• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vespertine is truly one of the great albums released in my lifetime. I absolutely believe that.

It also formed the backdrop for what I consider to be her greatest concert ever, which I wrote a meandering, masturbatory post about in late September.

bjork_29_318.gif

Koodo

Banned
Listening to Vespertine as I walked to my bus stop at -30 Cº on a snowy day was a religious experience. It's as if the very essence of ICELAND was erupting from my earphones in Europe-disrupting volcanic fashion and encasing my lightly frosted ears in a cocoon of melodic WARMTH.

Vespertine has to be in my top five favorite albums to listen to with nice headphones.

Yep!

It also goes to show just how important mastering on an album can be, and that sound production/mixing is at least as important as the songs themselves. Her pre-Volta albums were notable for their technical mastery, and Vespertine proves that. All those lovely little clicks and whirs really make it something else.

Yas. These three are Bjork's divine trinity.

I have Medulla on my iPod but none of the tracks really caught my ear unfortunately.

Medúlla requires a close ear and repeated listens, and watching videos if necessary. It's probably her most underrated album (along with Debut), but some reviewers were able to get through the concept and hear what she was trying to do. The lack of instruments means that a lot of the melodies are much more complex—which necessarily means it's less accessible.

Such a shame that Björk's creativity is receding faster than Iceland's glaciers.
She just needs to stop working with terrible producers, I think. She's making bad choices.

Sai-kun

Banned
nobody can hate on mutual core though

it's as flawless as she is

still a shame how she ruined crystalline's drum breaks on the album

Ties

Banned
I like Volta more than Biophilia. Biophilia was such a boring album for me. The only one I consistently go back to listen to is Cystalline. I tried listening to the album in one sitting, but it was such a slog. Volta, on the other hand, was a fun listen all the way through with the exception of the worst song ever, Declare Independence.

I'm prepared to get dragged rn
Medúlla requires a close ear and repeated listens, and watching videos if necessary. It's probably her most underrated album (along with Debut), but some reviewers were able to get through the concept and hear what she was trying to do. The lack of instruments means that a lot of the melodies are much more complex—which necessarily means it's less accessible.
I'll give it another look then. I have better headphones now so maybe I can catch all of the little intricacies.

I like Volta more than Biophilia. Biophilia was such a boring album for me. The only one I consistently go back to listen to is Cystalline. I tried listening to the album in one sitting, but it was such a slog. Volta, on the other hand, was a fun listen all the way through with the exception of the worst song ever, Declare Independence.

I'm prepared to get dragged rn
I don't even know anything about Bjork and yet I know enough to say GEERRRLLLL.

Volta sounds like she took a pair of two-year-olds, gave them a bunch of pots and pans, and held them under a box until they suffocated. The whole thing sounds stuffy, claustrophobic, and unnecessarily noisy. It also sounds less coherent than her "concept" albums.

But don't get me wrong, there are plenty of standouts. Dull Flame of Desire is great, Vertebræ by Vertebræ is great, My Juvenile is great, etc.

Ties

Banned
I don't even know anything about Bjork and yet I know enough to say GEERRRLLLL.
kkf9K.gif

declare independence is like pluto's younger, stupider sibling.

still amazing, but not nearly to the same degree as pluto
The problem I have with Declare Independence isn't the production or anything. She's just unnecessarily loud in the song; it sounded like she was giving birth to a walrus the entire time. She sounds more relaxed and controlled on Pluto.

Volta sounds like she took a pair of two-year-olds, gave them a bunch of pots and pans, and held them under a box until they suffocated. The whole thing sounds stuffy, claustrophobic, and unnecessarily noisy. It also sounds less coherent than her "concept" albums.

But don't get me wrong, there are plenty of standouts. Dull Flame of Desire is great, Vertebræ by Vertebræ is great, My Juvenile is great, etc.
I'm partial to Wanderlust. It reminds me of Hyperballad quite a bit.

Kyon

Banned
i mean are we surprised? almost everyone that met her says she is a bitch. All the celebs that admit it is pretty surprising too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom