• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Survivor 32: Kaôh Rng |OT| Anything that can Kaôh Rng, will.

UberTag

Scot/Jason wanted her out, the Brains wanted Aubry to stay.

lol @ the "Jeff loves the season - Male Winner!" comments...which are probably true. :(
Has there been a season that Jeff was super-stoked for in advance that DIDN'T have a male winner? I mean, he's pretty predictable.

So glad Michelle won. Proves the winners edit thing is bullshit.

Again though most people were saying Michelle had a winners edit from ridiculously early in the season. Just depends on what you mean by winners edit. Was there a winners narrative? No but there was certainly a winners edit.

Grexeno

I don't know what you mean? Russell Hantz is loved by the crew for the spectacle he will get a majority of the edit no matter what he does on a season.
Even such a massively popular, seemingly dominating player as Samoa Russell got a logical edit showing why he lost, and Natalie White received a logical edit showing why she won.

Aubry got no logical edit showing why she lost, and Michele got no logical edit showing why she won.

Has there been a season that Jeff was super-stoked for in advance that DIDN'T have a male winner? I mean, he's pretty predictable.

He hyped Philippines in advance. I remember that being a big deal because people were saying "wow, Jeff was right for once, this is a really good season".

Although he still wound up saying on his RHAP appearance during the season that "next season (Caramoan) is even better", and saying that he was surprised that people liked Denise.

Even such a massively popular, seemingly dominating player as Samoa Russell got a logical edit showing why he lost, and Natalie White received a logical edit showing why she won.

Aubry got no logical edit showing why she lost, and Michele got no logical edit showing why she won.

But that's kind of what I mean though, as much as they love Russell they also love the reason for him losing. As far as we can speculate they don't seem to like Michelle winning and didn't really care to show why she won.

That's everything wrong with this season in a nutshell. Going into the finale, I would've ranked it as one of the better seasons. Now there's an argument for it being one of the worst. This is, like, WWE-level lazy storytelling, where things happen for no reason and you're left wondering why you even watch.

Grexeno

But that's kind of what I mean though, as much as they love Russell they also love the reason for him losing. As far as we can speculate they don't seem to like Michelle winning and didn't really care to show why she won.
Uh, I definitely think Survivor would have preferred Russell winning Samoa.

wachie

Its the worst season ever because I didnt get why some jury members voted a certain way.

The hyperbole is just too much.

That's everything wrong with this season in a nutshell. Going into the finale, I would've ranked it as one of the better seasons. Now there's an argument for it being one of the worst. This is, like, WWE-level lazy storytelling, where things happen for no reason and you're left wondering why you even watch.

I still enjoyed the season on a whole (great cast, great individual episodes, etc), but the overarching story is just so bizarre.

It's definitely not one of the worst seasons, but I think the bizarre conclusion does drop it down a peg or two.

I don't know. I think they loved him because he was a great villain, but I don't know if they would have wanted that at the time. They edited him to make people dislike him (I mean, it's less than half an hour before he's burning socks and lying about being a firefighter in Hurricane Katrina) and be the new Fairplay, but then the general audience wound up loving him instead.

Maybe me being more of a BB fan is why I still love this season. I could care less about the stories or the winner (most the time), it was fun as hell to watch.

Grexeno

I'm betting this is a season where Jeff just blasted the contestants while the cameras were off. Maybe even multiple times.

kirblar

Its the worst season ever because I didnt get why some jury members voted a certain way.

The hyperbole is just too much.
It's the first season where I've ever felt physically ill reacting to an ending. (This is by the edit's design, btw.)

This is like Kelly beating Rich in S1. How different would the show have been?

They may have but what I mean is that they absolutely love to get up at the finale and talk non stop about jury management and excuse bitter juries. Russell was basically the defacto jury killer and he's the poster child for their reasoning. Theyre fine letting him be the face of the season and still being able to tought their perfect system.

Michelle winning was pretty obvious to me from weeks back, and I warned you all lol. She was shown quietly maneuvering her way out of danger, constantly got irrelevant confessionals despite not being much involved in what was going on....I think that fierce tribal council where she successfully fought off Tai's attempt to target her probably impressed the hell out of the jury, as did her strong finish. Aubry would have been a better winner for this season, but I have no problem with a low key social player with 4 individual challenge wins who keeps her cool and wiggles out of danger and ends up the winner.

UberTag

Undertaker won at Wrestlemania but Shane is still running RAW. What's up with that?
I suppose we shouldn't care to ask.

kirblar

They may have but what I mean is that they absolutely love to get up at the finale and talk non stop about jury management and excuse bitter juries. Russell was basically the defacto jury killer and he's the poster child for their reasoning. Theyre fine letting him be the face of the season and still being able to tought their perfect system.
Like, Russell was a monstrous asshole out there. There's a basic level of social management that he never had over either S29 or S30 that led to his result happening twice in a row.

Grexeno

It's the first season where I've ever felt physically ill reacting to an ending. (This is by the edit's design, btw.)

This is like Kelly beating Rich in S1. How different would the show have been?
That's a poor comparison. At the time, people would have loved Kelly beating Rich. In hindsight the show wouldn't have lasted as long as it did if that happened, but at the time Rich was the vile, despicable cheater who had ruined the show.

This is more like, once again, if Jenna beat Rob in a Final 2 in The Amazon.

kirblar

That's a poor comparison. At the time, people would have loved Kelly beating Rich. In hindsight the show wouldn't have lasted as long as it did if that happened, but at the time Rich was the vile, despicable cheater who had ruined the show.

This is more like, once again, if Jenna beat Rob in a Final 2 in The Amazon.
Oh, I meant more "god how fucked would the show have been if that had happened?"

Like, Russell was a monstrous asshole out there. There's a basic level of social management that he never had over either S29 or S30 that led to his result happening twice in a row.

Yeah that's what I'm saying? I'm not saying he should have won, I'm saying there is a difference in how those seasons get edited because they love to point to their perfect system. This season may show some flaws in it and maybe they would rather have you just hate the winner and skip over the reasoning for her winning.

BTM

I think the FTC performance by Michelle really had an impact on some of the jurors. Out of all 3, Michelle showed more passion, authenticity, and confidence in the way she played the game. Combine that with not pissing off any of the jury members and having played a strong social game and you have yourselves a winner.

Michelle winning was pretty obvious to me from weeks back, and I warned you all lol. She was shown quietly maneuvering her way out of danger, constantly got irrelevant confessionals despite not being much involved in what was going on....I think that fierce tribal council where she successfully fought off Tai's attempt to target her probably impressed the hell out of the jury, as did her strong finish. Aubry would have been a better winner for this season, but I have no problem with a low key social player with 4 individual challenge wins who keeps her cool and wiggles out of danger and ends up the winner.

Yep

Maybe me being more of a BB fan is why I still love this season. I could care less about the stories or the winner (most the time), it was fun as hell to watch.

For me, having a winner who makes sense is probably the most important thing. I'll defend One World because of Kim playing so perfectly, and I kept watching Worlds Apart just because I wanted to see Mike win out over the most obnoxious group of contestants ever, but this...I don't know. I don't know that I'd go as far as kirblar and say that I feel physically ill or anything, but I can say that it's the first time where I've ever watched a finale and not been excited for the next season to start.

kirblar

I mean if you want to see what Survivor looks like if Kelly beats Rich, apparently the French version, Koh-Lanta, is literally that.
Foreign versions have had winner fuckery all over the place w/ people being punished for playing.

Full quote from Jasonin Ep7-
Beauty always goes with the jock, always. It’s just the way of the world. The Beauties don’t date the brainiacs. They’re at the dance with us and we’re just shoving-- shoving geeks in lockers right now. Sorry, Brain. We want to go after Neal, but we believe he’s holding the idol, so we take out someone that they never see coming, Aubry.

That + his exit quote - brings to mind the "....life is unfair....." coda from MITM.

edit: BBB is so done as a theme after this.

^I could care less for the theme as long as we get more 3 tribe seasons. I honestly think it's the best format for the game.

For me, having a winner who makes sense is probably the most important thing. I'll defend One World because of Kim playing so perfectly, and I kept watching Worlds Apart just because I wanted to see Mike win out over the most obnoxious group of contestants ever, but this...I don't know. I don't know that I'd go as far as kirblar and say that I feel physically ill or anything, but I can say that it's the first time where I've ever watched a finale and not been excited for the next season to start.

Before the last few seasons I used to not even watch the finales because it seemed so obvious who the winners were and I rarely cared. It's why I'm so horrible at remembering past seasons and winners outside of standouts because I don't have a staple of the winner and end of a story to make them stand out. I just care about the gameplay that happens up to a point.

Grexeno

I think the FTC performance by Michelle really had an impact on some of the jurors. Out of all 3, Michelle showed more passion, authenticity, and confidence in the way she played the game.
I mean, literally the only people who would actually believe this are people who thought Michele had the winner's edit.

Full quote from Jasonin Ep7-That + his exit quote - brings to mind the "....life is unfair....." coda from MITM.
I mean, it literally looks like this is the reason Michele won.

wachie

I think the FTC performance by Michelle really had an impact on some of the jurors. Out of all 3, Michelle showed more passion, authenticity, and confidence in the way she played the game. Combine that with not pissing off any of the jury members and having played a strong social game and you have yourselves a winner.
Bu bu bu the editing! Why didnt they show something twice so that I would "get it".

Foreign versions have had winner fuckery all over the place w/ people being punished for playing.

Full quote from Jasonin Ep7-

That + his exit quote - brings to mind the "....life is unfair....." coda from MITM.

edit: BBB is so done as a theme after this.

Honestly this ep should have the been the big moment that showed Aubry as a potential loser. They went so hard on showing you Aubry got saved by medic and was even angry she didn't get his idol. Thats just a weird thing to do for someone who is going to win. You just leave oit that confessional and a couple scenes and it seems way more up and the air and we never know Aubry was even at risk.

Grexeno

Literally the entire extent of Michele's "winner edit" was "boy this seemingly completely unimportant person keeps getting confessionals about random shit"

Literally the entire extent of Michele's "winner edit" was "boy this seemingly completely unimportant person keeps getting confessionals about random shit"

Basically. A player like her would never get any of the screen time she got unless she was the winner.

People usually mistake winner narrative for winners edit. Story usually does go the same way but the choice in scenes, choice in captions is usually pretty telling without having anything to do with the narrative.

Jims

This. This so much.

This has been a great season, but the final outcome is so baffling and weird, I really don't understand what the editors are doing any more. Anyone who has been looking at Survivor edits for a long time knows how to pick out one of those dumb under-the-radar female winner edits. Like, all the edgic people saw it immediately. We saw Sophie Clarke, we know how this works now. It's not that clever, it's just weird story-telling.

Clearly, Michele played the better game because she won the jury members over. There's gotta be tape there to explain her game. Why didn't we get it? We're left saying, well, I guess Jason and Scot respected her game enough to give her their votes... Without really explaining what specifically it was for them as people. Last time we saw them, they just thought Michele was a number. Clearly something changed. Why don't they clue us in? There should be something I can think back to and say, ah. That's why Jason voted for Michele to win the game. It's that moment.

Maybe I was just too in the tank for Aubry this season, but it's just weird seeing them pump her up as this dominant force just to let her lose decisively in the finals. At least with past fan faves like Kathy or Rob C., they got whacked at Final 3 and it makes sense (even if it's sad). This feels like Survivor jerking us around a little.

BowieZ

Banned
Maybe I was just too in the tank for Aubry this season, but it's just weird seeing them pump her up as this dominant force just to let her lose decisively in the finals. At least with past fan faves like Kathy or Rob C., they got whacked at Final 3 and it makes sense (even if it's sad). This feels like Survivor jerking us around a little.
Pretty much.

The editors were supposed to build up Michele more, and tear Aubry down more.

They DID THE OPPOSITE. I don't understand.

BTM

The editors propped up Aubry way too much. Unless they did it on purpose to make the audience angry that a "boring" social player won instead of a strategist. Trying to persuade new contestants to play a certain way over another.

It honestly feels like there was some sort of miscommunication behind the scenes and all the editors thought Aubry was the winner and Michelle was runner up and then after they finished the entire season they found out it was the opposite but it was too late to fix it. Obviously that's ridiculous, but something was going on here to make the editors severely overemphasize Aubry's game and not do much of anything with Michelle's game.

kirblar

The editors propped up Aubry way too much. Unless they did it on purpose to make the audience angry that a "boring" social player won instead of a strategist. Trying to persuade new contestants to play a certain way over another.
They did do it on purpose to elicit exactly that reaction.

Unison

So:

Nick: demeans Michele all game, tells her at FTC that she's dumb. Votes for Michele.
Jason: has no relationship with Michele and gets backstabbed by her. Shows respect for Aubry's competitiveness. Votes Michele.
Scot: gets backstabbed by Michele and gives her no real credit. Praises Aubry. Votes Michele.

The votes are not earned by the edit. We needed to see why those three voted for Michele to understand this result.

Julia and Cydney's votes can be understood. The dude bro trio's can't be. Why did they vote for Michele?

That's what the edit failed in telling us. If Aubry was to lose, why didn't we see what caused it?

Agree on all counts, although I think it's really just Michele's bartender skills coming through... she was able to make everyone feel like she listened to them, I guess?

The Aubry edit was clearly baffling.

Michele's not an awful winner, and I can respect the way that she played the game, but she's definitely one of the more inexplicable ones....

The irony is during this finale I was remarking to a friend how this is one of the best first seasons for Survivor noobs to watch because there's so much strategy talk (even with that Jury twist, where there's more talk about who will get jury votes than usual) and because it's all new players.... Then this inexplicable ending happens! I could see it turning people off of the show, not because Michele is unlikeable... just because the show didn't do a good job of explaining why she won.

BowieZ

Banned
It honestly feels like there was some sort of miscommunication behind the scenes and all the editors thought Aubry was the winner and Michelle was runner up and then after they finished the entire season they found out it was the opposite but it was too late to fix it. Obviously that's ridiculous, but something was going on here to make the editors severely overemphasize Aubry's game and not do much of anything with Michelle's game.
It makes no sense because Aubry got her strongest episode yet during the finale. And Michele practically had her weakest (well, comparative to only having 3 people there for 80% of it).

This is what frustrates me. I predicted Michele would win after episode 1, but after some relatively lacklustre episodes near the end, she was on a projection to get a classic underdog finale with an extremely emotional family visit or whatnot. But the opposite happened. The edit CONTINUED to make Aubry seem like the deserving winner, and Michele's win as an unlikely and dissatisfying shock. Bizarre.

Well I sure didn't see Michelle winning going into the finale

Please tell me they sent Mark to a farm or somewhere safe and not alone into the jungle =/

Well this Sia part seems very random, I'm so confused

Yay to giving money to a charity for animals but it's so strange lol

Now Drew Carey? Price is Right ratings down?

Well this Sia part seems very random, I'm so confused

Yay to giving money to a charity for animals but it's so strange lol

Now Drew Carey? Price is Right ratings down?

I think it surprised everyone. I really don't follow Sia but does she hide her face like that all the time? Just curious

kirblar

I think it surprised everyone. I really don't follow Sia but does she hide her face like that all the time? Just curious
Recently yeah. She's very self conscious about her appearance

Wonder if she'll do promo work for the Australian version they're relaunching.

Huh.

I don't hate the ending, and in some ways I like that they threw a bit of a curve ball. I just don't think they gave Michele a very good edit for a winner. There's a reason why many are surprised at the outcome, they pretty much buried Michele until the final episode (and even in the final episode they took swipes at her).

Jeff's lack of enthusiasm makes sense now. They like winners who have flashy and fun games, and Michele didn't deliver. They punished her for it. Which is too bad, because I think they probably really downplayed her social game, and played up Aubry's strengths.

Still, I did enjoy this season. I look forward to seeing Cydnee return. <3

LOL at next season's theme.

Top Bottom