• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clov

Flipping through the TV channels over here, my wife and I stumbled on an old rerun of DBZ on Tokyo MX. I hadn't heard any of the Japanese ending themes before; it was... very 90s.

Now a rerun of Gundam Seed is on. My wife's pretty happy, since this one's her favorite. It... has a lot of screaming, that's for sure.

Clov

Now Aho Girl is on.

... was that actually the opening? Like, 90% of it is a slowly zooming out shot of the main character on a banana? Like... wow.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Now Aho Girl is on.

... was that actually the opening? Like, 90% of it is a slowly zooming out shot of the main character on a banana? Like... wow.

Aho Girl's intros have been steadily going off the rails since point zero and I love it.

phaze

To peeps who already watched Owari S2, would you say it would benefit from rewatching some earlier parts beforehand ? Was thinking of going back to most of Owari S1 and some other select Ougi, Gaen, Shinobu scenes.

To peeps who already watched Owari S2, would you say it would benefit from rewatching some earlier parts beforehand ? Was thinking of going back to most of Owari S1 and some other select Ougi, Gaen, Shinobu scenes.

Maybe, but I wouldn't recommend doing so just for the sake of Owari's second season. While some plot threads do come together here, it's a different question whether that was really that well executed. As long as you roughly remember what transpired so far, I don't think there's much to gain by revisiting that stuff beforehand.

I like it but the jokes are too repetitive.

Really? I feel like they've got good variety going. Each cast member brings a different avenue/brand of comedy to the table (though the overall theme is 'stupidity.') allowing episodes to have a healthy range of gags as opposed to other comedic anime where I've found they have one bit and hammer that over and over.

phaze

Maybe, but I wouldn't recommend doing so just for the sake of Owari's second season. While some plot threads do come together here, it's a different question whether that was really that well executed. As long as you roughly remember what transpired so far, I don't think there's much to gain by revisiting that stuff beforehand.

Uh huh. That doesn't sound too good.. :( I guess I'll at least rewatch bits of last arc of Owari as I wanted to see that with context from Kizu anyway.

Maria Holic Alive 4-12 END
030419tdyu4.jpg
030306c9bcb.jpg
030444mvx5j.jpg

Sort of reverse of S1 in that the first half here is much better than the second. Also suffers from a pretty common comedy vice in that a lot of characters are very one note and after the while the jokes get repetitive with there not being a lot of mixing it up. Even so, for the series as a whole, the personalities and VA work for characters like God, Maria or the priest Kanae made them instantly memorably and some of my favorite work from Sawashiro, Kobayashi and Sugita. Not a comedy that will rock anyone's world but a decent offering once it finds its groove.

Dunkirk

JulianImp

I only realized upon my rewatch of Tsukimono that my brain had apparently purged the memories of Koyomi and Tsukihi's bath scene that took place at the time.

With that, I've been reminded of yet another reason why I'm definitely going to Avici Hell when I die.

lasted longer into the skull island cinema sins video than this shit

That reminds me, I stumbled upon some channel called "anime wins" with a video titled "Everything great about: Attack on Titan Season 2."

And a minute in they showed one of the dreadful shots with CGI horse and marked that a win. "Decent use of CGI."

At that point I realized that 30min+ long "Why you should watch..." videos were apparently not even the bottom of the barrel.

Narag

That reminds me, I stumbled upon some channel called "anime wins" with a video titled "Everything great about: Attack on Titan Season 2."

And a minute in they showed one of the dreadful shots with CGI horse and marked that a win. "Decent use of CGI."

At that point I realized that 30min+ long "Why you should watch..." videos were apparently not even the bottom of the barrel.

Funnily enough, a cinemasins bash thread was posted in the OT after I bitched here and they introducted me to whole "Everything great about..." concept and I hate youtube even more now.

edit:

this has to be parody

Funnily enough, a cinemasins bash thread was posted in the OT after I bitched here and they introducted me to whole "Everything great about..." concept and I hate youtube even more now.

edit:

this has to be parody

Right? You immediately wonder what the fuck they're even talking about and the fact that this moronic "win counter" is already at 11 a minute in... Just, no, kill it all with fire.

Finaj

Ok, I have something that has been bugging me. Why is it that anime created by Shaft tend to have very empty/dead worlds? I get that it's their style, but it just comes off as lazy and not fitting to certain series.

Ok, I have something that has been bugging me. Why is it that anime created by Shaft tend to have very empty/dead worlds? I get that it's their style, but it just comes off as lazy and not fitting to certain series.

It's a way of saving on animation effort by eliminating even a cursory attempt to indicate background crowds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom