• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

swear during skype call on Xbox One: go right ahead. You won't be banned for that.

ultron87

Are you saying people are lying on the internet about Xbox One to make MS look bad?

More that people who get banned have reasons to try and invent sob stories to try and get themselves unbanned. And making a claim about a privacy violation like this has a decent chance of getting traction with the current climate and Microsoft's history with such things.

More that people who get banned have reasons to try and invent sob stories to try and get themselves unbanned. And making a claim about a privacy violation like this has a decent chance of getting traction with the current climate and Microsoft's history with such things.

This, yup.

Yep. Even though there is no warning that they are listening to your conversations.

They aren't.

Iacobellis

What the fuck? You can't say fucking words like "fuck" over fucking Skype on a fucking system you paid 500 fucking dollars for? Have the fucking people at Microsoft lost their fucking minds?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Someone in the PR team to comment before the FUD keeps spreading on this.

*Sends up the Albert signal*

hawk2025

Wait, but how is it ok that being banned from multiplayer gaming affects the use of damn Skype of all things?

Does that mean that you can't use any apps if you are banned for something as mild as uploading a video with cursing?

That's ridiculous.

gKcRgbi.gif

FuturusX

Kinect: "I saw a young lady over at your house today, but she didn't match the profile of your wife. I think you should consider renewing your subscription and purchasing more downloadable content. I think you'll agree that this is a mutually beneficial arrangement."

Yep...that's the winning post. No doubt.

joe2187

Banned
I think If I ever get an Xbone, I would be banned before I even turned it on. Every single person in my house uses more profanity in a single sentence than regular words.

"Fucking turn the Xbox on!"

helium121

Banned
This is the underlying problem with how Microsoft puts all of their services behind a paywall. Even if you are an idiot and get banned from playing multiplayer, you still shouldn't lose access to other single player services that you paid for.

ultron87

Like this?
j4w0Xni.png

:)

Pretty much, yeah.

Though the most surprising part of that picture is that they actually punished people for doing stuff on camera in Uno, given the lawless drug filled wasteland that that game's online was.

Though in this case it sounds like it was just for swearing in an uploaded video, which seems a little harsh to lead to a 24 hour ban, but whatever.

daveo42

Banned
I've heard you enjoy using four letter words. Swearing's not allowed on Xbox Live Gold accounts. Upgrade to Xbox Live Platinum for all of your language needs. Includes premium grammar pack, an added value. Yours free!

Raxious

Don't know if I can link from Reddit, but here's the story of the guy:

Just letting everyone know since I can't find any information about it online. I made a video and said a bad word (not really a swear in my opinion, but I do understand their displeasure - the nickname of the name Richard) and now I am not able to put Kinect videos on my uploads or upload gameplay at all. I have no idea how long this will last.
I do understand I shouldn't have said it and know where xbox is coming from, but I wish there was a disclaimer about it since I had no idea I would be banned for that. Like I said, ignorance isn't an excuse, but I'm just warning you guys in case you didn't know like me.

Note: I can still do everything else on the console, just not upload.

UPDATE: Okay I got a hold of a Microsoft representative. They've told me that my standing is "good" and don't see an issue with my account - I'm in "good standing." However, he said that there may be some issues with Skype and Upload Studio, which matches what others have been saying. There are apparently steps being made to reverse the bans. If I find anymore info, I'll post it, and if anyone finds anything else, just PM me and I'll put it up here.

UPDATE #2: I hopped on Upload Studio about twenty minutes ago and tried it out. It is now working for me, and I was successfully able to upload my Kinect footage and DVR footage to both Xbox and SkyDrive. It appears as though the Upload Studio suspension is a 24 hour suspension, as I believe it was for me. However, Skype still does not respond after five hours since the "incident." This is my experience with Skype: "Was typing to my buddy on Skype, typed a few words of profanity talking about movies, and when I jumped back to Xbox One, it said I was banned from it for the same reason, citing "past behaviour"."

The Cowboy

This is the underlying problem with how Microsoft puts all of their services behind a paywall. Even if you are an idiot and get banned from playing multiplayer, you still shouldn't lose access to other single player services that you paid for.

This is it really, its also one of the main reasons I got rid of my old 360 and don't think i'll get an Xbox One (despite actually liking the look of it).

Nearly every aspect of the system bar SP gaming is behind a paywall, and if you mess up on just one part of it you get banned from all of it.

Someone in the PR team to comment before the FUD keeps spreading on this.

*Sends up the Albert signal*

There is no FUD spreading outside of most people skipping the posts in the thread.

See what happened here:
Skype itself doesn't have any profanity filtering/detection/etc. However, it does perform a Skype Gold check for a set of privileges (including voice and video communication). If you perform an action elsewhere on the Xbox Live system (e.g. using other apps or games, including on an Xbox 360) that results in a ban (temporary or otherwise) from those required privileges, then you will not be able to access Skype until that ban has been lifted.

What the fuck? You can't say fucking words like "fuck" over fucking Skype on a fucking system you paid 500 fucking dollars for? Have the fucking people at Microsoft lost their fucking minds?

You can. I've done it.. guess I'm going to be banned? You really think they have time to listen to 1 billion conversations and ban you?

clearly this guy has done something else wrong and is using this as an excuse to be a media attention whore..

but that won't stop people from overreacting, I suppose

Zephyrus

Banned
Entrecôte;91259911 said:
They got banned from Gold for profanity (probably during multiplayer match) and can't use Skype as a result (it requires gold). Same consequences as on 360, nothing new.

Twitter user is taking the image and making a nice story to accompany it.

oh oh there's the first junior defending this. There's always one.

kyser73

So if I've got gold and get banned, I can't watch Netflix, a service I'm also paying for?

What level of nannying bullshit is this? And people put up with this shit?

I wonder if you could get suspended whil leaving a chat open and watching the thick of it in the bckground?

I'd love to see what MS' censors would make of Tucker's Law

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
There is no FUD spreading outside of most people skipping the posts in the thread.

See what happened here:
Read the posts in this thread. A lot of people believe that MS is monitoring skype conversations.

Not sure why you are getting defensive with me. I'm being pretty neutral here.

Hoodbury

Relax, it's just a cyberkinectic organism that is still in it's infancy. Learning grammer comes later in the lifecycle. Just be happy it's learning words already. Be careful what you say to it though, at this stage in it's life it's like a sponge.

watership

It's a problem, and they should start to set up a gaming ban separate from a full live ban. This is how it works on Amazon too. You post abusive stuff on amazon, you can get banned for life. And good luck if you have 1000 kindle books on your amazon account, because they are all toast.

watership

I basically dont cuss at all, yet i still say dammit every now and then. Do you get banned for that?

*headdesk* You don't get banned for private skype conversations. Please tell me you guys don't believe this story?

You can get banned for abusive talk in a public game chat however. That's all based on complaints, Just like on the 360.

Read the posts in this thread. A lot of people believe that MS is monitoring skype conversations.

Not sure why you are getting defensive with me. I'm being pretty neutral here.

Think about it. There are hundreds of thousands of Skype calls in progress at any given time. How on earth could there be people listening to every word of every one of those? It doesn't make logistical sense, let alone it would be a gross invasion of privacy.

Top Bottom