• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telltale Games reveals Poker Night

mclem

Jake said:
The posters free if you or a friend preorder the game from Telltale's booth. Also the game is only $5.
But I'm in Britain! Which is on the opposite side of the planet!

(EuroPAX can't be created soon enough)

Haunted

meh

itxaka said:
They should fucking ask Telltale to finish their games then. Fuckers, let me hanging on the second one....

The casual rpgs were freaking funny and enjoyable. Why won't they finish them, come on!
2nd episode didn't sell enough, end of story. :(

mclem said:
But I'm in Britain! Which is on the opposite side of the planet!

(EuroPAX can't be created soon enough)
Would love it if someone was able to grab some for people not going to PAX - would happily pay shipping to the UK.

V_Ben

Banned
Darkflight said:
Would love it if someone was able to grab some for people not going to PAX - would happily pay shipping to the UK.
As would I. I'm stuck in dear old blighty :lol

mclem

Darkflight said:
I can forsee a "Ask someone nicely to ship you swag from PAX" thread being made at some point :lol

Given said swag apparently requires a preorder to be made, this strikes me as tricky. Unless Jake's open to be grovelled at :)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
TehOh said:
PAX attendees can stop by Telltale's booth for this awesome poster.

pokerposter.jpg
this is hilarious :lol

edit: wait, single-player? w-what?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
If it's single player only it better have a good and robust poker AI.

Who am I kidding. :(

coamithra

itxaka said:
They should fucking ask Telltale to finish their games then. Fuckers, let me hanging on the second one....

The casual rpgs were freaking funny and enjoyable. Why won't they finsih them, come on!
The final installment is being released as a free episodic noninteractive text based adventure here

Jake said:
It's single player. The games about playing poker/hanging out with all of those characters with their personalities intact. There's more dialog in this game than in a Sam & Max episode, both for poker playing and for the ambient conversations that spring up and roll around the table as the game goes on.
Will Valve be giving you access to their proprietary facial animation tool, or just a bunch of stock blend shapes for the heavy's expressions?

Have their been any restrictions or guidelines for the use of the character set down?

mclem

Green Scar said:
It'd be cool if they add new characters to this over time. I'd love to see, say, Alyx Vance in this.

GladOS?

Oh, and can we have poker commentary from The Administrator?

stuminus3

Banned
itxaka said:
They should fucking ask Telltale to finish their games then.
They should have asked Telltale to make their games in the first place.

No offense to the Hothead guys, but Telltale are really the only company in the entire world in any kind of position to have made it work.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Green Scar said:
Nolan North.
Nathan Drake, Thomas Miles, Jason Fleming, the Prince from Prince of Persia, and Nolan North himself are going to be in a Nolan DLC pack so you can have a card game with just Nolan North.

Hugbot

I will buy the hell out of it, and I wish I could buy the hell out of that poster as well. Maybe it'll show up on the website sometime.

ElNarez

Banned
Kuran said:
Why would it be singleplayer only?
If the way Telltale Texas Hold'em work is to be trusted, it's actually more of a puzzle game than it is an actual poker game. By that I mean it's actually about identifying the various quirks of each character and guessing from that what they're going to do. Hence why there's tons and tons of dialogues, and why it's single-player only.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I will buy it because I love Strong Bad, the Heavy and Max, but Penny Arcade's inclusion is just weird and out of place. I don't find the their characters even slightly interesting and they have nowhere near the personality that the others do.

ElNarez said:
If the way Telltale Texas Hold'em work is to be trusted, it's actually more of a puzzle game than it is an actual poker game. By that I mean it's actually about identifying the various quirks of each character and guessing from that what they're going to do. Hence why there's tons and tons of dialogues, and why it's single-player only.

So it's like Punch-Out with poker?

mclem

This description reminds me of Textfire Golf.

Basically, that's a text adventure, that's also a golf simulation. And while it goes for something Tiger Woods-esque - at least in so far as text is involved - for the actual simulation, there's interaction between your opponents. And given that you're playing with two other employees and your boss, the best ending doesn't necessarily come from the best golf play...

online poker only makes sense to me if you can see people's faces, so i'm down with single player.

plus, buying this saved me more than it cost off the price of Sam and Max animated series which I'd been planning on picking up at some point anyway.

i'm sure it's worth -$1

mclem

plagiarize said:
online poker only makes sense to me if you can see people's faces, so i'm down with single player.

plus, buying this saved me more than it cost off the price of Sam and Max animated series which I'd been planning on picking up at some point anyway.

i'm sure it's worth -$1

I've already bought most of the things on the TTG store I care about, though. I wonder if there's any chance of getting the announcements about the deluxe edition upgrade of S&M series 3 or the Case File for the same up and ready before the offer expires?

Edit: Actually, do I have the original Telltale Texas Hold'em? I'll have to check.

Hugbot

mclem said:
I've already bought most of the things on the TTG store I care about, though. I wonder if there's any chance of getting the announcements about the deluxe edition upgrade of S&M series 3 or the Case File for the same up and ready before the offer expires?

Edit: Actually, do I have the original Telltale Texas Hold'em? I'll have to check.
This is the first time I've pre-bought a Season from the TTG store, how much was the last deluxe upgrade?

Malio

Well, that was disappointing to say the least.

If it's $5 though, I'll get it...just to hear the Heavy and Strongbad sound bites.

mclem

ElNarez said:
Deluxe edition ? If you mean the DVD, I think it's free if you bought the season.

The DVDs are free for people who bought the season, yes (well, cost of postage). With TOMI, though, they released a Deluxe edition, which was $15 for season purchasers but included a number of extra goodies.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
It seems hard to believe that after making the Penny-Arcade RSPD games that they would allow Tycho to be in this game.

It doesn't seem like the kind of thing that they would give high reviews to. Big misuse of characters here.

L00P

ElNarez said:

Ohhh so it's actually a poker-themed puzzle game. Color me interested

Glix

udivision said:
Even the members of Gobias thought that it was one of the worsts bluffs ever.

Are there any games where you get to ride a Segway? (Dead Rising seems like the best candidate)

I could see speech bubbles for Tycho working, truth be told. Especially if his character was mostly static images, with few or no real frames of animation between his different poses/postures (something along the lines of Kyle Hyde in Hotel Dusk, or Mr. Game and Watch in the Smash Bros. games).

If they do give him a voice, they need to be really picky, as it's going to be under a lot of scrutiny. Even if it is good, it will be weird when reading Penny Arcade afterwards, seeing as how you'll suddenly have a voice for Tycho in your head, but not Gabe.

Fjord

So anyone get this? Can't find impressions anywhere.

edit: Oh sorry you're right, not out quite yet. I thought steam was trying to sell me it.

Hugbot

Fjord said:
So anyone get this? Can't find impressions anywhere.
Not out yet. Shame on you for bumping this thread and making me think that had changed. :(.

Also any chance of that poster making it to the webstore? That'd be keen.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Green Scar said:
It'd be cool if they add new characters to this over time. I'd love to see, say, Alyx Vance in this.

Gordon Freeman would have the best poker face

Top Bottom