• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super TIME Force Ultra |OT| Super Friends on Super Adventures [PC out now]

sheaaaa

Lol that doctor at the start cracked me up.

like dis if u cri evrytiem

Any early predictions on how hard the 1000 gs is from some of you guys further into the game?

Very easy to get all the achievements (apart from the bugged one), only one that could give you trouble is the hidden
speedrun one level
achievement.

Daigoro

Only complaint is the lack of being able to remap the lock aim function from LB to the triggers...they feel more comfortable than the bumpers on either Xbox controller. Great job, Capybara.

holy crap there is a lock aim button? well this changes everything! lol

was this in the tutorial at all? totally missed it. that's going to make life a lot easier. played through 2-3 missions earlier without it.

ohlawd

holy crap there is a lock aim button? well this changes everything! lol

was this in the tutorial at all? totally missed it. that's going to make life a lot easier. played through 2-3 missions earlier without it.

nope, not in the forced tutorial. It's in the controls section at the main menu though.

I knew about it before playing the game but I haven't used it yet.

Daigoro

controls is normally the first thing I check in a game. was having too much fun in the limited time I had to play this morning to bother though. sure I would've figured it out eventually... heh. glad it's in there. im sure the lack of it would've gotten annoying after some more play time.

SO I attempted to save a replay of my very first level play through today, but of course I get the good old XBONE video not found error... yay! :(

don't tell me you saved my clip when you didn't xbone. dick.

shandy706

Got to play first couple of levels and bosses.

This game is a ton of fun! Pretty easy so far, guessing it cranks the difficulty and punishment for dying soon?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Not a problem at all! Helps me put some rhyme to the reasonless slaughter that just occurred on screen, too.

The characters only act out as much as you make them do. So if all one needs is 2 seconds of backup, you play that, press "B" to Time out, and then do it again on that spot. If you want them to run 60 seconds of stage and then rewind, and fight along side them, that's ALSO an option! Each clone will act out the total actions you played. After that, they disappear.

There's some unique wrinkles to that, but hopefully, you just naturally catch on to them as you play.

People you timeout yourself just disappear, I believe. This takes one of your 30 lives. The ones that are killed pop a little skull bubble up on screen, showing where they died. If you save them, then they float in space, waiting to be rescued and become a power up. I think this still counts as a lost life, too.

The powerup adds their charge attack to yours. So you can actually have Shieldy shooting Aimy's sniper shots while dropping a shield, or a Aimy sniper rifle that shoots Mel's Shotgun shells simultaneously...

So basically each spawned character counts as a resource. Either one that gave you assistance, and disappears, or one that can be saved from death, and absorbed to give you extra firepower and HP.

The Glorbs in the stages each give you an additional life, so you don't have to worry TOO MUCH about spending lives for profit, initially.

It's satisfying to me, that in a game that allows you to have SO MUCH firepower... one properly used character still feels like they can wreck shop. I think I fell in love with Melanie Gibson and her shotgfun at first use. She actually did REAL damage, much like Aimy's charges.

I also love how watching the replays can make you look like the BEST PLAYER EVER, haha. All you see is a straight run, with you killing enemies before they have a chance to fire, deftly maneuvering through obstacles, and grabbing each secret, without any stop in progress.

It's almost like every stage is your very own Tool-Assisted Superplay!

When a person dies, I believe you regain the life if you prevent the death and get them as a powerup.

But yeah, there's a lot of really interesting wrinkles here. The bosses are where it shines the most, as if you play through normally until time runs out, then reverse to the start and just looking for places to pump out damage, eventually you will kick into the next phase faster than you went through before and throw everyone off. I had one that I thought was stationary, so I had multiple guys set up not even aiming, just constantly shooting forward. I stacked it enough and didn't even realize there were multiple stages where different boss enemies showed up, but luckily I had so much on the screen that it actually did constant damage to all the phases.

Couple of really good matches I've used:

-Just about anyone + Shieldy as a powerup. Being able to drop a protective cover helps a lot, though Jean specifically standing on an edge where he can get the most out of his scatter is great.

-Aimy + Jef gives you a very powerful single hit, or clears a line of weaker enemies and for the rocket to hit a tougher enemy in the back. Plus you can still shoot through walls even if the rocket whiffs.

-Merlin + Zackasaurus seems good for AoE. Moving enemies get hurt by all the sludge, and Merlin's orb rapidly hits whatever walks through.

I'm still missing a couple but I'm liking the choices you get as the roster expands. I also think it's really clever how you can in a sense screw yourself over, such as in the first prehistoric level there's a platforming part where the rocks collapse. I first went through here with a character that got a slowdown orb so I could get a glorb off a raptor enemy, but it meant that rock dropped really early and was extremely hard to go back and fix. But man is it fun to pull off. This happens a lot with the explosive barrels that launch a glorb in the opposite direction too. But it's nice to know you can essentially go to the start of a level, just go quickly in a suicidal-ish run and get to the spot ahead you need, wait for it, then reverse back knowing it stays collected regardless of how the level is tampered with.

controls is normally the first thing I check in a game. was having too much fun in the limited time I had to play this morning to bother though. sure I would've figured it out eventually... heh. glad it's in there. im sure the lack of it would've gotten annoying after some more play time.

SO I attempted to save a replay of my very first level play through today, but of course I get the good old XBONE video not found error... yay! :(

don't tell me you saved my clip when you didn't xbone. dick.

This happened to me too. For a heads up whenever you hit Y to record, watch the entire replay go through into the next level. I don't think it works otherwise.

Grisby

Just had an error where I reached the end of a level and then a battery indicator flashed and then the level restarted. My batteries are full in the controller and I'm pretty sure I had time on the clock.

Kind of a bummer, :/

nbraun80

So do we know what you get for doing all of the Watcher things? There's not an achievement tied to them(besides doing your first one) so I'm not sure I wanna spend a lot of time doing them. I spent about an hour just doing the first 198x one. It's aggravating because you're obviously going for speed, but in doing so it's incredibility hard to activate the time-slows a second time if you die after you activate them because you're trying to beat your ghost to the time-slow by fractions of a second.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Capybara said there was something neat which was exclusive to the XBone's version, what was that?

Checked through the OP (good job btw!) but I couldn't find what differences there are (if any) between X360 and XBone

Main difference is resolution/frame rate.

Exclusive feature is at end of level it shows you your completed run, you can press Y to save and it uploads.

Obviously xbox one version also has 1000g instead of 400g on achievements and quite a tough challenge achievement.

Gowans

Played this last night after work and it's fantastic!

The controls are tight, I already know which guys I like to use and which are needed for certain circumstances and the art is just gorgeous!

I've done 108X and I'm mid X100,000,000 and I can't wait to play more.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

Exclusive feature is at end of level it shows you your completed run, you can press Y to save and it uploads.

Obviously xbox one version also has 1000g instead of 400g on achievements and quite a tough challenge achievement.
So it runs at 60fps on the One?

I think my game is bugged, but I'm not sure. When you guys hit B to stop time, does the game automatically rewind all the way to the beginning of the level every time? The button prompts at the bottom of the screen are giving me the impression that I should be able to scroll back and forward through time and choose when I want to respawn. It seems weird...

nbraun80

I think my game is bugged, but I'm not sure. When you guys hit B to stop time, does the game automatically rewind all the way to the beginning of the level every time? The button prompts at the bottom of the screen are giving me the impression that I should be able to scroll back and forward through time and choose when I want to respawn. It seems weird...
hmm are you by changing hitting LB too? That does a full rewind.

hmm are you by changing hitting LB too? That does a full rewind.

Yeah it's weird. When you first change characters in the tutorial, the only button prompt you see is A and what looks like a big play button. But pressing A here does nothing for me. To switch characters I have to press LB and X at the same time. Pressing A or RT when time is stopped do nothing at all for me.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood

AEREC

Ya it's weird, it says use LT or RT to go forward or back but those don't do anything. I use the analog stick for that...hitting A allows me to switch characters though.

nbraun80

lol at the ending and damn at Super Hardcore Mode.
I can't Mitsurugi anymore. ;(
just beat it too and definitely had a great...time. Lol. Not sure whether to go back and get glorbs and shards or start super hardcore. Super hardcore sounds like you have to play a lot safer.

Vert boil

just beat it too and definitely had a great...time. Lol. Not sure whether to go back and get glorbs and shards or start super hardcore. Super hardcore sounds like you have to play a lot safer.

Yeah, I could probably do most of the levels in SHM, eventually, but when it comes to
Dr ∞ level 2... I can't even imagine completing that without an army of Amy's.

Am I the only one to have issues with the ranking achievement ?

With it being hard to achieve or it not unlocking?

Enough people seem to be unlocking it (link contains a guide, just in case you don't want to read one) - http://www.trueachievements.com/a186532/something-smells-rank-achievement.htm?showguides=1

Nemesis_

Super Hardcore was much easier to complete than I as expecting. =/ I guess I got to a point where I was just super proficient at everything

I think I've seen all this game has to offer now

Kajiba

Beat the game

ho5hgu7.gif

Time for Super Hardcore Mode

nbraun80

Yeah, I could probably do most of the levels in SHM, eventually, but when it comes to
Dr ∞ level 2... I can't even imagine completing that without an army of Amy's.

With it being hard to achieve or it not unlocking?

Enough people seem to be unlocking it (link contains a guide, just in case you don't want to read one) - http://www.trueachievements.com/a186532/something-smells-rank-achievement.htm?showguides=1
yeah that was quite annoying, the final boss fight would be a nightmare too I think
Super Hardcore was much easier to complete than I as expecting. =/ I guess I got to a point where I was just super proficient at everything

I think I've seen all this game has to offer now

damn son, you flew through that. Ha did you go an collect all glorbs and shards too?

Zornack

Great fun, had a blast the whole way through.

Do you unlock anything for
getting all of the lookers?
I only got one and getting them all seems like it would be quite a task.

Lucent

I beat three of the six worlds. I'm not sure how anyone would have trouble understanding the time mechanics/controls. Whoever said that this game was trying to do too much must've got overwhelmed somehow. The only difficult thing about this game is choosing the right setups to get through the levels the fastest and easiest. Otherwise, it's pretty freak'n easy.

Love'n it, though. Might make a poster out of the pixel art if I can blow it up enough. Though it might not look too good blown up so I will try to redo them pixel by pixel if I have to. I haven't really searched for any hi-res versions.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

Oh wow it's 60fps vs 30fps on 360?! Then it' settled, I'm going with XBone

Bsigg12

I beat three of the six worlds. I'm not sure how anyone would have trouble understanding the time mechanics/controls. Whoever said that this game was trying to do too much must've got overwhelmed somehow. The only difficult thing about this game is choosing the right setups to get through the levels the fastest and easiest. Otherwise, it's pretty freak'n easy.

Love'n it, though. Might make a poster out of the pixel art if I can blow it up enough. Though it might not look too good blown up so I will try to redo them pixel by pixel if I have to. I haven't really searched for any hi-res versions.

Getting the setups right are where you'll see the best of the best come out. Making the most of each rewind is key to understanding high level play. As for reviewers who said it was overly complicated, they must have a tough time with spatial and forward thinking. The system is one of the best designed time travel mechanics I've ever used in a game to feature on the fly time travel.

Lucent

Getting the setups right are where you'll see the best of the best come out. Making the most of each rewind is key to understanding high level play. As for reviewers who said it was overly complicated, they must have a tough time with spatial and forward thinking. The system is one of the best designed time travel mechanics I've ever used in a game to feature on the fly time travel.

Yeah. But the other thing is that you can go forward and backward during a time out and see what's going on and place your character at the exact moment you feel is necessary. I mean you can see it. It's not like you tap the button and hope for the best. lol. Yeah they really did an awesome job on this.

EDIT: Also I gotta say I love Shieldy. He's so useful. Not only can he block just about anything, but his shield smash is awesome for killing things right after they stop shooting. He might not have any range (unless powered up by someone who does), but he's really useful.

My mind is full of fuck after playing through some of this. It's easy to overwhelm yourself thinking about what you're capable of doing with character combinations, but I'm enjoying it regardless. Think I'll just 'casually' cruise through stages before worrying about improving completion times and picking up the various collectibles.

Laws00

Does anybody know where the hell I can find
Squirty Harry
at? Is he in the 9600 BC or somerthing?

Kajiba

Does anybody know where the hell I can find
Squirty Harry
at? Is he in the 9600 BC or somerthing?

Get 50% of shards and glorbs if I remember correctly. You unlock Stash and Squirty Harry at the sametime.

On Capy Stream today they said 16 characters are in the game. I know who the 15 are and know how to get them. But 16th character I have no idea who it is. I should of ask them on the stream.

Laws00

Get 50% of shards and glorbs if I remember correctly. You unlock Stash and Squirty Harry at the sametime.

On Capy Stream today they said 16 characters are in the game. I know who the 15 are and know how to get them. But 16th character I have no idea who it is. I should of ask them on the stream.

thank you

Nemesis_

There is one where you get 100% of Glorbs and Shards.

Re-Bot or something, as well as Da Vinci

Kajiba

There is one where you get 100% of Glorbs and Shards.

Re-Bot or something, as well as Da Vinci

Yeah, that makes the count up to 15 that I know of If I counted correctly. Saw them play each character too on the stream.
Da Vinci looks pretty fun

nbraun80

so how do i beat the Boss of the Dino level those rockets blow up way to fast lol and if i do pass that i end up running out of time.
You talking the big dino that eats the little one at the end of the first level, or at the end when you're flying? Both situations I'd say don't underestimating using one life as just shieldy and laying down as many shields as you can to protect the rest of your lives. Also for the 1,000,000 bc end boss, If you're getting low on time allocate more firepower early on to tear through the early stages faster, specially the bombs can be killed before they blow up half the screen.

You talking the big dino that eats the little one at the end of the first level, or at the end when you're flying? Both situations I'd say don't underestimating using one life as just shieldy and laying down as many shields as you can to protect the rest of your lives. Also for the 1,000,000 bc end boss, If you're getting low on time allocate more firepower early on to tear through the early stages faster, specially the bombs can be killed before they blow up half the screen.

You can destroy the missiles? oh shit well thats gonna make things easier, thanks

Stoze

Yeah, that makes the count up to 15 that I know of If I counted correctly. Saw them play each character too on the stream.
Da Vinci looks pretty fun

Maybe you get the 16th after getting the STF badge/rank on all levels? That's what I'm working on right now, shit is hard.

Just beat the game a little bit ago on 360, was pretty darn fun. The game really shined on the boss battles; have a few guys block bullets, set up enemies on multiple sides of the screen, then have people open fire on the weakpoints. Loved the art, music, and the story and writing was charming. The gameplay was good for the most part but I have a few gripes:

-Having to move before or while shooting diagonally can be a pain in the butt, and it has made me fall off things or die from side fire too many times to count. Not sure why right bumper or left bumper dosen't aim diagonally ala Metroid. The lock button on left bumper is helpful, but having to move a smidgeon when aiming diagonally, hit the bumper asap, and then unlock feels unorthodox to perform.

-Rewinding or dieing puts you back quite far a lot of the time before you can manually rewind. This becomes frustrating when I'm trying to go for the lookers and its keeps putting me back farther when I just need to make minor adjustments right before I died. I get that it's supposed to give you room to breathe and survive before going in again, but once you get used to the game it just becomes an annoyance.

-The characters and controls just feel a bit too weightless and fragile for my liking. I know that everybody is supposed to feel like a glass canon, but the unchanging, constant speed of every character really throws me off a lot.

Top Bottom