• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

swear during skype call on Xbox One: go right ahead. You won't be banned for that.

Neff

3t0y.jpg

Demolition Man was right...

Fuck, beat me to it.

It's quite telling that error messages on the Xbox are so focused on promoting Gold that it results in a glitch like this. Embarrassing for Microsoft imo.

The Cowboy

Don't believe this at all, I swear during calls all the time on Skype on PC and nothing has ever happened, unless they're listening to calls on Xbox One (yeah right) then this just can't be true.

Until hard facts are shown, I'm striking this one down to trolling (not you TC, the person claiming this) or being banned from something else.

B.O.O.M

Man this is why I love the fact my native language is one spoken only by very few people..I can swear away all I want..especially in a different country

I mean me mona mala huththtakda? lol

But no seriously this is a joke right? cz this is beyond dumb

BibiMaghoo

The first page of this thread is golden. Thanks for the laugh.

On a serious note though, does this mean Skype monitors and processes every work you say through the thing? I find that more of an issue than the swearing to be honest, as this things sits in peoples living rooms.

Odrion

Banned
As dull and muted as the PS4 launch was, the Xbone launch as introduced some nightmarish ideas for our future. $60 Paymium games and censorship in your private conversations? Jesus christ.

Barzul

Entrecôte;91259911 said:
They got banned from Gold for profanity (probably during multiplayer match) and can't use Skype as a result (it requires gold). Same consequences as on 360, nothing new.

Twitter user is taking the image and making a nice story to accompany it.

This seems more plausible, or else I expect we'd have a lot more complaints than this solitary one.

fallagin

If this is legit, doesn't it all but confirm MS are listening to private chats via Skype? Someone needs to investigate further as this doesn't seem to make a lick of sense...

Well, we already know that pretty much. This mostly just means that kinect is picking up "bad words" and censoring you.

Sporran

read the last post to this thread seems the plausible answer

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_one_support/f/4274/t/1628408.aspx

Skype itself doesn't have any profanity filtering/detection/etc. However, it does perform a Skype Gold check for a set of privileges (including voice and video communication). If you perform an action elsewhere on the Xbox Live system (e.g. using other apps or games, including on an Xbox 360) that results in a ban (temporary or otherwise) from those required privileges, then you will not be able to access Skype until that ban has been lifted.

maybe he uploaded a dodgy vid?

Wonder what triggered this. My friend used Skype on his Xbox to talk to me over the weekend and he's been cursing as much as he always does without an issue.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I assume this can be done without them listening to the conversation. If the voice detection locally can detect a word then a message can be sent attempting to flag the material as inappropriate

However, I am still skeptical. This is just too crazy not to be a bug Xbox Live Gold is required

FargoDog

Banned
Don't believe this at all, I swear during calls all the time on Skype on PC and nothing has ever happened, unless they're listening to calls on Xbox One (yeah right) then this just can't be true.

Until hard facts are shown, I'm striking this one down to trolling (not you TC, the person claiming this).

Skype on PC doesn't have voice recognition in the same fashion as the Kinect. Or voice recognition at all, really. It'd be incredibly easy for the Kinect to pick up the word 'fuck' and freak out.

watership

This is more likely someone being banned for another reason, and assuming it's because he called his mate a "cocknocker" on skype.

Omega

Banned

Until hard facts are shown, I'm striking this one down to trolling (not you TC, the person claiming this) or being banned from something else.

What would they ban you from on PC? Make it so you can't use skype and they get less ad money?

When there's alternatives like raidcall, teamspeak, mumble, etc. I'm pretty sure MS isn't going to ban you on PC.

Foghorn Leghorn

Unconfirmed Member
The first page of this thread is golden. Thanks for the laugh.

On a serious note though, does this mean Skype monitors and processes every work you say through the thing? I find that more of an issue than the swearing to be honest, as this things sits in peoples living rooms.

Probably. The potential for abuse seems kind of high.

oVerde

Banned
You can't Xbox Live Gold is required?

You can't Xbox Live Gold is required.

Because of your past behavior.

I can't Xbox Live Gold is required.

Skype gold can't Xbox Live.

I accidentally the Xbox Live Gold required fucking

Screw that I can Xbox Live Gold is required all I want.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look?

every day i'm xboxlive gold is required'ing

i see why they limited countries. They can't can't even English

after so many lolz, the right answer appears

Entrecôte;91259911 said:
They got banned from Gold for profanity (probably during multiplayer match) and can't use Skype as a result (it requires gold). Same consequences as on 360, nothing new.

Twitter user is taking the image and making a nice story to accompany it.

ultron87

This really feels like one of those times where someone claims they were banned for something innocuous and then an official record shows they did something horrible elsewhere and chose not to mention it.

Top Bottom