• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |G2.1| "Whatever The Fuck That Means"

Rayme

So the new matchmaking still looks by a single game type each time. The way it looks right now is it picks a game mode then searches, so if other players arent searching that mode at that point they don't get put together. Basically the same as me picking it manually before the update.

Why dont they just take all players online, check what modes they have selected, group em up, pick a random mode in common. So that its drawing from the entire pool of players online. When they announced this, thats what I envisioned.

Live fire mode is fun, but I got my ass kicked, need to practice it more.
We agree. With the matchmaking being server-side, this is what we can do. It's going to be very basic at first, and evolve quickly as needed.

For anyone that is interested, a visual comparison of the new settings vs. the old ones.

This is the standard, old max settings with no framerate target, film grain all the way up, and view/model distances set at their old high value:
32230415024_5573c9e4f2_o.png

Then this is with the target framerate set to 30 so the supersampling really kicks in, film grain off (thank you lord), and view/model distance at their new highest values:

Arrrammis

So far I'm enjoying live fire. First match got me second place on my team (first place got 3 kills, 7 deaths, and one flag cap, apparently that's worth more than 14 kills, 3 deaths, and 0 flag caps), but whatever, it's a win. I get that players should be encouraged to go for the flag, but it should be within reason.
I don't really care that much, but I just thought it was interesting and a bit silly how scoring and ranking works.

Out of the two maps, I can say that stacks is infinitely better than meadow IMO. Meadow is just way too open, only has the outside walls and the two buildings to really move around on, and seems to really promote camping compared to Stacks, where pilots with a good grasp of the movement system can flank over, under around, and have plenty of flat surfaces to move on.

grendelrt

We agree. With the matchmaking being server-side, this is what we can do. It's going to be very basic at first, and evolve quickly as needed.

That's good news, PC at least really needs it. I am getting worse rates right now than before the patch though, attrition used to be around 700ish people on, now its 70-80 showing. Don't know if this is a visual thing or not.

Izuna

Banned
Yeah Rayme, because it puts you in the mode then searches, certain modes are staying dead. ;/

no FFA sadface/ 10 in Bounty Hunt...

no more EPG glitch sadface

;(

~~

I think this matchmaking is killing modes more...

edit: connection dropped, restarting ;/

Izuna

Banned
edit: nvm, back up

I can't believe it, I think this put Bounty Hunt in the coffin. People aren't only searching for it anymore so like, or people are split playing new modes.

RIP

Arrrammis

I will say that it's nice that there are no kill areas (that I've found yet) in Meadow. I was able to cut through a line of tree and bushes, then later stick up in the branches of a tree to survey and kill enemy pilots.

Anyways, Live Fire seems like a great Pilots only mode, especially for premade teams. ATM it's just luck of the draw with randoms, one match they all rush forward and win half the time, other matches they camp in the back with R201's and what have you. Also, Pulse Blade + radar jammer seems like a good combo for team play in this mode, I'll have to try it out if I can get a group going.

Izuna

Banned
Okay so, Bounty Hunt is dead af. FFA didn't come back alive.

I got put into JiP but it said the loss won't matter <3

Hemlok is hilariously useless lmao

EPG splash glitch is gone (rip using Mozambique)

Attrition is 450 (lmao)

Killing a Titan+Pilot with Nuke gives ~50% so getting two may give you your Titan back

--

Seriously fuck JiP, I went into the same map as well...

Gator86

Okay so, Bounty Hunt is dead af. FFA didn't come back alive.

I got put into JiP but it said the loss won't matter <3

Hemlok is hilariously useless lmao

EPG splash glitch is gone

Attrition is 450 (lmao)

Killing a Titan+Pilot with Nuke gives ~50% so getting two may give you your Titan back

Fuck yes. Fuck that nuke cheese. Excited to see nuke use drop into the shitter. Unfortunately, people will actually have to kill other Titans now instead of just suiciding on them now.

Izuna

Banned
Fuck yes. Fuck that nuke cheese. Excited to see nuke use drop into the shitter. Unfortunately, people will actually have to kill other Titans now instead of just suiciding on them now.

I don't understand your reaction. They got rid of you instantly getting your meter back, but it's still a lot.

You're going to see a lot MORE nukes now that everyone is Ronin btw

Continuing with Izuna's stream

A teammate put down their Tone shield and it was immediately deleted by an Ion? Not sure if it was some kind of bug, visual or other, but it was satisfying to watch lol

Also, Izuna was rodeoing a Ronin and didn't pull their battery even though the entire animation played out. I didn't see the Ronin Phase Shift

Gator86

I don't understand your reaction. They got rid of you instantly getting your meter back, but it's still a lot.

You're going to see a lot MORE nukes now that everyone is Ronin btw

I am guessing a lot of the Tone kids and gonna run to Ronin, but the dash core buff might cancel that out somewhat. The dash core and nuke changes together might alleviate some of the nuke spam, but I think it'll take the inclusion of more attractive kit options to really address it.

Getting half a meter versus a whole meter is a big change. Also, no meter from damage now also requires you to get the kill. I would have loved no meter, but I'll take this. You get a free kill because someone got blocked by a reaper, that's reward enough.

Livefire is pretty bad, one of the worst elimination modes I have played. Because of the simplicity of the maps, and their linear nature, it's predictable every single time. Even if your opponents aren't, the simplistic map structure makes it easy to anticipate the round ahead.

Just finished a round with 21 and 3, the next up on my team has 3 kills. The game mode doesn't promote the fast paced, wall running and whatnot that it advertised. It promotes getting to a spot as fast as possible, taking point, locking the map down. I've had incredible success using stim to get to where I want to be asap, then just mowing the team down as they come around the corner.

The flag is pointless, sure it forces a game to end if someone is camping, however it puts you on the map for doing so, so if it's down to a 1 vs 1, the other player camping can merely watch the flag. Taking the flag early will just get you killed in this situation, due to the radar.

Whatever. Just going to take it off the playlist selection. The new custom mixtape playlist feature is amazing.

Izuna

Banned
End of Stream

~~

Yeah I dunno.

My following opinion isn't of the game's quality, but of my enjoyment.

New Custom Playlist is done all wrong. It hasn't saved any mode. The combination of adding Live Fire and only MMing after it selecting a mode has put the final nail in the coffin for Bounty Hunt (rip).

EPG Glitch going means no more Mozambique for me, which isn't fun tbh.

I played 4? matches of Attrition.

Drydock
Eden JiP
Eden JiP (wtf)
Drydock

So yeah, I dunno. The game is less enjoyable for me, regardless of balance changes they've made.

Oh yeah and Live Fire is butt

Also, Izuna was rodeoing a Ronin and didn't pull their battery even though the entire animation played out. I didn't see the Ronin Phase Shift

Yeah WTF, ;(

Cels

the custom mixtape feature is not what i hoped it would be. in fact i would argue that it is complete garbage.

here's what i hoped it would be:
you pick the few modes you want to queue for, e.g. LTS/bountyhunt/CTF, the game searches for them all at once and puts you in the first available game

here's how it seems to actually work:
the game puts you into a queue for only ONE of the modes you selected, if there is no one playing that particular mode you'll be searching forever

damn i had hopes for custom mixtape reviving some of the deader PC modes but i guess it's not happening

Izuna

Banned
the custom mixtape feature is not what i hoped it would be. in fact i would argue that it is complete garbage.

you pick the few modes you want to queue for, e.g. LTS/bountyhunt/CTF, the game searches for them all at once and puts you in the first available game

here's how it seems to actually work:
the game puts you into a queue for only ONE of the modes you selected, if there is no one playing that particular mode you'll be searching forever

So people will remove it from their playlist and BOOM, they will never revisit it

Gator86

Still excited to get home and try it myself but from overall impressions, the new matchmaking service is garbage, live fire sucks, and all of the things "nerfed" are exactly the same. Wow. Obviously these are people's early impressions, but still, wow...

Izuna

Banned
Still excited to get home and try it myself but from overall impressions, the new matchmaking service is garbage, live fire sucks, and all of the things "nerfed" are exactly the same. Wow. Obviously these are people's early impressions, but still, wow...

Hemlok got neutered

Dunno about Devotion but I imagine the same.

Rayme

That's where it'll get to soon. All that will get worked on with server-side updates. Eventually it'll just consider all modes, and hand you one (like you're expecting).

In the meantime, there are quick config tweaks we can do to not sit stuck on one forever, and people can hit the Skip button manually.

Izuna

Banned
That's where it'll get to soon. All that will get worked on with server-side updates. Eventually it'll just consider all modes, and hand you one (like you're expecting).

In the meantime, there are quick config tweaks we can do to not sit stuck on one forever, and people can hit the Skip button manually.

But by that point, people who removed the modes that don't work won't be reenabling them, especially the casuals who would play FFA if it weren't impossible to get a game ;(

I think if the update does indeed happen, please re-enable then all on for everyone.

I'll try on Saturday or something, maybe FFA and/or Bounty Hunt will revitalise, but it looks like they won't ;(

Rayme

But by that point, people who removed the modes that don't work won't be reenabling them, especially the casuals who would play FFA if it weren't impossible to get a game ;(

I think if the update does indeed happen, please re-enable then all on for everyone.
Yes; we can reset the checkboxes. This is the one case I think it'd be right to do so.

Gator86

https://www.reddit.com/r/titanfall/comments/5vt9il/detailed_patch_notes_include_specific_numbers/

Regarding future content

Seems to include previous changes

Relic looks to be making a return?

Some of these tweaks... and this

lol

Just saw that post and was about to share it here. Respawn should just post more detailed notes. It took people less than half a dozen hours to post details anyway. Just provide them and add a short rationalization for each thing which would go a long way to addressing confusion as to why things were done.

Im sorry Respawn, but I cant stand live fire

Its predictably a campfest with very little room for anything remotely tactical, tense, or otherwise enjoyable gameplay. Its like you hamfisted a mode that just doesnt work for the kind of game titanfall is.

Maps are designed in such a way to either rush or stay back, and its not really enjoyable as the maps dont have tunnels or alleyways as much as it feels like open space

It doesnt feel like it plays to the game's strenghts at all but instead chases after a kind of fan that I dont think would buy titanfall for it

I like bounty hunt and attrition but cant find the excitement in this mode. The game just isnt built for it and there was enough in the way of pvp to not need a mode like this

I also cant help but think this is designed to appeal to an esports audience or something. Im not a fan at all that maps have to be dedicated to such a mode

I just want more classic maps for the classic modes and Id have loved a new mode akin to trying to make something appealing to what titanfall is about

I know we have 4 solid main modes, and I assume thats the logic in making live fire but it feels really bad to have a mode that needs its exclusive resources to make

I feel a basic mode like Kill Confirmed or something that combines multiple modes into one (think Killzone or Bounty from Uncharted) would have been much more novel while utilizing existing maps

Anywho, Im happy with the balance changes with the titans

jm89

All you had to do respawn was add another row onto the menu, not redesign the entire thing ffs.

Oh and the hemlok is still beast :)

Izuna

Banned
In these leaked patch notes...

Please stop with the PvP modes.

~~

Co-op based on Bounty Hunt? Gee, I really hope not, that would actually be super disappointing. Hopefully it's just similar in name and that's it.

~~

I hate to say it but Relic was one o the weaker Titanfall maps. I have a feeling this stuff has been planned since way back

Jesus those leaked pvp modes sound terrible. Whyyy.

A 2v2 mode with a bleedout mechanic sounds like trash.

Its like they want to make two different MP games.

RAID sounds great if titans are involved. Sounds like Sabotage from cod4. I wish theyd add that in like now because all I really play is Bounty Hunt and Attirition and those modes are similar

Harpdoint feels like junk because of the changes they made to it and ctf is sadly unplayed

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the new changes. The ability to choose what game you want to play is incredibly confusing and the new mode isn't great.

If I'm being honest, I'm incredibly disappointed after this is the first update since the last map 2 months ago.

Izuna

Banned
I'll describe 1.03 update as

RiP Bounty Hunt

Hip-firing SMGs and Phase Shift (with more Ronin)

Was as Reddit starts complaining about Phase Shift

~~

I have one request Respawn if you don't mind. Could you make the Mastiff more like the Mozambique? Since EPG ain't the powerful anti-Titan weapon it once was, is there a way I can do something that's like Mozambique + Archer instead?

Gator86

Agreed with all the people confused by the PvP modes. Why? What is the point? Why continue to double down on the least remarkable part of your franchise? Introduce more maps and more Titans. People still want frontier defense back. This doesn't seem like it's rocket science.

Top Bottom