• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

i wonder if i watch 3 wholesome shows maybe i can budget to recover from the wholesomeness defecit that kakegurui looks like

Fall 2017 Anime Season

BLack Clover is a must watch, same for Cardfight!! Vanguard G Next Next and TIME BOKAN 24!!!! (please bring back Hey Say Jump!!!)

Ousama Game is a must watch because its Ousama Game and I hope Ousama Game Kigen gets animated someday.

Classicaloid 2 should be fun if Sousuke gets to sing again.

Code:Realize, Sengoku Night Blood, Idolmaster Side M (Drive A Live please), Tsukipro, and Dynamic Chord will make up for the absence of such shows this summer.

Just Because could be interesting, but it seems like a plot thats been done 539 times before.

Robomasters could be a must watch if it gets simulcast.

Saredo could be fun, Food Wars will be fun but Im already a manga reader, same for UQ Holder (but I just want to see animated Touta-nii, and Santa kun?)

Aki-at

I can't help but give a loud laugh whenever I see some of these Kakegurui faces hahahahahahaha.

Re:Creators - 18

ieHnRDi.jpg
mhIU2YV.jpg

What a great episode, characters being brought back from the dead in a canon spinoff series, major plot twists being dropped in a spinoff series, characters being buffed... I don't know how they would reach "acceptance" because I could only imagine how many people would flip out at some of this stuff (Well maybe not looking at comics in general haha) A lot of fun was had in this episode and honestly I wasn't expecting to laugh as much as a nearly did in this whole episode. The pink haired girl's upgrade to Yuya ruining his creator's future story planning and as always Chikujoin appearances are a delight

Show has come a long way surprisingly from me first being unsure if it'd be a fun ride to wanting to see where this is all going.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't understand why the
image reversal
cheat in this week's Kakegurui matters. They put down their cards in advance and don't know his cards anyway so it seems like it shouldn't have an impact unless one side was intending on cheating.

dickroach

what are the best non-Miyazaki Ghibli movies? I watched all the ones he directed from Totoro to Spirited Away, which were all great, but I'm curious to see what the other ones are like

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't understand why the
image reversal
cheat in this week's Kakegurui matters. They put down their cards in advance and don't know his cards anyway so it seems like it shouldn't have an impact unless one side was intending on cheating.

It matters because the participants in the room use the revealed cards from the television as a clue to prepare for the next hand. By mirroring the hands at any given point they can mess with collusion.

At least that's how I see it. It didn't seem to matter though against Yumko the God.

Narag

what are the best non-Miyazaki Ghibli movies? I watched all the ones he directed from Totoro to Spirited Away, which were all great, but I'm curious to see what the other ones are like

Anything Takahata and maybe the Yonebayashi stuff. I adore those but they're divisive.

Jarmel

Banned
It matters because the participants in the room use the revealed cards from the television as a clue to prepare for the next hand. By mirroring the hands at any given point they can mess with collusion.

At least that's how I see it. It didn't seem to matter though against Yumko the God.

Right it screws up collusion but the two weren't really collaborating in a deliberate fashion.

The actual gamborus and cheats in Kakegurui arent anywhere near as good as something like Kaiji, but Kakegurui is so hilariously obscene and crazy I can let it slide.

kewlmyc

I didn't know Osomatsu-san was getting a second season. Fuck yeah.

The actual gamborus and cheats in Kakegurui arent anywhere near as good as something like Kaiji, but Kakegurui is so hilariously obscene and crazy I can let it slide.

I can't think of many or any shows that can reach the levels of Kaiji in terms of over the top cheats, so that's fair.

Haly

Right it screws up collusion but the two weren't really collaborating in a deliberate fashion.

Eyepatch girl saw how Yumeko and Suzui duplicated their hands in R2 and so went through with the "trick" in R3. The problem is they fucked it up by 1) Forcing Suzui to place cards without any preplanning. 2) Eyepatch girl actually wants to be shot. So the "reveal" of the trick was actually completely pointless as far as the mental showdown goes. It seems like it's just there to make us impressed by Yumeko's powers of observation.

Re:Creators, Episode 18 - I legit burst out laughing at Yuuya spoiling the ending of his video game series. Probably the funniest gag in this series. utside of that, I found it a little too easy that everyone has turned on Altair by whatevs, the buildup is finally paying off.

Haly

It doesn't make sense I need this explained to me ._ .

Erheller

Hello friends! So I've never really watched too much anime in recent years, but this year has been me procrastinating by binging random series (20 minute breaks are always great) which has helped me to slowly get back into the scene. I'm currently watching Rakugo, which is the only series that aired in the past year that I've seen thus far. I want to try ~watching them as they come~ now like everyone else, but I need recs. Is there any particularly good series airing right now that I should binge? I perused the highlights, but I'd like to hear people's personal recommendations.

For what it's worth, my top 3 favorite anime are:

1) Shirobako
2) Aria the Origination (whole series really)
3) The Tatami Galaxy

Feel free to throw general recommendations too if ya want :) I haven't watched much action anime before (sans Madoka Magica), but I'm willing to get into it if the plotting/characters are on point.

Hey! Shirobako and The Tatami Galaxy are some of my favorite shows too.

Ping Pong - Same director as The Tatami Galaxy. First and foremost a character drama before a sports anime. Follows a wide cast of table tennis players who reach for the stars, fall somewhere short along the way, and become better people because of it. The show also don't treat you like an idiot by narrating every single stroke during the matches.

Hyouka - An excellent character drama disguised as mystery slice-of-life. Uses its compelling characters to explore interesting and relevant themes. Also, it looks fantastic.

Oregairu - I'll just paste what I said in the 2015 GAF AOTY thread. "Oregairu's second season is a poignant story about adolescent insecurity. With well-developed, emotionally resonant characters, it delivers a completely unique experience that is easily the best of the year." The first season and second season are massively different creatures - the first is a bit of a romantic comedy, but the second is closer to a character drama. They're both good, but in my opinion the second season is far stronger than the first.

As for currently-airing anime, there's... really not a whole lot. People have been saying good things about Made in Abyss, but I haven't gotten around to watching it. Tsurezure Children has been pretty great so far, though. It's a comedy with witty dialogue and a fantastic cast. And each episode is only like 12 minutes long, which makes it easy to binge.

Sterok

Black Lagoon

Well that was entertaining. I really need to watch more anime with gun fights. I liked Rock and Revy, though I was a little bugged by how everyone was an awful person. It's appropriate, but it did leave me confused as to how much I'm supposed to like them.

Jarmel

Banned
Eyepatch girl saw how Yumeko and Suzui duplicated their hands in R2 and so went through with the "trick" in R3. The problem is they fucked it up by 1) Forcing Suzui to place cards without any preplanning. 2) Eyepatch girl actually wants to be shot. So the "reveal" of the trick was actually completely pointless as far as the mental showdown goes. It seems like it's just there to make us impressed by Yumeko's powers of observation.

Got it, thanks.

Quasar

I liked Princess Kaguya and Marnie. Probably liked em more than most Miyzaki films.

Grave of the Fireflies is probably the most popular and well-known non-Miyazaki helmed Ghibli film. Most definitely is not a feel good movie though.

The Tale of the Princess Kaguya is probably my personal favorite non-Miyazaki film.

Only Yesterday and Whisper of the Heart are both pretty solid.

Haly

Got it, thanks.

Read the manga, the anime really fucked it somehow. It makes a lot more sense (still bad) the way it's presented in the manga.

Ultimately, while the trick was there to ostensibly throw Yumeko off, eyepatch girl was counting on Yumeko to discover it and preempt it by reversing her card placement as well. This would guarantee eyepatch being shot. Yumeko saw through this double ruse and threw the last round on purpose to blueball eyepatch.

Only Yesterday is a bit sappy, but the overall message resonated with me. It's a slower-paced film, so if you're not a fan of SoL esque movies it may not be your favorite.

Princess Kaguya has a straight forward plot, but you watch for the breathtaking visuals. I remember being consistently amazed throughout the entire production. It's a showstopping force.

Hamst3r

Whisper of the Heart is my favorite, followed by Grave of the Fireflies.

Fall 2017 Anime Season
Are we talking about next season already? Hmm, well although I'll be checking out a number of shows for my seasonal preview (fewer than I expected, actually), my own personal shortlist is still surprisingly long despite that.

Sequels:
Himouto! Umaru-chan R
Kekkai Sensen & Beyond
Love Live! Sunshine!!: Season 2
March Comes in Like a Lion: Season 2
Yuki Yuna is a Hero: Season 2

"New" Shows:
The Ancient Magus' Bride
Girls' Last Tour (Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou)
Kino's Journey: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series
Net-juu no Susume
Vanishing Line

Jarmel

Banned
Re:Creators 17-18
This is the reverse Aldnoah Zero. Show went into overdrive with these past two episodes. Everything is clicking whether it's visually such as with the effects animation (Hashimoto put in work), the comedy, or the dialogue. They're finally fully embracing the concept and the anime is a lot of fun now as a result. These two episodes are surprisingly really good.
It's kind of weird how the animation the past two episodes has been really good, probably the best the show has ever looked. Choreography is improved from the initial episodes, effects animation is great now, and the character art took a jump up in quality.
The twist at the end is absolutely perfect. I was wondering if they were ever going to pull the trigger on that. It's so stupid but so great at the same time. I love it so much.

blurr

Nice, I adore Isao Takahata stuff way more than Miyazaki stuff, all his works leave me something to take home: Only Yesterday, Tale of Princess Kaguya, Pom Poko, My Neighbour's the Yamadas.

When people associate Ghibli with 'normalcy' I always want them to have a look at Pom Poko.

Kakegurui 7
I noticed that the anime messed up a little detail early on that becomes important in this episode. In the manga, Yumeko knows Suzui is right handed because she saw that he used his right hand to signal during her first gambling match with Mary
But in the first episode of the anime, he uses his left hand. Also his hand signal was changed to scissors for some reason

Hello friends! So I've never really watched too much anime in recent years, but this year has been me procrastinating by binging random series (20 minute breaks are always great) which has helped me to slowly get back into the scene. I'm currently watching Rakugo, which is the only series that aired in the past year that I've seen thus far. I want to try ~watching them as they come~ now like everyone else, but I need recs. Is there any particularly good series airing right now that I should binge? I perused the highlights, but I'd like to hear people's personal recommendations.

For what it's worth, my top 3 favorite anime are:

1) Shirobako
2) Aria the Origination (whole series really)
3) The Tatami Galaxy

Feel free to throw general recommendations too if ya want :) I haven't watched much action anime before (sans Madoka Magica), but I'm willing to get into it if the plotting/characters are on point.

My recommendations.

phaze

Never apologize for fighting the good fight!

I'm sorry that I was sorry then !
----

Hey, is this me or does this look pretty edgy promising. First I hear of it.

Synopsis
In a prosperous city named Russell City, an omen that threatens to shake its world begins to move within it. A man named Sword is the first to hear the first stirrings of the plot, and throws himself into a shadow war in order to expose it. His only clue is the key word "El Dorado." He meets Sophie, a woman searching for her missing older brother who has only left her with the same words: "El Dorado." With Sword having also lost his younger sister in the past, both are drawn together by the words, and work together to find out its meaning. (Source: ANN, Edited)

Cast
Sword: Tomokazu Seki (Psycho Pass)
Sophie: Rie Kugimiya (Hidan no Aria)
Luke: Nobunaga Shimazaki (18if)
Gina: Ami Koshimizu (Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Crystal)

Staff
Director: Seong-Hu Park (Garo: Honoo no Kokuin episode director)
Series Composition: Kiyoko Yoshimura (Akuma no Riddle)
Original Character Design: Takashi Okazaki (Afro Samurai original creator)
Character Design, Chief Animation Director: Tomohiro Kishi (91 Days)
Music: MONACA (Wake Up, Girls!)

https://youtu.be/jj9kQi5J6cE

ibyea

Banned
Charcoal Wing Federation: 1-6
The world of this show, what a strange place it is, and it's super mysterious too. Most of the episodes have an idillyc feeling, with Rakka trying to adjust to this new strange world she ended up in, but there is always an undercurrent of melancholy. It is also occasionally oppressive because of all these strange set of rule.

Episode 6 is so far the truly memorable episode, which centers on what happens to the charcoal winged who eventually takes flight. Truly a bittersweet moment, and while they mention it happens with no apparent reason, I gather it happens when one reaches a moment of self actualization of some sort.

I am hooked and I can't wait to find out what the crow analogies will eventually mean.

duckroll

Made in Abyss - Episode 6-7
Don't really care for what's going on here. Ozen is lame character and her only gimmick is that she's creepy. The direction has also taken a hit. But I've been suspecting for a while now that the "narrator" played by Maaya is in fact Lyze and it's nice to have a confirmation. At the rate this show is going the season is going to end with itsfuckingnothing for sure. Zzzz.

Re:Creators - Episode 18
I guess the fights are kinda cool. But the highlight of the episode is having Maaya take a shitload again. Those episodes are the best. I wonder if she goes "wtf?" whenever she gets a new script for this show. Those lines are hilarious.

Bahamut Virgin Soul - Episode 18
Two weeks without this show is so painful. It's so good. I <3. Omg. Need more.... :(

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Normally I'm not great at seeing what looks good from the preview descriptions. From that fall lineup though I'm potentially interested in:

Blend S
Boku no Kanojo ga Majime Sugiru Shojo Bitch na Ken
Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World
Konohana Kitan
Net-Juu no Susume
Osake wa Fuufu ni Natte Kara
Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou
Two Car
Uruhara

And of course, in for season two on Umaru, Osomatsu-San and Yuuki Yuuna. Time to wait and watch what doesn't come out on crunchyroll!

(speaking of which: does anyone here have both CR and Funimation Now subs? I've been wondering whether it's actually worth subbing to both.)

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Don't forget to tuturu~

DUDURRUU :DD

Also what is this:

Anime Gataris

The anime centers on Minoa Asagaya, a new high school student in Sakaneko Private High School. Despite being a novice to anime, Minoa's classmate Arisu Kamiigusa invites her to make an "anime research club" at school. Through conversations with her classmate Miko Kouenji, as well as various anime-loving upperclassmen, Minoa gradually gets hooked on anime. While they stand against the student council's continuous efforts to disband their club, and they ignore the impending end of the world, they talk about anime, whether in Akiba, or in real-life "sacred place" anime settings, or the hot springs.

what

What I gathered from it is that
in the non-apocalyptic world line back in episode 1, he sees she's been murdered. In order to continue on that world line, he's got to continue on as if that's happened rather than prevent the event from occurring altogether. So by faking her death, his past self can still see she's been murdered (as he had originally) without actually killing her.

I figured it was something along those lines. I'm still unsure about the details, though.
I assume the non-dystopic world line Okabe just needed to temporarily think Kurisu was death in order to not send the first D-mail and crash Suzuha's time machine. Because at the end we see that Kurisu went looking for her saver and eventually reunites with him (at least that's heavily suggested in one of the last scenes).
But maybe this means Okabe didn't achieve his intended objective and is still stuck with the dilemma between saving the world and saving Kurisu.

Steins;Gate - 13
Goddammit.

Life has no more meaning.

Yeah, those episodes are heartbreaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom