• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super TIME Force Ultra |OT| Super Friends on Super Adventures [PC out now]

Nemesis_

Thanks for the vid, it'll help us look into and hopefully resolve the issue. We've only heard of a few people getting it, so it's rare as hell, but we'll do our best to sort it.

How many of you have unlocked the 100% Glorb & 100% Shard characters? Wondering if you've figured out any of the tricks with
Da Vinci
or
Re-bot
?

Regarding the former, I love how their charge attacks can be used as platforms.

The Flash

Banned
I LOVE this game. I'm doing my first YouTube/Twitch (heh) video series on it and I'm having a blast. Love the characters, love the humor, love the easter eggs, love everything about this game.

Stoze

Thanks for the vid, it'll help us look into and hopefully resolve the issue. We've only heard of a few people getting it, so it's rare as hell, but we'll do our best to sort it.

How many of you have unlocked the 100% Glorb & 100% Shard characters? Wondering if you've figured out any of the tricks with
Da Vinci
or
Re-bot
?

Can use Da Vinci's little turrets as platforms, and Re-bot has missiles that slide off walls/the ground and are homing. He can glide by shooting rockets into the ground. Pretty awesome characters.

Uh I think the 360 leaderboards are frozen? I've been getting more STF and looker ranks/medals and lowering my time in both hardcore and regular modes, but my medals and time have been the same on the leaderboards for quite a few days now.

Just downloaded an 101Mo update, the Fire Range achievement works now, thanks Capy !

Is it the only fixe ? Nothing else ?

It fixes a couple sound bugs that we hated and wanted to fix as well. But the achievement fix is the big one.

I LOVE this game. I'm doing my first YouTube/Twitch (heh) video series on it and I'm having a blast. Love the characters, love the humor, love the easter eggs, love everything about this game.

Wow, thanks. Reading stuff like this is super gratifying :)

oh god I am SO BAD at this game. I mean, it's great, but clearly I am not able to play it well. Used up all 30 time-outs in 10,000,000 BC stage 2 and was like "fudge me I am bad at video games and feel bad about myself." Keep rewinding back to a couple of seconds before and dying immediately to something I hadn't yet killed, which is great.

Read the thread and realize a) I'm not crazy about diagonal shooting being shit, thank god; b) the left bumper actually does something, and though I don't really know what "lock-on" means in the context of STF I should try it out; and c) wait I should be rewinding all the way back to the beginning of the level and cruising through the first bits? And I won't run out of time on the stage? Because that was happening a lot on 10mil BC stage 2 and all I got was NEED TO GO FASTER MUST GO FASTER YOU ARE TOO SLOW FASTER FASTER FASTER.

ohlawd

The left bumper makes it so the direction your character is facing is fixed when held.

Useful when you want to aim diagonally.

Yuterald

Cross-posting from the backlog thread....

Just finished Super Time Force. Cool game. Had sort of a honeymoon phase with it though. The first two days or so I thought it was pretty exceptional. The further/more I played the more exhausted I became with the concept/mechanics. I thought the final boss/stage segments utilized the rewind/time idea the best. The side/collecting objectives are fun and everything, but I feel like the game needed a traditional scoring mode. I could have also done without all the internet/meme humor. Totally not my cup of tear. All in all though, it's an interesting take/hybrid on the traditional run n' gun shooter formula. I unlocked Super Hardcore Mode and I may try and run it/clear it by June 15th so I can get that one Challenge/Achievement.

So I took all the tips into consideration and ended up dying at pretty much the same place I did before I came to this thread. Should I just try another section? Like, is 10,000,000 BC just the really hard one, or do I unlock some really useful people in the other time periods? Or should I just give up now because I'm not good at this?

Yuterald

So I took all the tips into consideration and ended up dying at pretty much the same place I did before I came to this thread. Should I just try another section? Like, is 10,000,000 BC just the really hard one, or do I unlock some really useful people in the other time periods? Or should I just give up now because I'm not good at this?

It sounds like you're not effectively using the time out function. There's no way you should be running on of 30 guys/lives on a regular stage. Are you having trouble with a particular area in the stage or the boss of the level? Are you just running out of time? Bosses you feel taking too long to kill? This game is all about layering on the extra damage by timing out/cloning your characters. With bosses, say you arrive at one, you volley as much shit at it as possible with one character, time out, rewind to the beginning of the fight, select a new character and begin the process over and over again. Damage will continue to layer itself and you can wipe bosses out relatively quickly.

ohlawd

that BC one isn't too bad. Actually, the only time I really had trouble was the one with the flying cars and the boss was the 3-part train with the missile launcher up top.

I only tried once in Hardcore and yeah, first time I ran out of 30 lives. I play super reckless tho lol. I don't pay attention to where my old life died so I'd die like 2-3 times at the same spot >_>

Vert boil

The second level of 10,000,000 BC was one of the more involved ones. Just play some other Time zones and come back to it at the end. The more you play, the more manageable you'll find the game.

xray49er

Having a blast with this game but the jetpack level with the angels is super hard only time I used all 30 lives I'll try again later

It sounds like you're not effectively using the time out function. There's no way you should be running on of 30 guys/lives on a regular stage. Are you having trouble with a particular area in the stage or the boss of the level? Are you just running out of time? Bosses you feel taking too long to kill? This game is all about layering on the extra damage by timing out/cloning your characters. With bosses, say you arrive at one, you volley as much shit at it as possible with one character, time out, rewind to the beginning of the fight, select a new character and begin the process over and over again. Damage will continue to layer itself and you can wipe bosses out relatively quickly.

Sometimes, even when I rewind to the beginning of a level, I'll run my guys through and I'll be in such a rush to try and get ahead of my dead people so I can save them that I get 1mm ahead of where I died and then die again. That sucks a lot. And then sometimes, I'll hang back and try to let my dead lives clear the way (all the while knowing that time is ticking and I'm going slower than I did before) only to die even before I get somewhere because of some errant shot that I forgot was going to be there, or because in a previous life I was standing somewhere else that was safe but where I chose to stand this time was not, or because I missed a random grenade being thrown, or whatever.

The bosses I've fought so far have actually been manageable because there's really only one trick: clone your dudes and get them to fire from all angles so you knock out all the "shoot the red targets" stages out of the way as fast as possible. It's the regular levels that screw me up.

The second level of 10,000,000 BC was one of the more involved ones. Just play some other Time zones and come back to it at the end. The more you play, the more manageable you'll find the game.

I'll try this, then. Hopefully the other time periods treat me better!

Yuterald

Sometimes, even when I rewind to the beginning of a level, I'll run my guys through and I'll be in such a rush to try and get ahead of my dead people so I can save them that I get 1mm ahead of where I died and then die again. That sucks a lot. And then sometimes, I'll hang back and try to let my dead lives clear the way (all the while knowing that time is ticking and I'm going slower than I did before) only to die even before I get somewhere because of some errant shot that I forgot was going to be there, or because in a previous life I was standing somewhere else that was safe but where I chose to stand this time was not, or because I missed a random grenade being thrown, or whatever.

The bosses I've fought so far have actually been manageable because there's really only one trick: clone your dudes and get them to fire from all angles so you knock out all the "shoot the red targets" stages out of the way as fast as possible. It's the regular levels that screw me up.

I'll try this, then. Hopefully the other time periods treat me better!

Yeah, I would not waste time/sit around waiting to save allies/allowing them to clear the way. I actually never used the rewind function all the way back to the beginning of the stage unless I was going for that one optional/looker objective or whatever they're called. I would just play the stage as best/fast as you can (while collecting all/most of the clocks) and not obsess over trying to save every little death/mistake. The only time I would fire out rewinds during a level is if there was some barricade/sub-enemy or boss that took a lot of damage/time to get rid of. That's what the game essentially breaks down to.

I know this probably sounds like what you already know/have read, but I'm not sure what else to say, ha! I guess just keep at it or try out a few other stages until you get it down.

Yeah, I would not waste time/sit around waiting to save allies/allowing them to clear the way. I actually never used the rewind function all the way back to the beginning of the stage unless I was going for that one optional/looker objective or whatever they're called. I would just play the stage as best/fast as you can (while collecting all/most of the clocks) and not obsess over trying to save every little death/mistake. The only time I would fire out rewinds during a level is if there was some barricade/sub-enemy or boss that took a lot of damage/time to get rid of. That's what the game essentially breaks down to.

I know this probably sounds like what you already know/have read, but I'm not sure what else to say, ha! I guess just keep at it or try out a few other stages until you get it down.

I switched to 9600 BC and tried to see if I could prolong individual lives, even if it meant I would likely run out of time in the level. And although I came pretty close to running out of time on most of the stages, I did manage to beat the whole time period without running through my 30 lives. There was more thought put into the placement of the +10s clocks than I first realized, and after a while I figured out spots where I could regain some time because I no longer had to stop and deal with a particular enemy (or sets of enemies).

So yeah, maybe it really does just take a lot of time to get a feel for how the game works. I'm probably still not there yet but I think I'm finally getting the hang of things!

Finished the game a couple days ago, enjoyed it but I eventually reached the point where I was just throwing waves on waves of characters at everything. The Best boss strategy always seemed to be dozens of Jean Rambois and just fire in one direction.

I'm interested in trying hardcore mode though, that mode seems to be more of what I was looking for in STF.

see5harp

I switched to 9600 BC and tried to see if I could prolong individual lives, even if it meant I would likely run out of time in the level. And although I came pretty close to running out of time on most of the stages, I did manage to beat the whole time period without running through my 30 lives. There was more thought put into the placement of the +10s clocks than I first realized, and after a while I figured out spots where I could regain some time because I no longer had to stop and deal with a particular enemy (or sets of enemies).

So yeah, maybe it really does just take a lot of time to get a feel for how the game works. I'm probably still not there yet but I think I'm finally getting the hang of things!

The moment you figure out how the game works is when you start to go for the lookers on each level, which basically require you to clear the level and obstacles as quickly as possible, and then do it over and over while getting the slow downs in order to push faster and faster.

Vert boil

https://twitter.com/CAPYGAMES/status/480055601943547904
/// Updates for both the Xbox One & Xbox 360 versions of Super Time Force should be hitting soon-ish! Leaderboard fixes & more. #Kookabunga

It's at least up for 360 now.

Also, Super TIME Force characters will be part of the next batch of horse armour for Minecraft 360 that should be out soon.
http://playxbla.com/skins-skins-and-more-skins/
MC_SkinPack6_Render_SuperTimeForce_render.jpg

MC_Skinpack6-Screenshot-SuperTimeForce.jpg

KooopaKid

Banned
So what's everyone verdict on this game? It's the type of game that should be loved here but the thread is only 12 pages long. What happened? Transistor seemed to have a better following.

So what's everyone verdict on this game? It's the type of game that should be loved here but the thread is only 12 pages long. What happened? Transistor seemed to have a better following.

Its a great game. Couldn't explain the length of the thread, PS4 install base among gaffers vs Xbox One/360 (active 360 anyway) install base among gaffers?

AEREC

It's a great game with some unique gameplay...but people expecting a straight arcade side scrolling shooter (ala Contra) were a bit disappointed.

TK Turk

Banned
I enjoyed it, but the replay value wasn't very high for me. I'd recommend getting it, if it was out this fall when it will be up against a lot of big good games, I wouldn't recommend it.

KooopaKid

Banned
Its a great game. Couldn't explain the length of the thread, PS4 install base among gaffers vs Xbox One/360 (active 360 anyway) install base among gaffers?

Maybe or the long development time made people forget about the game.

I enjoyed it, but the replay value wasn't very high for me. I'd recommend getting it, if it was out this fall when it will be up against a lot of big good games, I wouldn't recommend it.

I agree there's almost no replay value, just finishing the levels don't require much strategy, one of the most interesting aspects was trying to reach the transparent guys in time but it's a bit too difficult to do in several levels and I gave up. A ranking or combo system would have helped with replayability.

Gliffyr

I agree there's almost no replay value, just finishing the levels don't require much strategy, one of the most interesting aspects was trying to reach the transparent guys in time but it's a bit too difficult to do in several levels and I gave up. A ranking or combo system would have helped with replayability.
While I had a great time in my playthrough, in some ways the lack of stategical importance in playing really hindered my enjoyment on things. After going through the first few levels exclusively with Jean/Aimy, I found that though I was progressing through well enough, things dragged a little despite the unique time-travel feature. Because gunning down everything in sight works quite well for basically every encounter in the game, there's never really any reason to ever experiment with anything else.

Though the skillsets of Jean and Aimy are probably the most effective at getting things done, once I started branching out into the other characters things got a lot more enjoyable. Some characters like Merlin I never really found much of a use for, but they all have their own interesting niche if they're experimented with. Zackasaurus and Lou Don Jim are hard to find uses for due to enemy overload and melee being dangerous, but they find a nice place in boss fights. Using Shieldy feels very awkward if you're trying to kill stuff, but he's great at deflecting bullets and attacks that would otherwise kill past selves. Shieldy taking Cleo's power, for example, doesn't exactly make him a powerhouse, but it does provide him with the ability to permanently stay in shield mode while adding some surrounding boomerangs for additional melee damage. It's not exactly the most useful revelation, but finding out combinations like these is quite enjoyable!

It would be interesting to see how a ranking system would be implemented, as I do agree about there being a lack of clear reasons to return. I have yet to try it, but I think Super Hardcore Mode is where the main replayability lies for those that give it a fair shot. After zooming through the game throwing countless lives away haphazardly, I like the idea of having to be more conscious about dying and having to use other characters if your mainstays die. Shooting well and surviving doesn't exactly feel bad, but it's not really where the fun comes in compared to games like Contra where that's their whole point. Trying to utilize the various strengths of the time force members simultaneously while also learning how to effectively manage time though... it provides for a way of thinking that I simply haven't seen in other games.

Considering Capy made Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes as well though, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that I found Super Time Force's unique gameplay to be very enjoyable. This sort of came out of left field for me to be honest, as I don't pay attention to PSN/XBL games and there wasn't much word of mouth for it from what I could tell, but maybe all that's needed is more exposure. Something that a future Steam release would hopefully promise, eh?

KooopaKid

Banned
While I had a great time in my playthrough, in some ways the lack of stategical importance in playing really hindered my enjoyment on things. After going through the first few levels exclusively with Jean/Aimy, I found that though I was progressing through well enough, things dragged a little despite the unique time-travel feature. Because gunning down everything in sight works quite well for basically every encounter in the game, there's never really any reason to ever experiment with anything else.

Though the skillsets of Jean and Aimy are probably the most effective at getting things done, once I started branching out into the other characters things got a lot more enjoyable. Some characters like Merlin I never really found much of a use for, but they all have their own interesting niche if they're experimented with. Zackasaurus and Lou Don Jim are hard to find uses for due to enemy overload and melee being dangerous, but they find a nice place in boss fights. Using Shieldy feels very awkward if you're trying to kill stuff, but he's great at deflecting bullets and attacks that would otherwise kill past selves. Shieldy taking Cleo's power, for example, doesn't exactly make him a powerhouse, but it does provide him with the ability to permanently stay in shield mode while adding some surrounding boomerangs for additional melee damage. It's not exactly the most useful revelation, but finding out combinations like these is quite enjoyable!

It would be interesting to see how a ranking system would be implemented, as I do agree about there being a lack of clear reasons to return. I have yet to try it, but I think Super Hardcore Mode is where the main replayability lies for those that give it a fair shot. After zooming through the game throwing countless lives away haphazardly, I like the idea of having to be more conscious about dying and having to use other characters if your mainstays die. Shooting well and surviving doesn't exactly feel bad, but it's not really where the fun comes in compared to games like Contra where that's their whole point. Trying to utilize the various strengths of the time force members simultaneously while also learning how to effectively manage time though... it provides for a way of thinking that I simply haven't seen in other games.

Considering Capy made Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes as well though, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that I found Super Time Force's unique gameplay to be very enjoyable. This sort of came out of left field for me to be honest, as I don't pay attention to PSN/XBL games and there wasn't much word of mouth for it from what I could tell, but maybe all that's needed is more exposure. Something that a future Steam release would hopefully promise, eh?

Nice write-up. I didn't try Super Hardcore Mode myself, didn't have the need to and it sounded more frustrating than fun, particularly as several characters are useless/not fun to play with (Zackasaurus and Lou Don Jim as mentionned). I can't imagine being efficient without the girl that can shoot through walls. The fun in the game is in optimizing the perfect run, not in using characters with different powers (Only the shield is strategically useful). Maybe that's why there's not much replayability: once you have finished a level, you have already made the perfect run. You can't really improve or need to. It's more a puzzle-game than a skill based game. You don't really need any reflex and fast reactions. You just have to identify the chocke points and rewind time to go through them the fastest.
The scoring system could have been based on time to complete the level/number of remaining lives/percentage of ennemy destroyed. And a combo system similar to RE Mercenaries with each ennemy killed adding a bit a time to the clock?

Vert boil

http://www.capybaragames.com/2014/07/super-time-force-ultra-on-steam-soundtrack/

Two pieces of exciting Super Time Force news:

First, Super Time Force Ultra is coming to Steam this summer! We’ll be bringing STFU to PC players in the not-so-distant future, and while we’re at it, we’re adding some very cool (but presently very secret) stuff to our crazy time-traveling game!

Second, the Super Time Force Soundtrack by 6955 is now available!
SUPER TIME FORCE OST ON BANDCAMP!
SUPER TIME FORCE OST ON ITUNES!

Starting RIGHT NOW you can pick up the 53-track album of insanely amazing chiptunes from Super Time Force, by our good friend 6955. Sure, we’re a little biased, but the entire team here at Capy can’t believe how amazing this album turned out. Your ears will thank you.

We’ll share more about Super Time Force Ultra on Steam shortly, so stay tuned here and on twitter!

Etnos

Banned
Bought this game at launch but had no chance to put some time in to it, till yesterday. Good stuff gentlemen, good stuff!

Vert boil

PC release date has been announced, August 25th. It will be 15$.

Extra stuff will come to at least the Xbox One, eventually. (Crom didn't mention XBLA in the IGN video, could have just not mentioned it by mistake. *shrug*)

Super Time Force Ultra, the updated, spit-shined, expanded version of Capy Games' Super Time Force, is due out on Steam on August 25, Capy co-founder Nathan Vella said during a meeting at Gamescom this afternoon. The official announcement is due to hit the wider web any moment now.

Super Time Force Ultra includes 50 new levels, three "crazy new characters," a new power-up move and more cool stuff.

"We kind of went a little crazy," Vella said. "And then we actually went back and added a ton of art. Added more art to it, a bunch more sounds, an entirely secondary soundtrack to the game now which takes place during slow motion. I don't know. It's nuts. It's kind of dumb."

Or kind of great.
http://www.joystiq.com/2014/08/14/super-time-force-ultra-flies-to-steam-on-august-25/

There's going to be 50 new challenge-based levels, three additional characters, and the ultra force -- alternate-dimension versions of all existing characters who are more powerful (and more limited in supply) that blow up when they die. They'll be usable after beating the game.
http://www.destructoid.com/super-ti...s-month-with-lots-of-new-content-279639.phtml

IGN stage demo

edit,
lol and Ultra Zack's acid attack.

Mr. Tibbs

Just picked up the Steam version. Huge fan of Capy, especially after Clash of Heroes. Looking forward to checking it out tonight.

Vert boil

Recorded some footage of early challenge rooms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwneo_0qnJs

Speaking of which, the challenges incorporate the Valve DLC characters and I'm reading only the Steam version has them. Does the GOG version just not have 50 challenges?

The GoG page mentions the Helladeck.
Hop into story mode and traverse 6 different era's of time, or see if you can triumph in the Helladeck challenge levels!
No idea if the Valve characters were switched out or those ?few levels aren't in there.

Tokubetsu

Having the tutorial be a part of the main chunk of the game is stupid. I've had to redo it twice now because something comes up and I have to dip before doing the first level.

Having the tutorial be a part of the main chunk of the game is stupid. I've had to redo it twice now because something comes up and I have to dip before doing the first level.

They just updated the game. You can skip the tutorials now. :) Maybe they are spying on this thread :D The devs have an account here. http://steamcommunity.com/app/250700/discussions/1/34095684699275199/

I've played over 20 hours since it released and I think the game is awesome! Now I just need to get all the glorbs, finish the new helladeck challenge levels, and try the Super Hardcore Mode!

RedSwirl

Just blasted through the PC version. At first I wasn't sure about the time mechanic either but the 360 demo convinced me to go ahead and buy it. Game is seriously dope. At its base it feels a lot like Contra and a little like Gunstar Heroes (but not nearly as difficult as those games).

It's nice to see a game built on a mechanic that has as much depth as this time mechanic. The simplest thing to do is just brute force problems by stacking Jeans (or Zoes), and an issue with some of the bosses is that's really all you CAN do. After a couple levels though I started using the rewind to save a lot of time on runs, devoting characters to specific tasks. Even brute forcing on a boss though has the effect of forcing it into subsequent phases sooner and sooner. On the last boss I rewound to the beginning each time I died, so by the end I had like 30 Zoes ending each phase in about a second so by the time the final phase showed up, most of them were still doing their pre-recorded actions they were originally doing in earlier phases. Weird.

Super Time Force can definitely get chaotic though, but part of the game is managing that chaos.

I think I'm gonna see if I can go through previous levels more efficiently and try the Helladeck. Messed up part is, I went through the whole game not realizing it has a lock aim button.

I cant't get past 9600 BC chapter 2. Every time I beat the boss the level immediately restarts. There's no replay, no ranking. It's always the same.

Xbox One version here.

Top Bottom