• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Classroom of the Elite and Tsurezure Children

What are the premier shows of this season? I always get great answers every time I ask this question. Don't let me down now gaf. Also just this season and not continuation of previous ones
Folks have already said two, I'll also throw magic circle Guru Guru which is turning out to be my Aots as of right now because I am not yet watching princess principal and made in abyss.
Classroom of the Elite and Tsurezure Children
Isn't this like an ironic so bad it's good show though?

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
What are the premier shows of this season? I always get great answers every time I ask this question. Don't let me down now gaf. Also just this season and not continuation of previous ones

Aho Girl. Also Tsurezure Children since I just started watching it and it's amazing. Haven't watched that principal show or made in abyss (not on crunchyroll) but I can't imagine I'm missing much.

I agree with a lot of the recommendations thus far, and I'l also mention Koi to Uso (aka: Love and Lies). It may lean a bit on ecchi and romance cliches at times as setup, but the show seems to have some genuinely interesting and progressive things to say about the nature of adolescent love, trying to tell the difference between love and lust, whether or not it's okay to lie to someone for their happiness, etc. It's a smarter show than it might appear at first glance.

Steins; Gate

I absolutely loved it. The ending didn't make a lot of sense to me yet, but maybe it will after a good night's sleep.

Like the whole lets fake Kurisu's death for the Okarin of that world line. What, why? I mean the d-mails and the device to go back 48 hours in time were sort of "logical". But the logic behind the plan in the last episode completely escapes me.

On a different note, I loved the Kurisu x Okarin romance. The episode in which they kissed was wonderful. Also lol at mayuri x hashida. It sucks for Urushibara and Faris though :/

I'll read some parts of the wiki tomorrow before watching the movie.

Hyoukokun

Is that hajimete no gal or symphogear any good? Gonna check out made in the abyss and principle princess too

I think the general consensus is no on Hajimete no Gal, and Symphogear is probably worth watching if you've seen the earlier seasons and liked them. Made in Abyss has excellent world-building, solid art, and an unfortunate preoccupation with its leads' anatomy. Princess Principal is a much better spy show than it should be based on the premise (spy girls going to school in dieselpunk England). I'm also going to throw out Magical Circle Guru Guru - it's a criminally underwatched fantasy comedy show.

tuffy

Steins; Gate

I absolutely loved it. The ending didn't make a lot of sense to me yet, but maybe it will after a good night's sleep.

Like the whole lets fake Kurisu's death for the Okarin of that world line. What, why? I mean the d-mails and the device to go back 48 hours in time were sort of "logical". But the logic behind the plan in the last episode completely escapes me.

On a different note, I loved the Kurisu x Okarin romance. The episode in which they kissed was wonderful. Also lol at mayuri x hashida. It sucks for Urushibara and Faris though :/

What I gathered from it is that
in the non-apocalyptic world line back in episode 1, he sees she's been murdered. In order to continue on that world line, he's got to continue on as if that's happened rather than prevent the event from occurring altogether. So by faking her death, his past self can still see she's been murdered (as he had originally) without actually killing her.

RedSwirl

The Castle of Gagliostro

Saw this in Japanese last year. Dope movie, but I wanted to check out the dub. I personally enjoyed the 2000 dub. David Hayter was good as Lupin, and I actually liked Jigen's voice even though he sounded a bit old.

GOAT main theme of course.

Cornbread78

Steins; Gate

Make sure you watch the OVA now (not the shorts)

Little Witch Academia - Completed

That was a pretty enjoyable watch. Nice return to form for Trigger since Kiznaiver turned out to be a bit of a dud. Akko had the right amount of spunk where she never really crossed the threshold of being annoying IMHO. As I mentioned earlier, Diana was probably my favorite character in the series and I'd go as far to say she is one of the better "rival" characters made in anime. Not sure how I feel about the revelation with
Silver Chariot
, especially since both that and the Big Bad kind of good by with little consequences.

Really enjoyable series though. 4/5 stars, would watch a third cour.

Isn't this like an ironic so bad it's good show though?

Classroom of the Elite maybe, but Tsurezure Children is legitimately really good.

Fall 2017 Anime Season

Fall.jpg

I am probably gonna watch

Kekkai Sensen S2
The Ancient Magus Bride
Osomatsu S2
Vanishing line
Robot Grandpa
Gintama once I catch up
Kino Journey
Houseki
Umaru chan

A lot more than this season thats for sure.

Is that hajimete no gal or symphogear any good? Gonna check out made in the abyss and principle princess too

Symphogear AXZ is a continuation of the symphogear anime series. But its awesome. If you want to catch up to it the first three seasons are on CR. Unfortunately AXZ isnt currently licenced for the us.

DNAbro

Fall 2017 Anime Season

I am probably gonna watch

Kekkai Sensen S2
The Ancient Magus Bride
Osomatsu S2
Vanishing line
Robot Grandpa
Gintama once I catch up
Kino Journey
Houseki
Umaru chan

A lot more than this season thats for sure.

Osomatsu S2 is the only guarantee for me.

Vanishing Line seems interesting.
Will probably also watch Black Clover even though basically all I've heard of it is that "it's Naruto but with wizards." Maybe I'll like it.

Hello friends! So I've never really watched too much anime in recent years, but this year has been me procrastinating by binging random series (20 minute breaks are always great) which has helped me to slowly get back into the scene. I'm currently watching Rakugo, which is the only series that aired in the past year that I've seen thus far. I want to try ~watching them as they come~ now like everyone else, but I need recs. Is there any particularly good series airing right now that I should binge? I perused the highlights, but I'd like to hear people's personal recommendations.

For what it's worth, my top 3 favorite anime are:

1) Shirobako
2) Aria the Origination (whole series really)
3) The Tatami Galaxy

Feel free to throw general recommendations too if ya want :) I haven't watched much action anime before (sans Madoka Magica), but I'm willing to get into it if the plotting/characters are on point.

Hello friends! So I've never really watched too much anime in recent years, but this year has been me procrastinating by binging random series (20 minute breaks are always great) which has helped me to slowly get back into the scene. I'm currently watching Rakugo, which is the only series that aired in the past year that I've seen thus far. I want to try ~watching them as they come~ now like everyone else, but I need recs. Is there any particularly good series airing right now that I should binge? I perused the highlights, but I'd like to hear people's personal recommendations.

1) Shirobako
3) The Tatami Galaxy

Feel free to throw general recommendations too if ya want :) I haven't watched much action anime before (sans Madoka Magica), but I'm willing to get into it if the plotting/characters are on point.

The highlights are Princess Principial and Made in the Abyss.

Magic Circle Guru Guru is a fast paced jrpg styled comedy I'd recommend too if you feel like watching anime comedy.

Based off what you've liked, maybe give Restaurant Isekai a try.

1) Shirobako
3) The Tatami Galaxy

Barakamon (a funny and heartwarming slice of life)
Mob Psycho ( visually distinct show)
Eccentric Family (a show about a weird but comfy family)
Kekkai Sensen ( NYC the anime with a fun diverse cast)
Noragami ( good action with a enjoyable plot)
91 Days (HBO mafia)
Ping Pong the animation (a great characterpiece of a show)
Code Breaker (really fantastic action)

Gintama if you can do a long running show. It has incredible comedy.

John Blade

Just got myself a blu ray bundle pack of anime/asian movie. Just wondering what people impression for the anime list below.

Night Raid 1931
Origin
Oblivion Island
Paprika
The Sky Crawlers
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
Final Fantasy VII Advent Children

Cornbread78

1) Shirobako
3) The Tatami Galaxy

Welcome brotha. Continue to post in here!

Recs:

Barakamon
Eccentric Family
Silver Spoon
New Game
Konosuba
Working
Erased

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
If you specifically want to try something out that is currently airing...New Game is maybe one of the closest relatives to Shirobako. It's in its second season now but it should be easy to catch up on, although its more fanservice oriented slant with light girl/girl pairing elements makes it niche in comparison to something like Shirobako. People here have a tendency to offer recommendations from a selfish place though, so I'd say to err on the side of caution with anything that gets thrown at you unless it overlaps with your interests.

Fall 2017 Anime Season

My definite will checkout list:
(depended on which streaming service picks it up)
  • 3-gatsu no Lion*
  • Black Clover
  • Gintama: Shinsaku
  • Himouto Umaru-chan*
  • Inuyashiki
  • Just Because
  • Kekkai Sensen & Beyond
  • Mahoutsukai no Yome
  • Shokugeki no Soma: San na Sara
  • Vanishing Line
* Still need to watch the first season

Action Heroine Cheer Fruits 6

Anime.

LMAO out of context I gotta ask why was that last part necessary. Is she listing random achievements she has?

And why does a girl have that fucking license.

"Ichiro Suzezaki. 14 years. In the top 10 of his high school class. Also, he is licensed as a Professional Engineer in 3 states"

Narag

LMAO out of context I gotta ask why was that last part necessary. Is she listing random achievements she has?

And why does a girl have that fucking license.

"Ichiro Suzezaki. 14 years. In the top 10 of his high school class. Also, he is licensed as a Professional Engineer in 3 states"

They need someone to run special effects for their toku stage show.

They need someone to run special effects for their toku stage show.

I don't have this license nor am I knowledgeable in the area, so maybe there is a reason why on paper it sounds like a license to identify/properly dispose of and deal with hazardous materials. And how it has to do with setting up special effects. Seems like something you'd rather have somebody with electrical/computer engineering. Even a chemistry expertise.

Thank you friends for all the recommendations! I literally wrote em all down in a note so I can have a quick reference for looking for something fresh! I'll look into Made in the Abyss so I can watch something for the summer, then I'll juggle some of your recs and maybe one fall anime as well after! I've always wanted to post in this community, so it'll be fun :)

Imma watch more Rakugo - hopefully I can still post my thoughts on the episode despite it not being a current airing Summer anime. If that's against the rules, no problem~

EDIT: Those Kakegurui facial animations sure are.....something. Apparently it comes to Netflix in 2018? Might give it a whirl then.

Thank you friends for all the recommendations! I literally wrote em all down in a note so I can have a quick reference for looking for something fresh! I'll look into Made in the Abyss so I can watch something for the summer, then I'll juggle some of your recs and maybe one fall anime as well after! I've always wanted to post in this community, so it'll be fun :)

Imma watch more Rakugo - hopefully I can still post my thoughts on the episode despite it not being a current airing Summer anime. If that's against the rules, no problem~

nah, be our guest. This thread is to post impressions on every anime you're watching not just currently airing ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom