• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Macron can and should say what he thinks about Brexit, but really, work on improving France / the EU. Brexit shouldn't be the priority for the French president, rather making sure the next time there's an election the French don't keep giving <x> Le Pen more votes.

Focus on the people who are still in the EU...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Macron can and should say what he thinks about Brexit, but really, work on improving France / the EU. Brexit shouldn't be the priority for the French president, rather making sure the next time there's an election the French don't keep giving <x> Le Pen more votes.

Focus on the people who are still in the EU...

That's precisely what he's said.

He'll be involved, but his focus will be French politics. The EU has negotiators for that kind of work.

Xando

That's precisely what he's said.

He'll be involved, but his focus will be French politics. The EU has negotiators for that kind of work.
Which makes this whole focus on Merkel or Macron even more idiotic because they aren't the ones negotiating the details but only agree/disagree on the main points

Which makes this whole focus on Merkel or Macron even more idiotic because they aren't the ones negotiating the details but only agree/disagree on the main points

The British folk needs enemies.

Seeing how they can't go through a sports event without singing some old war songs should show you that they never moved past 1945 as country.

Jackpot

Banned
7c76e646ca4946f9843b8d648bf046dc.png

I had a sibling vote for Brexit. Guess which bank they work for.

avaya

I had a sibling vote for Brexit. Guess which bank they work for.

There are some that voted Leave who work in both sell and buy-side, not many, but quite a few. The difference is those that voted Leave by and large in these institutions did so precisely because they believe they can benefit from much lower taxes. They voted precisely in the hope of benefitting from a tax haven. It was maddening to discuss the subject with these people but they were at least clear that they couldn't give a fuck about anyone else.

Apparently HSBC have been privately funding the Tories...

That one's been mainly debunked, there's not hugely something to worry about. Usual Canary 1 + 2 = Conspiracy. I'll find a link - I think Buzzfeed did a good bit on it.

Also if banks were really bankrolling the Tories to a way that they could twist policy, we'd be looking more at single market access surely, rather than them all have to bother relocating to Europe. :p

Mr. Sam

That *really* shows where the majority of the raving right wing is now, right?

The Prime Minister - the Prime Minister - stood at a lectern and said it was the case. I mean, why wouldn't a cabal of Europe's centre-right parties want Jeremy Corbyn as Prime Minister?

slider

There are some that voted Leave who work in both sell and buy-side, not many, but quite a few. The difference is those that voted Leave by and large in these institutions did so precisely because they believe they can benefit from much lower taxes. They voted precisely in the hope of benefitting from a tax haven. It was maddening to discuss the subject with these people but they were at least clear that they couldn't give a fuck about anyone else.

avaya, I guess you'd know. I was speaking to a friend's wife (works for Deutsche, voted leave) and, I assume it was some mental gymnastics to justify her vote, but she said that "they're in big trouble". I wanted to say that I thought they were too big to fail(!) but it's something I know nothing about. Quick Google shows some coverage reference bonuses / restructuring in 2016, but is it safe to say that her statement was hyperbole?

Xando

avaya, I guess you'd know. I was speaking to a friend's wife (works for Deutsche, voted leave) and, I assume it was some mental gymnastics to justify her vote, but she said that "they're in big trouble". I wanted to say that I thought they were too big to fail(!) but it's something I know nothing about. Quick Google shows some coverage reference bonuses / restructuring in 2016, but is it safe to say that her statement was hyperbole?
They got a bunch of lawsuits against them running and were in a shit situation last year but have been on the up again.

Deutsche going bust would take down the whole german banking system and the german government would step in before (they considered stepping in last year according to some in german media).

We're sad to see you go but EU is where it's at for us going forward.

I hear UK citizens have the right to live and work in Ireland separate to EU law. Wondering if relocating there post Brexit will still be possible. Supposedly plenty of tech jobs there, and they might be friendlier to self-taught programmers than some other EU countries who like to see relevant qualifications.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...e_in_ireland/residence_rules_UK_citizens.html

avaya

Deutsche Bank is in a lot of trouble, yes. That is no huge surprise but they will be saved. However they will lose market share and will be downsizing in global banking and markets, as was the case at RBS. That is one of the reasons for the large number of jobs leaving London.

The bigger jobs losses from actual Brexit comes from other European banks and American banks needing to provide enough capital reserves to establish as a subsidiary. Almost assuredly BNP and SocGen will both be leaving if that's the case. A lot of others keeping their powder dry for the moment, what we've only heard so far are the contingency plans for the first stage of action. No passporting and Macron probably means a lot of jobs leaving London.

Cabaratier

Neo Member
Deutsche Bank is in a lot of trouble, yes. That is no huge surprise but they will be saved. However they will lose market share and will be downsizing in global banking and markets, as was the case at RBS. That is one of the reasons for the large number of jobs leaving London.

The bigger jobs losses from actual Brexit comes from other European banks and American banks needing to provide enough capital reserves to establish as a subsidiary. Almost assuredly BNP and SocGen will both be leaving if that's the case. A lot of others keeping their powder dry for the moment, what we've only heard so far are the contingency plans for the first stage of action. No passporting and Macron probably means a lot of jobs leaving London.

How do these (additional) capital adequacy requirements get triggered by establishing a new subsidiary in London? Is it EU capital adequacy rules for banks with subsidiaries in third countries?

Lucreto

I hear UK citizens have the right to live and work in Ireland separate to EU law. Wondering if relocating there post Brexit will still be possible. Supposedly plenty of tech jobs there, and they might be friendlier to self-taught programmers than some other EU countries who like to see relevant qualifications.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...e_in_ireland/residence_rules_UK_citizens.html

Hey we don't want non EU citizens taking our jobs! :p

Unfortunately that law will have to be renegotiated as it was written when both were not in the EU and since we joined at the same time there was no conflict but now one us in and one is out that creates problems.

Shiggy

UK industrial output falls again, trade gap widens sharply as economy slows

British industrial output shrank for a third month in a row in March, official data showed on Thursday, underscoring how the impact of last year's Brexit vote has begun to weigh on the economy.

The Office for National Statistics also said Britain's trade deficit widened by more than expected, a further setback for hopes that the fall in the value of the pound since the European Union membership referendum would help rebalance the economy.

Industrial output fell by a monthly 0.5 percent - a sharper decline than expected by economists taking part in a Reuters poll - and output in February was revised lower.

The manufacturing sector, which is part of overall industrial output, saw output fall by 0.6 percent, compared with economists' expectations of no change.

For the first quarter as a whole, industrial output only inched up by 0.1 percent and manufacturing growth slowed to 0.3 percent.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/us-britain-economy-idUKKBN1870ZI

Xando

isolationist policies aren't good for business? Suprise.

Industrial output fell by a monthly 0.5 percent - a sharper decline than expected by economists taking part in a Reuters poll - and output in February was revised lower.

The manufacturing sector, which is part of overall industrial output, saw output fall by 0.6 percent, compared with economists' expectations of no change.

Remember when people said pound value falling 25% was actually good for manufacturing and exports?

German Zeit did an interview with Farage. There are some gems in there like this one:

ZEIT ONLINE: Wenn es zu einem harten Brexit kommen würde, könnten Sie unter Umständen nicht mehr einfach ohne Visum zum Arbeiten nach Brüssel oder nach Hamburg fliegen.

Farage: Schon vor 1914 gab es keine Reisepässe, es hat gut funktioniert. Worüber sprechen Sie also? Offensichtlich kennen Sie sich mit der Geschichte nicht aus.

ZEIT ONLINE: Zu den Grundfreiheiten der EU gehört der freie Verkehr von Waren, Dienstleistungen, Kapital und Personen. Wer die EU verlässt, riskiert den Verlust dieser Freiheiten.

Farage: Als ich 1999 in das Europäische Parlament gewählt wurde, stritt sich niemand über Grenzen oder Flüchtlingseinwanderung. Warum? Weil es nicht relevant war.

ZEIT ONLINE: Mit dem Brexit könnte eine neue Grenze in Europa entstehen.

Farage: Sie leben doch in einer Märchenwelt. Sie müssen verrückt sein. Ich habe niemals so was Dummes gehört. Wegen des Brexits soll ich nicht mehr nach Hamburg reisen können? Sie sollten in einer Comedyshow auftreten.

ZEIT ONLINE: If a hard brexit were to come, you might not be able to fly to Brussels or Hamburg without a visa.

Farage: Already before 1914 there were no passports, it worked well. So what are you talking about? Obviously you do not know about history.

ZEIT ONLINE: The fundamental freedoms of the EU include the free movement of goods, services, capital and persons. Those who leave the EU risk losing these freedoms.

Farage: When I was elected to the European Parliament in 1999, no one argued about borders or refugee immigration. Why? Because it was not relevant.

ZEIT ONLINE: Brexit could create a new border in Europe.

Farage: You live in a fairytale world. You must be crazy. I've never heard anything that stupid. Because of Brexit I should not be able to travel to Hamburg? You should appear in a comedy show.

http://www.zeit.de/politik/ausland/...brexit-ukip-russland-kontakte/komplettansicht

This guy apparently pretends he doesn't know what freedom of movement is and how it will be gone if Brexit happens.

German Zeit did an interview with Farage. There are some gems in there like this one:

http://www.zeit.de/politik/ausland/...brexit-ukip-russland-kontakte/komplettansicht

This guy apparently pretends he doesn't know what freedom of movement is and how it will be gone if Brexit happens.

...Hm...

HMMMMMMMM

More seriously, thinking on it, the issue here is more because leaving the EU without any kind of deal might technically leave us without a travel agreement. Passports don't automatically hold visa-free travel permissions, those perks come from agreements between the respective countries, or from countries having a unilateral rule on whether or not you need a visa in addition to the passport. We've not had to think about those for a while because we were covered as EU members anyway.

Also, is he actually claiming Brits should be allowed to travel wherever they want without a passport?

Theonik

Freedom of Movement and ability to travel to other countries are two totally different things though. Leaving EU doesn't stop the latter.
Yes, but the question was about visa free travel which might be staying but might not be. It's subject to the leave negotiations.
They are actually both the same thing. The distinction comes from agreements between states.
The important thing to remember is they will almost always have to be reciprocal.

Xando

That whole interview was so... weird. While reading Farrages "answers" I definitely got the impression that he mentally insane. The reporter was also more and more pissed. That interview was poised to not end well lol.

Don't forget to mention he walked out of the interview as soon as they started to ask him about his russia connections and the brexit aftermath

Well, that was to be expected from him, really. The fact that he acted like he didn't know that he'd maybe need a visa for travel in Europe when Brexit concludes is what baffled me most.

That, and that his meeting with Assange was for "journalist purposes".

Interesting article on the impact of leaving the EU on tech recruitment:

https://hired.com/blog/highlights/brexit-impact-on-uk-talent-pool/

For these reasons, we wanted to understand Brexit's impact on the global tech community's interest in working in the UK. To do this, we looked at the total pool of candidates who had accepted initial offers from UK-based companies, and found that the number of foreign candidates in this pool is less than half what it was pre-Brexit.

We also looked at the rate at which these individuals accepted initial offers from companies in the UK, which is another gauge of how interested they are. We found that their acceptance rate decreased by nearly 20%, whereas the acceptance rate from local candidates was flat over the same time period.

To get an even fuller picture of Brexit's impact on the UK tech sector, we decided to survey our UK-based candidates to understand how they are feeling about the current environment.

When asked whether the UK's exit from the EU will damage the tech industry, almost three-quarters (71%) of respondents said it would.

Even more tellingly, when asked about their biggest concerns, UK tech workers listed Brexit above all other issues, followed by happiness at work, personal development, and salary. This last point is perhaps unsurprising given that, according to our 2017 State of Salaries report, UK tech workers have one of the lowest average salaries of the 16 markets we examined, and their purchasing power has decreased by 17% over the last year because of fluctuations in the pound.

70% of those we surveyed have considered leaving Britain altogether in the wake of Brexit. The majority of them plan to move to other European cities, though North America and Australia also scored high as potential relocation destinations.

Eighty-five percent of those we surveyed believe restricting workers' movement across the EU will inhibit both business and country-level innovation, while only 17% say Brexit could act as a catalyst to grow digital Britain. More concerning still, however, is that 41% of all tech workers told us they are less likely to start their own business in the UK as a result of Brexit.

Thanks Nigel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom