• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTLance

Juncker seems rather quite bitter - lol
He's a die-hard European. So yeah, Brexit as a whole is an affront to him.

In this case though, I believe he was just shooting the shit and poking fun at UK in a casual manner. He is fluent in many languages, so using one or the other isn't really any skin off his nose. An enraged Juncker sounds quite different.

It's genuinely surprising to me that someone like that can climb the greasy pole.

Well, she was more or less the last woman standing after the CDU donations scandal had swept away most of the party's top brass and she barely managed to win the 2005 elections against Schröder.

What I find really impressive, however, is how she managed to hold on to and consolidate her position since then. I guess it's a bit like with Hillary Clinton in the sense that she's a type of politician who is more effective in actual office than on the campaign trail. It almost lost her the election in 2005, but makes her a very hard to beat opponent now that she has an actual record as the leader of the government.

Xando

Merkel has grown on me these past years. She is so... reasonable, which is quite a rare quality these days.
Yeah. Wasn't really a fan of hers in her early years as chancellor but with the emergence of Trump, May and the AFD i've started to quite like her (especially after the whole refugee thing). But i guess i don't really know many other chancellors (was 12 when she was first elected, now 24).

When it counts she seems to be doing the right thing on most topics (except gay marriage probably).

Imo she's gonna stay chancellor as long as she wants. No one will beat her in an election.

Mother is always there for you.

Even if you dislike her style of policy making she is obviously in a different league than the May's and Trump's in the world.

Xando

The Government could publish its contingency plans for leaving the European Union without a trade deal in a bid to show Brussels it is prepared to walk away from Brexit talks.
According to The Sun, the move would be an effort to convince EU bosses that Britain will not agree to a deal if it felt the terms on offer were not advantageous.
It would involve publishing the plans drawn up by government departments at the request of the head of the civil service earlier this year.
“I understand that not only has the Cabinet Secretary Jeremy Heywood told every Government department to prepare for a no-deal scenario, but the Government is also considering publishing it,” wrote the paper’s columnist James Forsyth.
“They hope that by setting out their plan, they would show the rest of the EU that Britain really was prepared to walk away rather than sign up to a bad deal.”
Mrs May has repeatedly insisted that she is prepared for Brexit to take place without future trade terms - insisting "no deal is better than a bad deal".

Talk about holding a gun to your head and threaten to shoot yourself.

They still haven't learned that the EU inevitable will call this bluff

oti

Banned
You remember the episode of Hey Arnold! when Arnold tried to prevent a bully beating him up by acting as if he was crazy?

chadskin

The Government could publish its contingency plans for leaving the European Union without a trade deal in a bid to show Brussels it is prepared to walk away from Brexit talks.

1ojefb.jpg

May is going full Erdogan here: "Fuck international relations, fuck everything that goes on beyond our borders, we don't care what these people think about us and it doesn't concern us anyway, the world ends at the border of the UK (oh, and the former colonies of course; never should have let go of them anyway). England prevails."

The level of cognitive dissonance is truly staggering. Maybe they should ask Greece or Switzerland how well that strategy worked out for them...

PJV3

I'm certain the EU haven't prepared for a no deal scenario, they will crumble before the daring do of the UK.

They have probably been sitting around eating cheese and drinking wine for the last 10 months.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's nice to see UK make a series of threats, mostly about self-harming themselves, but wouldn't be better for a change to show some actual proposals about what UK would want from a good deal with EU.

I mean, we keep seeing this warrior attitude, but I have no idea what do they actually want to achieve with this attitude.

I'm certain the EU haven't prepared for a no deal scenario, they will crumble before the daring do of the UK.

They have probably been sitting around eating cheese and drinking wine for the last 10 months.

I've been doing that for the last 8 years tbh.

Tacitus_

I doubt that the EU will change their response from some time ago when the UK floated this no deal solution. Which was basically "we think that this is a horribly stupid idea, but we can absorb the damage, you can't".

Don’t know about crumble, but let’s face it, it’s not like it’s gonna to be plain sailing for the EU from here onwards either. Losing any one of the big 3 is a bit like losing an arm or a leg, sure you can probably still function without one, but it won’t be the same.

Also, wtf was Juncker thinking with a stupid jibe like that? English losing importance? What’s he’s trying to do? Insult and rally the entire Anglosphere against EU? Anyways like it or not, my point is there will be reciprocal damage. Frankly, if I have the chance to move anywhere, I’ll get away from this euro blast zone altogether.

Xando

Yeah that already seems like a major hurdle. Especially after May ruled out ECJ last year and the EU parliament threatened to veto if EU citizens lose their rights. We won't even get to the FTA if they don't resolve these issues.

Also just saw this:
Germany proposed charging Britain for EU single market access: magazine

German government officials have proposed giving Britain access to the European Union's single market in return for a fee, Focus magazine said on Saturday citing a Finance Ministry report.

The 35-page report on the potential costs of Brexit to Germany said Britain's departure from the EU risked "serious economic and stability relevant consequences; effects in particular on the real economy."

The ministry officials calculated Berlin would have to pay an additional 4.5 billion euros ($5 billion) a year into EU coffers as a result of Britain's departure from the bloc.

To mitigate the cost, they floated the idea of charging Britain for access to the single market.

"Such a future financial contribution should be used to alleviate the financial consequences of Brexit (reduction in EU spending or increase in payments for other member states)," Focus quoted the officials as saying.

A Finance Ministry spokesman declined to comment on the Focus report when contacted by Reuters.

Brexit would also put additional strain on German tax and customs officials as there would be new tax liabilities for products and services bought from British companies, the report said. ($1 = 0.9096 euros)

PJV3

Don’t know about crumble, but let’s face it, it’s not like it’s gonna to be plain sailing for the EU from here onwards either. Losing any one of the big 3 is a bit like losing an arm or a leg, sure you can probably still function without one, but it won’t be the same.

Also, wtf was Juncker thinking with a stupid jibe like that? English losing importance? What’s he’s trying to do? Insult and rally the entire Anglosphere against EU? Anyways like it or not, my point is there will be reciprocal damage. Frankly, if I have the chance to move anywhere, I’ll get away from this euro blast zone altogether.

Crumble referred to the negotiations, I don't think anyone has said it would be cost free for the EU if we actually went.

There's going to be a deal or there isn't, the UK producing a kamikaze document isn't helpful.

theaface

Ah, so the political equivalent of a relationship where the psycho girlfriend/boyfriend says "If you ever leave me I'll kill myself". Good stuff.

The thing that strikes me as curious about this (aside from the obvious) is that the Government might feel it needs to publish anything to demonstrate to the EU that it really is ready to play that particular game of chicken, as if everything they've done up until now runs contrary to that course.

*Splinter

Funny how May was talking about keeping her cards close to her chest earlier, and now the one piece of information that might have been worth keeping private is the first thing they publish.

Actually maybe "funny" isn't the right word.

Xando

How much is Canada paying for CETA, out of interest?

Nothing i believe. But they also only have basic access to the SM and still have to pay tarifs in some areas (agricultural) and does not cover services at all (which is the most important for the UK).

First of all, trade in goods. The EU and Canada have agreed to scrap 100% of tariff lines on industrial and fisheries products – nearly all of them upon entry into force of CETA, and the rest after transition periods of up to seven years. As regards agricultural products, the EU and Canada will eliminate 93.8% and 91.7% of tariff lines respectively – again, nearly all of them on the day CETA enters into force and the rest after seven years.

Second, public procurement – an area that is sometimes undervalued but is potentially worth hundreds of billions. CETA brings about significant liberalisation, particularly on the Canadian side – since European companies will be allowed to bid for public contracts in Canada at all levels of government (with some limitations in the Provinces of Québec and Ontario).

Third, CETA does not involve Canada paying into the EU budget or signing up to EU rules on the free movement of people in return for increased market access.

Now for the not-so-good stuff. Some agricultural products deemed sensitive (e.g. eggs or chicken and turkey meat) are not covered by CETA, while for some others (e.g. beef or sweetcorn) duty-free access will only be granted for limited quantities. In other words, under a Canada-style relationship with the EU after Brexit, UK farmers would be partly exposed to EU tariffs – a step backwards from the current situation.

More generally, with some limited exceptions (e.g. for Canadian carmakers), trade in goods under CETA will be largely based on EU rules of origin – which are used to determine whether a sufficient proportion of a product is actually ‘Made in Canada' and can therefore benefit from reduced or zero tariffs in the EU. Outside the EU's customs union, UK exports of goods would need to comply with extra bureaucratic customs checks, which could raise costs particularly for those firms with complex supply chains. Furthermore, the UK would also lose its vote over the setting of EU regulations and product standards. These are all important points, given that the EU would continue to be the UK's largest trading partner for the foreseeable future no matter the outcome of the June referendum.

But arguably the biggest challenge the EU-Canada deal poses as a potential model for UK-EU relations after Brexit is that it only grants limited services liberalisation – by no means comparable to being a member of the single market. While CETA does introduce further openings in areas such as mining, postal services and maritime transport, hundreds of pages are devoted to listing ‘reservations' to liberalisation commitments – that is, Canadian and EU carve-outs from the deal.

As regards financial services more specifically, CETA does not prevent the EU and Canada from keeping a number of regulatory and licensing requirements in place. In order to take advantage of the EU financial services ‘passport', for instance, Canadian firms will have to establish a presence in the EU and comply with EU regulations. Therefore, the ‘Canadian model' could ultimately make it harder for UK-based financial services firms to sell into the EU market.
http://openeurope.org.uk/today/blog/what-could-the-eu-canada-free-trade-deal-tell-us-about-brexit/

It's definitely not good for the EU either, that much is true. But it's far worse for the UK. Plus the EU might actually gain some things (see those banking jobs) while the UK is poised to be on the losing side for everything.

oti

Banned
Reuters Top News‏Verifizierter Account
@Reuters

Banks planning to move 9,000 jobs from Britain because of Brexit

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...=topNews&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social

Frankfurt and Dublin are emerging as the biggest winners from the relocation plans. Six of the 13 banks favor opening a new office or moving the bulk their operations to Frankfurt. Three of the banks will look to expand in Dublin.

Deutsche Bank (DBKGn.DE) said on Apr. 26 up to 4,000 UK jobs could be moved to Frankfurt and other locations in the EU as a result of Brexit - the largest potential move of any bank.

JPMorgan last week announced plans to move hundreds of roles to three European cities in the next two years. This is still significantly lower than the 4,000 figure JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon first estimated before the vote.

Most banks are working on the assumption that this is the most likely outcome of the separation talks and would involve losing access to the single market with no special financial services deal and no transition period.

Also, a Twitter response. For funnsies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
One thing I'm looking forward is Macron's stance on Brexit. We know he'll be though, but most of all, we know he'll be vocal, which should be a nice change given the absurd focus on everything Merkel.

Beefy

Stephanie McMahon on This Morning, chatting about how she battled to were she is in the WWE through hard work. Nothing about her dad owning the company... guess we will have Ivanka over next. I blame the news and TV as a whole for a lot of the crap we are in.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Stephanie McMahon on , chatting about how she battled to were she is in the WWE through hard work. Nothing about her dad owning the company... guess we will have Ivanka over next. I blame the news and TV as a whole for a lot of the crap we are in.
So delightfully non sequitur, yet so appropriate.

Beefy

So delightfully non sequitur, yet so appropriate.

Nope posted it in here as I see it as part of the problem with the UK. TV as a whole is influencing people big time. We have about 100 catching benefit cheats programmes all making out people on benefits are utter scum. We have had programmes saying how the EU has elected people in it that steal money. We have about 1000 programmes on how illegal migrants get into the UK and how some get illegal underpaid jobs ( they taking our jobs crap). Then we have the shows that think people like Stephanie and Ivanka are people to look up to

Kind of sad when you look at it all.

Irminsul

One thing I'm looking forward is Macron's stance on Brexit. We know he'll be though, but most of all, we know he'll be vocal, which should be a nice change given the absurd focus on everything Merkel.
Well, as we learnt yesterday, Macron is just Merkel's puppet anyway. Or something.

Theonik

Do the people who write that not understand how government works, Farage cannot jump up, say he has won and assume control, despite 'winning' he was as powerless as he was previously.
He should have continued to work in UK politics in an effort to try and affect the outcome to the one that he promised. Him stepping up from UKIP leadership trying to cash his success for his own personal financial gain should tell the people that somehow didn't pick up on his moral character or lack thereof everything they need to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom