• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phantom Pain, aka Metal Gear Solid V, Announced (360/PS3, "Moby Dick Studio")

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would kill for a game where the main character is Liquid Snake but Kojima seems to just hate the guy or made a huge mistake killing him in the first game. He was the best villain in the MGS universe.

Kira Yakimi posted a message saying that Kojima's Twitter feed mentions he's editing a trailer. The image says "Cutting Soon" as opposed to "Coming Soon". Could this be some sort of cryptic clue.

Sure, cutting is a common term when editing, but could refer to something else like cutting someone's arm off?

Kira Yakimi posted a message saying that Kojima's Twitter feed mentions he's editing a trailer. The image says "Cutting Soon" as opposed to "Coming Soon". Could this be some sort of cryptic clue.

Sure, cutting is a common term when editing, but could refer to something else like cutting someone's arm off?

Looks like it's part of the trailer, Rising seems the most obvious but I don't know if he's involved in the trailers.

9rhal.jpg

bUM7N.jpg

looks freaking amazing lol

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
So from the Alternate trailer, posted above, I actually realized that there are nurses between the people being shot, because of the female screams.

And also realized that there's a new geographical hint:

Abd since other Gaffers have said this is Princess Mary's Hospital, and because that very hospital is located in RAF Akrotiri (managed by the UK, and built in the 1950's), I believe this tunnel could be the A6 tunnel near that place:

EDIT: Not to mention that in the mark 2:49 the sound of the flashlight turning on sounds similar to a sound effect found in the Ground Zeroes trailer, if I'm not mistaken.

EDIT 2: YES IT DOES! Look right here.

Mr. RHC

So from the Alternate trailer, posted above, I actually realized that there are nurses between the people being shot, because of the female screams.

And also realized that there's a new geographical hint:

EDIT: Not to mention that in the mark 2:49 the sound of the flashlight turning on sounds similar to a sound effect found in the Ground Zeroes trailer, if I'm not mistaken.

EDIT 2: YES IT DOES! Look right here.

Nice! Would be cool if we were to cruise through Cyprus with a jeep! :D

Interestingly "Dreamers Bay" is to the East of the Hospital. I can't see where the Alexander the Great statue is on Google map. Shame there is no street view here.

More ties to LIQUID SNAKE

The Hospital was also A Low Care Transit Facility at the RAF Akrotiri airhead with TPMH staff during the first Gulf War of 1990 and 1991. Staff remaining at the hospital cared for prisoners of war.

Liquid Snake was an operative during the Gulf War and was also captured, tortured and a Prisoner of War. Was he transferred here?

From Wiki - Liquid Snake.

During the Gulf War in Iraq, he was assigned to an SAS unit to track down and destroy mobile Scud missiles. In truth, he infiltrated the Middle East as a sleeper agent for the British Secret Intelligence Service (SIS), but he was taken prisoner by the Iraqis (was tortured) and went missing. Because of his status as a prisoner of war in Iraq, he also never got a chance to enter Century House. In 1994, he was rescued by the U.S. Government.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
After hearing again the soldier that assists Snake (whoever it is), I'm getting into the idea that he's voiced by John Cygan (Solidus Snake in MGS2) rather than Kiefer Sutherland...

Abd since other Gaffers have said this is Princess Mary's Hospital, and because that very hospital is located in RAF Akrotiri (managed by the UK, and built in the 1950's), I believe this tunnel could be the A6 tunnel near that place:

Yeah I remember seeing that it was the only find for 'tunnel' on google maps. There's are no lights along the sides in real life but it could be a rough reference if it's a road tunnel.

strobogo

Banned
That sounds like pretty generic music, though. It sounds like music you'd hear on any given half way action show from 1999-2002.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I see a Twin Snakes poster. I thought Twin Snakes no longer exists as far as Kojima is concerned!
Contrary to popular thought, Kojima doesn't hate Twin Snakes. He just doesn't view it as canon. I'm sure there's a Metal Gear Acid poster too, somewhere.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Contrary to popular thought, Kojima doesn't hate Twin Snakes. He just doesn't view it as canon. I'm sure there's a Metal Gear Acid poster too, somewhere.

I don't think he views it one way or the other. They're both almost identical in story and themes. He recognises the PSX release as his original vision, and therefore where the Solid legacy was born, but also made sure many areas of difference in Twin Snakes were deliberate and canon (see: Naomi and Mei Ling's accents) moving through to MGS4.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
He's not very fond of the Metal Gear NES version, too.

Metal Gear NES had a lot of content cut and changed, which is probably why it's not considered canon. Like, the actual Metal Gear was cut from the NES version for some bizarre reason.

Official canon games (from memory):
Metal Gear
Metal Gear: Solid Snake
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid 4
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (so far)

Ghost Babel, Metal Gear NES, Snake's Revenge, the Ac!d series, and the mobile games aren't canon. Portable Ops is kind of a grey area. Kojima is doing a good job of ignoring it, but the content of the story is still considered canon I think. Snake Tales from MGS2: Substance also isn't canon, I don't think.

Remakes, like MGS3D, Twin Snakes, and the HD Collection are all considered "canon" I guess, in the sense that they don't really do anything that conflicts with their source material. Really just re-releases and tweaked remakes. Twin Snakes wont ever be the icon for Kojima or the series that the original MGS was, but it does have slightly changed content that is considered canon (again, Mei Ling and Naomi's accents). Most of these changes were a result of mistakes from the original translation I think (eg: Mei Ling always grew up in America, and Naomi was supposed to have a Canadian accent, not British).

Snake Tales from MGS2: Substance also isn't canon, I don't think.

I dunno, the one where Snake goes to the Big Shell to get a photo of a giant soldier monster to sell for money and ends up flinging through alternate realities due to a new VR system that warps reality so he can stop Alternate Universe Solidus who is married to Alternate Universe Mei Ling is probably canon.

Wait why is portable ops a grey area? Totally forgot what happened in that game.

Portable Ops wasn't closely handled or written by Kojima, and a lot of its story was completely unnecessary. Peace Walker never mentions anything that happened in it, and one of the earliest parts of Peace Walker has a character mentioning that they "can finally leave all that crap in San Heironymo [PO's setting] behind," which many have interpreted as Kojima indirectly disavowing Portable Ops.

Portable Ops wasn't closely handled or written by Kojima, and a lot of its story was completely unnecessary. Peace Walker never mentions anything that happened in it, and one of the earliest parts of Peace Walker has a character mentioning that they "can finally leave all that crap in San Heironymo [PO's setting] behind," which many have interpreted as Kojima indirectly disavowing Portable Ops.

Pretty much. As I've said before, a parallel can be made to Stallone and Rocky V. He did the exact same thing with Rocky Balboa; that is, completely ignoring the previous movie in a way that is tantamount to disowning.

Dusky

I thought he considered it canon but not a main chapter?

If nothing else, I'm enjoying the Liquid fans attempt to prove their case. Their theories are so out there and entertaining.

You must admit there's a lot more that could be done with this protagonist. It's interesting how Kojima kept his presence in the two subsequent games after his supposed death.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

That pretty much does the opposite: it means what happened did happen.

That pretty much does the opposite: it means what happened did happen.

I dunno...

Naked Snake ends Portable Ops with a secret microfilm that contains the funds and equipment to create Outer Heaven, knowledge that Volgin firing the Davey Crocket (and thus the reason for The Boss's death) was planned out by the CIA, that Sokolov somehow mysteriously survived and was given Granin's papers to build two Metal Gears (ICBMG and RAXA), Naked Snake kind of annoyed by the name "Big Boss," and the game concludes that The Boss died to protect her calling in life and Snake getting over her death by deciding to take a different path in life.

Peace Walker opens up with Snake as a penniless mercenary with no money or equipment, he hasn't gotten over The Boss's death, he meets the guy who planned Operation Snake Eater but seems more disdainful of this dumb CIA suit instead of the righteous anger appropriate against someone who intentionally forced The Boss's assassination, Sokolov is only mentioned as Granin's rival back in the Soviet Union, when talking about "Metal Gear" nobody ever mentions RAXA or ICBMG but instead acts like Huey got Granin's papers direct from the CIA with nobody else touching them, Snake absolutely hates the name "Big Boss" until the very end, and the game (and Snake) concludes that The Boss died abandoning her calling in life and Snake (once again) deciding to move and and take a different path than her.

Peace Walker walks all over almost everything established by Portable Ops.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
How does a penniless merc have weapons, a base of operations, and people working for him?

They were given their base by Galvez at the start of the game and kidnapped the majority of their staff

Unless you mean that dilapidated shack on the beach Snake and Miller were operating out of prior to that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom