• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This thread is for stupid GAMING questions that don't deserve their own thread

Siegmeyer

Am I wrong that months ago the Wii U got an update to stop the disc spinning when you weren't playing a game?

I can't remember if it ever worked on mine but I use the browser a lot and it's annoying having to remove the disc each time because of the noise. Yes I have the latest system update, just wondering if anybody has the same problem and/or if there is a fix.

Was the Wii name given to Nintendo's last console as a way to make a cheeky reference to Apple's 'i' labeling?

No it doesn't appear to be the case

Nintendo's spelling of "Wii" (with two lower-case "i" characters) is meant to resemble two people standing side-by-side (representing players gathering together) and to represent the Wii Remote and Nunchuk.[29] The company has given many reasons for this name choice since the announcement; however, the best known is:

“ Wii sounds like 'we', which emphasizes that the console is for everyone. Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion.[29]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii#Name

How does the original Rock Band kit bundle, so the mic, guitar, and drums, connect to the PS3? I'd assume they'd all connect via a USB/to a wireless dongle, but there's 3 things to connect and only two USB slots on the PS3. Do I need to get USB hub to connect them all, or does everything connect to a single dongle?

Also, can the PS2 GHIII guitar (the one with the dongle) be used on the PS3 for the Rock Band games? I'm guessing no, but I never know :lol.

Shion

Who's the artist of these drawings?

8HsafQm.jpg

ewC62YR.jpg

QawBSxe.jpg

Is it Hideo Minaba?

Earlier this year Patrick Klepek had a guest on his show that's a journalist inside a space mmo.. Eve? And the journalist was working on a book of the most interesting stories from within the game. Does anyone remember what that guy's name is or the name of his book? And did the book come out yet? Some of the stuff he talked about was fascinating.

Slixshot

Banned

Dunkley

I bought all multiplats on PS3 last gen just for not having to deal with possible RRODs, but a lot of people have replaced their launch PS3 by now since it broke for them, so I wonder how long on average a PS3 holds before you would need to replace it.

how much internet usage does streaming on ps4 use, on 'hd' settings?

does it use my 'upload' usage.

Streaming to what? A Vita? To Twitch?

If it's uploading footage (versus downloading streaming content to be watched) it will use your upload bandwidth and likely use as much as it can get away with.

ShaneB

Is there seriously no third party controller options for a ps4? For what little gaming I do I can barely stand to use the DS4 compared to the Xbox layout.

Volotaire

How can I tell when my PS3 saved games data has been uploaded to the cloud with PS Plus? I'm selecting the option one by one for each game I need, but I don;t know if it has done it or not. Can I check this online somehow?

TomShoe

Banned
How can I tell when my PS3 saved games data has been uploaded to the cloud with PS Plus? I'm selecting the option one by one for each game I need, but I don;t know if it has done it or not. Can I check this online somehow?

Normally it should tell you once you start up your PS3. Make sure you have auto-upload to cloud enabled. When I boot up my PS3 for the first time of the day it'll tell me what it's done while I was sleeping, like download patches or upload save data.

Is there seriously no third party controller options for a ps4? For what little gaming I do I can barely stand to use the DS4 compared to the Xbox layout.

Not really. It takes time for technology to advance so that the insides of a PS4 controller can be reproduced and sold for cheaper, much like how you can get generic PS3 controllers for $10 (even though they suck).

I'd just get used to it, since it's sort of like learning to do something with the opposite hand. You get used to it. If it bothers you that much, try the CronusMAX controller adapter.

I bought all multiplats on PS3 last gen just for not having to deal with possible RRODs, but a lot of people have replaced their launch PS3 by now since it broke for them, so I wonder how long on average a PS3 holds before you would need to replace it.

Depends on how well you treat it and how often you use it. Just keep it away from dust and humidity, clean it often, and it should last a long time. My PS3 just hit 4 years, and it's still going strong.

Volotaire

Normally it should tell you once you start up your PS3. Make sure you have auto-upload to cloud enabled. When I boot up my PS3 for the first time of the day it'll tell me what it's done while I was sleeping, like download patches or upload save data.

Not really. It takes time for technology to advance so that the insides of a PS4 controller can be reproduced and sold for cheaper, much like how you can get generic PS3 controllers for $10 (even though they suck).

Ok. I also did the manual copy way by going into the save data utility in the PS3 and copying the save data into the cloud storage. The only worry is that LBP won't upload because I haven't got that message and it's not in save data utility folder, but it should be fine.

EDITL I got the message, but I still unsure if I can back up LBP since it didn't do it automatically and it;s not in the save data utility folder.

ShaneB

I'd just get used to it, since it's sort of like learning to do something with the opposite hand. You get used to it. If it bothers you that much, try the CronusMAX controller adapter.

Thanks for the reply. I don't want anything cheaper or all of that :( I just want a controller that is designed like the Xbox controller since I hate where the sticks are on PS4. The little I played on ps3 I even bought a cheap adapter to use my 360 controller. Thought maybe I could get use to it, but perhaps not.

And yeah, I saw that CronusMax thing before, but it's ungodly expensive, and I think I might just trade my ps4 for a Xbox One.

I need to do a 3DS system transfer. Can you tell me exactly what does NOT transfer?

Example 1: when I go into the eShop it remembers my nickname and NNID. After the transfer will it still remember that or will I have to input that all again and dig up my password etc.?
EDIT: I did the transfer. It remembered my name and NNID when I entered the eShop, but before I did the transfer I had to re-enter my password, so I did have to dig it up after all.

Example 2: Will it remember how many play coins I have and my Mii Plaza data (like how far along I am in Find Mii or which puzzle pieces I have?)
EDIT: I found out that it will remember this.
Example 3: I have Link's Awakening DX on Virtual Console. Will it remember my save state? I know it said that my other saved games would work but it seemed less clear on things like that.
EDIT: System transfer was done. It did indeed remember my save state. Whew!

I guess sometimes you have to bite the bullet and check for yourself. I'm leaving these answers up in case they help anyone. You know, the 0.1% chance.

Can you, calling customer support or otherwise, change your psn name?

No, right now it's impossible changing PSN names. You would need to create a new account if you want a different psn name. You could if you have a facebook account link it to your psn account and you could always modify your screen name, however you would need to send out requests for other people to see it.

I'm thinking about getting a new SD card for my 3DS. According to Nintendo's support site, I can just copy my old SD card data over to the new one? There won't be any incompatibility issues doing it this way (no licences to transfer)?

I'm thinking about getting a new SD card for my 3DS. According to Nintendo's support site, I can just copy my old SD card data over to the new one? There won't be any incompatibility issues doing it this way (no licences to transfer)?

See, this one I have the answer to for you.

How do I transfer data from my current memory card, to a new memory card?

What to do:

1.Insert the SD card with the Nintendo 3DS data into the SD card slot or the SD card reader/writer.
2.Open Windows Explorer (for PC) or Finder (for Mac) and access the SD card.
3.Highlight the data and drag it to the desktop.
4.Eject the first SD card.
5.Insert the second SD card into the slot or reader/writer.
6.Using Windows Explorer or Finder, locate and access the SD card again.
7.Drag the data from the desktop to the second SD card.

Just a thought but if you're buying a new SD card, you may as well look into micro SD cards with SD adapters so that if for instance you wanted to resuse that same card in a New 3DS or a android phone or whatever it'd be compatible with those as well

GreenFear

Banned
I want to get into the Metal Gear Solid series before MGS V comes out. Which MGS games should I play prior to the MGS 5 release to understand the story? Should I play the original metal gear games for NES? And would I be okay story wise for MGS V if I skipped mgs 4, I don't have a ps3. I have a psp, ps2, and xbox 360.

I want to get into the Metal Gear Solid series before MGS V comes out. Which MGS games should I play prior to the MGS 5 release to understand the story? Should I play the original metal gear games for NES? And would I be okay story wise for MGS V if I skipped mgs 4, I don't have a ps3. I have a psp, ps2, and xbox 360.
I suggest you stick with the main series, i.e. Metal Gear Solid 1, 2, 3, and 4. There is a plot summary of the NES games in Metal Gear Solid (PS1) if you want to read more about the backstory. Skipping MGS4 and Peace Walker will cause you to miss out on portions of the convoluted story.

The other games in the series are also worth playing, but unless you have unlimited time on your hands it might be smart to start with something more feasible.

How often does new raid content get done for MMOs? Is there a regular frequency?

Just wondering in case of Destiny, because no one knows for that game and people are still going on about the one raid which was 3 weeks ago.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Hey guys, I'm looking to purchase a used old school handheld on the cheap without wi-fi capability, and I don't know the differences between OG Gameboy, GB Color, and GB Advance.

Are they backwards compatible? Would you recommend one (or something else)?

I'm basically just needing something simple for a trip where I can have some good old classics, a dash of Mario, maybe LTTP, maybe Metroid.

Can anybody give me a quick crash course on what might be best for what I'm looking for?

emb

Hey guys, I'm looking to purchase a used old school handheld on the cheap without wi-fi capability, and I don't know the differences between OG Gameboy, GB Color, and GB Advance.

Are they backwards compatible? Would you recommend one (or something else)?

I'm basically just needing something simple for a trip where I can have some good old classics, a dash of Mario, maybe LTTP, maybe Metroid.

Can anybody give me a quick crash course on what might be best for what I'm looking for?
The GameBoy Advance can play games from GB, GBC, and GBA. I think that's probably the best option. Many SPs have worn out batteries though, not sure how easily replaced those are. The original model is great, but has no backlight. The Micro is good too, but a little cramped for my hands (actually, I can't remember if the Micro is backwards compatible. Should be, I think). You definitely want some kind of GBA though. Great library, and great back catalog to work with.

The GBC is backwards compatible with the Gameboy. The GB is even forwards compatible with some GBC games; the ones with the black cartridges instead of the clear ones can be played on a normal Gameboy.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
The GameBoy Advance can play games from GB, GBC, and GBA. I think that's probably the best option. Many SPs have worn out batteries though, not sure how easily replaced those are. The original model is great, but has no backlight. The Micro is good too, but a little cramped for my hands (actually, I can't remember if the Micro is backwards compatible. Should be, I think). You definitely want some kind of GBA though. Great library, and great back catalog to work with.

The GBC is backwards compatible with the Gameboy. The GB is even forwards compatible with some GBC games; the ones with the black cartridges instead of the clear ones can be played on a normal Gameboy.

Sweet thank you. For a Mario game: I forget if I should go for 3 or World. ehh?

Oh and I guess they don't take normal batteries?

emb

Sweet thank you. For a Mario game: I forget if I should go for 3 or World. ehh?
Why not both? :)

3 vs World is a hard call, that's really just up to preference. I like World more in general, but for whatever reason the handheld port doesn't feel as good to me as the port of 3.

Edit:
Oh and I guess they don't take normal batteries?
GB, GB Pocket, GB Color and GB Advance (original model) all take normal batteries. I want to say all are AA except GB Pocket. But I can't remember for sure what takes what.

Game Boy Advance SP and Micro have internal rechargeable batteries, and come standard with a charge cable/power adapter. The only problem is that they're pretty old, and as they run out of charge cycles, the battery life starts declining. My SPs only last an hour or two now on a full charge. Anyway, you can't use normal AA or AAA batteries for these.

CHC

How often does new raid content get done for MMOs? Is there a regular frequency?

Just wondering in case of Destiny, because no one knows for that game and people are still going on about the one raid which was 3 weeks ago.

It takes a long time. WoW for example is on the slower end and maybe gets about 3-4 raids a year. Not sure what Destiny is aiming for but 3 weeks isn't much time for a new raid to become "old".

Hi Everyone,

just arrived in the US and want to get a new ''gaming'' laptop. two questions:

What are the best outlets to buy one? Newegg seems promising.

Is there a specific time that the US greatly discounts them? I am here for a year, by current laptop is bearable so I could wait for Christmas if it makes a huge difference.

Budget is around 1000 bucks. SSD is certainly a pro. A version of Lenevo y50 has the 860m and 8Gb SSD which I assume is only for windows 8.1.

thanks for any help.

emb

Hi Everyone,

just arrived in the US and want to get a new ''gaming'' laptop. two questions:

What are the best outlets to buy one? Newegg seems promising.

Is there a specific time that the US greatly discounts them? I am here for a year, by current laptop is bearable so I could wait for Christmas if it makes a huge difference.

Budget is around 1000 bucks. SSD is certainly a pro. A version of Lenevo y50 has the 860m and 8Gb SSD which I assume is only for windows 8.1.

thanks for any help.
I don't have a lot of experience PC shopping, but Newegg has been good in my experiences.

Discounts around here are usually biggest around Black Friday. It's the Friday after Thanksgiving. You can usually get some deals, but it can be tough to click fast enough (online) or to fight through crowds (in stores).

I don't have a lot of experience PC shopping, but New Egg has been good in my experiences.

Discounts around here are usually biggest around Black Friday. It's the Friday after Thanksgiving. You can usually get some deals, but it can be tough to click fast enough (online) or to fight through crowds (in stores).

Haha,

if the video's on youtube (and even European news tv) are any indication of the insanity in shopping malls in the US ill pass ;)

However I didnt know that also went for websites. I can hit f5 like a boss haha

Does someone else have a tip when is best to buy? Or maybe no significant price drops are on the horizon so just go for a laptop now?

SerTapTap

Haha,

if the video's on youtube (and even European news tv) are any indication of the insanity in shopping malls in the US ill pass ;)

However I didnt know that also went for websites. I can hit f5 like a boss haha

Does someone else have a tip when is best to buy? Or maybe no significant price drops are on the horizon so just go for a laptop now?

You'll definitely want to wait for the week of black friday and pick off components around then. Always look at Amazon and Newegg, they like to match or beat each other's discounts on PC parts, and Amazon's easier to get free shipping from unless you have shoprunner.

You'll definitely want to wait for the week of black friday and pick off components around then. Always look at Amazon and Newegg, they like to match or beat each other's discounts on PC parts, and Amazon's easier to get free shipping from unless you have shoprunner.

I am looking for a laptop, not building a pc, but im sure that doesnt change anything.

Thanks ill wait for that then :)

RickGhastly

Neo Member
Can a PS4 camera record during gameplay for saving rather than just livestreaming? I was going to pick one up for Alien Isolation & Evil Within but anyone who'd actually watch my videos have next to no interest in Twitch.

I thought this'd be something I'd easily find an answer for, but no luck so far.

Top Bottom