• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super TIME Force Ultra |OT| Super Friends on Super Adventures [PC out now]

AEREC

-Having to move before or while shooting diagonally can be a pain in the butt, and it has made me fall off things or die from side fire too many times to count. Not sure why right bumper or left bumper dosen't aim diagonally ala Metroid. The lock button on left bumper is helpful, but having to move a smidgeon when aiming diagonally, hit the bumper asap, and then unlock feels unorthodox to perform.

Wish there was a button to lock the character in place.

Vysetron

Neo Member
Grabbing Blockerson because somehow no one else did. Thanks!

This game ignites all the happy centers of my brain. I grew up on Gunstar Heroes and Contra for Snes/Genesis and later got into Metal Slug so seeing someone do a unique take on those while filling it with homages is super awesome.

Is there a complete guide yet for getting all the characters? The ones I've seen have a few missing.

I hope they patch in lock shot with the triggers as well. Just tried it with the bumper and it's awkward.

Grisby

One world left. Feel like I'm missing out on a lot of characters though.

Game is a joy to play and the graphics are fantastic. Finished a couple of bosses with no time left, lol.

My main has been the red head girl. Her penetrating shot destroys fools.

Vert boil

Finally got my first Watcher earlier and just grabbed all of the Shards. Going to grab the remaining Glorbs tomorrow before starting Hardcore mode.

Quick character guide.

Starting characters,
Aimy Mckillin
Jean Rambois
Shieldy Blockerson

Story unlocks or in level characters,
CDR. Repeatski - Unlocks when you start Dr. ∞
Cleo - Complete 199X
Dolphin Lungren - 9600 BC level 2
Jef Leppard - 198X level 1
Lou Don Jim - 3072 level 1
Melanie Gibson - 199X level 2
Merlin - 673 level 1
Zackasaurus - 1000000 BC level 1

Collectable unlocks,
50% Glorbs - Squirty Harry
100% Glorbs - Da Vinci
50% Shards - Stash
100% Shards - Re-Bot
All of the Watchers - Looker

Lucent

Game is fun so far. Beat 2 worlds.

Fuck the jetpac level, lol.

The Jetpack level is very easy with Shieldy. I practically ran through that with just him. He can block practically everything and still kill people.

Grabbing Blockerson because somehow no one else did. Thanks!

Yeah I dunno, I love Shieldy. Very useful. I ran through the whole thread before grabbing my avatar. I prefer the pixel art form, so I grabbed the one I have now.

Lucent

i suck at this game... any tips? Never been so bad at something in my life :(

What are you having trouble with? Here's a few things to help.

Basically you start with like 30 lives. Whenever you die or press B, you'll spend a life and go into Time Out.

From Time Out, you can go anywhere from the very beginning of the level to the point where you died or pressed B. You select a character and start from the point in time you picked.

Your characters play out their actions from the point that they spawn from Time Out to the point that they die or you press B to set up another character.

So say you start the level, you make it 30 seconds in and you die or press B, every single thing you did with that character up til then will happen. If you killed a guy, blew up a wall, killed another guy, grabbed a glorb (gold diamond thing), and then die or press B, all of that will happen again when you pick another character (or even the same character).

The whole point is to set things up so that you can beat the level.

Also, whenever characters die, you can make note of where they die. If a character died like 25 seconds into the level and you rewind with another character to a time before that, you can save that character who died. You can kill whatever killed the guy and he/she will be saved. Instead of just die'n, that character will stand where he/she died and offer you a power up. Just grab it and you'll not only have an extra hit your character can endure, but the charge up attack of that character as well.

So if you're Shieldy and you save the girl with the sniper and the guy with the machine gun, you'll block, snipe, and rapid fire at the same time when you release a charge.

Last for the die'n part, there will be a red orb with a skull in it to signify where the character is going to die.

And any glorb/sparkly thing you grab, you don't need to grab it again when you rewind. The character that grabbed it will carry that out again and they'll be grayed out anyway.

Hope this helps.

Pavillion

What are you having trouble with? Here's a few things to help.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. It helped a bit. I understand the concept of the game I just can't seem to execute it very well. Gonna have to just keep practicing. Also like someone else said I wish there was a button to keep your character in place.

Wubbys

anyone know what a clean run consists of. Want to get the achievement for getting one while playing as squirty.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
anyone know what a clean run consists of. Want to get the achievement for getting one while playing as squirty.

That one just means play only as squirty for the entire level. You can still die and rewind, just don't bring anyone else in.

EvB

Thanks. It helped a bit. I understand the concept of the game I just can't seem to execute it very well. Gonna have to just keep practicing. Also like someone else said I wish there was a button to keep your character in place.

You don't need to be good, each time you die it essentially becomes easier and quicker as you have your previous attempts clearing the way for you. Just keep rewinding to the beginning.

It's taken me a while to get my head around that, I kept using time out to respawn just a few seconds back.

Yuterald

Finally got one of those Lookers captured. Probably the hardest thing in the game to pull off. Man, aside from a position-lock button for your character, this game could use some sort of scoring/ranking system, I feel. The STF Rank Medals are more of a "done all other" objectives sort of rank, which is not what I expected. It's cool, but a traditional points/scoring system would have been fun too.

C4Lukins

i suck at this game... any tips? Never been so bad at something in my life :(

The game is not as complicated as you may think. It certainly scrambled my head for the first hour.

When you die, rewind to the beginning of the level, and not just a few seconds before you died. Then choose a character that you think will help you get further. Then play that character like it was old school Ghosts N Goblins and get them as far as you can, and then rewind again and follow that character. Eventually you have an army of dudes all running along side each other murdering the scenery.

The game seems complicated but it really is not. Each rewind can go back as far as you want, and each playthrough has that ghost doing the same thing over and over again. So with each death you use your previous ghost as a wall, and try and get a bit further. This all negates the whole time aspect of it, because you are always following your best runs.

I love this game by the way.

Stoze

Wish there was a button to lock the character in place.

Yeah that would work as well.

Also, I quit the game after trying for a second Looker last night, and now there's no medals or even a time for that stage. My percentages for my glorbs and shards even went down as well, from 100% to 94%. I'm guessing that's a glitch?

This might be the 360's swan song for me, unless I hit my head really hard and decide to play Assassin's Creed IV.

Good timing too, as I have $10 of promotional space bucks expiring next Thursday.

Lucent

I don't know why but I can't find the last glorb I need in mission 3 of the year 673 (medieval). I always end up with 9 and can't find a 10th. =l

EDIT: And just when I say this, I finally find it. lol

nbraun80

Yeah I don't really have too much ambition to try and do all the lookers for one more character, especially since it's not tied to any achievements. Just gonna move on to super hardcore mode.

Also any idea when the patch is coming, got all the achievements except that one.

Stoze

So I managed to get ranked #1 on the on the 360 version. Looks like I'm the first to get all glorbs and shards on both the regular game and super hardcore mode, since the leaderboards are based off medals before game time. Kinda cool, though the ranking probably won't last a day.

Super Hardcore Mode is much easier than it sounds, in fact it's a bit disappointing because it's barely any more challenging than the first run through the game. That's mainly due to the fact you can still 'clone' characters, and rescuing them with another character saves them from permadeath.

I think I'm done with the game for now, may try to come back in a few days to try for more Looker medals if I have the patience. I have to say even after all the unlockable characters, Aimy is still god-tier and is pretty much my main character in traversing any level. For boss battles my go to are usually Jef, Jean, and
Da Vinci

nbraun80

So I managed to get ranked #1 on the on the 360 version. Looks like I'm the first to get all glorbs and shards on both the regular game and super hardcore mode, since the leaderboards are based off medals before game time. Kinda cool, though the ranking probably won't last a day.

Super Hardcore Mode is much easier than it sounds, in fact it's a bit disappointing because it's barely any more challenging than the first run through the game. That's mainly due to the fact you can still 'clone' characters, and rescuing them with another character saves them from permadeath.

I think I'm done with the game for now, may try to come back in a few days to try for more Looker medals if I have the patience. I have to say even after all the unlockable characters, Aimy is still god-tier and is pretty much my main character in traversing any level. For boss battles my go to are usually Jef, Jean, and
Da Vinci
That's awesome and congrats (for now) lol. :) makes me feel better that it won't be too tough staring super hardcore. I also like toe use Melanie quite a bit in boss battles.

Nemesis_

You could have also

used Zackasaurus to jump on the enemy nearby and bounce off him to the top of the car

What about the Fire Range achievement ? Issue fixed ?

Patch should be out in the wild monday/tuesday. Took longer than we expected to get through, but its almost there.

Interesting feedback. Do you think you would have enjoyed it more if you lost the character even when you TIME OUT? We have our opinions but we're so close to the game that getting vibes from others who've put that much time (no pun intended) into the game is cool for us.

Nemesis_

I'm trying to think about how Super Hardcore could be...well...more Hardcore.

I'm thinking maybe be a little bit stricter on how you work with your heroes. Maybe you can pick them up after they die, but don't let them be re-added to your team until you finish the level.

Of course you could always ramp up the "bullet hell" so that it works both ways - I never really felt too overwhelmed by the enemies throughout the entire campaign. Adding more enemies would make a much greater challenge, which, coupled with perma death, would make the game a lot more "hardcore".

I would say to also reduce the amount of time the player has and halve the pickups to 5 seconds instead of 10, but that's much too cruel :p

Interesting feedback. Do you think you would have enjoyed it more if you lost the character even when you TIME OUT? We have our opinions but we're so close to the game that getting vibes from others who've put that much time (no pun intended) into the game is cool for us.

Out of curiosity, would you consider updates (based on feedback on the difficulty) and possibly DLC of a new world(s) or something with new character(s) or is that not something you really want to do outside of fixing bugs with achievements etc?

Stoze

That's what I expected to be the case upon going into super hardcore mode; timing out or dying means gone for good, and maybe glorbs would restore a character selection instead of adding timeouts. I think it would've made the mode more challenging and could have given the second run through the game a more unique approach. I don't know if enjoyable would be the right word, haha. More satisfying though, perhaps. Thanks for looking at my feedback.

I'm also going back and slowly making my way with more looker medals. 3072 was a fairly easy world to get them on, McKillin tears shit up on those levels. I tried getting one on the "final world" though and it was pretty damn tough;
The second level in Dr. Infinity. You really gotta be careful with optimizing the route; you need at least 3-4 timeouts for the very last section, and using characters to shoot doors takes up more timeouts. Managed to screw it up on my very last timeout that I needed to go up the middle ladder with.

JimiNutz

Banned
Just how hard is this game?
I didn't grow up on SNES games so Im not as good at these types of games as most people.
I really like the look of it and don't mind some challenge but is this game frustratingly difficult? Does it have an 'easy' mode?

I really want to buy this and support the devs but don't want it to be so hard that I hit a wall 30% of my way in and can't complete it...

Lunzio

I didn't grow up on SNES games so Im not as good at these types of games as most people.
I really like the look of it and don't mind some challenge but is this game frustratingly difficult? Does it have an 'easy' mode?

I really want to buy this and support the devs but don't want it to be so hard that I hit a wall 30% of my way in and can't complete it...

It's really not a hard game and you can generally brute force your way through if you need

JLck

Anyone had any issues with achievements on this?

Hasn't given me the achievement for completing 9600 BC (Atlantis) :(

Dabanton

First stage will fuck with you. But once you realise what being able to rewind the game allows you to do it will click.

Then it's all about finesse it rewards playthroughs.

Playing on 360 and the game won't let me do anything once I beat Cleo's kidnapper. I've tried restarting the level twice. Not really sure what to do other than wait for an update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhdZBs7td_s

Thanks for the vid, it'll help us look into and hopefully resolve the issue. We've only heard of a few people getting it, so it's rare as hell, but we'll do our best to sort it.

How many of you have unlocked the 100% Glorb & 100% Shard characters? Wondering if you've figured out any of the tricks with
Da Vinci
or
Re-bot
?

Grisby

YOU DEFEATED.

That last boss was something else. Took me a retry or two to get him down and of course the timer was at 0.

Going back through and getting the rest of the yellow orbs I need.

Game was tough in the beginning but it didn't take me too long to get the mechanics sorted out. There's a part of me that wanted the game to be a bit tougher but then there's a larger part that says the difficulty was just right. Of course, I still have the new mode to try out too.

That ending cutscene was hilarious. I only wish that more members of the STF crew got their own little ditty or something.

Hell of a fun time and a refreshing take on the 2d Metal Slug formula. Graphics were great and the replay function allowed me to take in all the little details (Hankering).

I miss a button for easy diagonal aiming. I mean yeah, you can 'lock' where your character is pointing at to some extent, but that's rather unintuitive at times when the situation gets a little heated.

Also, Cromulent_Word: I fought the final boss as far as I know (the
multi-tiered Dr. Infinity
fight) and is it normal that I could not get past the
error message
ending? I had to go back to Dashboard in order to reset it, but when I opened up the map screen again the game acknowledged that I beat said level. No achievement either, though I'm not sure if I missed something for it to trigger. Said ending popped up during the recap replay (since I didn't skip it) you get after completing any level, but I have the fight recorded somewhere if it'll help to figure out what exactly went wrong.

Top Bottom