• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telltale Games reveals Poker Night

TehOh said:
PAX attendees can stop by Telltale's booth for this awesome poster.

pokerposter.jpg

HOLY FUCK CHUCK BB DELIVERS.

TehOh

Jake said:
The posters free if you or a friend preorder the game from Telltale's booth. Also the game is only $5.

Any chance of selling them or a giveaway for those of us that can't make it to PAX?

C4Lukins

Jive Turkey said:
So are we talking real poker or that Texas Hold 'em bullshit that everybody seems to have gone retarded over in the past five years?

Real poker is dull (5 card draw). There is a reason Hold' em has taken off.

Jake said:
It's single player. The games about playing poker/hanging out with all of those characters with their personalities intact. There's more dialog in this game than in a Sam & Max episode, both for poker playing and for the ambient conversations that spring up and roll around the table as the game goes on.
Sold. Twice.

Is Tycho 3D in this?

Mr_Elysia

Cooter said:
You are a real rounder. :lol

Get a clue dude.

Poker is a game to play if you're autistic or if you want to pretend your skill, outside of acting and reading people's ability to act, has anything to do with the outcome of the hand. Close to a hundred percent of people who play any form of poker are not the people that calculate the odds on cards and draws while adapting and playing it to suit. Not beyond the very rudimentary basics of it anyways.

Gravijah

Mr_Elysia said:
Poker is a game to play if you're autistic or if you want to pretend your skill, outside of acting and reading people's ability to act, has anything to do with the outcome of the hand. Close to a hundred percent of people who play any form of poker are not the people that calculate the odds on cards and draws while adapting and playing it to suit. Not beyond the very rudimentary basics of it anyways.

What does autism have to do with poker?

Mr_Elysia

Gravijah said:
What does autism have to do with poker?

My apologies. I meant it in a mathematically idiot savant fashion. I was unclear. I was also unclear on the fact that I have no problem with people playing poker and having fun with it. I just take issue at someone calling another out because of their lack of skill in comparison.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Mr_Elysia said:
My apologies. I meant it in a mathematically idiot savant fashion. I was unclear. I was also unclear on the fact that I have no problem with people playing poker and having fun with it. I just take issue at someone calling another out because of their lack of skill in comparison.
I have loads of fun playing poker. I like strategy and skill based games hence my distaste for a game that requires almost no skill like Texas Hold 'Em.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Jive Turkey said:
Ironic being that Texas Hold 'Em requires the least amount of skill out of any other poker game...Hence the popularity. Poker Dice requires more skill.
Have you played Hold 'Em at a high-level consistently? Sure there are other games that require more skill, but to imply you don't need any is asinine, which is how you come across. :p

That said, I prefer PL Ohama High-Lo or Razz games.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
XiaNaphryz said:
Have you played Hold 'Em at a high-level consistently? Sure there are other games that require more skill, but to imply you don't need any is asinine, which is how you come across. :p

That said, I prefer PL Ohama High-Lo or Razz games.
Not in any tournaments or anything...And I'm not implying that it requires no skill just far less than any other poker game.

C4Lukins

Jive Turkey said:
Ironic being that Texas Hold 'Em requires the least amount of skill out of any other poker game...Hence the popularity. Poker Dice requires more skill.

This is just completely wrong. First off the general rules of Hold' em are more complicated then both stud and 5 card draw. Beyond that it has more turns at betting, and you are given more information to work with then simply your own cards and how your opponents are betting to work with. With stud maybe you could make an argument, but 5 card draw is complete shit compared to Texas Hold'em.

XiaNaphryz

Jive Turkey said:
Not in any tournaments or anything...And I'm not implying that it requires no skill just far less than any other poker game.
I like strategy and skill based games hence my distaste for a game that requires almost no skill like Texas Hold 'Em.
You were saying? ;P

Jenga

Banned
so out of curiosity why exactly is tycho even in there

does he even have a personality outside of being the creators mouthpiece

androvsky

Jake said:
It's single player. The games about playing poker/hanging out with all of those characters with their personalities intact. There's more dialog in this game than in a Sam & Max episode, both for poker playing and for the ambient conversations that spring up and roll around the table as the game goes on.

I'm late to bolding this, but yes, sold. Consider it a vote for an adventure game with these characters, please. :)

Mr_Elysia

The more input any particular player has, the more you weigh the outcome on a base of skill. The question is the correlation of draws per hand and bets per hand. Draws per hand will weigh it in favor of the mathematically minded. Bets per hand will give those with a better ability to sympathize and empathize the upper hand. Sources of data and how they are interpreted. That said, the more draws per hand, if calculated correctly would obviously give the skill based edge if you could keep up. So very few people will be able to that it almost isn't worth mentioning.

There's gonna be tf2 hats included to sweeten the deal, isn't there? I guess some strongbad apparel? FUCKING VALVE STEALING MY MONEY Q_Q

Mr_Elysia

Jenga said:

I would have preferred Gabe. But the reason is recognition. More people will know who Tycho is than will know Strong Bad or the, "hyperkinetic 'rabbity-thing' from Sam & Max".

Jintor

Jenga said:

Also, yes

I mean Jerry Holkins and Tycho Brahe are clearly different personalities, right

ArjanN

Jenga said:

He has as much personality as the other characters. He didn't have a voice in the Penny-Arcade games though, looks like he will here.

And I kind of assumed they'd be playing some sort of fantasy poker with special abilities and/or involving explosions.

pulga

Banned
How the hell are they gonna have Tycho banter with the rest of the characters? Will a speech bubble pop up? Answer me, Telltale!

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
pulga said:
How the hell are they gonna have Tycho banter with the rest of the characters? Will a speech bubble pop up? Answer me, Telltale!

Maybe you play as Tycho and the other three banter around you? I dunno.

Jenga

Banned
ArjanN said:
He has as much personality as the other characters. .
...does he? Like what? I've always seen it as the Jerry's hairier alter ego...who acts basically the same only put into silly videogame related situations

fuck, why not just put live action Jerry in-between them all

that'd be more amusing

ArjanN

Jenga said:
...does he? Like what? I've always seen it as the Jerry's hairier alter ego...who acts basically the same only put into silly videogame related situations

fuck, why not just put live action Jerry in-between them all

that'd be more amusing

Even if Tycho's character is based on Jerry's personality, it is still a personality.

Jenga

Banned
ArjanN said:
Even if Tycho's character is based on Jerry's personality, it is still a personality.
Ok.

I'm not arguing with that.

It's just that I have a difficult time imagining interaction between Tycho and the rest of cast who are clearly defined comic/game personalities.

Narag

Jenga said:
Ok.

It's just that I have a difficult time imagining interaction between Tycho and the rest of cast who are clearly defined comic/game personalities.

I'm assuming he'll be the straight man to balance the incoming looniness.

woxel1

Hey, I don't remember filling out this particular survey, but thanks Telltale for making a game that combines all my favorite things.

TheOGB

Banned
Even if it is just single player, I kind of want. Just seems like one of those fun little 5 dollar diversions.

I'll wait for the super-cheap holiday sale

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Jive Turkey said:

Oh, bullshit. Pre-flop raise on no limit texas and get back to me on what you'd do.

There is strategy in Texas Hold'em. Just as much as other variants.

Does this mean people shouldn't get off Texas Hold'em's nuts? No. I'd prefer to play other types (like 5 Card Draw), but "skill-less" seriously? It's the same fucking Poker game, just played different.

Ceebs

Is Jerry actually doing the voice for Tycho? Also Heavy + Max dialog should be the best thing ever.

Meh, Tycho has exhibited a pretty consistent personality throughout all the comics.

He's pretentious and uses a high vocabulary, while looking down on others who are "beneath him". He's self-righteous and passionate about his nerdy hobbies, to a disturbing degree. If you disagree with him, he will either respond with violence or completely demolish you verbally. He has a fetish for animals with long necks, and a crippling self-hatred installed by his parents who told him that puberty was evil festering inside him. He's a holier-than-thou kind of "Comic Book Guy" who's really just sad and insecure, with homicidal tendencies. He thinks he's the straight man, but it's just a thin veneer he uses to hide his insanity.

He's got just as much of a personality as the rest, if not a more in-depth one, in my opinion.

Will be interesting to hear his voice in this game. Odds are it won't be Jerry's.

ColonelT

This has been done before, and better:

(Pretend there's a picture of Jonathan Frakes, Morgan Fairchild, and Joe Piscopo here.)

Jintor

Jenga said:
Ok.

I don't really see that. The Tycho personality is pretty ridiculously comic-book

Colonel, fix your link

Jenga

Banned
Punchy4486 said:
Meh, Tycho has exhibited a pretty consistent personality throughout all the comics.

He's pretentious and uses a high vocabulary, while looking down on others who are "beneath him". He's self-righteous and passionate about his nerdy hobbies, to a disturbing degree. If you disagree with him, he will either respond with violence or completely demolish you verbally. .
is it bad that's how I kinda see Jerry whenever I read his comments :lol

anyways, yeah him being the straight man of the group makes sense

fuck they should have just went the extra mile and put the comic book guy from the simpsons in

XiaNaphryz

TheSeks said:
Oh, bullshit. Pre-flop raise on no limit texas and get back to me on what you'd do.
Not enough info.

Cash game or tournament? How many players at the table? What position are you in? How big is the pot and what are the pot odds? What position was the raise from? Was there a caller or raiser already in the hand before that raise? Do you have an idea on the general tendencies of the players that could be/are involved (i.e. loose-aggressive, tight-passive), as well as any specific tendencies you may have picked up in regards to plays made in specific positions with particular hands? How big are the stacks? If a tournament, how far in are you, what are the blinds/antes, how long until the blinds go up, how many players are left, and how big are the stacks in relation to the overall tournament average?

After all that, you can worry about the cards you're holding and start contemplating more odds. Depending on these and more factors, you can decide on a particular approach (fold, play by the book, play mainly to setup a particular move later on in during a different hand, play to attempt a steal regardless of hand, etc), and several of these approaches involve more decisions. And in some cases, you don't even need to know what cards you hold before making a decision on what approach to take.

Granted, all of the above pretty much applies to any poker game. But that's where most of the general skill in poker is, you just wrap it around the strategies and rules for the particular game you're in. What you're strong and weak at usually will dictate which types of poker games you're good and bad at moreso than the other way around.

Salsa

Jake said:

sold

L00P

Anyone know how Telltale got the PA guys to lend Tycho? It's kinda weird. Heavy being in this game doesn't sound too weird because the were some cross promotions between Valve and Telltale before, but Tycho? I wanna here the story on that:lol

L00P said:
Anyone know how Telltale got the PA guys to lend Tycho? It's kinda weird. Heavy being in this game doesn't sound too weird because the were some cross promotions between Valve and Telltale before, but Tycho? I wanna here the story on that:lol

The Penny-Arcade guys are not some gigantic, stingy corporation like Disney who only allows licensing their characters under strict rules and high licensing fees. They're like ~6 people. I would not be surprised if the conversation went something like:

Telltale: Hey do you want to lend us one of your characters to be in our game?
PA: Are you kidding? Fuck yes. We love your games. Where do we sign?

Jenga

Banned
Sega1991 said:
The Penny-Arcade guys are not some gigantic, stingy corporation like Disney who only allows licensing their characters under strict rules and high licensing fees. They're like ~6 people. I would not be surprised if the conversation went something like:

jerry hates videogames what a lie!

itxaka

Defeatist
Sega1991 said:

They should fucking ask Telltale to finish their games then. Fuckers, let me hanging on the second one....

The casual rpgs were freaking funny and enjoyable. Why won't they finsih them, come on!

Top Bottom