• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phantom Pain, aka Metal Gear Solid V, Announced (360/PS3, "Moby Dick Studio")

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain are the same game but with episodes. (5)

1. Ground Zeroes (looses his arm)
2. Phantom Pain

I've thought about this myself, and I think it'd be insanely awesome if it was a journey through time right up to the point where Snake blows BB away in MG2.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I think ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain are the same game but with episodes. (5)

1. Ground Zeroes (looses his arm)
2. Phantom Pain

...but..why 5 when you say they are episodes, as far as I know episodic are just two entries after the main game. see Half Life 2.. there is no episode 3 so according to Negab no one should make episode 3 for their episodic games.

however they may a make puzzle game that share the same universe and call it Holes or something (with a deaf Cyborg girl with a gun that shoot nanomachines holes).

Some interesting theories.

But maybe it's in reverse?

MGS V
MGS IV
MGS III
MGS II
MGS I
MGS Ground Zeroes.

Love the Wii U theory. That would just blow everyone away except there's no mention of it on the Moby Dick site, same as the Vita.

Here's edit 1 which evolved from the original vision of OBE.

http://youtu.be/O5IW-9Co2IE

You could be right about waking up at the end. At some point they need to use that complicated medical operation mocapping that Kojima tweeted about. Personally I think that will involve attaching a new/old arm back on to Snake, assuming he really lost it when he lost consciousness. It could be something unrelated, but I doubt it's an amputation, too boring.

BurnOutBrighter's linking of the Raiden looking guy entering the room before Snake is lifted up looks spot on, I can't explain where he disappears to but he could be an early single man unit sent in, before the rest of the soldiers storm the place. That way they could even follow him sneaking through the hospital making it look like he'll be the player's character, or have they worn that joke out already? Presumably he's going in to take out or capture Big Boss and the fire summoner stops him, or whatever. How the hell should I know.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It has been discussed to death, but everything about The Phantom Pain reeks of Psycho Mantis. Mantis mentions he wears a mask to shield himself from other people's thoughts forcibly entering his mind, and the kid in the trailer is clearly wearing some helmet of sorts. The theme of face bondage/bandaging is prominent, along with hallucinations of fire.

m1dikbn.png

m21gkkk.png

Where and how did he said that?

In the video, shows the petals falling in both shots, and both from the same viewpoint. Don't know if he was the first to spot it but it was new to me.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=45346371#post45346371

It has been discussed to death, but everything about The Phantom Pain reeks of Psycho Mantis. Mantis mentions he wears a mask to shield himself from other people's thoughts forcibly entering his mind, and the kid in the trailer is clearly wearing some helmet of sorts. The theme of face bondage/bandaging is prominent, along with hallucinations of fire.

But did we really expect him to have a big mop of hair either side of the gasmask? :p He's certainly a good bet, hadn't seen that cutscene before, he is powerful indeed.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Might be a bit far fetched, but the floor tile in some of the screenshots just can't make me stop thinking of Big Shell in Metal Gear Solid 2. :D

big-shell.jpg

alt-noscale.jpg

Hexagons, in general, can be found all over the MGS games ;)

Ok more stuff to toss in seeing as people are on the Mantis tip.

Some people are leaning towards the character in the trailer being Liquid snake and the whole ordeal being the work of Psycho Mantis.

I initially thought of Liquid but things didn't add up. However, here's an interesting idea.

The Phantom Pain commonly refers to the pain experienced from losing a limb and still feeling pain from something that isn't there any more. If this is Liquid Snake, then what if the Phantom Pain actually refers to Liquid feeling the loss of an arm before it's even taken from him? That would make for an interesting twist on things.

Why do people keep saying this is Liquid Snake? Just because of the hand? The character looks absolutely nothing like him otherwise. Let's put that theory to bed until something actually points to Liquid, because absolutely nothing does so far.

Also, Psycho Mantis makes perfect sense: he was born in the 70s. This game presumably takes place after Peace Walker in the late 70s, early 80s; so, the kid's age looks right. Moreover, considering almost EVERYTHING in the trailer is a hallucination, who else could it be? Plus, he's a fan-favorite, and the Big Boss games have always tried to give backstory to all the SS ones.

Except there are several clues which could point to Liquid especially as the time period or location isn't clear at all.

The arm is in fact the least plausible clue considering everyone knows it's possibly the wrong arm. However it could be foreshadowing or a metaphor in the dream/hallucination which could be caused by the green and white capsules. Liquid later gained a tattoo on his LEFT ARM - the one that's missing here.

My initial reaction was the hair colour which is more blonde than brown. Little is known of Liquid's past aside from the fact that he grew up in the UK (the flag on the wall could be a reference). Joined the SAS at a young age, was enlisted into Mi5 and then the SIS before carrying out covert operations in the middle east namely Iraq.

His hair was blonde possibly from the sun spending time in the middle east where he carried out missions disabling scud missiles. However, he was captured and brutally tortured in Iraq and was possibly sold out by the SIS. perhaps the injuries and scars are a hint at the torture. Kojima might retcon Liquid having a mechanized arm despite the fact we see him shirtless at the end of MGS.

Liquid is a clone of BIG BOSS, and therefore, much like Snake and Solidus will look very similar. There are distinct ties with Liquid and Mantis considering they worked together during the Shadow Moses incident in Fox Hound.

Also, aside from Moby Dick Studios' name, the whale itself is very indicative of water - ie. Liquid. Fire is a prominent theme in the trailer of which water (liquid) would be its contrast.

In Cyprus where the map on the wall suggests the location is, they speak several languages including Iraqi Arabic of which Liquid speaks fluently - again the map and flag could be hint about this.

There's a possibility that the Mantis figure is actually helping the character escape in the trailer which could also support the theory that it could be Liquid.

At this juncture, the character being Liquid is just as feasible as it being Big Boss or anyone else.

I'm not sure on the dye reference, but seeing as Liquid loathed Big Boss, I think there was cause to differentiate his look from his brothers/father. It's possible the dye reference comes from when Liquid disguised himself as Master Miller during the Shadow Moses incident - Liquid was a master of disguise although wasn't as hardcore as Decoy Octopus; I can't be sure if this is correct and it could be Solid who dyed his hair.

And Cam Clark is simply awesome as Liquid. I would love to see him reprise the role.

*runs off to hassle Mr Clark on Twitter*

Man, people saying it's Liquid Snake don't know anything about the game's lore.

Care to enlighten us as to why it isn't possible then, seeing as you're so damn sure. Like I said, until an exact time period is established anything is fair game including relations to characters that don't necessarily fit with each other. I mean people placed the trailer in the 70's 80s because of a dashboard on an ambulance. Kind of ignoring the fact that ambulances can last many years.

Apologies for the hostile tone, but don't simply type half a sentence with no basis behind it. Present some factual evidence, fuel the discussion.

Very LTTP, I know, but I just watched this the other day and I can't help but feel a bit disappointed that it's not actually a new IP. Looks very interesting. Now I feel that the crippling stupidity of the MGS universe will come down on me within the first few hours of whatver this is.

I've never really thought about this in earnest before, but is it really possible for the sun to have bleached a brunette Liquid's hair totally blond? I know prolonged exposure will lighten hair, but I can't really believe hair as dark as Big Boss and Solid Snake's could ever go blond for good just from the sun, especially since those two didn't exactly stay indoors all the time either. Liquid's just a blond guy.

Care to enlighten us as to why it isn't possible then, seeing as you're so damn sure. Like I said, until an exact time period is established anything is fair game including relations to characters that don't necessarily fit with each other. I mean people placed the trailer in the 70's 80s because of a dashboard on an ambulance. Kind of ignoring the fact that ambulances can last many years.

Apologies for the hostile tone, but don't simply type half a sentence with no basis behind it. Present some factual evidence, fuel the discussion.

It's true that ambulances can last many years, but considering that Kojiima and co are detail maniacs, I'm sure they looked at what ambulances in the UK were like in the 70s because the game takes place in that time.

What baffles me the most is the people believing for one second that this is a different game from Ground Zeroes. That is crazy talk. Kojima Productions is not Ubisoft Montréal; they cannot juggle multiple AAA projects at the same time. This is so true that they had to wait until the Fox Engine was done before starting development on Ground Zeroes. Unless they pull off a Naughty Dog and announce that the game is being made by a secret second team, or that the game is straight-up not made by them, then Phantom Pain and Ground Zeroes are one and the same. The chances of it being otherwise are very slim.

Pre

I see no real reason to believe that it is Liquid. GZ and PP are surely part of the same game, and nothing about the character model suggests that it could be Liquid.

And yes, Liquid spoke Arabic fluently and Cyprus is close to the Middle East, but Big Boss also visited the ME because he knew Sniper Wolf, who was an Iraqi Kurd.

I am also in belief that this character is LIQUID SNAKE or a younger LIQUID SNAKE. Liquid being on fire is quite an entertaining nod seeing as Liquid does not burn.

liquid-phantom.jpg

Interestingly it's the only other shot of this room shown at the beginning of the trailer.

Why? Because the rolled up sleeves and the full fingered gloves are a clue. Check out artworks and you'll find Liquid's gloves a prominent design feature. Rolled up sleeves are indicative of fisticuffs.

baddie-brawl-sephiroth-vs-liquid-snake-20091105024534579-000.jpg

I did think it could be The Boss, but I could not find any images of her with exposed arms, plus like Ocelot, she wears fingerless gloves.

Salaadin

I am also in belief that this character is LIQUID SNAKE or a younger LIQUID SNAKE. Liquid being on fire is quite an entertaining nod seeing as Liquid does not burn.

http://cramgaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/liquid-phantom.jpg[/IMG

Interestingly it's the only other shot of this room shown at the beginning of the trailer.

Why? Because the rolled up sleeves and the full fingered gloves are a clue. Check out artworks and you'll find Liquid's gloves a prominent design feature. Rolled up sleeves are indicative of fisticuffs.

[IMG]http://cramgaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/baddie-brawl-sephiroth-vs-liquid-snake-20091105024534579-000.jpg[/IMG

I did think it could be The Boss, but I could not find any images of her with exposed arms, plus like Ocelot, she wears fingerless gloves.[/QUOTE]

Even thought theyre too covered to really tell, that character looks feminine to me. My guess is its either Boss, EVA, or Raidenovich.
Im also rolling with the assumption that this game takes place in the 70s. Since Liquid was born in '72, he wouldnt be that old.

RavenH2

So, if it is liquid, what year is the game set on?

Asuming it's the "old ambulance" theory, when is the Phantom Pain taking place? Does Liquid age as fast as Snake? Is it before Shadow Moses and just a dream sequence (which explains why it's the wrong arm)?

The only dream sequence I remember from any Metal Gear was the dream sequence in Snake Eater, which to be honest, didn't have much to do with anything. It was more of a fan service Kojima did to some of his favourite games of old. Just like he added the Poyaan missions in Peace Walker...

To be honest, I have quite a hard time buying the "it's Liquid theory".

I think it's big boss, the phantom pain is not only for his missing arm (I do not recall Big Boss losing an arm in the metal gear canon), but also from the people he killed. Volgin, The Boss, etc...

Also, I would love the sorrow to return as well.

And by the way, does anyone know what happens to the son that The Boss gave birth to in the battlefield? Who is he? Does Jack (aka Big Boss) know?

sensui-tomo

So, if it is liquid, what year is the game set on?

Asuming it's the "old ambulance" theory, when is the Phantom Pain taking place? Does Liquid age as fast as Snake? Is it before Shadow Moses and just a dream sequence (which explains why it's the wrong arm)?

The only dream sequence I remember from any Metal Gear was the dream sequence in Snake Eater, which to be honest, didn't have much to do with anything. It was more of a fan service Kojima did to some of his favourite games of old. Just like he added the Poyaan missions in Peace Walker...

To be honest, I have quite a hard time buying the "it's Liquid theory".

I think it's big boss, the phantom pain is not only for his missing arm (I do not recall Big Boss losing an arm in the metal gear canon), but also from the people he killed. Volgin, The Boss, etc...

Also, I would love the sorrow to return as well.

And by the way, does anyone know what happens to the son that The Boss gave birth to in the battlefield? Who is he? Does Jack (aka Big Boss) know?

The boss's son was revealed,(i'm kinda new so i dont know that spoiler tag stuff) but go check a wiki or that metal gear info from mgs 4 on the ps3.. whether big boss knows though is a whole other matter.

If you're asking if we the player know, yes,
it was Ocelot. I don't know who knows in the actual game universe. I can't remember what game it is, but I thought Ocelot made it clear at some point that he knew Boss was his mother. Maybe the end of Portable Ops? He doesn't know in Snake Eater.

EDIT: Spoiler tagged it, just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom