• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 58th Presidential Inauguration Ceremony: President Donald J Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Religion has no place in politics.

This is surreal.
Religion underscores or is inseparable from politics in many, if not most, countries.

Many OECD countries with decrepit monarchies still basically enshrine the idea that the monarch's authority comes from God. People just forget about it.

The religiosity of America has got steadily more pronounced in the last 100 years, though. There's a good book about it: http://www.npr.org/2015/03/30/39636...ome-under-god-until-the-50s-religious-revival

aC7gon1.gif

It's all so much worse that I thought it would be

How can this be happening

There's still time

I can still just walk away

Oh god

Ekai

I'm not doing this with you again, Ekai... definitely not today of all days. Your hysterical fear mongering isn't gonna bait me for another back n forth to ruin this day.

You're the one supporting a fascist dictator who scape-goated millions of minorities and used LGBT deaths for his own agenda. You're the one denying the fucking reality minorities such as myself have to face now. You're the one denying the facts on the table of the kind of shit Republicans want to do. Today of all days is the decline of America as we know it. That you're happy sickens me.

Steejee

So many here have no clue what the constitution says about religion and government and that "separation of church and state" is not part of it.

'Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;'

First line of the first amendment.

"he Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion"

Treaty of Tripoli.

That being said the inauguration prayers are a little different and if we managed to elect a non-christian they can use other means to swear in that president instead of a Bible.

gutshot

Separation of church and state was a reference to keeping the state away from interfering with people's religious preferences and practices. It had absolutely nothing to do with the reverse of that. Religious ceremony has always been a big part of the US government.

this type of Jesus/God shit is creepy as hell.. the most powerful nation should not be guided by nonsense.

reminds me of how Bush 2 attacked Iraq because Jesus whispered to him to do it.. to stop the biblical characters Gog and Magog (or sth) from arising in Iraq. fucking madness.

i really hope Trump is a closet atheist and doesn't actually imagine doing God's work.
I bet every president is. But there are a lot of people out there you can get to do your bidding if they think you believe the same shit as them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom