• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of the Knife/Fever Ray, while they're working on new material, there's another Swede named Karin who's releasing an album produced by the Knife's regular crew:

Karin Park, "Restless"

Moblin, have you heard Eivør? She does some very moody and ethereal music that shares similarities with the Knife in their more subdued moments, along with occasionally performing intensely passionate Faroese folk songs. She's also a classically-trained vocalist for the Mumei's among us. ;)

I was familiar with Karin Park but I wasn't aware that she was working with Christoffer Berg, so now I'm suddenly motivated to go through her back catalog. Thanks!

And I ~love~ Eivør. When I was studying Icelandic I stumbled on all of these wonderful little musical outfits from Iceland, the Faroe Islands, and the rural parts of Norway; she stood out because of her voice and the range of music she chooses to sing. She's pretty great.

Thanks again for the tip!

I am not Moblin - shocking, I know - but I have been listening to those songs and I loved that Hounds of Love cover in particular. I wouldn't have guessed she would sing like that after the first song.

...that's odd, I get us confused all the time. :/

Koodo

Banned
Electra Heart is OK.

y9zWr.gif

Will have to re-listen a couple of times more, but so far the standouts were the tracks that had already leaked/released. Primadonna, Lies and State of Dreaming are the holy trinity of the album.

ON THE PLUS SIDE, I didn't hate any song.

Electra Heart is OK.

y9zWr.gif

Will have to re-listen a couple of times more, but so far the standouts were the tracks that had already leaked/released. Primadonna, Lies and State of Dreaming are the holy trinity of the album.

ON THE PLUS SIDE, I didn't hate any song.

Word for word how I feel. Maybe it will grow, but at least it's not a failure.

Heya, Madge. ;)

DominoKid

Electra lacks Heart.
The songs are all solid...but I'm not feeling that certain Marina quality that I'm used to.

Starring Role grabbed me immediately though.

Nemesis_

Electra Heart is great. Gotta admit not a fan of the slower songs. I'm loving it, lots of songs that I wouldn't skip at all.

Unlike....other albums
rLvCY.gif

Delio

Parking this here for Mumei. Some Kris Allen love.

tumblr_m32a7gBEVD1qd869wo2_250.gif

Anywho im enjoying Electra Heart. Course Primadonna and Lies still remain my favs.

SpiffyG

Electra lacks Heart.
The songs are all solid...but I'm not feeling that certain Marina quality that I'm used to.

Starring Role grabbed me immediately though.
It's a very cold album, but purposefully so. She made her "massive pop record", now I kinda hope she does a more experimental sound for the next album. At least that's what I'd like to see her do... And the last minute of Fear and Loathing gives me a little bit of hope that she'll do that next time around.

How I'd rate the songs on Electra Heart:

5/5
Living Dead
Fear and Loathing
State of Dreaming

4.5/5
Primadonna
Lies
Teen Idle
Valley of the Dolls

4/5
Starring Role
Power & Control
Hypocrates

3/5
Bubblegum Bitch
Homewrecker

Loving this album so much! I hope it has as much lasting appeal for me as The Family Jewels did. Although since the songs are a bit simpler this time around, I can see how they could possibly get old quicker.

Hello, Kris.

iUdzPUoEEhErN.gif
SLUT

fMgTq.gif

EDIT: Listening to Electra Heart now. I knew it wouldn't be totally up my alley, and it certainly won't compare to the other "...Heart" album dropping this year, but there are a few addictive tracks.

- I like the lyrics in "Primadonna" - "All I ever wanted was the world" might as well be my tombstone inscription. "Lies" is my next-favorite.

- "Valley of the Dolls" and "The State of Dreaming" are neat.

6/10

Nemesis_

Loving this album so much! I hope it has as much lasting appeal for me as The Family Jewels did. Although since the songs are a bit simpler this time around, I can see how they could possibly get old quicker.

I feel the opposite, Electra Heart feels much more refined than The Family Jewels. There are a lot of songs that I skipped quite often on her original album (especially the god awful I AM NOT A ROBOT). So yeah, kind of enjoying Electra Heart a lot more. I like the whole "electronic" direction for her.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Kris Allen's agent needs to hook him up with the company that sent Jake Shears free jockstraps to model for the internet's viewing pleasure.

royalan

royalan and I have debated this a lot, and while I think that he would say that they are giving an incomplete look at technical ability by not looking at her versatility and not giving her musicality enough credit (a subject I am agnostic on), I doubt he'd argue with most of the charges about her bad habits.

Correct. :)

I've never heard this before! Oh, Christmasriah...

Ah, Brandy. I actually really liked some of Afrodisiac, particularly Focus and I Tried. Dat Timbaland production (well, I think it was...) Pity he turned shit.

Afrodisiac was a great album. Actually, Brandy still makes great albums...they're just too pedestrian to ever make a splash on the charts. I want her to really go for broke and make a hit-worthy album again, because musically she's better now than she ever was.

"The bathrooms are very spacious."

waiT

I was stanning hard for Bey's Billboard Award performance, but it turns out that routine was ripped off wholesale from some Italian girl.

KLEPTONCÉ IS RELENTLESS.

At this point, the real joy in a Beyonce performance/video is not the thing itself, but inevitably discovering who it was she completely ripped off.

Cosmic's post has me listening to The Knife and Fever Ray all over again. Since it's pop music that I *gasp* actually listen to on a regular basis and have all over my iPod, here are some covers by other pop artists that you may know.

ifaIR2nQdO4cI.jpg
ibbZ463hVtQLv8.gif

The Knife was a hit in select indie/electronic circles prior to Silent Shout, but it was José González' cover of Heartbeats that made them popular among the mainstream music press, so there are a few covers of that song:

José González famously covered it, and the cover was featured in a popular Bravia ad.

Ellie Goulding has covered the song a few times, most notably for BBC Radio 1's Live Lounge.

Gossip covered it extensively on their tour a few years ago. Beth Ditto even calls The Knife "my favorite band" at the beginning of the video. (<3 u beth, etc)​

i8NoamGoNr5Rf.gif

Fever Ray is Karin Dreijer Andersson's solo project, and her eponymous debut got a lot of attention from critics and appeared on several year-end best-of lists in 2009.​

Florence + The Machine has done a cover/mashup version of If I Had a Heart on a few occasions, this is them performing during their XFM sessions.

This First Aid Kit cover of When I Grow Up was featured in an episode of Private Practice, so it got some attention.​

injMXdcTbY1hJ.jpg
ibivYoUivKkysn.png

iFJzj1Eg2p533.jpg
ibnXJDnhGZBbqD.jpg

Here are the originals of the songs covered:

The Knife - Heartbeats

Fever Ray - If I Had a Heart

Fever Ray - When I Grow Up <----amazing video​

iblLbxCl6gTNKR.gif
iX53vIL58r4Mr.gif

but yeah so that's that

ibpVg35KdIW2Y0.gif

HiResDes

Yeah I just realized how R&B focused my thread was and made it more well-rounded with actual pop music...Also am still awaiting a move to off-topic.

Icicle

Usher's "Climax" is easily one of the best songs I've heard in the past few years. While his follow-up song, "Scream," is more "Yeah" or "DJ Got Us Falling in Love" than "Climax," it's fun and catchy, if a bit lyrically vapid. The song hits radio stations today.

Listen here

Thoughts?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Cosmic's post has me listening to The Knife and Fever Ray all over again. Since it's pop music that I *gasp* actually listen to on a regular basis and have all over my iPod, here are some covers by other pop artists that you may know.

ifaIR2nQdO4cI.jpg
ibbZ463hVtQLv8.gif

The Knife was a hit in select indie/electronic circles prior to Silent Shout, but it was José González' cover of Heartbeats that made them popular among the mainstream music press, so there are a few covers of that song:

José González famously covered it, and the cover was featured in a popular Bravia ad.

Ellie Goulding has covered the song a few times, most notably for BBC Radio 1's Live Lounge.

Gossip covered it extensively on their tour a few years ago. Beth Ditto even calls The Knife "my favorite band" at the beginning of the video. (<3 u beth, etc)​

i8NoamGoNr5Rf.gif

Fever Ray is Karin Dreijer Andersson's solo project, and her eponymous debut got a lot of attention from critics and appeared on several year-end best-of lists in 2009.​

Florence + The Machine has done a cover/mashup version of If I Had a Heart on a few occasions, this is them performing during their XFM sessions.

This First Aid Kit cover of When I Grow Up was featured in an episode of Private Practice, so it got some attention.​

injMXdcTbY1hJ.jpg
ibivYoUivKkysn.png

iFJzj1Eg2p533.jpg
ibnXJDnhGZBbqD.jpg

Here are the originals of the songs covered:

The Knife - Heartbeats

Fever Ray - If I Had a Heart

Fever Ray - When I Grow Up <----amazing video​

iblLbxCl6gTNKR.gif
iX53vIL58r4Mr.gif

but yeah so that's that

ibpVg35KdIW2Y0.gif

I fucking love The Knife and Fever Ray. Karin Dreijer Andersson's vocal work enriches a few Röyksopp songs too. And they're basically responsible for helping Robyn launch her current sound (she worked with them on Who's That Girl?, which she presented to her record label. They hated it so she set up Konichiwa.)

Saw Fever Ray when they were touring, it was totally awesome. No traditional lighting, the only lights were lots of lamps on stage (like the above .gif). Lots of lasers too. I'd LOVE to see The Knife if they do another tour.

They have a new album out this year, too. A proper one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom