've been dying to watch it, but people have told me it's better if I've seen Neon Genesis Evangelion.

So now I'm trying to figure out how the hell to watch NGE legally. Is it alright if I go with the blu-ray releases of 1.11, 2.22, and 3.33 as my introduction to the franchise? It boggles my mind that a series so apparently foundational and popular has been out of print in the US for so long.

Definitely watch the TV series first. It's better (also godly) and you should rather watch the movies afterward for some more damn sweet animation (which the TV series isn't lacking either btw, but the more the merrier).

Oh and the End of Evangelion movie after the TV series of course.

As far as legal avenues go, I think you're pretty screwed in the US I'm afraid.

edit:
But yeh, I wouldn't say you have to see those either to enjoy Shin Godzilla.

Hamst3r

The first two movies are probably fine for just "seeing what Evangelion is". You should really watch the series and the End of Evangelion movie though.

That said, I don't think you really need to watch Evangelion to enjoy Shin Godzilla. It's simply that they're by the same director, so they have some of the same shot compositions, and some of the same music cues.

Kyuur

I mean its way different when the little kids are nude in Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 or kid Goku in Dragon Ball. That's played mostly for laughs.

Made in Abyss isn't nearly as bad as Shinobu in Nisemonogatari but why the hell do they keep doing it? Its the hair over the chest that's really bad. That's 100% on purpose.

Did an edit above as well -- the hair thing is kind of weird, its clearly there to act as a censor because presumably people would freak out more if it wasn't there (see Lotus freaking out because her hair wasn't long enough to cover her entire back) but at the same time its presence might sort of accentuate why it needed to be censored in the first place? I don't think it really is intended to be fan service, just another way to censor the scene while conveying what they wanted to convey.

You should watch NGE because it's good but... I don't see why you would have to watch it in relation with Godzilla?

Other then a few visual references and a song from the soundtrack its not essential. You probably will get more out of it though if you enjoy recognizing things.

I think the anime staff figured that obscuring her breasts with her hair was being more tasteful than the manga, given that the manga version shows her breasts very clearly in that scene.

While I would prefer the anime eliminate nudity entirely, I think it is important to be aware that in every scene with it the anime is less explicit than the manga. In Episode 6 too, instead of simply showing Riko's back when she gets out of the bath, the manga shows her from the front, again accentuating her breasts.

As I mentioned, the context surrounding all the scenes with nudity and such is already really bad. So, in that regard I prefer the hair obscuring her breasts because the show has already established that the intent of these scenes is sexualization/allure *shudder*.

And yeh, I've only seen a page from the manga comparing her 'punishment' and the anime is less explicit thankfully. Unfortunately 'less' is hardly recommendable but I suppose all that crap is so entrenched in the manga that they'd have to rewrite several scenes completely. That can be especially difficult in a tightly plotted mystery story where small hints are everywhere and those shouldn't be omitted. Lastly, I guess the author might not be happy if they cut all that stuff entirely... Doesn't excuse it but yeh.

The narrative purpose is to highlight how she doesn't see Reg as a human. She was clearly flustered when some of the boys in the orphanage saw her get punished but has no problem around him. Meanwhile, Reg is clearly flustered each time despite him being a robot. The show also does not ignore a lot of things that typically would be in a shonen adventure (cooking, bathroom, illness, bathing and changing etc) and I think the author probably purposefully tries to show off these aspects.

I haven't found it particularly provocative or bothersome either and I agree that highlighting the way Riko doesn't see Reg as a human is part of it. Maybe the original manga is a loli-con, no idea, but what the anime has produced, so far anyway, hasn't troubled me.

But this conversation started from Woofington's worries, so I'd say that if what was shown already bothered him it doesn't get all that much better. Maybe Riko isn't strung up again outside the first two episodes, but her nakedness was a sticking point what's here is still going to trouble him.

I haven't found it particularly provocative or bothersome either and I agree that highlighting the way Riko doesn't see Reg as a human is part of it. Maybe the original manga is a loli-con, no idea, but what the anime has produced, so far anyway, hasn't troubled me.

I think Riko's misconception about Reg being a robot is a poor justification to set up all these embarrassing encounters between them.

Riko seemed surprisingly knowledgeable once we've entered the abyss and, uh, Reg doesn't look 100% like a robot, you know? That sure is a human torso with skin or a skin-like texture. He has other human appendages, as the show likes to remind us, that wouldn't even serve a purpose in a robot as far as we know. Reg himself doesn't consider himself to be merely a robot, either. Yet Riko is 100% convinced because... she likes the idea of him being a real robot so much that she disregards evidence indicating otherwise?

Call me cynical, but the author primarily just wants Riko to walk around naked in front of him every now and then.

I think Riko's misconception about Reg being a robot is a poor justification to set up all these embarrassing encounters between them.

Riko seemed surprisingly knowledgeable once we've entered the abyss and, uh, Reg doesn't look 100% like a robot, you know? That sure is a human torso with skin or a skin-like texture. He has other human appendages, as the show likes to remind us, that wouldn't even serve a purpose in a robot as far as we know. Reg himself doesn't consider himself to be merely a robot, either. Yet Riko is 100% convinced because... she likes the idea of him being a real robot so much that she disregards evidence indicating otherwise?

Call me cynical, but the author primarily just wants Riko to walk around naked in front of him every now and then.

Maybe that's part of it? I dunno, but I don't find the idea of the subtext that Riko doesn't view Reg as human all that ridiculous. She, in some ways, treats him like a handy toy. I think her not being afraid to take clothes off around him is another sign that she doesn't think too much of his presence in those situations. He may not look completely like a robot, but it's the way she perceives him that's important here.

I guess seeing Riko naked, the way the anime presents it anyway, just doesn't bother me all that much. I haven't read the manga, but the anime's usage of nudity hasn't made me feel like it's trying to sell me fan service.

Owarimonogatari S2 1-3
Before Monogatari has always been "Dialog the Anime". But now it's worse, now it's "Exposition the Anime". Sooo much exposition in the first and third episodes.

And the resolution is so underwhelming lol. A
fake darkness, an apparition created by Koyomi because he is too much of a white knight and he gets hard by feeling guiltiness and being a martyr. And overall the arc and explanation was too convoluted.
And after that, he acts like he predictably always acts, and then the day is saved a by a Deus Ex Machina somehow saving the bacon for both sides.
I find ironic the theme was to end and leave behind your adolescence...if in the end he acted like he always did in his adolescence.

BUT THIS IS NOT IMPORTANT, THE IMPORTANT THING WAS
TO ADD ANOTHER MEMBER TO THE HAREM.

Taruranto

But this conversation started from Woofington's worries, so I'd say that if what was shown already bothered him it doesn't get all that much better. Maybe Riko isn't strung up again outside the first two episodes, but her nakedness was a sticking point what's here is still going to trouble him.

The manga author is definitely a lolicon/shotacon, no way around it. That stuff is mostly limited to few scenes, tho'.

Windy Tales 9

As much as I enjoy this show, I have to question the decision to deliver the narrative in an achronological fashion in certain episodes, particularly the flying squirrel episode and this one. It damages the flow of scenes into each other and makes it harder to follow the story than it needs to be, while not providing any appreciable benefits. While Windy Tales is undoubtedly much better than director Junji Nishimura's later work, I wonder if this element taken to a farther extreme is part of the bizarre and confusing nature of Glasslip that I've heard so much about.

Chase17

Gintama 20-24
Solid episodes. Best one was the space trip. That one guy is very positive!

Gintama 25
Everything about this episode is amazing. Highlights are Elizabeth doing oragami after getting underestimated, and the first Kagura Nobe Shogun reveal.

Gintama 20-24
Solid episodes. Best one was the space trip. That one guy is very positive!

Gintama 25
Everything about this episode is amazing. Highlights are Elizabeth doing oragami after getting underestimated, and the first Kagura Nobe Shogun reveal.

Gintama is only just getting started

javac

They're showing Napping Princess in the UK tomorrow but I don't think that it's something I'd enjoy so I'm giving it a pass. The Night is Short Walk on, Girl on 4th October is next on my radar regarding cinema screenings.

balgajo

Casshern '73 - 09 - I'm mildly annoyed by how little Luna uses the MF Gun. Does it have limited energy? Can it be recharged? I mean, the way it was introduced, the doctor just sort of ran around shooting it like a regular ol' gun. No mention of any limits, yet it's kind of just hand decoration for her. She poses with it.

Also how this takes place in a world that seemingly has television and radio, and there are remote security cameras and news broadcasts...Yet, all important information that has to get to Casshern or to Braiking is delivered in person by speech. If Braiking sends out a spy robot it has to get there and return to tell him what happened.

Is that any good for someone who really liked Casshern Sins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom