• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Spoony Experiment

PacoDG

Damn, haven't seen this thread in a while. Just catching up. His Fallout 3 whines are pretty lame. But loving his Dead Space review so far (despite it took him over two minutes before he even mentions Dead Space.. and also says "Rock Band World Tour" ... maybe on purpose to make his point.. didn't sound like it though).

I like his older game reviews more, but he should keep on keeping on (which I see by the amount of updates, that is just what he is doing).

He should just embed some videos on screen while he is just talking (to keep things visually interesting.. otherwise I would just download mp3s of his reviews and listen in my car.... which I would do)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
PacoDG said:
Damn, haven't seen this thread in a while. Just catching up. His Fallout 3 whines are pretty lame. But loving his Dead Space review so far (despite it took him over two minutes before he even mentions Dead Space.. and also says "Rock Band World Tour" ... maybe on purpose to make his point.. didn't sound like it though).

I like his older game reviews more, but he should keep on keeping on (which I see by the amount of updates, that is just what he is doing).

He should just embed some videos on screen while he is just talking (to keep things visually interesting.. otherwise I would just download mp3s of his reviews and listen in my car.... which I would do)

Interesting that you should mention that as Mr. Antwiler here is planning on recording some new Rifftrax material.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Incoming message from The Big Giant Spoon:

The Spoony One

Well, I just finished recording game footage after pulling an all-nighter session. I nearly went postal on this thing because almost an identical thing happened to Phantasmagoria as my last Final Fantasy VIII review. I played through about three discs' worth of content, felt very satisfied with myself, checked the footage and...

There was no sound. On any of it. Three hours of footage, and no sound.

I'd fucked up. I'd chosen the wrong sound device for my video capture software, and as a result the only sound I caught was my commentary, which I was recording on my DV camera. Basically the entire recording session was a disaster, and none of the footage was usable.

There was nothing for it but to record it all again, watch all the same FMVs again, do all the same stuff in the same way. Basically I had to play the game as if I hadn't played the game before, leaving pauses to allow the viewer to read e-mails along with me, inspect items and game screens, in essence, listening to my own commentary and playing the game so that my actions synced up with my narration. Very tedious, very infuriating, but it came out well in the end. I don't even think you'll notice anything amiss; the puzzles are mainly of the "guess the password" and "use all of your items on the thing that's about to eat you" variety, so I didn't really spend much time fumbling around for clues. The playthrough is pretty smooth.

The videos will take a little longer to finish than I thought, though, but only because there's about three hours of game remaining. I can probably trim some time off of it just removing lulls in the action (Curtis walking around looking bemused), but I'd guess there will be twelve to fifteen more sections to go on YouTube. Hard to say.

It's pretty exciting, though. If you thought the game was funny before, that was when crazy shit wasn't happening. The insanity really kicks into high gear very soon, so look for updates around Wednesday night. My advice: don't read any spoilers on this one; you've gotta see it to believe it, and you want to be surprised to find out who's good, who's evil, who lives, and who dies, right? Is it demons, druggies, ghosts possessing your rat, or aliens from Dimension X? Or is it all in Curtis' latently homosexual mind?

Oh, there will be KY Jelly before the end, folks. Stay tuned.

what's the song that plays in the beggining of the Microcosm review?

I know I heard it somewhere and it's killing me

edit: actually it's not just the first one, but all of them until the TMNT song starts playing about 2 minutes in, would someone please help me identify them?

Man, I lost track of this like 3 or 4 videos ago. I was watching them off his site since youtube was being a bitch and got cut off halfway through one of them. I'm going to have to finish it off before he puts more up.

I second the Yor love too (well the comedy review love at least). Just to see that guy again (Space Mutiny was one of my first MST3K's) made it all worthwhile. RAAAARRRGH!!!!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
freethought said:
Man, I lost track of this like 3 or 4 videos ago. I was watching them off his site since youtube was being a bitch and got cut off halfway through one of them. I'm going to have to finish it off before he puts more up.

I second the Yor love too (well the comedy review love at least). Just to see that guy again (Space Mutiny was one of my first MST3K's) made it all worthwhile. RAAAARRRGH!!!!

Chest McLargeHuge.

Crye

Disappointed, had got used to getting two episodes at once, but only one today ;(
I'm horrified to find myself being drawn into Phantasmagoria storyline, I want to know what happens next :lol

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Crye said:
Disappointed, had got used to getting two episodes at once, but only one today ;(
I'm horrified to find myself being drawn into Phantasmagoria storyline, I want to know what happens next :lol

YA sound like some of the TSE forum goers, let us say that what happens next is really stupid, like everything else in this game.

eXistor

So awesome. Usually with these kind of things your interest dwindles when it takes too long, but here I want it to go on and on.

54-46!

Looks like we'll be getting another round of FFVIII, judging by the end of "Let's play Phantasmagoria 2" :D

Jackl

I have worshiped FF8 since I got my playstation nearly a decade a ago. And everything this man says is absolutely true. Its like a [Insert popular celeb here] roast on Comedy Central.

Oh man, I think I'm going to watch it again.

Anal cannon, oh man. I'm still teary eyed over that one.

Ah, randomly encountered this guy the other day when looking for vids of Robin Hood Prince of Thieves for NES. Pretty good.

Although I love that game and its retarded quirkiness-- and he simply tears into it, therefore I feel obligated to link to a video response he got from a german with hilarious german-english and righting the wrongs action going for it there -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOE_q1iqY7M

Nice video, nice game.

Baha

Just chiming in to say that I've been following Spoony's stuff for awhile now and I really enjoyed the Let's Play: Phantasmagoria videos. What would've been an excruciatingly boring game to watch was turned into pure entertainment. I can't wait for him to go back to the FFVIII review since there's so much material there ripe for the riffing.

At first I hated the guy...then I watched the last episode of FFVIII :lol :lol :lol :lol

He should really cut most of the stuff though, making the 7 parts of the FFVIII review into one would make it sooo much better.

RiverBed

Banned
this is the stupidest thing I've seen online in a while. complete garbage.
I could only stand 5 seconds till I black-listed that shit of a site.

Crye

RiverBed said:
Calm down :lol This isn't a youtube comment box.
What exactly don't you like about the guys reviews, you make it sound like you've been personally offended!

I lol'd at his version of the ending of Phantasmagoria. ;) If he does go for some more FF8 vids I hope he will keep it fairly short and snappy, dunno if he really needs to do a whole new series on it.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
RiverBed said:
But he's lonely, you cruel monster!

Shurs

Just because you say you're not ripping off the AVGN or Yahtzee doesn't mean that you aren't. These videos, as much as they try to be entertaining, fail.

Does Spoony post here as Shard?

Top Bottom