• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This thread is for stupid GAMING questions that don't deserve their own thread

Is there a thread for sharing 3ds friend codes? Searched and got nothing.

They tend to hide inside community threads for specific games. I remember seeing them a lot in things like the Animal Crossing and Pokemon X/Y threads. If you need friends in general, your best bet might be to try looking in the Smash Bros 3DS thread. If you're looking for friends in a specific game, go there.

Tenck

Trying to broaden my taste in games a bit and thought I'd start by playing some critically acclaimed ones. Anyone have some sort of list of people have created with people's votes?

I'd like to avoid ones from IGN if possible or metacritic.

maxcriden

Trying to broaden my taste in games a bit and thought I'd start by playing some critically acclaimed ones. Anyone have some sort of list of people have created with people's votes?

I'd like to avoid ones from IGN if possible or metacritic.

Do a Google search for "NeoGAF game of the year" and you'll find some previous years' lists of winners, as chosen by the community.

Kjellson

Where can I get this P.T. thing people are going on about? Is it on the PlayStation Store? I can't find it.

Edit: Never mind! Found it! Couldn't search for it though.

MrBS

Work has asked me to find them a spooky/halloween themed Wii game we can play at work for some halloween themed fun

• Safe for work, no guns or gore ideal
  • Needs some kind of mini game with high score and/or local coop component
  • Needs to be a PAL retail game not digital
To date work already ended up with a Scooby Doo game which offers nothing for coop etc and Boom Blocks (lol) which apparently has a skin for the blocks that is halloween themed but the complaint with that one is that its 'too boring'.

Any ideas? I'm struggling!

storl026

Work has asked me to find them a spooky/halloween themed Wii game we can play at work for some halloween themed fun

• Safe for work, no guns or gore ideal
  • Needs some kind of mini game with high score and/or local coop component
  • Needs to be a PAL retail game not digital
To date work already ended up with a Scooby Doo game which offers nothing for coop etc and Boom Blocks (lol) which apparently has a skin for the blocks that is halloween themed but the complaint with that one is that its 'too boring'.

Any ideas? I'm struggling!

That's a really specific request (a game of Halloween - themed minigames) that I honestly don't think exists anywhere. If it does, it's probably garbage cash-in schlock for PC. The closest thing to what you're asking that has no guns/gore would be the Haunted House levels of New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and some of the tracks on Mario Kart Wii.

The best "Halloween" MP games on Wii all have guns/gore (in order of gore, least to most): House of the Dead 2&3 Return, Resident Evil Chronicles series, Dead Space Extraction, House of the Dead Overkill (really NSFW).

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
has there ever been an explanation about the meaning of the Smash logo?

SmashBrosSymbol.png

Red Mage

A way back one for you: Why did the Seiken Densetsu 3 soundtrack sound so grainy/dirty compared to the SD2 soundtrack?

maxcriden

has there ever been an explanation about the meaning of the Smash logo?

SmashBrosSymbol.png

Via SSB wiki:

This derives from the first Super Smash Bros game for the Nintendo 64. This game was based on a young child's room. The Smash symbol is supposedly the sun shining through the window frame in the room.

http://supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/Series_symbol

Not sure if this is a credible source, though. I also read that it might be a plus/cross symbol to literally represent a crossover.

SerTapTap

Folklore for PS3 is selling for 75 dollars on Amazon. Why doesn't Sony put on the digital Playstation store?

Common assumption is people don't want to buy a game without trophy support and Sony probably doesn't consider it worth it to add trophies.

I think it's super shitty but it may just be true. Lots of early retail games still aren't available digitally, even those Sony owns, and basically all of them are without trophy support.

Game is really interesting and fun BTW. IF you can get a used copy in acceptable condition it might be good to pick up. Not flawless, but pretty unique and fun. I got a bit burnt out when I realized it was pulling the "beat the game with both characters" thing (the characters/areas they play in are different, but still), finally went back and finished this year. It deserves to be on PSN.

Common assumption is people don't want to buy a game without trophy support and Sony probably doesn't consider it worth it to add trophies.

I think it's super shitty but it may just be true. Lots of early retail games still aren't available digitally, even those Sony owns, and basically all of them are without trophy support.

Game is really interesting and fun BTW. IF you can get a used copy in acceptable condition it might be good to pick up. Not flawless, but pretty unique and fun. I got a bit burnt out when I realized it was pulling the "beat the game with both characters" thing (the characters/areas they play in are different, but still), finally went back and finished this year. It deserves to be on PSN.

I've never even opened my copy of Folklore. Have been meaning to play it.

dock

Last of Us question:

I have completed the game, but I could never figure out why I sometimes couldn't use my last items to craft a medi-pack or a molotov. What was going on?

SerTapTap

I've never even opened my copy of Folklore. Have been meaning to play it.

Don't forget to look for DLC in the store, there's some free folks and stuff that are neat. I think it was my first DLC ever actually.

Last of Us question:

I have completed the game, but I could never figure out why I sometimes couldn't use my last items to craft a medi-pack or a molotov. What was going on?

You can only carry like 2 of each whatever, you might have just been full on medkits? That or missing one of the 2 items required to craft would be my only other ideas.

SerTapTap

Any import Xboxers able to answer this? How much pain will I be in if I get a US Xbox One, use it primarily (ideally only) with a Japanese account, but still want to buy US games digitally? I hear you can switch stores now? I need the JP account because all my 360 games are Japanese (as is the console), and may as well keep the account if I can, and if there are still region issues I guess I'll have the JP account if I need any DLC for shmups and stuff (a primary reason I'll get one if I do and there are lots of them). I'm physically located in the US, but I'm yet to hit an IP block and certainly hope/assume the One doesn't add one.

I've used JP + US accounts on the same PS3, if there's any relevant comparisons there.

frontovik

Banned
Noob question: Is it feasible to order an Oculus RIft headset (developer kit)? I understand it's still in development but is also undergoing testing by the public. The website mentioned it's for development use only, but posts indicate several GAF members have acquired a model?

Is it user friendly to set-up? Or should I just wait until the final product is released for consumers?

jacket320

Is there a way to replace the plug-in PS4 headset that came with the console? I think I lost mine in a move and could use a replacement. I was looking around amazon but can't seem to find it.

stn

Is there a way to copy music to the Xbox 360 without burning it to a music CD first? I want to use the custom soundtrack option for one game in particular. I haven't kept track on all the system updates and how they may have brought changes to this function. Thanks!

3bdelilah

Banned
Hello ladies and gents, I have an LG 27EA33V and according to a lot of websites it supposedly has a refresh rate of 75Hz. But whenever I game and enable V-Sync, it gets locked at 60fps. Obviously not a big deal, but might as well lock it at 75Hz if that's possible. So is that information about it being 75 incorrect or is there a way to increase the current 60? Can't find any information about it on Google.

stealth edit: some websites even say "56 - 75 Hz", not sure what to make of that...

3bdelilah

Banned
Which is the better platform to play the Mass Effect trilogy, 360 or PC?

If you have a pc capable of running the trilogy 1080/60, then definitely pc due to much more options for visuals and mods. But in terms of reviews, they both are very close to each other, with ME1 and ME2 having slightly better scores on X360, and ME3 slightly better on pc.

Right it must be one single 3.5mm line-in with both microphone and audio out on it, not two separate 3.5mm lines

For the sake of completeness, is it the same connector that is used in (some) cell phones? Asking because a "converter" from that to 2 jacks is right behind me, might be a nice idea to buy some for my friends if they have PS4s.

For the sake of completeness, is it the same connector that is used in (some) cell phones? Asking because a "converter" from that to 2 jacks is right behind me, might be a nice idea to buy some for my friends if they have PS4s.

Yes it's the same standard headphone jack as is standard on cellphones

Ecto311

I have an Xbox one in my living room and one in another room - is it possible to switch the output of the Xbox one to the monitor in my living room so 2 people could play in the same room? So the Xbox one in another room would be sending its signal to my monitor and the sound out of my controller adapter. Tried a switch from amazon but they don't switch the output side just the input side for a few different things to be connected to a tv.

So here's one...

This weekend, I got two emails one after the other from Sony Entertainment Network telling me that I have updated my email address and updated my password for Sony Entertainment Network (I'm assuming PSN, it's the only Sony service I have). Of course it says, if you did not update these things please contact support here... And the support link goes to a page of FAQs without any way to contact Sony other than emailing their legal department (which I had to hunt for).

So, I did send their legal dept an email hoping they could forward it along, and I hit up their Twitter account.

I don't have a PS4 and my PS3 has been in a box for like 12 months. Luckily, my credit card on account should be expired so I don't think anybody could actually buy anything.

Any suggestions? Can you login to PSN online to find out? I went to the PSN site but couldn't find a login area.. just looked like a bunch of ads.

SerTapTap

So here's one...

This weekend, I got two emails one after the other from Sony Entertainment Network telling me that I have updated my email address and updated my password for Sony Entertainment Network (I'm assuming PSN, it's the only Sony service I have). Of course it says, if you did not update these things please contact support here... And the support link goes to a page of FAQs without any way to contact Sony other than emailing their legal department (which I had to hunt for).

So, I did send their legal dept an email hoping they could forward it along, and I hit up their Twitter account.

I don't have a PS4 and my PS3 has been in a box for like 12 months. Luckily, my credit card on account should be expired so I don't think anybody could actually buy anything.

Any suggestions? Can you login to PSN online to find out? I went to the PSN site but couldn't find a login area.. just looked like a bunch of ads.

Log in here and you can set your password, reset it if you forgot, manage payment info etc.

Log in here and you can set your password, reset it if you forgot, manage payment info etc.

Thanks!

Went to login..
"Password incorrect -- click here to reset password," go to reset my PW and the account details had been changed, email isn't on record anymore.

Eh. Looks like my account was compromised. Should be mostly safe because the CC on record is old as hell, haven't updated it in years.

But.. still a pain in the ass going to try to get some support from Sony. Hopefully it's not like how it was after the hacking incident years ago where getting any support for individual accounts was basically impossible.

SerTapTap

Thanks!

Went to login..
"Password incorrect -- click here to reset password," go to reset my PW and the account details had been changed, email isn't on record anymore.

Eh. Looks like my account was compromised. Should be mostly safe because the CC on record is old as hell, haven't updated it in years.

But.. still a pain in the ass going to try to get some support from Sony. Hopefully it's not like how it was after the hacking incident years ago where getting any support for individual accounts was basically impossible.

I've gotten chat support from Sony that wasn't bad at all. For account info I'm not sure what all they'd need to do, I was just getting a controller replaced. They may need to call for account stuff

hughesta

Banned
So GAF, I started playing silent hill 4 and there's an eyeball on the upper left and pressing X just makes it squirm. The options screen says X is the "examine" button, and its opening doors and selecting option in the menu... Is that eye really just for show?

Hello ladies and gents, I have an LG 27EA33V and according to a lot of websites it supposedly has a refresh rate of 75Hz. But whenever I game and enable V-Sync, it gets locked at 60fps. Obviously not a big deal, but might as well lock it at 75Hz if that's possible. So is that information about it being 75 incorrect or is there a way to increase the current 60? Can't find any information about it on Google.

stealth edit: some websites even say "56 - 75 Hz", not sure what to make of that...

Lower the resolution and you may find higher refresh rates available.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Why does Origin inflate the download speeds so much? I have 10mbs internet, so I can only reach about 1mB/second, yet Origin is all "Yo dude you're downloading between 2-3mB/second!"

I mean what the fuck EA, is it just in your nature to be dishonest about just about everything?

I brought this up in another thread right now, but it's bothering me so much I have to ask in here.

In the game Warhawk, different music would play depending on how well you were doing. If your team was winning, for example, triumphant music would be playing. However, if you've died a few times, a sadder, slower, and more melancholic theme would play.

What's the proper term for this? Is it just contextual music, or does it go by another term?

Rufus

I brought this up in another thread right now, but it's bothering me so much I have to ask in here.

In the game Warhawk, different music would play depending on how well you were doing. If your team was winning, for example, triumphant music would be playing. However, if you've died a few times, a sadder, slower, and more melancholic theme would play.

What's the proper term for this? Is it just contextual music, or does it go by another term?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_music

Doczu

Ok, question for Wii U users.

Just bought the console (yay, i'm loving the gamepad) and i have two stupid noob questions:

1. Letting the console to stay plugged in - good or bad? I've got issues with my Wii because of that connect shit (something went wrong and i've got some green artifacts on my screen when playing). Is it safe now?
2. Charging the gamepad in the craddle when not in use. Is it good for the battery?

Top Bottom